NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-27-2023, 09:48 PM
Tim Odeen

Default Did Topps Tiffany Commonly Get Into Kids Hands?

A question was asked on Twitter if Tiffany sets ever were given to kids. The overwhelming response was no - it was an adult set and monetarily out of the reach of young collectors. But it feels speculative. I'm not sure any of my Twitter peers are old enough to have thoroughly known the hobby when Tiffany was released in 1983. I know Tiffany sets from mid-90s Beckett price guides.

So, for you elder statesmen of the hobby who can remember 1983 / 1984 / 1985....in how many of these early years were Tiffany sets seen as a gimmick and given to young collectors?

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-27-2023, 09:54 PM

I think each card shop could only get 1 case of six sets
Old 03-28-2023, 12:00 AM

I LOL at “elder statesmen of the hobby who can remember 1983 / 1984 / 1985.” Please, someone tell me this cannot be an accurate representation of “elder statesman” ….
Old 03-28-2023, 05:27 AM
Bill H@e1ig

first Tiffany issue was actually 1984
Old 03-28-2023, 07:52 AM
Ben North

Never seen any full sets but lots of singles for young player collectors back in the 80s.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:12 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

As a kid collector in the 80’s, my friends and I had no clue Tiffany existed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2023, 08:19 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default 1987 Topps tiffany sets

A collector buddy bought two 87 sets with updates at a recent card show. I think for around $1,500--he thinks they are good investment's, I'm skeptical.

Last edited by Directly; 03-28-2023 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:35 AM
Al Richter

I have the sets 84-91 and associated Updates still in sealed boxes. They may be all stuck together by now. Have not followed prices. Later picked up the 2001 and 2002 Limited sets, which I think may be similar. One sealed, and one opened and ok

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-28-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:01 AM

I collected HEAVILY when I was a little guy. I mean every set: Upper Deck, Topps, Pacific, Pinnacle, Flair, Donruss, Leaf, everything I could get my hands on.

I never heard of Topps Tiffany until I was an adult.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:11 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo Hungo View Post
I LOL at “elder statesmen of the hobby who can remember 1983 / 1984 / 1985.” Please, someone tell me this cannot be an accurate representation of “elder statesman” ….
I'm 37 years old. I was 5 when I started buying 1991 Topps. But I never saw Tiffany at a store; I still only see it on ebay. Someone who would be 50 this year would have been 9yo when 1984 Tiffany was released. So an elder statesman would have to be at least 60 yo to be in a position to have obtained these sets, or even older if they owned a card shop business in the early 80s and were able to order a case.

I knew about Tiffany in the mid-90s when I was 10yo because of Beckett Magazine Hot 20. Chipper Jones and KGJ Tiffany cards were usually on those lists.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-28-2023, 11:40 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I'm 37 years old. I was 5 when I started buying 1991 Topps. But I never saw Tiffany at a store; I still only see it on ebay. Someone who would be 50 this year would have been 9yo when 1984 Tiffany was released. So an elder statesman would have to be at least 60 yo to be in a position to have obtained these sets, or even older if they owned a card shop business in the early 80s and were able to order a case.

I knew about Tiffany in the mid-90s when I was 10yo because of Beckett Magazine Hot 20. Chipper Jones and KGJ Tiffany cards were usually on those lists.
I've got almost a decade on you, Tim, although probably still not enough to qualify for the elder statesman title. I remember riding my bike down to Safeway to buy packs from the 1987 set.

And my friends and I were definitely aware of the Topps Tiffany product. If memory serves, you could buy individual Tiffany items from the local card shop "Mike's Dugout". My recollection from the time is that while I thought they looked cool, I was more interested in buying the less expensive regular Topps pieces.

