NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 01-28-2023, 02:57 PM
James M.

Default Forgotten Bands/Artists/Groups That You Love?

I use the term "Forgotten" loosely, in a way that they are no longer in the consciousness of the mainstream audiences of America. Across genre's I feel for every band or artist, that has transcended time, there are many, many more that don't get as much love.

One of my favorites, that doesn't get nearly enough love is the band, Poco. Songs like Call it Love, Crazy Love and Heart of The Night, are excellent in my opinion.

Who are your favorite bands, artists or groups that you don't see too many people talking about nowadays?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:02 PM
Al Wright

Saw Poco back in the '70's in NYC. Opened the show with "Kind Woman", spectacular!
Old 01-28-2023, 03:13 PM
Bob C.

Hawkwind!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2023, 03:44 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

The Squeeze from the late 70's and 80's and they were consider New Wave or Post Punk

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-28-2023, 04:43 PM
Murr the Blurr

New York Dolls. Dean & The Weenies.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:22 PM

Default Forgotten

Badfinger, Simple Minds- Trent King
Old 01-28-2023, 06:34 PM
Rob

I saw The Squeeze at McAlister Auditorium in the mid 80's. Here's another, Portland band, Seafood Mama.

By the way, the famous actor, Michael Jordan is hosting SNL tonight. There is also another guy called Michael Jordan who played basketball a long time ago.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:20 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
The Squeeze from the late 70's and 80's and they were consider New Wave or Post Punk
Their first album was quite good. I like 'Take Me I'm Yours'. I saw them just after Jools left the band in the early 1980's. Patti Austin does a great version of "Another Nail in (for) my Heart".

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Bread, luckily Alexa finds them for me.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:18 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Hawkwind!!!!!!!!!
Lemmy's first band!!! I like 'Spirit of the Age' and "Quark, Strangeness and Charm". I saw Dave Brock and Alan Davey play a small club in Somerville, MA in 1989.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-30-2023, 11:22 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Lemmy's first band!!! I like 'Spirit of the Age' and "Quark, Strangeness and Charm". I saw Dave Brock and Alan Davey play a small club in Somerville, MA in 1989.
Exactly? Most people have no clue the idea for the name of the group, Motorhead, actually started out as the song, Motorhead, originally released by Hawkwind, with Lemmy writing it and as the lead singer.

I also got to see them once in Cleveland, at a later version of the Agora Theater. But it was also a later version of the group with one of their zillion different lineups, and really none of the original cast and crew by then, aside from Dave Brock, who is the one long-lasting, founding member of the group that is still performing and running Hawkwind to this day I believe (but performing only in England anymore since the pandemic).

Would have loved to have been able to see them perform with Robert Calvert, and with Stacia dancing.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...164B&FORM=VIRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTFeW8FCto

My favorite album was "Warrior on the Edge of Time", with "Hall of the Mountain Gril"l, a close second. My favorite song(s) by them from the "Warrior on the Edge of Time" album was/were "Assault & Battery", which segued as sort of one combined song right into "The Golden Void", the latter being my absolute favorite. From the "Hall of the Moutain Grill" album, I have always loved "Lost Johnny", as probably my second favorite Hawkwind song of all time, behind "The Golden Void", with "Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear in Smoke)" as my second favorite song off their "Hall of the Mountain Grill" album.

Their "The Space Ritual Alive" double album comes in a close third for me, which I believe ended up being their highest charting UK album ever, out of the 64 different albums/compilations they've released, to date. And yes, you read that correctly, 64 total releases so far.

A little trivia. Besides Lemmy, THE legendary Ginger Baker was a one-time member of Hawkwind, and they also collaborated with Eno for a period in the '70s as well. Also, many people know of Stephen Kings' musical interest and his performances with the band, Rock Bottom Remainders. But the King of Horror was nowhere near the first ever well-known author to be a rock performer. Michael Moorcock, a famous and prolific science-fiction/fantasy writer (if you don't believe me, go look him up) also performed with Hawkwind for a time in the '70s and was good friends with members of the group. In fact, in 1976, along with co-author Michael Butterworth, Moorcock released the science fiction/fantasy novel "Time of the Hawklords" based on, around, and including all the then current members of Hawkwind as the main characters of this science-fiction/fantasy book. To my knowledge, it is the first time ANY band was ever made the subject of a true science fiction/fantasy novel, and also not just the first, but also maybe the ONLY band to my knowledge to have ever have that distinction as well. I think I still have my paperback copy buried down somewhere in my storage room.

