NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM

Default Scouting Cards

I recently came across these and wanted know if anyone knew about these. Any explanantion of what is being filled out would be appreciated (abbreviation, terminology, etc. ) Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Jason

Default Cool !

looks like cards the SD Padres kept on opposing players.
First one is Jody Davis of the Cubs
Describes how to defend against him as a hitter, for instance all the infield positions were to play him straight away (normal spots), while the CFer should hint a couple steps towards left...the dots are the scatter plot of his hits YTD, most likely...don't expect him to bunt, etc...

at least that's my guess!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
looks like cards the SD Padres kept on opposing players.
First one is Jody Davis of the Cubs
Describes how to defend against him as a hitter, for instance all the infield positions were to play him straight away (normal spots), while the CFer should hint a couple steps towards left...the dots are the scatter plot of his hits YTD, most likely...don't expect him to bunt, etc...

at least that's my guess!
thanks. what is the right fielder doing if it says "bunch"?

Last edited by joelsabi; 08-25-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
thanks. what is the right fielder doing if it says "bunch"?
It means play closer to the right-field line, indicating they think the batter is more of a pull hitter than a guy who hits to the gap, or alley, between center field and right field.

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-25-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
It means play closer to the right-field line, indicating they think the batter is more of a pull hitter than a guy who hits to the gap, or alley, between center field and right field.
Thank.

What does OPP stand for? I think H & R man is hit and run man so does OPP mean opportunity?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Wow...I've kept stats and scorebooks for a long time and never heard or needed OPP. Here's what I found:
Opp: Opportunities--At bats that put the ball in play but did not result in a hit.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank.

What does OPP stand for? I think H & R man is hit and run man so does OPP mean opportunity?
I don't think so. I'm making an educated guess on this one, but I think it refers to how likely a batter is to take a pitch the other way -- to hit to the opposite field. Usually your best hit-and-run guys are ones who will hit a groundball to the opposite site of the infield (because the shortstop will cover second base on a steal when a left-hander is hitting and the second baseman will cover when a right-hander is hitting, so you want to go the other way to try and hit a grounder through the hole that's created in the defense). So because they've noted that Jody Davis was a hit-and-man, they're saying he will take a pitch the other way.

Again, my educated guess.

Edited to add: For what it's worth, after posting this I texted a friend of mine who manages in the Giants organization. He agreed that it probably means what I thought but wasn't 100 percent sure. You never know, OPP could stand for something that was specific to that team.

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-25-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. I'm making an educated guess on this one, but I think it refers to how likely a batter is to take a pitch the other way -- to hit to the opposite field. Usually your best hit-and-run guys are ones who will hit a groundball to the opposite site of the infield (because the shortstop will cover second base on a steal when a left-hander is hitting and the second baseman will cover when a right-hander is hitting, so you want to go the other way to try and hit a grounder through the hole that's created in the defense). So because they've noted that Jody Davis was a hit-and-man, they're saying he will take a pitch the other way.

Again, my educated guess.

Edited to add: For what it's worth, after posting this I texted a friend of mine who manages in the Giants organization. He agreed that it probably means what I thought but wasn't 100 percent sure. You never know, OPP could stand for something that was specific to that team.
Mike and Rob,

Both of your ideas seem logical. Any other opinions on meaning of OPP?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 PM

So how would you interpret Steal = NO Delayed Steal?

That Jody Davis does not steal but the coach may call a delayed steal when he is at first.

Last edited by joelsabi; 08-25-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

That Jody Davis does not steal but the coach may call a delayed steal when he is at first.
Typically the slower runners on a team are the most likely candidates to try a delayed steal. Davis, a catcher, would be such a candidate. That's why they noted he won't try a delayed steal (because otherwise you might assume he'd be a candidate). You'd probably never see a notation of "No delayed steal" on a card for a Rickey Henderson or Vince Coleman, because those guys weren't candidates to try a delayed steal.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

You know, that line could be read either way. Your explanation could be the right one. It all depends on how the Padres filled out these cards.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Typically the slower runners on a team are the most likely candidates to try a delayed steal. Davis, a catcher, would be such a candidate. That's why they noted he won't try a delayed steal (because otherwise you might assume he'd be a candidate). You'd probably never see a notation of "No delayed steal" on a card for a Rickey Henderson or Vince Coleman, because those guys weren't candidates to try a delayed steal.
So Davis is the slower of the slowest catchers. Got it.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
So Davis is the slower of the slowest catchers. Got it.
Actually, executing a delayed steal really requires a keen sense of timing, as opposed to speed (a catcher who's not paying attention also is required). Some guys can do it well, and others can't do it at all. Most don't feel comfortable at all trying it.

If you do it correctly, you can be the slowest guy in the world and pull it off.

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-25-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 PM

Here are two more examples. Maybe someone know the tendencies of Mike Scioscia and Matt Williams so we can determine what the Scout meant for Steal situations.

Thanks in advance. I find these cards interesting.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:08 PM

Opps the Matt Williams is a duplicate. Here is Eric Davis for compare and contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ERic.jpg (19.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

On Scioscia, the book on him is he will delay steal.

The Opp. on Scioscia ... I do not have an answer.

On Davis, the book on him is he will steal, especially on the first pitch of the count (or the first pitch after arriving at first base). The advice is for the pitcher to wait a little extra longer (hold ball) while he's in the stretch before delivering the pitch. This is done because a lot of pitchers fall into a groove in which they come to the stretch, wait a second and deliver the pitch. Good base stealers can get a heck of a jump by timing this. So holding the ball takes that away from the runner.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM

So are these Reports held by the Base Coach or the Manager during a game?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Not necessarily. They're cards that advance scouts (scouts who watch an opponent one or two weeks before it's scheduled to play his team) fill out and give to the manager and coaching staff. The manager and coaches might go over the info with their players before a series. It's possible that a manager might keep them within arm's reach during a game, but it's not like he's constantly looking at them.

And honestly, players and coaches in the majors know each other really well, so these cards are more a formality than a reference work. When they do come in handy is when younger players are just breaking into the league and opposing managers might not know a lot about them.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. They're cards that advance scouts (scouts who watch an opponent one or two weeks before it's scheduled to play his team) fill out and give to the manager and coaching staff. The manager and coaches might go over the info with their players before a series. It's possible that a manager might keep them within arm's reach during a game, but it's not like he's constantly looking at them.

And honestly, players and coaches in the majors know each other really well, so these cards are more a formality than a reference work. When they do come in handy is when younger players are just breaking into the league and opposing managers might not know a lot about them.
That makes sense. I have never seen these before so these are just really interesting. Thanks for your analysis.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

They are pretty cool. I remember about 15-20 years ago a collector acquired a couple hundred of current players and made it a project to get as many as possible autographed. I thought that was a pretty clever idea.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Jason

Default Davis and Davis...

Jody was indeed one of the slowest MLB I ever watched, and I watched nearly every game he played for several years, growing up a Cubs fan...though my memory is colored by having seen his speed decrease over the years, too. By the end, I don't think he could have stolen second during the entire time it took Harry Caray to recite Take me out to the Ballgame!

Regarding Eric Davis, does that actually say to run on his arm??!!! The way I remember him is that he had an absolute cannon! huh?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Jim VB

Quote:

Thank God you guys figured it out before I got here. That's NOT what Naughty By Nature says OPP stands for!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.P.P._(song)