NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2023, 06:17 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,440
Default February pick up thread

Extremely happy, beyond believe actually, to have been able to pick up this 52 Topps Roy Campanella card thanks to Harliduck (John Otto)

In the January pick up thread John wrote this and I'm glad to say I'm the extremely lucky individual that he sold it to.

"Curt...a local card shop, owner is a friend of mine who saves any vintage buys for me before putting them for sale. He is slowly getting a trickle of 52's in from an older gentleman who opened them in packs as a kid on the east coast, so new to the hobby cards from the original owner. I made a deal with a net54 member and sold it to him for exactly what I paid and now it's at SGC to be graded. It's no longer my card and probably one of those deals where I'll probably regret that later...haha...but super happy to help a fellow collector on an iconic card. Only one I've ever seen or held. I stopped by the shop today and a couple more high numbers came in, I just listed them on the B/S/T for pretty much what I paid. I've given up on 52's considering the Mantle is probably out of my reach, so trying to help others..."
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329847

Just an unbelievable gesture, imo, and it speaks volumes to not only what a great and thoughtful person John is, but it also speaks volumes about the kinds of people that one can encounter here on Net54.

Again, John, I can't thank you enough for doing this for me.
Helping a fellow collector complete his set like this is something I never would have dreamt of let alone it actually happening.

Thanks again so much!

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy Campanella 1952 Topps high number (2).jpg (109.8 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpg Roy Campanella 52 Topps high number back.jpg (76.9 KB, 573 views)

Last edited by irv; 02-02-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2023, 06:45 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is online now
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 8,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Extremely happy, beyond believe actually, to have been able to pick up this 52 Topps Roy Campanella card thanks to Harliduck (John Otto)

In the January pick up thread John wrote this and I'm glad to say I'm the extremely lucky individual that he sold it to.

"Curt...a local card shop, owner is a friend of mine who saves any vintage buys for me before putting them for sale. He is slowly getting a trickle of 52's in from an older gentleman who opened them in packs as a kid on the east coast, so new to the hobby cards from the original owner. I made a deal with a net54 member and sold it to him for exactly what I paid and now it's at SGC to be graded. It's no longer my card and probably one of those deals where I'll probably regret that later...haha...but super happy to help a fellow collector on an iconic card. Only one I've ever seen or held. I stopped by the shop today and a couple more high numbers came in, I just listed them on the B/S/T for pretty much what I paid. I've given up on 52's considering the Mantle is probably out of my reach, so trying to help others..."
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329847

Just an unbelievable gesture, imo, and it speaks volumes to not only what a great and thoughtful person John is, but it also speaks volumes about the kinds of people that one can encounter here on Net54.

Again, John, I can't thank you enough for doing this for me.
Helping a fellow collector complete his set like this is something I never would have dreamt of let alone it actually happening.

Thanks again so much!

Dale
That is awesome, congrats on the pick up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2023, 08:48 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is offline
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,676
Default

Congrats Dale and good on ya John. That's what this forum is all about.
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
E94 27/30
E94 Crawford color run 4/7
Bender White Cap back run 9/14
Original circulation E98 Master set 120/120

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2023, 08:48 PM
Gorditadogg Gorditadogg is offline
Al Stein
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,572
Default

Go9d for you Dale, are you really done with the set now? If so, congratulations.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2023, 09:27 PM
V117collector's Avatar
V117collector V117collector is online now
Bradley Holt
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 534
Default

Sweet Campanella! I was wondering if you got that card. Congrats on the pick-up.

Last edited by V117collector; 02-02-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2023, 10:06 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Go9d for you Dale, are you really done with the set now? If so, congratulations.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Bad choice of words, Al. I should have wrote "to further help me complete my set"
I still need 3 highs but I am getting there.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2023, 11:39 PM
Harliduck's Avatar
Harliduck Harliduck is offline
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Marysville, Wa
Posts: 1,516
Default

Thanks for the kind words Dale...as I've said, just really honored to be apart of your journey to finish the most iconic post-war set that has your family ties. I've had so many here help me on my journey, just a testament to the wonderful net54 community that adds so much value to all our passion. I don't think I have met anyone here in person, but feel like so many are my friends!


