NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Pull Trigger On Trade
Yes 68 40.00%
No 102 60.00%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I would trade.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Make it a Baltimore News Ruth PSA 1 instead and I would say hell yeah.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 05-15-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

wow very hard call here, do you have a scan of the ruth u can post?
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Make it a Baltimore News Ruth PSA 1 instead and I would say hell yeah.
+1
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I have another angle for you. Did you discuss a selling price for the Ruth card with him? Since you have so many great cards in that trade list, maybe you can talk him into selling it to you for a 'fair' price. That way you could sell some of your incredibly valuable cards to generate the necessary funds and buy it outright. The end result would be that you'd get the Ruth PLUS you'll hold onto a bunch of your original cards.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Matt

Basically we're saying the Ruth is priced at 30k, and these cards would net that in sales. Sure, I could sub out a card from the list and substitute cash. The cards are available to see in my sigline's link, as I have begun to scan my collection; point being many are high end for the grade, take the Koufax's centering for example, so the earlier approximation of 25-28 is just about right when factoring in how a few will do better than VCP avg. Of course there are the PayPal or consignor fees to weigh in as well. Upshot is the list should net around 30k = the Ruth.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-15-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

MattyC

I have also changed my view make the trade!!! Is it graded by SGC/PSA/BVG? That would factor in a lot for me if it was graded or not....if it was not graded I would pass no matter what...but that is me.

Post #14

Last edited by Zone91; 05-15-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Matt

Zone, now you see it's not an easy call, lol.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

MattyC

No actually it is very very easy if it is a graded copy SGC/PSA/BVG as a 1....simply make the trade if it is raw I say forget it!!! The guy I told you about told me today he has 3 separate orders for one. It will for sure be a expensive card down the road as well....and a very easy sell!!!

My last post for today take care guys!!!

Last edited by Zone91; 05-15-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Rob

Default Ruth

I voted for the Ruth.

I could see where a Dealer might want the portfolio of high grade cards to spread out risk, speculate, wheel and deal.

I have several of the cards in the list sitting around in boxes in vg/e. Brett, Winfield, Henderson, etc.

I do not own a Ruth rookie.

Also, if you ever need to cash out, it seems like it would be easy to unload the Ruth in a few hours. Just my .02
Old 05-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Matt

Take care, Zone.

I'm happy to say I have a sound plan of action in place, due in large part to the keen advice of a fellow member here. A relatively short time will tell how it all works out. With any luck (which is not usually my strong suit), I'll have a nice late-May pickup to post in the monthly thread (and a bottle of nice wine will be on the way to the aforementioned board member). If not, all good, the search will continue.

Thanks yet again for all the responses, guys. It helps make for a well-considered decision; in our hobby those tend to be the best kind, as hasty ones never seem to work out so well

Best,

Matt
Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
nels0n aud.et

Good luck Matt. Hope you will be the proud owner of a Rookie Ruth card.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Jason

I am having the same debacle now, trading my small nice collection of great cards to get one super nice card. It would leave with one card versus a group of 6 cards. Is it worth it? I am curious to know....
Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
I am having the same debacle now, trading my small nice collection of great cards to get one super nice card. It would leave with one card versus a group of 6 cards. Is it worth it? I am curious to know....
Wich cards you want to let it go and for wich super nice card ?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Jason

Trying to get a Magie SGC 10 (but a nice 10), you might agree with me Nelson. I would be giving up quite a few good cards. A tough call or an easy decision?

Last edited by jthorst75; 05-15-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: data mask
Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
Trying to get a Magie SGC 10 (but a nice 10), you might agree with me Nelson. I would be giving up a 51 Mantle PSA 4, T206 Cobb red and green both SGC/PSA 3, T206 Johnson portrait PSA 3, M116 Wagner SGC 20, T206 Matty gray cap PSA 1.5. A tough call or an easy decision?
AT how much do you estimate the value of each of your cards ?
I am familliar with T206 value but not an expert in mantle rookie or m116 card...
For me a nice looking Magie graded 1 have a value arround 6000-7000. Do you have the ebay Magie in your mind ?

