NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2023, 09:49 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Collection Value

A few weeks back I posted about getting insurance and got great impute and direction. I find myself again needing a little more help ? I need to establish values on my cards.

Is there a web site that has a search engine for pre-war or a book or magazine that I can buy to get current prices ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums

Last edited by garymc; 03-28-2023 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:52 AM
Joe M.

My suggestion would be to check any and as many auction sites for recent prices. And ebay.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-28-2023, 10:13 AM
Ma-rc Alph0ns0

I've been using VCP for about 8 years now. Annual subscription cost is $190 I believe.

https://vintagecardprices.com/
Old 03-28-2023, 10:47 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Collection Value

I failed to mention that my collection is 90% RAW. I started collecting in 1992 and it has been only the last couple of years that I've been getting graded cards in trades and at auction.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:57 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
I failed to mention that my collection is 90% RAW. I started collecting in 1992 and it has been only the last couple of years that I've been getting graded cards in trades and at auction.
Insurance companies will parrot the terms "like kind and quality" to you over and over again. Looks like you have a good photo log of a lot of your pieces, which should help to document the precise items and their quality. Hopefully it's complete.

The gist of the insurance companies' approach is that they will either find replacements that are of similar quality, or they will cut you a check for the amount of your coverage if they can't replace it.

My advice would be to estimate the amount that you would need to pay to replace each item if you had to go out and buy it retail, which is often a lot higher than auction prices. For some stuff, it's not easy to find comps, particularly with raw obscure pieces, just because they're that hard to find, and come onto the market very infrequently. Ebay is certainly a good resource. You can also use cardfinder, which is free, and has the added benefit of including raw cards, although I'm not sure how complete their database is.

In some cases, any given item might not have sold recently, so you'll be relying on old sales data to pick a number. Just make sure to factor in the dramatic runup in prices over the last couple of years.

Ultimately, for some things it might be tough to find much, so you will probably just have to give it your best guess. I would aim a little on the high side, just to give yourself some cushion. Because we all know that when it comes to stuff that is difficult to find, the price can jump in a hurry if you're competing with a few other collectors to get it.

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-28-2023, 11:09 AM
Jeff Willi@ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3112 View Post
I've been using VCP for about 8 years now. Annual subscription cost is $190 I believe.

https://vintagecardprices.com/
am a subscriber as well, excellent site.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:20 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

or use the PSA site, click on auction prices. ITS FREE!
Old 03-28-2023, 02:17 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm trying to find current selling prices, so if something happens to me, what little family I have, has an idea of the going rate. The biggest issue is nearly all my T206's are non Piedmont and Sweet Caporal. I could tell them to just auction them off, and where it ends, it ends. But I'd rather they have the option to offer the cards here on Net54, and the couple facebook groups I'm a part of. I'm planning on scanning all my cards and adding them to a website, where I can update sales on the same card, in different grades, because many of my cards just don't get offered for sale, or they are old prices from years ago, with many that only show what I originally paid 6 plus years ago. Cobbs in a SGC 20 with a Sovereign 150 back, no longer sell for $750. Or cards like a Lundgren Cubs with a EPDG back thats graded SGC 60. How do you find a current sale price on it? Online subscription guides only show common back prices, unless there's something new out there that I don't know about. Plus I'm not just dealing with a couple hundred cards, because then I wouldn't be as concerned, but I'm dealing with 1600+ cards, and that's just for the T206's. I don't have any kids, otherwise I wouldn't be concerned as much. Hopefully we can both get some good advice on value/comps.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-28-2023, 03:22 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Insurance companies will parrot the terms "like kind and quality" to you over and over again. Looks like you have a good photo log of a lot of your pieces, which should help to document the precise items and their quality. Hopefully it's complete.

The gist of the insurance companies' approach is that they will either find replacements that are of similar quality, or they will cut you a check for the amount of your coverage if they can't replace it.

My advice would be to estimate the amount that you would need to pay to replace each item if you had to go out and buy it retail, which is often a lot higher than auction prices. For some stuff, it's not easy to find comps, particularly with raw obscure pieces, just because they're that hard to find, and come onto the market very infrequently. Ebay is certainly a good resource. You can also use cardfinder, which is free, and has the added benefit of including raw cards, although I'm not sure how complete their database is.

In some cases, any given item might not have sold recently, so you'll be relying on old sales data to pick a number. Just make sure to factor in the dramatic runup in prices over the last couple of years.

Ultimately, for some things it might be tough to find much, so you will probably just have to give it your best guess. I would aim a little on the high side, just to give yourself some cushion. Because we all know that when it comes to stuff that is difficult to find, the price can jump in a hurry if you're competing with a few other collectors to get it.
+1 Agree and as others said the VCP site is really good

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-28-2023, 03:39 PM
octavio ranzola

Default Heres my

Insurance she watches my safes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82B61E95-11DE-4BBE-B6D2-96E1697D622F.jpg (130.5 KB, 547 views)
Old 03-29-2023, 05:26 AM
Gary McNabb

Cute dog.........

Isn't there a magazine or a book that I can buy ?
Old 03-29-2023, 04:11 PM

There are apps you can purchase, or some of them are even free.

I use Center Stage for my iPhone. It is free.

You simply hold your phone over the card, after two or three seconds, it identifies it, and it gives you the value based on eBay sold sales.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Never mind, missed that it was all prewar.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-29-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:58 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

How large is your collection?

I recently created an Excel spreadsheet to list/organize my entire graded card collection (have no idea what to do about ungraded yet, if anything at all). Took forever, because I didn't realize I had so much plastic, but now have the option to (manually) enter/amend 'estimated values' to keep a running tally.

After you find the right method to assess the value of your cards, it might be a workable option for you if the size of your collection doesn't dissuade you from doing so.

Good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:26 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Yep, I go to psacard.com and check auction prices for my cards. For raw cards, you can also look at their "PSA value," which used to be called SMR value.

I also like the VCP site, because it will automatically update your prices based on reported card sales. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, though, on getting a subscription.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Agree with Chris. The PSA app allows you to enter both PSA and non-PSA cards (read "raw"). Auction values (APR Values) as well as PSA's estimate of values are provided for your PSA entries and you can use their raw data to guestimate the raw or other graded card values.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:49 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Photo values

I am about 90% done with a card spreadsheet and I just finished a photo inventory of my Highlander photos. I have photos of the backs but didn't include them in the inventory ? Here are my photo's..........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843...77720307100420
Old 04-01-2023, 03:02 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
I am about 90% done with a card spreadsheet and I just finished a photo inventory of my Highlander photos. I have photos of the backs but didn't include them in the inventory ? Here are my photo's..........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843...77720307100420
Luckily I built my spreadsheet while I would purchase each card, along with a running total. So I have original purchase dates and prices I paid, along with all the card details. I wish I would have made a location for the seller of the card though.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11