NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2023, 04:16 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Selling 80% of your collection for ‘52 Mantle - would you?

I am toying with an idea of liquidating a large % of my collection to try and build enough of a kitty to buy my first ‘52 Mantle.

Even with that, the best I can probably afford would be a reasonably decent eye appeal 1.5….

Have other Net54ers ever done anything like this? Happy you did? Or filled with post transaction regret??

I’d love to hear your stories and/or your advice… sell most of your PC to add the hobby’s most iconic card?

Thx all

Jeff
Old 03-24-2023, 04:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nope.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-24-2023, 04:37 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I have sold my entire collection of good but assorted non focused cards. It was a diverse collection of vintage cards from CJ cards, to T206, t205, m101-4/5 , Felix Mendelssohn etc for 1 card.
I was tired of missing out on some of the rarer or higher bucket list cards I wanted because it was all tied up in my total collection. And I could not raise funds to get the dream cards/bucket list I wanted.
Made the choice and sold, traded etc and worked my way up to purchasing my Rookie Ruth. Then had only 1 and since then slowly building up my collection with more focused to the cards I really wanted. Takes lonelier but I find this approach is perfect for me.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-24-2023, 04:42 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Nope.
I echo this succinct response. Although I would enjoy looking at a ‘52 Topps Mantle, I’d miss looking at all the cards that I sold to obtain it way more than the enjoyment.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:48 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I could sell 200% of my collection, it would not even buy the holder.

Gotta pass.

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:53 PM
Ken McMillan

Absolutely not
Old 03-24-2023, 04:53 PM
Sean Costello

Yes, I've done this. I had a 522 set of T206. I sold all of my binder cards (about 450 cards) and a Cobb Red/ Lenox SGC 2. I only kept my back runs, My Cub HOFs, and a few of the biggest stars in the set. I bought a Cobb/ Cobb back. I never tried to rebuild the set, either. I just went off and collected other cards that I liked. I have fewer than 200 cards today, but I much prefer the ones that I still have.

Edited to add: To be clear, the cards that I sold only covered 1/3 of the cost of the Cobb. The rest came from savings and a 401K loan.

Last edited by Sean; 03-24-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:54 PM
St@n Go.len

I would in a heartbeat. I've toyed with the idea but I have a massive room of crap. I would need some baller to just come over and clear out 50k worth. Otherwise its a long and tedious process for me.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2023, 04:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Never.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:57 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I prefer one great card to a lot of good cards.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

If you are asking as a collector, which I assume, no, I think you will regret it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A collection is comprised of a group of things, so if you dump it all for a single card, then you would no longer be a collector, but a 'specificor.' A valuable card is great, but at what (literal and figurative) cost?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:27 PM

I would not. I prefer a quantity of cards rather than one expensive card.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:29 PM
Ben North

This is something I have also put some serious thought into.

I was thinking of selling and trading the majority of my cards to end up with 3 big cards. For me it would be a T206 Red Cobb with an Old Mill back, 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle, and 1952 Eddie Mathews.

I have had the Cobb and Mathews before. The Cobb had a Piedmont back so didn't mind selling it. The Eddie Mathews is one of the very few cards I wish I wouldn't have got rid of.

So yes I would do it.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

No 1.5’s are still too inflated due to the Covid Boom. Let it cool for a while and reconsider. In the meantime save up so you don’t have to sell a large part of your collection. Do not get sidetracked buying stuff in the meantime, keep your money in your pocket and keep saving.

That’s the best piece of advice I can give on this particular question.

Last edited by Johnny630; 03-24-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:36 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Nope.
I second that emotion...
Old 03-24-2023, 05:40 PM
Brian Schwertfeger

Selling 80% assumes you keep a decent chunk of your favorite cards and still get your dream card.

Do it!

You get your dream card and can chase other smaller ones you've sold from there.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:57 PM
Bruce Mattioli

No I would not. I like what I have and do not sell..
Old 03-24-2023, 06:01 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwertfeger1007 View Post
Selling 80% assumes you keep a decent chunk of your favorite cards and still get your dream card.

Do it!

