NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2020, 07:05 AM
Steve Kennedy

Default From Collector to Custodian Please Read and Reflect

Memories carefully stored in the top bureau drawer or carefully wrapped and stored in a box in the attic are reflections of civic activity or event that is especially meaningful to the owner. Occasionally glance that recalls those memories that are so personal that are not shared or understood by others. Many of these artifacts are discarded with time. Reflecting on days gone by is good for the soul. For decades and a mysterious box in the attic or the corner of the bureau drawer and time passes and the owner grows older the need for these memories diminishes. Comments like downsizing or moving or isnit time to get rid of the clutter sends chills down the spine of the savior the ultimate interruption is that that of the owner of these meaningless pieces of paper dies. The ephemeral is discarded, sold in the yard sale or on eBay and their history and meaning is lost.

For more than 40 years I tried pieced together those fragments left to the bureau drawer or the attic and intented to reconnect those pieces with the history of baseball and specifically the Centennial of Baseball. I have collected artifacts from all over this country I have tried to pice together their significance and what happened that single afternoon. Reconnecting that history and the celebration of baseball's first hundred years has given me great satisfaction piecing together the history that was discarded.

My first attraction to the Centennial of Baseball Celebration was the colorful insignia used by the Centennial Commission and the hundredth birthday of baseball in the beginning I didn't realize how important this event was in 1939 nor did I realize the national interest and the spirit of baseball that was enjoyed by millions across this country from sand lots to professional ballpark people enthusiastically supported this hundred anniversary. I have collected stories over the years as to why these artifacts were save. For the story is what makes this event so interesting but the most significant contribution was made by the Village of Cooperstown New York.

Visit my web site for more information under collection www.1939baseball.com