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 05-15-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:46 AM
Banned

no way would I do this trade. I know that Ruth card is a great card but you are sure giving up way to much in my opinion to get it.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Pete Costanzo

Default Ruth

Absolutely I'd do it. All those cards you have although nice cards, are all replaceable and found without too much difficulty. There are about 100 Ruth RC's known. The Ruth will appreciate a good bit more than those will and you can free up safe space. I paid 42.5k for my Ruth SGC 20. If its a nice 1, it's a 25-30k card for sure.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoz View Post
Absolutely I'd do it. All those cards you have although nice cards, are all replaceable and found without too much difficulty. There are about 100 Ruth RC's known. The Ruth will appreciate a good bit more than those will and you can free up safe space. I paid 42.5k for my Ruth SGC 20. If its a nice 1, it's a 25-30k card for sure.
My opinion is you can easily double or triple that amount of Ruths known. It is not a rare card....Maybe "scarce" because of demand, but fairly common otherwise. Included in my estimate are folks that have them and are not in the "new" hobby.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
My opinion is you can easily double or triple that amount of Ruths known. It is not a rare card....Maybe "scarce" because of demand, but fairly common otherwise. Included in my estimate are folks that have them and are not in the "new" hobby.
Hi Leon, its Joe T. and while I agree there may be some 150 to 200 Ruth rookie cards in private collections (give or take), the demand you mentioned will continue to exponentially grow far beyond the supply, whatever that number may be. Until the last several years, the true rookie card of baseball's greatest player ever has always been significantly undervalued, and it was only a matter of time before collectors began paying premium prices for the Babe's inaugural major league baseball card. How many examples are truly out there? 150, 200, 300...whatever. It doesn't really matter because thousands of collectors may eventually seek this card as it continues to gather momentum. Supply vs. demand is the ultimate driver of rising price tags and while not rare, there simply aren't enough Ruth rookie cards to satisfy the collecting community. Just my thoughts.

Best Regards,
Joe
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

The only card I would remove from that list of trades would be the Koufax. All the other cards are pretty much high grade fluff. Basketball and football cards are so replaceable it's not even funny, even in high grade. And unless Michael Jordan unexpectedly dies anytime soon, his cards' values aren't going anywhere. Take away the Koufax and see if he'll still do the deal. That's what I would do.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

You never said if it was raw or graded that would help!!

Post # 2
Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Matt Miller

Matty, I probably wouldn't make the deal. I was faced with a similar situation last year and made the trade/sold my cards and have really regretted it. In fact it was one of the dumber things I think I have done. You know me and the type of cards I had, and I have had an incredibly difficult time trying to replace many of them.

With all the being said, I understand why you would be doing the deal, and in fact agree with the others that the Ruth will have greater value over the long haul. I just happen to prefer having more than one card.

GL, Matt
Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Hi Leon, its Joe T. and while I agree there may be some 150 to 200 Ruth rookie cards in private collections (give or take), the demand you mentioned will continue to exponentially grow far beyond the supply, whatever that number may be. Until the last several years, the true rookie card of baseball's greatest player ever has always been significantly undervalued, and it was only a matter of time before collectors began paying premium prices for the Babe's inaugural major league baseball card. How many examples are truly out there? 150, 200, 300...whatever. It doesn't really matter because thousands of collectors may eventually seek this card as it continues to gather momentum. Supply vs. demand is the ultimate driver of rising price tags and while not rare, there simply aren't enough Ruth rookie cards to satisfy the collecting community. Just my thoughts.

Best Regards,
Joe
joe t. from nyc is obviously biased here because i KNOW he has 5-6 ruth rookies bought from before this card exploded the last 2 years.

to me it depends on whether the jordan bgs 9.5 would cross to a psa 10, but i probably still wouldn't do it. you can sell all those cards and just wait a ruth out (maybe even a nice 1.5 or 2). i'll put you in touch with a guy. imo a 1 is 15-20k which i still think is overpriced but that's the current price i guess.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
joe t. from nyc is obviously biased here because i KNOW he has 5-6 ruth rookies bought from before this card exploded the last 2 years.

to me it depends on whether the jordan bgs 9.5 would cross to a psa 10, but i probably still wouldn't do it. you can sell all those cards and just wait a ruth out (maybe even a nice 1.5 or 2). i'll put you in touch with a guy. imo a 1 is 15-20k which i still think is overpriced but that's the current price i guess.
I saw 2 Rookie Ruth at Joe T table at the last boston show... 2 verry nice cards
Old 05-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Matt

Joe T,

C'mon, brother-- just sell me one. I can gift you the loot today-- unless they are PSA 4s

Hit me on PM and let's do a nice deal!