Can't wait to hear about your successes with your remaining 3...ALMOST there!
__________________
John Otto

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1954 Red Heart - 24/33 73%
1953-55 Dormand SGC 39/41 95% SGC AVG Score - 4.03
1964 Topps Giants SGC 20/60 33% SGC AVG Score - 7.43
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2023, 05:43 AM
rugbymarine rugbymarine is online now
Ian H@ll
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 426
Default

I love hearing about stories like that, Dale and John. There are plenty of great people in this hobby.

This 69 Banks arrived yesterday. A short back story. I had a nice copy of this card before and sold it to a Banks collector here on net54 who was down to that as the last card to complete the run. At the time, I didn't really collect Banks, so I was happy to have it go to a great home. Since then, every time I see a decent copy, I would feel a bit of seller's remorse. Banks has a bunch of great-looking cards, but the 69 is amazing. Well, I found another copy, with dynamite centering (especially for 1969!), great color and registration. So I had to go for it. Happy to have this card...again.

__________________
Bought from: orioles93, JK, Chstrite, lug-nut, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, IgnatiusJReilly, jb67, dbfirstman, DeanH3
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2023, 12:19 PM
Natswin2019 Natswin2019 is offline
Patrick
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: VA
Posts: 244
Default

Was finally able to pick up my first Jackie Robinson yesterday from my LCS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230202_182834_762.jpg (203.8 KB, 559 views)
__________________
Collecting

1955 Topps (204/208)
Virginia T206 SLers (8/12)
T210 Richmond Colts (8/18)
T206 Washington Senators (8/19)
Richmond and Virginia pre war minor leaguers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2023, 01:45 PM
butchie_t butchie_t is offline
Butch T.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Nevada
Posts: 948
Default

Continuation of my current theme here. A collection of Senators players for my team set collections. Getting down to finishing off the Topps runs. The older card pickups will be much slower to come by.

And if anyone has some lesser grade 69 Supers of Frank Howard and Camilo Pascual I am interested.

Cheers

B.T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Document_20230203_0003.jpg (190.6 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg Document_20230203_0004.jpg (187.5 KB, 556 views)
__________________
“Man proposes and God disposes.”
U.S. Grant, July 1, 1885

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-03-2023, 03:43 PM
jayshum jayshum is online now
Jay Shumsky
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Bad choice of words, Al. I should have wrote "to further help me complete my set"
I still need 3 highs but I am getting there.

Thanks guys.
Congrats, Dale. Good luck on the final 3.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2023, 04:08 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Thanks for the kind words Dale...as I've said, just really honored to be apart of your journey to finish the most iconic post-war set that has your family ties. I've had so many here help me on my journey, just a testament to the wonderful net54 community that adds so much value to all our passion. I don't think I have met anyone here in person, but feel like so many are my friends!

Can't wait to hear about your successes with your remaining 3...ALMOST there!
Thanks so much again, John. Like I mentioned, acquiring Mr. Campanella has really motivated me now to finish the set. Without Campy, (as I didn't think I'd like ever acquire one) my desire was waning, but now, thanks to you, it has been reignited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Congrats, Dale. Good luck on the final 3.
Thanks, Jay.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2023, 09:26 PM
Gorditadogg Gorditadogg is offline
Al Stein
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymarine View Post
I love hearing about stories like that, Dale and John. There are plenty of great people in this hobby.



This 69 Banks arrived yesterday. A short back story. I had a nice copy of this card before and sold it to a Banks collector here on net54 who was down to that as the last card to complete the run. At the time, I didn't really collect Banks, so I was happy to have it go to a great home. Since then, every time I see a decent copy, I would feel a bit of seller's remorse. Banks has a bunch of great-looking cards, but the 69 is amazing. Well, I found another copy, with dynamite centering (especially for 1969!), great color and registration. So I had to go for it. Happy to have this card...again.



That's a beauty, Ian. Those 69s are tough to find centered, for sure.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-04-2023, 01:19 AM
babraham babraham is offline
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: AZ
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymarine View Post

Great looking Banks...love the centering and color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natswin2019 View Post
Was finally able to pick up my first Jackie Robinson yesterday from my LCS.
Congrats on a beautiful Jackie!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-04-2023, 03:51 PM
butchie_t butchie_t is offline
Butch T.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Nevada
Posts: 948
Default

A couple of Senators additions today. The Mantle HR, I picked up at a show in Vegas today and the Howard Milk Duds came in the mail today.