As a completely random and unrelated aside, going down to Mike's Dugout (also on my bike), I still remember separating out my purchases to reduce my sales tax burden. If you purchased an item at 7 cents and above, you paid at least a penny of sales tax. At 6 cents and below, zero sales tax. I remember strategically spacing my purchases. Buy an item for 6 cents, pay for it. Look around a bit more. Buy another item for 6 cents, pay for it. Look around some more. Either Mike was wise to what I was doing, or he thought I was just a kid who couldn't make up his mind.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-28-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have the sets 84-91 and associated Updates still in sealed boxes. They maybe all stuck together by now. Have not followed prices. Later picked up the 2001 and 2002 Limited sets, which I think may be similar. On sealed, and one opened and ok
Remember Justin's freezer trick for unsticking cards from this era.

I have most Tiffany sets and updates. I remember them being sold in card shops, but not being able to buy a whole set. The card shop I frequented, used to sell a bunch of singles for set builders. I presume the shop owner kept most of the star cards and sold off the singles.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:38 PM
Jim M.arinari

Any individual cards that were sold were from set breaks. Sets were only available by the (6) case. You had to have a Topps dealer account just to be able to buy a case.
My memory is that if you wanted to order, there was an allocation based on the dealers regular issues (not just baseball) order amount, with a limit on quantity. (say, $50K+, you could buy 50 cases. $20K, 15 cases). They then would fulfill orders and worked their way down to lower level accounts. Us local hotel and mall schleppers would pool together and get an order from someone who had extra slots.

I believe that later they offered me an allotment as incentive for ordering a certain amount of product (Football! Basketball! Hockey!, lol), but that may have been something else.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:05 PM

To me, the elder statesmen are those who purchased '52 Topps in packs in, well, '52. Although I would probably be lumped in there as well these days - I began ripping in '78 and can clearly recall that time when there was Topps, Kelloggs, Hostess and then wait til next year.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:39 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo Hungo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
To me, the elder statesmen are those who purchased '52 Topps in packs in, well, '52. Although I would probably be lumped in there as well these days - I began ripping in '78 and can clearly recall that time when there was Topps, Kelloggs, Hostess and then wait til next year.
If buying 1952 packs is the line in the sand, we are taking about the same generation. By 1984, these kids would have been old enough to own a card shop and order a case. Or they were old enough with cash flow to buy a set.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:44 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I've got almost a decade on you, Tim, although probably still not enough to qualify for the elder statesman title. I remember riding my bike down to Safeway to buy packs from the 1987 set.

And my friends and I were definitely aware of the Topps Tiffany product. If memory serves, you could buy individual Tiffany items from the local card shop "Mike's Dugout". My recollection from the time is that while I thought they looked cool, I was more interested in buying the less expensive regular Topps pieces.

As a completely random and unrelated aside, going down to Mike's Dugout (also on my bike), I still remember separating out my purchases to reduce my sales tax burden. If you purchased an item at 7 cents and above, you paid at least a penny of sales tax. At 6 cents and below, zero sales tax. I remember strategically spacing my purchases. Buy an item for 6 cents, pay for it. Look around a bit more. Buy another item for 6 cents, pay for it. Look around some more. Either Mike was wise to what I was doing, or he thought I was just a kid who couldn't make up his mind.
I bought my packs at Buttrey's Grocery in Montana (eventually bought by Albertsons). I didn't even know card shops existed for 3-4 more years! At 5, I was aware enough when my mom said she was getting groceries that I would ask to tag along in order to get another pack.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:52 PM
Curt

I seem to recall mail order catalogs (TCMA/Renata Galasso type sellers) offering Tiffany sets, but that they were grossly expensive compared to the regular set, so if you were a kid at the time, you probably weren't forking over the $ for one.