Meanwhile, for those of you that have still never heard of Hawkwind, and the earlier Stacia and Lemmy video links didn't do it all for you, including the one with Lemmy singer "Silver Machine" (Hawkwind's highest ever charting song in the UK if I remember correctly), here's some other previously mentioned gems you may enjoy and help you get to know them better. They are the founders and creators of what is known as the progressive space rock genre. Not many groups are known and ever truly recognized as the creators of their own musical genre. Unfortunately, YouTube and other online videos do not come close to doing their music justice. To truly appreciate them you need to play their music on original vinyl, with the bass turned up, and the Presence button engaged. (You other old-timers will appreciate and know exactly what I'm talking about!) Enjoy!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?&...2E1&ajaxhist=0

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0ED7803922E7CC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEwmz6YvyI4
Old 01-30-2023, 11:53 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default remember

Traffic
Old 01-30-2023, 11:53 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default remember

the Bus Boys

Last edited by NiceDocter; 01-30-2023 at 11:54 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-31-2023, 12:03 AM
Bob C.

Let me throw one more onto the pile. If you never saw or even got the chance to see "Weird" Al Yankovic perform live, you have no idea what you were/are missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FklUAoZ6KxY
Old 01-31-2023, 08:24 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

[QUOTE=BobC;2309685]

A little trivia. Besides Lemmy, THE legendary Ginger Baker was a one-time member of Hawkwind, and they also collaborated with Eno for a period in the '70s as well. Also, many people know of Stephen Kings' musical interest and his performances with the band, Rock Bottom Remainders. But the King of Horror was nowhere near the first ever well-known author to be a rock performer. Michael Moorcock, a famous and prolific science-fiction/fantasy writer (if you don't believe me, go look him up) also performed with Hawkwind for a time in the '70s and was good friends with members of the group. In fact, in 1976, along with co-author Michael Butterworth, Moorcock released the science fiction/fantasy novel "Time of the Hawklords" based on, around, and including all the then current members of Hawkwind as the main characters of this science-fiction/fantasy book. To my knowledge, it is the first time ANY band was ever made the subject of a true science fiction/fantasy novel, and also not just the first, but also maybe the ONLY band to my knowledge to have ever have that distinction as well. I think I still have my paperback copy buried down somewhere in my storage room.

Arthur Brown (The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - 'Fire) and Lene Lovich (new wave singer - 'New Toy") also played with the band.

To further the trivia: If you watch the video of 'Fire' on youtube from "Top of the Pops" (TOTP) you will see Carl Palmer playing the drums. He did not play on the recording, but joined the band shortly thereafter as an 18 year old.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:53 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post

One of my favorites, that doesn't get nearly enough love is the band, Poco.
Poco immediately brings to mind another band from the same era, Pure Prairie League.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 02-02-2023, 11:08 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I think I would go to one that still is a road trip favorite, The Four Horseman.

The Nobody Said It Was Easy album is a forgotten Rick Rubin produced classic and a great way to get a speeding ticket. I still appreciate the odd sound of Moonshine as it was recorded over the pay phone while the lead singer was serving time in county jail. His tendency for going to jail was the downfall of them on DefJam.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:45 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirbonzig View Post
Boston
ELO
I would disagree with Boston and ELO. You'll almost always here the former on Classic Rock Radio, the latter I feel got a small revival after a couple of songs were featured in Marvel films. But I can see your point with ELO. Jeff Lynne, eternally underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Poco immediately brings to mind another band from the same era, Pure Prairie League.
Every once in a while, Amy pops up on the Radio and I feel a little happier!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:28 PM

I think the Gratefull Dead are becoming forgotten. I don't think I've heard one of their songs on the radio in the last 5 years, and I mainly listen to classic rock stations.