NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-29-2021, 03:16 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default Found - 1989 Upper Deck Murphy Reverse Negative

Thought I would share a funny story...

In 1989 I was 18 years old and working at a grocery store. Like everyone else in that era, I was caught up in the junk wax craze and living in Seattle we had Griffey fever. I had one advantage, myself and a buddy had access to all the cards coming into our store. We bought everything we could get our hands on...good times.

We bought and opened several cases of packs chasing Griffey, and even had a case of Upper Deck factory sets come in. We bought that case and flipped most of the sets, kept a few for ourselves. I remember at the time the chase of the reversed Dale Murphy card, but like most big time errors of the time (and most assuredly a purposeful error on UD's part), but never thought I'd actually get one. And I never did, and I opened A LOT of Upper Deck that year.

Fast forward a bunch of years, like to 3 years ago...and my son wanted a Griffey Jr rookie. I told him I had 1 factory set I never did get rid of from back in the day (kept 1 so I had the set)...let's pop it and hope for a nice "10" Griffey. Well...we did...and pulled a nice OC card...then had to explain that nope, never a 10. Ok, well he had his card...kept it raw...all good. Set went back into "storage" in it's box.

Fast forward again...I decided to add the 89 and 90 UD sets to my binder run...got the binders, sheets, and set out to fill em in. Low and behold, I get to the Murphy...I have the reversed negative?? I've been sitting on it since 1989! If I remember right this card was suppose to only be in packs? I do know the sets we bought were among the first, we were popular guys back then...but I know I would have been told there was a Murphy in the other sets we sold...unless they are all still unopened in closets? A quick ebay search to find they are still worth a couple of bucks much to my surprise. I dug through one of my old junk boxes to find a "regular" card for the binder and noticed they look really cool together and brought back some nice memories. So...thought I would share -

A friend of mine who is a Murphy freaked asked for the card, he never had one back in the day and still keeps his 77 Topps RC close. I obliged, gave it to him, then went on Ebay and bought one for a little over $50...so the long and short of it I ruined my big wind fall...but all I kept thinking about was this card was worth a bit more in the height of the craze. I can't remember what it topped out at, but the card currently in my set has been on quite an adventure I'm sure...

Good memories...and luck hit me...32 years later!!!!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 06-29-2021, 04:28 PM
Robert

Way to go John!!! That is AWESOME!!
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 06-29-2021, 04:47 PM

great find! that's one of my favorite error cards. sadly it is at PSA getting graded and may not come back for 6 years
Old 06-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Al Richter

First Blue Dots and now back to back Murphys, you are on a roll John
The 89 Upper Deck set has some neat variations. Still looking for one of the CLs with missing holograms

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0ge...3YQQ_439gUTDs-

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-30-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:46 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Nice story, congratulations on the pull - after 32 years.

I certainly remember that card but never did add one to the collection. Those were fun times, buying and selling 1989 Upper Deck. We had never seen a baseball card of that caliber - photography, holograms, writeups, generally good centering, etc. My dad and I stood in line at Price Club (now Costco for you young 'uns) and bought a low number case. He sold several boxes in 1993 and gave me the money to help with a down payment on my house.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 07-05-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:01 AM
Jason Wells

Good share John. I will be checking my already open set for kicks later.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:21 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
A friend of mine who is a Murphy freaked asked for the card, he never had one back in the day and still keeps his 77 Topps RC close. I obliged, gave it to him, then went on Ebay and bought one for a little over $50
If that's how things panned out, did you consider just buying a Murphy for your friend and keeping the one you've had all these years?
Old 07-14-2021, 07:25 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
If that's how things panned out, did you consider just buying a Murphy for your friend and keeping the one you've had all these years?
I poorly worded that...I bought the new Murphy after regretting giving away the original... I guess now we are both happy...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03