NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Curt

Default 1965 Topps Dodgers Rookie Quad

I am curious if anyone has a copy in their possession or has even seen a version of this card, signed by the prospect D. Daboll, who never played in the majors? Kekick, Valle and Lefebvre are the others on the card and I have seen copies signed by the others, sometimes multiples. I would love to just see a legit copy of this card signed by Daboll.

I became interested in this after starting a project to get every possible Dodger player who was on the roster, but also any card subjects as well. Sometimes guys get Dodger cards, but never actually play. Such was the case for Dennis Daboll.

I realized at some point that I had never seen a signed copy. I would search periodically, as it was one of the few cards that I had never seen signed and since I was collecting signed Dodger cards, many cards came up over and over, but never this one. Then I wondered why. I couldn't really find much on him until I dug down one August night in 2012 and found some old archived microfilm newspapers detailing his disappearance and subsequent death. It was believed that he had gotten lost or disoriented during a sudden snowstorm, while hiking in the Grand Canyon. They found him a couple weeks after he was reported missing, at the bottom of a cliff. He had died young and tragically, not long after his baseball career ended. I ended up writing a blog entry about it and a friend of his sister reached out to me. We corresponded over the years periodically and I asked if there might be a signature of his somewhere that they would be willing to sell or donate to my collection. Eventually, I was sent a couple letters that he sent home to family when he was in the Army. As cool as those are, there was no full signature. He did sign them Dennis, as you would if you were writing a family member.

Here is the blog entry, should you care to check it out.

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/ed...23726138484105

I later found an old minor league baseball that had his signature on it and bought it, but to this day I have never seen a signed copy of this 1965 Topps card. It really makes me wonder if any actually exist. He was out of baseball by 1971 at age 24 and would die very early in 1974. Did anyone present him a copy of the card to sign while he was floating around in the minors. It seems autograph collecting was less popular then. You had to think at least one was signed, but who knows.

Even though he never played MLB baseball, I suspect if one ever came to be for sale, it would bring in crazy money. Set collectors, team collectors or just rare signature collectors would probably make this card incredibly popular. If you collect this set signed and have this one tucked away, please share an image. I would love to come full circle and actually have an image of the card I will likely never actually own signed.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:35 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Wow, not even a cup of coffee. Still, got his picture on a bubblegum card wearing a Dodgers uni.

I've got no answer for you, but I did post the question over on Sportscollectors.net, where it's all about autographs and mostly through the mail.

Tom
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 08-05-2020, 10:46 PM

On SCN someone posted a complete signed one
Old 08-05-2020, 11:09 PM
Curt

I am not a member there, but tried searching and nothing came up. Can you link me to the image or share it here by chance?
Old 08-05-2020, 11:12 PM

https://net54baseball.com/picture.ph...ictureid=28625
Old 08-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Curt

Thanks, but too small to see any detail.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:49 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Blew it up, maybe this helps. The owner says:

"He pitched for the Modesto Reds in 1969-70-71.
I would say I got him in 1970.
Wasn't sure that it was him, had to ask.
The only reference material available back then was "The Sporting News".

not for sale
"

1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 08-07-2020, 10:21 PM
Curt

Awesome, thank you. I have a team ball he signed, think it might also be a Modesto ball. I am guessing there can't be many of those 65s signed by Daboll and maybe none more with all 4 signatures.