The Mantle card is a bit hammered but that is fine, it completes my 61 Senators team set, I'm good!

Cheers,

B.T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Document_20230204_0002.jpg (195.4 KB, 514 views)
__________________
“Man proposes and God disposes.”
U.S. Grant, July 1, 1885

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-04-2023, 05:27 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is online now
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,743
Default

I have always found this card to be one of the most visually stunning ever. Such a gripping shot of concentration inside the ballpark cathedral known as the Polo Grounds. It would've been a bit better if the photog took a wee step back, but Campy still looks mah-velous...

1953bowmancampanella46.jpg
__________________
Take a look at my funny Baseball Cards T-Shirts:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320524

Interested in trading? Check out my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-06-2023, 12:31 PM
LuckyLarry's Avatar
LuckyLarry LuckyLarry is offline
L@rry T1p+0n
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,371
Default

I took my grandson to a model train show this past weekend. I enjoyed looking through the paper items (passes schedules postcards) but didn't buy anything. I spied a couple of boxes of baseball cards behind a dealers table and he was glad to let me look through it, but it was filled with late 80s cards which I wasn't interested in. But in the bottom of the box was this beat up photo that measures 11"X14" and I bought it for $1.
Larry


__________________
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-06-2023, 12:41 PM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
John Collins
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,907
Default

Not technically pickups, but a small sub return. If any of you remember “Pube Mantle” from back around last November, that is this ‘63 - returned thankfully this time in a fresh slab, free of short and curlies. If anyone doesn’t think SGC is tough on centering, I would present these cards for evidence. The ‘69 Mantle was a bust of an older PSA 6 slab. The Aaron too I would think could have pulled at least a 6 had it been centered better. Oh well, I love these cards - and am happy.







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Vintage stars & HOF'ers. 1967, '71 & '72 Topps sets.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-06-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-06-2023, 04:39 PM
butchie_t butchie_t is offline
Butch T.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Nevada
Posts: 948
Default

I am flooding the month with my Senators pickups. There are some fantastic cards received from many of you this month. Congrats on the awesome pickups!

Here are mine.

Happy collecting all!

Cheers,

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Document_20230206_0002.jpg (197.3 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg Document_20230206_0003.jpg (191.7 KB, 475 views)
__________________
“Man proposes and God disposes.”
U.S. Grant, July 1, 1885

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-06-2023, 07:32 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
...If anyone doesn’t think SGC is tough on centering, I would present these cards for evidence...Oh well, I love these cards - and am happy.
Those cards look just fine.

Sadly, I believe the current crop of graders is placing a disproportionate amount of weight on centering. After all, it's the card attribute everyone can plainly see without a professional grading company's opinion.

If technical grades are primarily a result of centering, what the hell are people paying for? It used to be for identifying things that couldn't be easily seen in an online image.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (129/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (183/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-06-2023, 08:34 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is offline
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I took my grandson to a model train show this past weekend. I enjoyed looking through the paper items (passes schedules postcards) but didn't buy anything. I spied a couple of boxes of baseball cards behind a dealers table and he was glad to let me look through it, but it was filled with late 80s cards which I wasn't interested in. But in the bottom of the box was this beat up photo that measures 11"X14" and I bought it for $1.
Larry


Clemente for a buck, and such a nostalgic image. Congrats on the pick up.
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
E94 27/30
E94 Crawford color run 4/7
Bender White Cap back run 9/14
Original circulation E98 Master set 120/120

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-07-2023, 03:14 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,405
Default

Lots to like with this one.

__________________
Check out my articles at Cardlines.com!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-08-2023, 12:59 AM
babraham babraham is offline
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: AZ
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Lots to like with this one.

