NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for BSelling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: REA auctions guess what sells for the highest
1912 t227 bruce brown psa 2 20 12.42%
1933 goudey #144 babe ruth psa 5.5 110 68.32%
1990 impel marvel universe series 20 box case 11 6.83%
2001 upper deck sp authentic golf 12 box case 20 12.42%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-04-2021, 03:34 PM
MR RAREBACK MR RAREBACK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: california
Posts: 393
Default REA Aution guess what goes for the most

this is going to be tuff

Last edited by MR RAREBACK; 04-04-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2021, 03:38 PM
wazoo's Avatar
wazoo wazoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,679
Default

T206 Cross Tolstoi is going to set a record...not compared to the others...but exciting to watch.
__________________
T206 Collection Completion: 130/524
Hall of Fame T206's: ?/76
Back Run: 30/37 (81% Complete)
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.

Last edited by wazoo; 04-04-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2021, 05:16 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,762
Default

The Ruth is the only one I could even make an educated guess as to the value, and even though I've been keeping an eye on recent sales prices they are still hard to predict.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-04-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2021, 05:36 PM
Jason's Avatar
Jason Jason is offline
Jason Wells
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond,Va
Posts: 2,436
Default

Goudey Ruth, but wouldn't be surprised by any of the four honestly nowadays.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2021, 06:09 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,394
Default

I remember buy a case of the SP Authentic Golf for $300. I guess I should have kept it sealed instead of having fun opening it trying to hit the Tiger.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2021, 09:49 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 728
Default

I'm surprised by the Brown's current price, for a non-major sport card. I've either way underpaid for similar T cards or this price is already awfully high. Gorgeous set, fairly undervalued until a few years ago when it seemed the 4 baseball players really drove broader interest than these issues normally get.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2021, 06:42 AM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I'm surprised by the Brown's current price, for a non-major sport card. I've either way underpaid for similar T cards or this price is already awfully high. Gorgeous set, fairly undervalued until a few years ago when it seemed the 4 baseball players really drove broader interest than these issues normally get.
You do realize there's only maybe a handful of this card in existence right?
__________________
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CCAuctionHouse

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2021, 09:25 AM
rhettyeakley's Avatar
rhettyeakley rhettyeakley is offline
Rhett Yeakley
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
You do realize there's only maybe a handful of this card in existence right?
I’m with him on the Brown card. They are great cards that I have collected for years but they just don’t have the widespread appeal that this price would indicate. Never in a million years would I think a card of a non-baseball (or major 4-sport) from the T227 set bring this kind of money. The multi-sport sets from this era have never been that popular, the baseball players (when present) being the obvious exception. If I am being honest I feel there has been a bit of a PR move on this set on this forum and elsewhere from some that own these cards to pump them up. Not too many people even know that the T227 Brown card is anything special, especially in the Non-Sports card world where a lot of the T218-T227-T229 multi-sport issues are collected and hoarded. There may be more out there than you think when those collections get broken down someday.

The T229 Kopec/Pet sets are some of my favorite and infinitely tougher than the T227’s.
__________________
Check out my YouTube Videos highlighting VINTAGE CARDS https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbE..._as=subscriber

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 04-06-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-06-2021, 10:38 AM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,660
Default

But the baseball players and boxers drive the popularity of the set in general (and it's gorgeous) so if you want to complete a set you NEED Brown. There are more people who want a set than there are Brown cards. Pretty basic economics.

I look at T220 Silver Border and you'd think "well the two key cards in that set are about as rare as the Brown, so they should go for as much" But even though I personally love the T220 Silvers the amount of people trying to complete sets is probably not even a dozen because it's ONLY boxing.

If there was a similar set with ONLY Race Car Drivers, Track Athlete's and Pool Players with one super rare card it would likely sell for even less than the T220 rarities, because those sports rank even lower than boxing in popularity.

The baseball cards drive the overall demand, but then it spreads to the other cards because of set collecting. If the 4 baseball players weren't in the set you'd have never heard of the Brown card.
__________________
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CCAuctionHouse

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 04-06-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-06-2021, 03:17 PM
rhettyeakley's Avatar
rhettyeakley rhettyeakley is offline
Rhett Yeakley
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
But the baseball players and boxers drive the popularity of the set in general (and it's gorgeous) so if you want to complete a set you NEED Brown. There are more people who want a set than there are Brown cards. Pretty basic economics.

I look at T220 Silver Border and you'd think "well the two key cards in that set are about as rare as the Brown, so they should go for as much" But even though I personally love the T220 Silvers the amount of people trying to complete sets is probably not even a dozen because it's ONLY boxing.