You get your dream card and can chase other smaller ones you've sold from there.
Unless you have to sell the top 80% and not the bottom 80%.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-24-2023, 06:02 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

How attached are you to the 80% that you would have to sell?

Is it just random stuff accumulated over the years that you mostly ignore anyway?

Personally, I rarely pick up stuff on a whim, so everything has an important and cherished place in my collection. And everything else is already for sale.

Since the pieces in my collection are integral to my collection and near and dear to my heart, I would be loath to part with them.

Add to it the fact that while I appreciate the 311 Mantle (DP) as a nice piece, it just doesn't get me excited like it seems to do for others. Nothing against the card itself, but for the prices they command, both in the absolute, and relative to other collectibles in the hobby, it's just not for me.

So there's really no way on God's green earth that I would consider doing it.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-24-2023, 06:08 PM

If you want the Mantle badly and this is the only way to get it, then go for it.

As an aside, I wonder how many people on this thread that say no, also said no on Don’s thread where he wanted feedback on purchasing the m101-4 Wagner (and alternatively, how many yes and yes)

Get the Mantle and enjoy owning one of the hobby’s most iconic cards.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 03-24-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:12 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Nope - but its worth noting that everything I collect is with a purpose. I have no superfluous cards that dont fit my collecting goals, so getting rid of any part of my collection is a significant step backwards to my overall goals and no single card is worth the sacrifice.

I can see the mindset of owning a major card knowing that its temporary, I'd eventually flip it and start anew at a later day (with hopefully more money).

There are many amazing cards to own which arent huge dollars. I'd rather spread my limited funds across a number of cards than only ever only own 1 or a few cards that consumed my ability to collect.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:29 PM
mͺttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I would consider doing something like that for the right card. For me that would not be a '52 Mantle, but if it will make you happy, that's main thing. I would probably also consider the replaceability of the cards you would have to get rid of, if you might ever want to obtain them again.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 03-24-2023, 06:37 PM

Although you may find a nice eye appeal for the grade 1.5, it is still only a 1.5.

How much do you like looking at nice cards (6-8 grades)? How much do you enjoy looking at 1.5's?

And how much enjoyment would you get from the 1.5 considering there are a lot out there of lower grade. How much enjoyment would you get from a different card knowing it is truly rare.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:42 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

While I like it quite a bit, I don't like it enough to gut my collection to obtain one. And, honestly, I would rather have a '51 Bowman Mick. I have always liked that card, but everyone is different.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:25 PM

If I had a lot of cards that I didn’t pull out and look at often, I would definitely sell the bulk of my collection to buy one of the iconic cards of all time.

I would much rather have a small collection of maybe my fifty favorite cards than a bunch of stuff that sits in drawers.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 03-24-2023, 07:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
Although you may find a nice eye appeal for the grade 1.5, it is still only a 1.5.

How much do you like looking at nice cards (6-8 grades)? How much do you enjoy looking at 1.5's?

And how much enjoyment would you get from the 1.5 considering there are a lot out there of lower grade. How much enjoyment would you get from a different card knowing it is truly rare.
Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about the numbers on slabs; I am just interested in the cards in the slabs.

I want to supplement my answer: i considered the OP's exact scenario several years ago and decided that I get more enjoyment from my Festival of Bric-a-Brac than I would from a Mantle sitting in my safe deposit box. Aa an investor, I would prefer the Mantle.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-24-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:33 PM
Rob

Like Don's thread, I don't have enough information to advise you, and lacking information, I would say for you, no.

I would not sell 80% of what I have put together since the mid 1970's to buy a 1952 Topps Mantle in SGC 1.5.

Would I sell $20,000 worth of cards to buy a 52T Mantle? yes.

I thought Don meant he was meeting up at a Denny's parking lot with a duffle bag of cash to exchange with a craigs-lister for a T206 Demmitt with a Polar Bear back. I didn't know he was buying a Sporting News Wagner from an online retail Baseball Card dealer like 707 or whatever it was.