Great looking card with a couple of all-time greats on there!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-09-2023, 08:46 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Lots to like with this one.
I've always had a soft spot for those cards.
In case you didn't know, (as I was also told), this card is the only one that has Clemente, Mays and Hank together on one card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clemente Hank Mays.jpg (86.4 KB, 384 views)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-09-2023, 01:53 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I've always had a soft spot for those cards.
In case you didn't know, (as I was also told), this card is the only one that has Clemente, Mays and Hank together on one card.
That's a good one. I don't have that one yet...but it'll be an awesome one to acquire at some point!
__________________
Check out my articles at Cardlines.com!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-09-2023, 03:33 PM
NiceDocter NiceDocter is offline
Rocky Rockwell
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jacksonville , Florida
Posts: 807
Default Pirates photo

Now you’re getting vintage Pirates photos at a model train show? Lucky Larry you are aptly named!!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-10-2023, 03:31 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,405
Default

Another exciting add from the '56 Topps set. I am really happy with the eye appeal here for a "4".

__________________
Check out my articles at Cardlines.com!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-11-2023, 08:28 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
That's a good one. I don't have that one yet...but it'll be an awesome one to acquire at some point!
I don't follow them religiously but based on what I have seen, the price of them has been in a steady upward trend lately so don't leave it too long.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-11-2023, 09:04 AM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 3,162
Default

Picked up a couple reasonably priced mid-grade copies of classic cards from the '70s. Auction wins from Collector Connection.

(and yes, a cat hair wound up on my scanner...it happens)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1975-Topps-228-George-Brett-(Front).jpg (199.6 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 1971-Topps-5-Thurman-Munson-(Front).jpg (202.3 KB, 352 views)
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (129/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (183/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2023, 04:21 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I don't follow them religiously but based on what I have seen, the price of them has been in a steady upward trend lately so don't leave it too long.
Yeah, just looked what they've been going for...pretty impressive prices in high grade for sure.
__________________
Check out my articles at Cardlines.com!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-12-2023, 08:30 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Yeah, just looked what they've been going for...pretty impressive prices in high grade for sure.
Yeah, it's been pretty surprising what some have gone for lately.
I remember when I got mine, (when collecting 52 Topps was slow) they weren't very popular but that didn't stop me, as like I mentioned, I liked them, plus it filled a void.
Not sure what it is but lately I've noticed a lot of them gaining in popularity.
None of mine are gradable, imo, but trying to save money awaiting for more 52's to pop up, I was fine with that.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1965-Topps-S...orig_cvip=true
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (91.3 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd Mantle.jpg (98.7 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (91.3 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg 63 NL RBI Leader Aaron.jpg (198.1 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg 1965 ERA Leaders.jpg (102.1 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg 1965 HRL.jpg (109.3 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg 1964 Tops in NL Hank n Willie.jpg (94.5 KB, 315 views)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-13-2023, 07:35 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,405
Default

I like leader cards so much, I wrote an article about them.

I look back at PSA 7 graded copies I bought back in say 2016-2018, and the prices were so insanely low compared to today. I was paying less than $20 each for a lot of them back then. Some of the same cards are going for $75 now.
__________________
Check out my articles at Cardlines.com!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-13-2023, 09:09 PM
Harliduck's Avatar
Harliduck Harliduck is offline
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Marysville, Wa
Posts: 1,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
I like leader cards so much, I wrote an article about them.

I look back at PSA 7 graded copies I bought back in say 2016-2018, and the prices were so insanely low compared to today. I was paying less than $20 each for a lot of them back then. Some of the same cards are going for $75 now.
Great article...

As a set collector, the rise in cost was sudden, and shocking. They used to be bargains...those days are over! Great examples, thanks all!
__________________
John Otto

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1954 Red Heart - 24/33 73%
1953-55 Dormand SGC 39/41 95% SGC AVG Score - 4.03
1964 Topps Giants SGC 20/60 33% SGC AVG Score - 7.43
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-14-2023, 08:09 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
John Collins
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Those cards look just fine.

Sadly, I believe the current crop of graders is placing a disproportionate amount of weight on centering. After all, it's the card attribute everyone can plainly see without a professional grading company's opinion.

