NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-12-2023, 04:30 PM

Thanks Irv.

According to many sources #162 Del Crandall is supposed to have an "orange" variation and a red variation. eBay scans are notoriously difficult to pin colors down exactly and some cards off of eBay appear to have varying degrees of red/orange.

Can anyone post a Del Crandall "orange" variation they own alongside a normal red variation?
Old 04-23-2023, 03:27 PM

#295 Cavarretta, red splotch. Thanks Al-R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #295 Cavaretta.jpg (79.4 KB, 218 views)
Old 04-24-2023, 05:24 PM
D@le Irv*n

There is currently a "near" master set up for auction at Heritage and they claim, in order to finish it, one needs the Red back Page/Sain bio and the Red back Sain/Page bio cards.
Is this just a typo/error where they meant to type black back instead of red back? If not, this is the 1st time I've ever heard of these wrong bio cards being printed on red back cards.
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...umbnail-071515
Old 04-28-2023, 05:32 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
There is currently a "near" master set up for auction at Heritage and they claim, in order to finish it, one needs the Red back Page/Sain bio and the Red back Sain/Page bio cards.
Is this just a typo/error where they meant to type black back instead of red back? If not, this is the 1st time I've ever heard of these wrong bio cards being printed on red back cards.
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...umbnail-071515
Wow, I just received the Heritage catalog and was looking through it and saw the same thing which led me to the same question as you. I checked my set and I don't have the red back versions of the wrong bios. The Heritage listing for the set definitely indicates that the Sain BB (Page Bio) and Page BB (Sain Bio) are included so doesn't seem like a typo.

The red back variations with the wrong bios aren't listed on the PSA Master Set checklist. However, on the population report for the 1952 Topps set, there are 2 separate entries for Page with Sain Bio and Page with Sain Bio Black Back (and likewise for Sain with Page Bio and Sain with Page Bio Blacj Back) so that seems to indicate they do exist unless there were cards graded before they started labeling them for different back colors.

If anyone has an example of the Sain or Page red backs with the wrong bios, please post pics of them.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:41 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Impossible if the black back had an error, then was corrected...since reds were printed after blacks

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-28-2023, 07:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Wow, I just received the Heritage catalog and was looking through it and saw the same thing which led me to the same question as you. I checked my set and I don't have the red back versions of the wrong bios. The Heritage listing for the set definitely indicates that the Sain BB (Page Bio) and Page BB (Sain Bio) are included so doesn't seem like a typo.

The red back variations with the wrong bios aren't listed on the PSA Master Set checklist. However, on the population report for the 1952 Topps set, there are 2 separate entries for Page with Sain Bio and Page with Sain Bio Black Back (and likewise for Sain with Page Bio and Sain with Page Bio Blacj Back) so that seems to indicate they do exist unless there were cards graded before they started labeling them for different back colors.

If anyone has an example of the Sain or Page red backs with the wrong bios, please post pics of them.
Ted is correct, Jay, and if anyone, (besides a few others like Zach, Toppcat, etc) would know, it would be Ted.
Like I mentioned in my above post, I was pretty sure this was a typo as it was the first time I had ever heard of any red backs containing the wrong bios. But, with that being said and with seeing numerous red backed graded/slabbed Page and Sain's with "correct bio" written on the front, it made me wonder. (There is no need to write that on the front of red backed Page and Sain graded cards)

Also, like in this article, (it has been written many times) the backs were corrected when Sy decided to go from black to red backs.