Especially if you are sort of new, say a 5 year old collection, feel free to start over. I'm too old to start over.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:35 PM

That's the great thing about this hobby - collect what you like. Everybody doesn't have to collect the same things. I suppose some folks don't care about the grade on the slab. A lot of folks do. Not always, but the lower grade stuff tends to not look as nice as the higher grade stuff.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:39 PM
Robert J. Miller

Selling every sport card and collectible of mine would not be close enough to buy a 52 Mantle.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:45 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default Not the question you asked

But thinking about it from the flip side, if I had a 311 Mantle (any condition), would I sell it right now?

And for me, the answer is definitely yes. And I would use the proceeds to buy lots of other stuff that I really want instead.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-24-2023, 07:47 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

So many thoughtful and thought provoking feedback - thx to all!

Just to add some context, if the math works out, I would be keeping my top cards (Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, Cobb, etc) but would have to sell everything else.

As one collector friend mentioned to me, I could them build the collection back up over the next 10 years.

Still quite undecided but I’ve never seriously even considered - until now… maybe!

Jeff
Old 03-24-2023, 08:00 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
So many thoughtful and thought provoking feedback - thx to all!

Just to add some context, if the math works out, I would be keeping my top cards (Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, Cobb, etc) but would have to sell everything else.

As one collector friend mentioned to me, I could them build the collection back up over the next 10 years.

Still quite undecided but I’ve never seriously even considered - until now… maybe!

Jeff
I like the idea. Less is more sometimes.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:05 PM
Chris

I pretty much only collect Mantle and Judge cards. Ten years ago, when I had roughly fifty Mickey Mantle cards, I tried to liquidate my collection to buy a 52 Topps. Couldn’t get a high enough offer for the cards to justify parting with them at that time. So, I just went ahead and bought two 52 Mantle cards (later sold one to buy a house). At that time in collecting, none of my cards had a ton of sentimental meaning and none were particularly rare, so it made sense to try to get one meaningful card.

In retrospect, I do really wish I’d gone ahead and parted with the cards then and just stocked up on 52 Mantles as I think I would have enjoyed having 5 or 6 of them over a bunch of lower value cards. Such is life.

Do what makes you happy. But think hard about whether that is one or many cards.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:17 PM
Fred

Yes, I am clueless... what's the cost for a Mantle as described in the original post?
Old 03-24-2023, 08:17 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

No brainer if you get to keep your top 20% cards, that's a prudent move.

It's when you have to sell your precious to get that card that you have to have a long conversation with yourself. Is there a card like that for me?

That'd be the 1914 Texas Tommy Joe Jackson.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-24-2023, 09:28 PM
Pete Sycks

I'd rather have a Luka orange green blue refractor jersey patch shoelace card numbered to 50.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-24-2023, 09:51 PM

Yes
Old 03-24-2023, 10:08 PM
Frank Wakefield

Hell no.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

To frame it another way. If you're a fan of the game, depending on where you cut off on the modern side, there are probably 20-25 indispensable players IMO. If I were in your position, I'd much rather have all or most of the 20-25 than have 5 of them plus the 311. It's a great card but I would not want it to the exclusion of the other all time greats. Now if the sole purpose is to "invest," the analysis may be different.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-24-2023 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:32 PM
Mike Eisenbath

I probably could sell ...slowly...80 percent of my collection and buy a 52 Mantle. But I don't know what grade. While I know what Mantles sell for (it's all we hear about), I couldn't tell you what I'd get for my cards. I likely could name my most valuable 50 or so but don't have a clear idea what they would be worth.

That's because I never could sell them. I got them as a kid or over time because I was building toward collection goals. They mean something to me.

It would be nice to have that Mantle. And a Wagner. And Ruth rookie. But if I end up with only 406 of the 52 set and 520 of The Monster while also taking the family on vacations and helping pay for my grandkids' sports teams, that will be a fine way to remember my time in the hobby.

That said... I think about the option every once in a while. Then I realize I'd be pursuing someone else's collecting goal, not mine.

Good luck in the decision.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2023, 10:46 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I would probably do it if it was the only reasonable way I could attain a grail card. Let's say your current collection is 20 great HOF cards in low-to-mid grade that sell for about $2500/ea. You can hold on to 4 of your favorites and liquidate or trade the others for $40,000 in spending cash. You then scour the internet for the best deal you can find on the 1952 Mantle. As time passes, you can set aside funds and buy back the cards you let go as you save up, one by one.