If technical grades are primarily a result of centering, what the hell are people paying for? It used to be for identifying things that couldn't be easily seen in an online image.
Thanks. I would have to agree with you when anymore centering alone has the ability to downgrade a card by 2, even 3 full points or more. In the 80's and early 90's - centering was just one aspect of grading. Now assuming the card doesn't have a wrinkle or a crease, it's probably the single most important thing along with corners. While I can appreciate the market moving towards desiring perfectly centered cards, those that are just mild to moderately OC and don't look miscut level horrible should not be treated as harshly, IMO. It's part of how the vintage cards were made, and in this day post slabgate, a slightly OC card if anything is just further proof of authenticity. I will look for cards OC up to 70/30 side to side, and even worse than that top to bottom on a lot of vintage stars lately - simply because they are so much cheaper - even if sharp otherwise. While there are OC cards that for whatever reason bother me and I will avoid, I'm not fanatical about it like some people are. I think a lot of this has to do with growing up collecting old cards when centering wasn't even a consideration for the most part.
__________________
Vintage stars & HOF'ers. 1967, '71 & '72 Topps sets.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-14-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-14-2023, 02:28 PM
Tyruscobb Tyruscobb is offline
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 564
Default

Clemente's second most aesthetically appealing card (right behind his 1956 Topps card) in my humble opinion. Hoping this is a slight upgrade to the other one that I own. I'll find out when Bobby's recent PSA group submission returns in August 2023.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clemente2.jpg (196.9 KB, 278 views)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-14-2023, 06:17 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Great article...

As a set collector, the rise in cost was sudden, and shocking. They used to be bargains...those days are over! Great examples, thanks all!
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

Yes, the leader cards used to be silly cheap. Cards with 2 or 3 Hall of Famers, selling for just over the price of a common.
__________________
Check out my articles at Cardlines.com!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-14-2023, 06:29 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is online now
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

Yes, the leader cards used to be silly cheap. Cards with 2 or 3 Hall of Famers, selling for just over the price of a common.
We always collectively called them 'junk' cards (leaders, checklists, playoffs/World Series, etc.) and grouped them together in the back of the box, but they ain't no junk no more (especially your card!).
__________________
Take a look at my funny Baseball Cards T-Shirts:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320524

Interested in trading? Check out my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-14-2023, 09:00 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
We always collectively called them 'junk' cards (leaders, checklists, playoffs/World Series, etc.) and grouped them together in the back of the box, but they ain't no junk no more (especially your card!).
I just wish that when I was informally grabbing them a few years back I'd finished the job. They've gotten a bit tougher to snag affordably at this point.
__________________
Check out my articles at Cardlines.com!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-16-2023, 07:50 PM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
John Collins
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,907
Default

With local pickups lately, I've been on a long, mostly lower grade raw trend. But sometimes a little high end splurge does the heart good:




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Vintage stars & HOF'ers. 1967, '71 & '72 Topps sets.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-16-2023 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-16-2023, 08:36 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,405
Default

Not all LL cards are of the multi-hall-of-famer persuasion, but sometimes the cheap ones are still kinda neat.

__________________
Check out my articles at Cardlines.com!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-19-2023, 05:39 AM
NYYFan63's Avatar
NYYFan63 NYYFan63 is offline
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 696
Default

This arrived this week…




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-21-2023, 05:47 PM
Beercan collector's Avatar
Beercan collector Beercan collector is offline
Eric
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Midwest
Posts: 27
Default

I understand that eBay is the devil .. but if you stick with it you can come up with deals I got 53 Jackie Robinson less than SMR and it’s a nice one - also the void if damage sticker was virtually not applied whatsoever and easily opened
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F9DC69B9-3DB7-42C3-B82A-7FFC5618FD25.jpg (186.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 6355227B-BA01-4A87-A240-3F1DF57F8D46.jpg (190.1 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg D5EC8F2A-04BC-4061-8469-4E21BCCC5CC0.jpg (185.5 KB, 169 views)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-22-2023, 06:55 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
I understand that eBay is the devil .. but if you stick with it you can come up with deals. I got a 53 Jackie Robinson less than SMR and it’s a nice one - also the void if damage sticker was virtually not applied whatsoever and easily opened
Nice card, Eric!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-22-2023, 12:55 PM
NYYFan63's Avatar
NYYFan63 NYYFan63 is offline
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 696
Default

Forgot to add this. Picked this up a coiled weeks ago. The 66 Mays is one of my favorite Mays cards..




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-24-2023, 05:01 PM
rugbymarine rugbymarine is online now
Ian H@ll
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 426
Default

Rob, The 66 Mays and Seaver RC are outstanding!