"Two of the more valuable cards from Series 1 are the Joe Page and Johnny Sain errors. Some of Page’s cards (#48) were printed with Sain’s information on the back, while the same fate impacted a small percentage of Sain’s cards (#49), with Page’s information appearing on the reverse. It’s important to note that these error cards can only be found with black backs since they were corrected in time for the red back print run. For Master set builders, these two errors rank near the top of the set in terms of elusiveness".
This is a great read. Try not to look at the cards, however, as they will likely make you cry like they did me.
https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...ic-postwar-age

Last edited by irv; 04-28-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:18 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Ted is correct, Jay, and if anyone, (besides a few others like Zach, Toppcat, etc) would know, it would be Ted.
Like I mentioned in my above post, I was pretty sure this was a typo as it was the first time I had ever heard of any red backs containing the wrong bios. But, with that being said and with seeing numerous red backed graded/slabbed Page and Sain's with "correct bio" written on the front, it made me wonder. (There is no need to write that on the front of red backed Page and Sain graded cards)

Also, like in this article, (it has been written many times) the backs were corrected when Sy decided to go from black to red backs.

"Two of the more valuable cards from Series 1 are the Joe Page and Johnny Sain errors. Some of Page’s cards (#48) were printed with Sain’s information on the back, while the same fate impacted a small percentage of Sain’s cards (#49), with Page’s information appearing on the reverse. It’s important to note that these error cards can only be found with black backs since they were corrected in time for the red back print run. For Master set builders, these two errors rank near the top of the set in terms of elusiveness".
This is a great read. Try not to look at the cards, however, as they will likely make you cry like they did me.
https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...ic-postwar-age
I guess I would say the Heritage listing contains a mistake not a typo then. It says there are 490 cards and needs those 2 to complete the master set, but the checklist for the master set has 491 cards listed. From looking at what is listed, I think the only card missing to really complete the master set is the Frank House yellow tiger variation since there is no mention of that card in the Heritage listing. It's surprising that they would make a mistake like that with this set.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:29 AM

I have only seen it in black back. This set will drive you nuts. Take for example this #43 Scarborough background variation.

Collecting all the variations - even the recognized major variations - will drive one nuts. Which is one reason I started this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #43 Scarborough005.jpg (182.0 KB, 194 views)
Old 04-29-2023, 11:50 AM
Al Richter

You could sort of tell this thread was started by someone driven nuts
Old 04-29-2023, 02:14 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

If Lord Baltimore Press in 1952 operated like the textile plant I worked in during the summer of 1979, then the color mixing was done by hand using a "recipe" for each. Color variations could easily result then and I suspect in 1952.

Last edited by toppcat; 04-29-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:59 PM
Al Richter

Green spot in eyebrow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Document_2023-06-05_132126.jpg (86.3 KB, 182 views)
Old 06-05-2023, 02:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Green spot in eyebrow
Did you just grab that one up, Al?
Old 07-31-2023, 07:31 AM

Default #77 Kennedy No Bottom Border

How could this have gone undiscovered for so long? #77 Bob Kennedy - partial Bottom Border variation. Have only seen this in red back.

I have only seen a few of these, so I suspect they are rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #77 Kennedy No Bottom Border.JPG (136.3 KB, 153 views)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:35 AM

In addition, as a follow up to the gray back discussion, I don't think the production of mi-series gray backs is uniform.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:35 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
How could this have gone undiscovered for so long? #77 Bob Kennedy - partial Bottom Border variation. Have only seen this in red back.

I have only seen a few of these, so I suspect they are rare.
That's a great discovery, Zach. I believe when I received my 52 Topps cards from my father, Bob was one of them so I never looked for any of his cards while trying to collect the others, but wish I had of now.
Like we've mentioned, new variations/anomalies pop up all the time with this set it seems, which, of course, at least to me, makes it all that much more fun to collect.
This one, Tommy Glaviano, with the white logo front/black back arrived today. Real happy with it as I believe GM under graded it? Tougher card to find centered, especially in a black back, so I'm glad I was able to win it.
(Red back shown also just to show the different logo colors)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tommy Glaviano 1952 Topps black back variation.jpg (76.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Tommy Glaviano.jpg (66.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 11-22-2023, 05:01 PM

I was researching some of the old posts in other forums regarding 1952 Topps variations. I was shocked to run across an article (thanks Patrick - link above) listing 22 "Red Stripe" variations that I had never seen or run across.