Best,

Matt

Last edited by MattyC; 05-17-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Joe T,

C'mon, brother-- just sell me one. I can gift you the loot today-- unless they are PSA 4s

Hit me on PM and let's do a nice deal!

Best,

Matt
Joe T had a nice SGC AUTH for sale in his case at the shriners last april.

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 05-17-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

How much was he asking for the one graded authentic...does anyone know?

Joe do you still have it for sale could you share a picture of the front and back here?

I am also going to be in the market for one in a little while (next few months or sooner). Of course MattyC asked 1st so I will respect if he makes the buy before I do...not here to cause trouble with other members...I believe in 1st come 1st served and he was ahead of me.

Post # 8

Last edited by Zone91; 05-17-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I am first and foremost a passionate private collector, and very rarely a seller. I've been slowly moving away from condition rarities into more genuine rarities across all grades, while still focusing on my favorite HOFers.
You just answered your question. The value of the stuff you listed is tied up in the plastic numbers. I guarantee if that is how you feel you will be just as happy with presentable midgrade cards as with the high number plastics. I have been downgrading for a few years that way and I am pleased as punch with the breadth of cards I can now afford to have in lieu of a high grade plastic entombed card or two. There's a ton of affordable Topps midgrade out there.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-17-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:50 PM
"Bud"
Banned

As long as the Ruth has great eye appeal, pull the trigger!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
How much was he asking for the one graded authentic...does anyone know?

Joe do you still have it for sale could you share a picture of the front and back here?

I am also going to be in the market for one in a little while (next few months or sooner). Of course MattyC asked 1st so I will respect if he makes the buy before I do...not here to cause trouble with other members...I believe in 1st come 1st served and he was ahead of me.

Post # 8
I know how much Joe T asked for the card but i will let him give his price here on the board if the card is still avalaible.
The AUTH card have a verry beautifull eyes appeal in my memories

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 05-17-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

g_vezina_c55

Thanks I do not mind a authentic card at all if it looks good then that is more than fine by me.

Post # 9

Last edited by Zone91; 05-17-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Best Regards,
Joe

Hi Joe
You remind me of when I introduced myself to Scott Brockelman for the first 10 yrs I knew him. He used to laugh and say "yeah, I know who you are " ......It is a polite habit to have.

At any rate I absolutely agree with you. I just have a small pet peeve when folks quote numbers of copies when there are usually more than that. Many times I see the number of "approximately 50" when referring to T206 Wagners. Most in the hobby think the number is closer to 100, as do I. Regardless if it is 50 or 100....or 150 Wagners, the demand is off the charts. Same thing for a '52 Mantle. I bet there are thousands of them....but there are millions of folks that want one. Same with the Ruth rookie. Even if there are 300, the demand is off the charts and ramping up all of the time. No worries on any of these cards devaluing. I don't think it will happen in our lifetimes unless there is some extraordinary economic or world tragedy. Then it probably wouldn't matter anyway. Now, if there is a sudden spike in type card collecting then I will be happier. Otherwise I will continue to have some rare cards that don't hold a candle to many other more common ones, in value. (which is ok by me as I love what I collect)
Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Leon

Well said Leon!!

Post # 10
Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 PM

Default Ruth Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_vezina_c55 View Post
I know how much Joe T asked for the card but i will let him give his price here on the board if the card is still avalaible.
The AUTH card have a verry beautifull eyes appeal in my memories
Sorry Nelson.......sold it last week! The Ruth rookie card is absolutely on fire!!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:08 PM

Default Ruth Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hi Joe
You remind me of when I introduced myself to Scott Brockelman for the first 10 yrs I knew him. He used to laugh and say "yeah, I know who you are " ......It is a polite habit to have.