If there was a similar set with ONLY Race Car Drivers, Track Athlete's and Pool Players with one super rare card it would likely sell for even less than the T220 rarities, because those sports rank even lower than boxing in popularity.

The baseball cards drive the overall demand, but then it spreads to the other cards because of set collecting. If the 4 baseball players weren't in the set you'd have never heard of the Brown card.
I understand all of that. I collect nearly every multi-sport set there is and also collect non-sports cards.

Show me another set where any of the lesser sports rarity or not have a card that is of the non-major sports that have anything close to this level of interest. It just doesn’t exist, hence the incredulity.

There is no track record of this type of pricing on the Brown card until exactly this moment. I just find it all strange.
__________________
Check out my YouTube Videos highlighting VINTAGE CARDS https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbE..._as=subscriber

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 04-06-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-06-2021, 05:10 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post

Show me another set where any of the lesser sports rarity or not have a card that is of the non-major sports that have anything close to this level of interest. It just doesn’t exist, hence the incredulity.

There is no track record of this type of pricing on the Brown card until exactly this moment. I just find it all strange.
Show me another multi-sport set with 4 baseball HOF'ers and a SERIOUS rarity in one of the non-baseball cards. This is a unicorn, plain and simple.

You haven't seen this kind of pricing on the Brown card before. I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale.
__________________
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CCAuctionHouse

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-06-2021, 05:56 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is offline
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,142
Default

I'm curious what the 1893 "Just So" goes for, that's a pretty special card.
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
Original circulation E98 Master set 110/120, Lord help me...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-06-2021, 06:56 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
You do realize there's only maybe a handful of this card in existence right?
Yes, I do realize that. There are many, many cards this rare worth far, far less than $23,000. $23,000 is one of the highest prices a rare low-grade non-major sport card has ever sold for. This is high price, I'm surprised it's this high so early. If you don't like that, oh well.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-06-2021, 07:06 PM
rhettyeakley's Avatar
rhettyeakley rhettyeakley is offline
Rhett Yeakley
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Show me another multi-sport set with 4 baseball HOF'ers and a SERIOUS rarity in one of the non-baseball cards. This is a unicorn, plain and simple.

You haven't seen this kind of pricing on the Brown card before. I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale.
I understand your stance on this card but until VERY recently this card was literally on nobody’s radar. It isn’t a widely known rarity nor does it have ANY historical mystique in the hobby to it. I understand that there appears to be a shift to it having this attention now but until maybe 6 months to a year ago nobody had this card on their radar with a price tag anywhere near this level attached to it.

It seems fishy to me that within 1 day of the REA being up I knew of no other card being in the auction other than the T227 Brown and I saw that mentioned at least 5 times by people on this forum, and that was BEFORE the price shot up to where it is at. Just seems really odd.
__________________
Check out my YouTube Videos highlighting VINTAGE CARDS https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbE..._as=subscriber

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 04-06-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-07-2021, 08:50 AM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,154
Default

literally “nobody” had this card on their radar? talk about unbelievable hype.
__________________
R0nnie L3hman
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-07-2021, 10:17 AM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,660
Default

I disagree that this card was unknown. I had 22 different Miner's Extra Backs in my first Pre War auction and I was asked a number of times before the auction even opened if I had the Brown. Then after the auction was running I got additional messages asking if I was sure there wasn't a Brown hiding somewhere (the near set was part of a "find" in Central PA) That's the only reason I chimed in, because I have first hand experience with at least a handful of guys who have been chasing this card for years.
__________________
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CCAuctionHouse

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-07-2021, 12:10 PM
puckpaul puckpaul is offline
P.aul Orl,in
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
But the baseball players and boxers drive the popularity of the set in general (and it's gorgeous) so if you want to complete a set you NEED Brown. There are more people who want a set than there are Brown cards. Pretty basic economics.

I look at T220 Silver Border and you'd think "well the two key cards in that set are about as rare as the Brown, so they should go for as much" But even though I personally love the T220 Silvers the amount of people trying to complete sets is probably not even a dozen because it's ONLY boxing.

If there was a similar set with ONLY Race Car Drivers, Track Athlete's and Pool Players with one super rare card it would likely sell for even less than the T220 rarities, because those sports rank even lower than boxing in popularity.