By contrast, you keep holding your 20 cards and pass on the Mantle. You start setting aside some money and are very disciplined, not spending any of your savings in the hopes of acquiring the Mantle down the road. Not knowing your specific financial situation, let's assume it would take you a few years or longer to save up $40K in discretionary funds to make the purchase. Unfortunately, there is the very real possibility that the Mantle will continue to appreciate, leaving you in a race against the market to see if you can ever catch up and acquire the dream card.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:15 AM
octavio ranzola

Nope
Old 03-25-2023, 01:29 AM

Every time I’ve thought about it,
I always said to myself na, I would rather have a Cobb or Ruth,
Or Mathewson young Johnson, or a rare back.
But if your selling mostly 1950s cards and up.
I would say go for it.
It would probably make sense to me to sell or trade off my 1950s and up, and buy more of the older cards I like, and perhaps a 52 mantle, but I would probably be happier with more older rarer stuff and no mantle

Last edited by MR RAREBACK; 03-25-2023 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:17 AM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
I am toying with an idea of liquidating a large % of my collection to try and build enough of a kitty to buy my first ‘52 Mantle.

Even with that, the best I can probably afford would be a reasonably decent eye appeal 1.5….

Have other Net54ers ever done anything like this? Happy you did?
Hi Jeff, I did something very similar a couple years ago. Sold maybe 30-40% of my collection to pick up the best low grade 52T #311 that I could find. The nice thing about that is that it also allowed me to focus my collection a bit more. The cards I sold I haven't missed and since then I've just been picking up cards that fit in my collection more. I am happy that I did it!

Old 03-25-2023, 04:16 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by babraham View Post
Hi Jeff, I did something very similar a couple years ago. Sold maybe 30-40% of my collection to pick up the best low grade 52T #311 that I could find. The nice thing about that is that it also allowed me to focus my collection a bit more. The cards I sold I haven't missed and since then I've just been picking up cards that fit in my collection more. I am happy that I did it!

Wow! Showing me that a 1.5 can look as great as yours does make this decision a wee bit more likely!
Old 03-25-2023, 04:39 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

I did a trade at the National in AC for a 52 Mantle PSA 2. I traded 13 cards, mostly vintage, for the Mantle.

I ended up selling the card a couple months later as I picked up 52 Mantle PSA 2.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2023, 06:09 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Never.
+1000 on that. It isn't even a good looking card. It and the 53 look like childish cartoons. And it's just one card. Frankly, for the life of me, I do not, cannot and will not EVER understand why it's so effing valuable. I CAN understand why a Honus Wagner t206 is.

But there I go again, ranting and raving over something that isn't even rational.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 03-25-2023, 06:13 AM
Tom Re.bert

If you happen to own a little farm ground around Dubuque Iowa sell say 10 acres = $306,000

Farm ground sold around Dubuque 59.32 A $30,600/ A= 1 Million eight (average farm land values in Iowa range from $12,000 Acre to the sky's the limit? )

**********in retrospect definitely go for the Mantle if you can--MOO******

Last edited by Directly; 03-25-2023 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:53 AM
Donny Muth

Default I don't think I would do it

While the idea of liquidating a bunch of cards to get a really big pickup, like the '52T Mantle, or any other big card may be tempting... I don't think I could do it.

I've spent 38 years working very slowly on the T206 set and many 1950s-1970s sets, plus adding to my HOF collection. Over 95% of my collection is raw/ungraded cards too just because I prefer them that way. So selling them may require getting a bunch graded to help maximize the return... so that would take time and upfront $.

There are so many great players. I would like to have cards of all of those great players, versus one (or even a few) high valued cards of a much fewer number of players.

Yes most of those other cards could be replaced over time. Maybe in collection 2.0 I could re-focus and target higher eye appeal cards or whatever. It would take a long time though... probably not 38 years... but several years at least. And some of the cards, while not rare are irreplaceable because they are tied to the memories of purchasing them (my first Mantle - a '65T bought back in the last 1980s) or getting them autographed in person (Willie Mays '69T, Richie Ashburn '52T, etc.).

Good luck on it if you decide to do it though!

Last edited by donmuth; 03-25-2023 at 06:54 AM.