Just got around to scanning this addition to my growing Hammerin Hank collection.

__________________
Bought from: orioles93, JK, Chstrite, lug-nut, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, IgnatiusJReilly, jb67, dbfirstman, DeanH3
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-25-2023, 07:08 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is online now
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,743
Default

Had a blast today (if "blast" can be defined as being crammed into an overcrowded, tight space with 99% of the tables vending the shiny stuff, while everyone used their bulky backpacks to turn the room into a human pinball machine) at a show today, and negotiated like hell to bring home some serious eye (appeal) candy at pretty nice prices.

The 1954 #1 Teddy Ballgame is the best PSA 3 I will ever see (and it's newly graded), the 1969 #95 Johnny Bench is deliciously centered and sharp, and it's everybody's favorite card from that era. With the 1961 Mantle HR card, it comes down to this: if you can find any decent looking Mantle card for under $100, you jump...

02:23Pickups1954williams1969bench1961mantleHR.jpg

02:23Pickups1966northrup1963koufaxleaders1971hodges1967santo.jpg
__________________
Take a look at my funny Baseball Cards T-Shirts:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320524

Interested in trading? Check out my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-25-2023, 08:00 PM
Gorditadogg Gorditadogg is offline
Al Stein
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Had a blast today (if "blast" can be defined as being crammed into an overcrowded, tight space with 99% of the tables vending the shiny stuff, while everyone used their bulky backpacks to turn the room into a human pinball machine) at a show today, and negotiated like hell to bring home some serious eye (appeal) candy at pretty nice prices.



The 1954 #1 Teddy Ballgame is the best PSA 3 I will ever see (and it's newly graded), the 1969 #95 Johnny Bench is deliciously centered and sharp, and it's everybody's favorite card from that era. With the 1961 Mantle HR card, it comes down to this: if you can find any decent looking Mantle card for under $100, you jump...



Attachment 559601



Attachment 559602
The Bench is not even close to centered. Did you put the wrong card up? But Northrup and Hodges sure are keepers.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-25-2023, 08:26 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is online now
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
The Bench is not even close to centered. Did you put the wrong card up? But Northrup and Hodges sure are keepers.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Gee, surprise, surprise, more snark from you. I like the centering a lot. If you don't, who cares?? Move on.
__________________
Take a look at my funny Baseball Cards T-Shirts:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320524

Interested in trading? Check out my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-26-2023, 02:51 PM
butchie_t butchie_t is offline
Butch T.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Nevada
Posts: 948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Had a blast today (if "blast" can be defined as being crammed into an overcrowded, tight space with 99% of the tables vending the shiny stuff, while everyone used their bulky backpacks to turn the room into a human pinball machine) at a show today, and negotiated like hell to bring home some serious eye (appeal) candy at pretty nice prices.
Nice pickup’s Darren, they all look tasty.

Butch
__________________
“Man proposes and God disposes.”
U.S. Grant, July 1, 1885

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-26-2023, 02:57 PM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Had a blast today (if "blast" can be defined as being crammed into an overcrowded, tight space with 99% of the tables vending the shiny stuff, while everyone used their bulky backpacks to turn the room into a human pinball machine) at a show today, and negotiated like hell to bring home some serious eye (appeal) candy at pretty nice prices.



The 1954 #1 Teddy Ballgame is the best PSA 3 I will ever see (and it's newly graded), the 1969 #95 Johnny Bench is deliciously centered and sharp, and it's everybody's favorite card from that era. With the 1961 Mantle HR card, it comes down to this: if you can find any decent looking Mantle card for under $100, you jump...



Attachment 559601



Attachment 559602
Nice stuff, Darren! That Bench is my favorite of the group. That's one I'll eventually need for my '69 set. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
February Pick Up Thread Baseballcrazy62 Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 31 02-29-2020 09:04 AM
4th February Pick-Up Thread Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 37 02-21-2009 05:18 PM
3rd February Pick-Up Thread Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 45 02-17-2009 07:56 AM
2nd February Pick-Up Thread Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 42 02-11-2009 06:20 PM
5th February Pick-up Thread Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 34 03-01-2008 07:37 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 PM.


ebay GSB