That is something I wondered when I found a flyer for the Penn Emblem patches of 1979. You could order any of the 100+ patches, but there was a 3 patch minimum order and at $2.50 per patch with 50 cents shipping, you were at $8 for the three. I don't remember what the pack price was for Topps in 1979, but I bet a full box was close to the same price and choosing between 36 packs ready for immediate consumption or 3 patches that you'd have to wait for to be delivered via mail....which would have won out?
Old 03-28-2023, 09:34 PM

I'm quite surprised how many of you hadn't seen or even heard of Tiffany until years after the fact. My first memory is of reading about them in one hobby rag or another, so I was already familiar with them when I first started seeing the odd sealed set being offered at small Canadian shows in the late 1980's. I also recall obtaining a handful of singles just by chance around the same time. They were likely part of cheap, larger lots of commons.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:57 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I was 14 in 84, and buying all the packs I could get my hands on...and a couple times a year would visit the card shop here in Washington (it was an hour away, which may have been a state away for a 14 year old)...and I had never heard of Tiffany sets. I don't remember when I first heard about them...but it certainly wasn't apart of my childhood. I would have definitely wanted them...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-29-2023, 07:32 AM
St@n Go.len

I only knew of Tiffany from SCD and the like. And they were always mad expensive

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2023, 08:00 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I remember seeing the sets in shops, I didn't hear anyone call them Tiffany until years later. They were very expensive and not sold in packs, I wasn't interested at all back then.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:08 AM
Steve Birmingham

The main shop I went to carried them in 84 and after, I think they got them direct from Topps, but I'm not positive.

They mostly sold them as complete sets, and sold out pretty quickly.

I've had a few here and there, and at one point had an 88 set that had all the stars pulled out. That was typical for a while the stars sold for more than the set, but the commons just didn't sell well at all. I sold that batch after a few years. It was simpler and cheaper to buy a sealed set, and mine wasnot well centered anyway.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:14 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I am kind of proud that I became an elder stateman at 50, lol. (Just messing with you Tim. )

I remember Tiffany launching quite well. Not much so in 84', but by the 85' release it had entrenched itself as a holy grail item far outside my price range. I had no neighborhood friends that had examples, but did see them for sale in the larger card shop at the time on 28th street in Grand Rapids Mi and at the ubiquitous every other month card shows at the local mall in any sizeable city of the 80's.

The firm hammer for the card world and establishment of Tiffany would come a few years later because of the 1985 Topps USA Team Mark McGwire Athletics #401 during Big Mac's 15 minutes. Any card shop worth their salt had an astronomically priced one in the case for the ooh's and aah's for onlookers.

That card was the lynchpin of Tiffany's place in Topps history.

As for "given" to kids...no way. Tiffany was far out of a kid's financial reach. I will say that I did get my first examples due to the success of that Mcgwire. The draw of that card caused set breaks and I was able to add some Tigers to my collection from those breaks as singles were now available under a fiver for semi stars and a buck or two for commons.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 03-29-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:38 AM
Rich Klein

1991 Tiffany sets are the lowest print run of any of them at least in my opinion. So the odds of them being in stores that year are very minimal
Old 03-29-2023, 02:08 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I remember seeing the sets in shops, I didn't hear anyone call them Tiffany until years later. They were very expensive and not sold in packs, I wasn't interested at all back then.
I think they might have been called "collector's edition"?

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-29-2023, 03:00 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I feel like the term was just added at some time in the late 80's by collectors. Seems like like it happened rather quickly. I wish I still had some old guides around, but most were tossed during moves as it would be interesting to see when the Beckett or SCD books started calling them that.

Topps would have never been able to call them Tiffany without being sued to high heaven without a licensing agreement.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:20 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

I only bought singles at shows. I did find out years later that one was not a Tiffany. As a kid you just bought and trusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I have the sets 84-91 and associated Updates still in sealed boxes. They may be all stuck together by now. Have not followed prices. Later picked up the 2001 and 2002 Limited sets, which I think may be similar. One sealed, and one opened and ok
Al - I broke a seal and busted an 86 Topps Tiffany set recently and the cards showed no signs of sticking at all. They were prisitine and slid out of the box nicely.
RayB

To answer the original question; I would have to think that there were a few "hobby aware" parents that might have given the set to their kids as a birthday or Christmas gift back in the day. So lets just say yes; a small percentage got in the hands of kids. Anecdotal of course.