The baseball cards drive the overall demand, but then it spreads to the other cards because of set collecting. If the 4 baseball players weren't in the set you'd have never heard of the Brown card.
exactly. well said.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-07-2021, 12:16 PM
puckpaul puckpaul is offline
P.aul Orl,in
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Default

I have most of the set (bought Halper's partial set in Sotheby's and set about finishing it because the cards are great looking and I like to finish sets) and have been looking for the Brown. I have posted here numerous times looking for the card, as have others. I have prodded one owner of the card I could find on Heritage with offers that were ignored.

now, that said, what price? always hard to say when there is one card, first auction in 11 years, and several interested buyers? maybe let it play out and see if it brings out a few others once they see the price?

why would people be hyping it? if there are that many that people want to hype it, then several more should be coming for auction soon, right?

aside from all that, there is money everywhere doing crazy things....this isn't all that strange when someone just paid $2.25mm for a Tom Brady card.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-07-2021, 10:10 PM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is offline
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
But the baseball players and boxers drive the popularity of the set in general (and it's gorgeous) so if you want to complete a set you NEED Brown. There are more people who want a set than there are Brown cards. Pretty basic economics.

I look at T220 Silver Border and you'd think "well the two key cards in that set are about as rare as the Brown, so they should go for as much" But even though I personally love the T220 Silvers the amount of people trying to complete sets is probably not even a dozen because it's ONLY boxing.

If there was a similar set with ONLY Race Car Drivers, Track Athlete's and Pool Players with one super rare card it would likely sell for even less than the T220 rarities, because those sports rank even lower than boxing in popularity.

The baseball cards drive the overall demand, but then it spreads to the other cards because of set collecting. If the 4 baseball players weren't in the set you'd have never heard of the Brown card.
This post is completely spot on. I am a racing card collector, and the Fred Lorenzen with car card from the 1972 STP set has always been a white whale among racing cards. That card has taken some collectors of the '72 STP racing set 20 years to find (PSA has currently graded two copies of the card).

It has been several years since I have seen a Lorenzen with car card sell, but it was a $1,200-$1,500 card as of a few years ago. In today's market, the card would probably go for several thousand, but I very much doubt it would sell for $25,000+ because it is "just a racing set." The baseball players in T227 are driving the price of the Bruce Brown card.
__________________
Flawless BST transactions with arcadekrazy, Moonlight Graham, Arazi4442, wrestlingcardking and Justus.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-08-2021, 05:33 AM
sportscardpete's Avatar
sportscardpete sportscardpete is offline
Pete
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I disagree that this card was unknown. I had 22 different Miner's Extra Backs in my first Pre War auction and I was asked a number of times before the auction even opened if I had the Brown. Then after the auction was running I got additional messages asking if I was sure there wasn't a Brown hiding somewhere (the near set was part of a "find" in Central PA) That's the only reason I chimed in, because I have first hand experience with at least a handful of guys who have been chasing this card for years.
Really good intel.. thanks for sharing!

I've learned to never put an estimate on cards that come up once every decade.
__________________
www.thecreasedcorner.com

Looking for a Dietsche Cobb fielding
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-08-2021, 06:13 AM
insidethewrapper's Avatar
insidethewrapper insidethewrapper is offline
Mike
member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,073
Default

The Old Judge Deacon White Card.
__________________
Wanted : Detroit Baseball Cards and Memorabilia ( from 19th Century Detroit Wolverines to Detroit Tigers Ty Cobb to Al Kaline).
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-08-2021, 07:24 AM
Pat R's Avatar
Pat R Pat R is offline
P@trick R.omolo
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,729
Default

I don't think the "hyping" of the Brown card will have anything to do with
the final price. Most collectors have experienced or know it only takes two
people that really want an item or in Heritage and other AH's that allow
the consigners to bid on their items one person.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-08-2021, 07:37 AM
BRoberts BRoberts is offline
Bill Roberts
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I don't think the "hyping" of the Brown card will have anything to do with
the final price. Most collectors have experienced or know it only takes two
people that really want an item or in Heritage and other AH's that allow
the consigners to bid on their items one person.
Exactly this. The implication that posts on Net54 and other message boards drove the price of a card that "was on no one's radar" to $23,000-plus in a few days is ridiculous and smells of sour grapes. Add the fact that the card is in REA, whose auctions are among the most anticipated in the hobby, and it's extremely believable that a card that's the white whale for a number of collectors could take off like a rocket. Especially when few can remember the last time one came up for public sale.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aution House Rules roce4e52 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 08-17-2014 05:19 PM
Guess who? Exhibitman Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 6 05-22-2013 06:47 AM
could be one of the biggest aution "ripoffs" in history sflayank Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 46 08-03-2010 01:04 PM
Well...I guess she's going to let it run as is...... Archive Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 8 09-13-2007 07:49 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 AM.


ebay GSB