At any rate I absolutely agree with you. I just have a small pet peeve when folks quote numbers of copies when there are usually more than that. Many times I see the number of "approximately 50" when referring to T206 Wagners. Most in the hobby think the number is closer to 100, as do I. Regardless if it is 50 or 100....or 150 Wagners, the demand is off the charts. Same thing for a '52 Mantle. I bet there are thousands of them....but there are millions of folks that want one. Same with the Ruth rookie. Even if there are 300, the demand is off the charts and ramping up all of the time. No worries on any of these cards devaluing. I don't think it will happen in our lifetimes unless there is some extraordinary economic or world tragedy. Then it probably wouldn't matter anyway. Now, if there is a sudden spike in type card collecting then I will be happier. Otherwise I will continue to have some rare cards that don't hold a candle to many other more common ones, in value. (which is ok by me as I love what I collect)
Leon...LOL!!!! P.S. - I can promise you that 99% of the hobby's vintage card collections have to bow to your extraordinary card gathering!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 PM

Default Ruth Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post

Quan...LOL! First & foremost Quan, I only own ONE Ruth rookie. I had two but sold the higher graded one last year. Secondly, your $15 to $20K range for a decent looking "1" is WAY OFF BASE. Once again, last year SCP sold a creased blank back PSA 1 fro $31K, Goodwin sold an "Authentic" that was missing serious card stock for $10K, and a Famous & Barr SGC 10 with TWO pinholes & a horizontal crease through the center of the card is approaching $35K in REA (with that same card previously selling for $40K to $45K in prior auctions!).

If you can get decent looking "1's" to "1.5's" for $15K to $20K I will buy hoards of them tomorrow!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Todd Schultz

There's a real nice Ruth m101-4 Sporting News PSA 1 in the upcoming Legendary auction. Some paper loss and discoloration on the back explains the grade, but a beautiful card nonetheless.

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:31 PM
pete ullman

That ones a beauty todd...back damage doesnt bother me at all...30-40k!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-17-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:39 PM
nels0n aud.et

This ruth is. A beauty
Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Matt

Great-- so much for my new target flying under the radar. A PM would have sufficed
Guess the dream will be deferred for a bit longer.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-17-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:

If you can get decent looking "1's" to "1.5's" for $15K to $20K I will buy hoards of them tomorrow!
i will defer to joe t. here then as i know he keeps track of this particular card. make me wish i'd held on to my 1.5. strange how 4-5 years ago the e90-1 jax and the M ruth was the same value...since then one has taken a nose dive while the other has 4x.

edit: that 1 is a beauty, i would give up all the gold for that one. mattyc got ur pm, i will contact the member that i sold my 1.5 to...see if he wants to 3x his money real fast .

Last edited by chaddurbin; 05-17-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 PM

I think the Ruth card is pretty bland and it depicts him as a member of the Red Sox. Don't forget that the 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan card has mega potential too. It could be argued that he has more of a global appeal than Ruth. I would consign the cards, buy the Ruth outright and have some more $$$ to spend.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Can you counter offer at this juncture? I think I would either pull the Koufax or see if the guy will kick in a couple of cards with the Ruth.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Don't forget that the 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan card has mega potential too.
I dunno. I think at some point the Jordan Fleer card is going to collapse (or at least decline) in value because of how many of them are out there. PSA alone is showing over 13,000 on the population report and 160 PSA "10" cards. There are also undoubtedly lots of Fleer Jordan cards that have yet to be graded, considering it is only a 25-year-old card.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:11 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

any decision on your trade?

Old 05-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Default Trade

Trade value is about even with what you are giving up
for the ruth rookie. The question is is it more fun to own all your cards or to own just one card the ruth rookie?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:01 PM

Are you leaning towards making the trade or not?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 AM
Bill Gregory

I'm curious to see if he pulled the trigger.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Matt

Seeing and considering all the different viewpoints has been great. I've developed a plan accordingly, and will report back soon to share how it went.