Last edited by RayBShotz; 03-30-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:51 AM
+0m J()rd@N

As a couple posters pointed out above, I believe the only way young 'uns got their hands on Tiffany cards was through set breaks. I've got a few singles from various years and a complete 1987 regular and Traded set, but that's about it.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 03-31-2023, 05:17 AM

As this thread shows most kids at the time, including myself, never heard of Tiffany cards. Beckett was the preferred go to for kids at the time and Tiffany cards were left out of the price guide until the mid to late , 90s well after the last printed Tiffany set of 1991.

Even those kids that did hear about them through their LCS, the price was well out of their reach.
Sure, there may have been some kids somewhere that bought them or received them as a gift (most likely 1987-1989 as these had much higher print runs), but not enough to have any significant impact. A much more likely impact would be sets purchased by adult collects at the time who passed away or threw their collections away as the era became known as junk wax.

Up until recently, I had been tracking down as many sets numbers as I could. You can find the list of found sets on my website www.tiffanycards.com
Old 03-31-2023, 07:04 AM
Al Richter

Welcome to the board. Neat web site. I have a sealed set of the 52 Reprints but was unaware they are considered Tiffany cards. Do they differ from the 53 and 54 Reprint sets ?. I have the Tiffany sets from 84 to 91 but only the 2001 and 2002 Limited sets. Good to know about the other years they were issued
Old 03-31-2023, 08:57 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
Al - I broke a seal and busted an 86 Topps Tiffany set recently and the cards showed no signs of sticking at all. They were pristine and slid out of the box nicely.
I have honestly not seen too much issue with bricking on Tiffany, the ugly yellowing for sure, but bricking has not been an issue. I wish I could solve the yellowing issues but my solution has been just to not buy any already changing, try to keep out of direct sun, and keep my fingers crossed so far.

I do admit I am very selective about where I buy sealed glossy from and have had fairly good luck. I believe wholeheartedly that bricking is from poor storage conditions. High heat and humidity are the absolute worst for gloss. It causes the gloss to subtly melt and gain a mild viscosity. Then as the cards come back to temp, that gloss rehardens and forms the "glue" sticking these together. This is why I adopted the method mentioned earlier of freezing the cards at least overnight prior to opening as the frozen gloss is far easier to separate.

As to my purchases, I avoid areas that have a likelihood of high heat or humid storage in a non-temp controlled environment. Places like storage units, attics, or garages. No buys in southern climates, I try to buy northern. While this is certainly not foolproof in any way as who knows the travels of those cards in 40 years plus, it has given me better luck.

I would advise any junk wax hoarders in areas like this to make sure their stash is in a ventilated and air conditioned area of your home. If you live in the north and have a basement with no water issues, it is a great place too. I find it a perfect place and have never had bricking. Sadly, my second divorce left a good pile of items in a garage over a summer due to no other option and I had issues with those cards. I was more upset about the junk wax than the wife, lol.

Old 03-31-2023, 12:43 PM
Jason Presley

Bricking usually only occurs with cards that have that high gloss coating on both sides. Putting a high glossy coating on both side of trading cards has always been an extremely bad idea.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:23 PM
Al Richter

Ray, Justin and Jason---thanks for the input
Old 04-01-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the board. Neat web site. I have a sealed set of the 52 Reprints but was unaware they are considered Tiffany cards. Do they differ from the 53 and 54 Reprint sets ?. I have the Tiffany sets from 84 to 91 but only the 2001 and 2002 Limited sets. Good to know about the other years they were issued

I included the 52 reprint as a Tiffany set bc it has the same box design and card quality of all the other Tiffany sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2023, 02:11 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Bricking usually only occurs with cards that have that high gloss coating on both sides. Putting a high glossy coating on both side of trading cards has always been an extremely bad idea.
Indeed, you need the magic combo of double gloss. The worst cards I have noticed for bricking are most of the Pinnacle products and the Wild card releases. Just horribly difficult to store these two brands without penny sleeving them all.