Pics posted below - all of this research and pics are credited to SMPEP, who was a regular poster, but has not posted on N54 in a while. Thanks Patrick.

I was also surprised to see a post from one of the employees that worked for a contract printer for Topps. They were reminiscing about their dad's experience printing cards for Topps and how their firm printed the "gray backs". I always suspected gray backs were a result of 2 firms that printed cards for Topps and one used different print stock.

Pics for most of the Red Strip cards are below with 2 cards (#216 Ashburn & #195 Minoso) suspected to exist but never seen.

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 11-22-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM

Additional pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Robertson Red Stripe #245.JPG (32.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Bauer Red Stripe #215.JPG (34.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps King Red Stripe #205.JPG (32.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Dropo Red Stripe #235.JPG (29.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Baumholtz Red Stripe #225.JPG (27.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 11-22-2023, 05:05 PM

And more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Fitzgerald Red Stripe #236.JPG (42.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Hemus Red Stripe #196.JPG (41.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Ostrowski Red Stripe #206.JPG (39.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Kell Red Stripe #246.JPG (39.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Philley Red Stripe #226.JPG (39.1 KB, 115 views)
Old 11-22-2023, 06:22 PM
Al Richter

Fascinating. I only have a couple of these and had no idea they were related or that there were so many. Great work by Patrick. I remember his posts in some of the past 52 Topps threads. But I given up on pursuing a 52 “master” set. Too old for more 😊
Old 11-23-2023, 12:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My Campy too:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-23-2023, 01:21 PM
Al Richter

Good one. Not rare but expensive anyway 😊
Old 11-25-2023, 08:15 AM

Adam,

Nice Campy! Jealous....
Old 11-25-2023, 11:03 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
I was also surprised to see a post from one of the employees that worked for a contract printer for Topps. They were reminiscing about their dad's experience printing cards for Topps and how their firm printed the "gray backs". I always suspected gray backs were a result of 2 firms that printed cards for Topps and one used different print stock.
Can you link to this post? I'm not sure I've seen it before. TY.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Can you link to this post? I'm not sure I've seen it before. TY.
Toppcat,

It was a comment in your Topps Archive thread regarding Zabel of Contents, dated August 14, 2010 (link is below) in Bill K's response. I found the posts by Zabel employees particularly informative.

Link to Toppcat's Topps Archive blog is below, a snip of the first few posts is added below as well.

https://www.thetoppsarchives.com/201...-contents.html

Great job researching and writing those Topps Archive posts. I have had a lot of fun reading them, particularly the posts regarding 1952 Topps.

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 11-26-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:51 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zabel of Contents.jpg (120.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps #235 Drop Print Mark016.jpg (187.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 12-19-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:51 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Toppcat,

It was a comment in your Topps Archive thread regarding Zabel of Contents, dated August 14, 2010 (link is below) in Bill K's response. I found the posts by Zabel employees particularly informative.

Link to Toppcat's Topps Archive blog is below, a snip of the first few posts is added below as well.

https://www.thetoppsarchives.com/201...-contents.html

Great job researching and writing those Topps Archive posts. I have had a lot of fun reading them, particularly the posts regarding 1952 Topps.
AH, OK I though there was a separate one posted here that I missed. TY. Appreciate the compliment as well!

Last edited by toppcat; 11-27-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:26 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I was researching some of the old posts in other forums regarding 1952 Topps variations. I was shocked to run across an article (thanks Patrick - link above) listing 22 "Red Stripe" variations that I had never seen or run across.

Pics posted below - all of this research and pics are credited to SMPEP, who was a regular poster, but has not posted on N54 in a while. Thanks Patrick.

Pics for most of the Red Strip cards are below with 2 cards (#216 Ashburn & #195 Minoso) suspected to exist but never seen.
I don't ever recall seeing or hearing about these cards before?
It's the set that just keeps on giving!