NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Default T207 Gowdy "No Emblem On Sleeve" variations

Posted By: Scott Bob 

WOW! New variations discovery are endless. This Gowdy might not worth or scarce as T207 Lewis variations but it is still a new discovery. Does anyone has this Gowdy variations in your T207 collection? I doubt this Gowdy on ebay is the only one known.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=5106756906

Old 07-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: david

this seems to be more of a printing freak then a true variation. the card appears to be missing one or two colors not the emblem

Old 07-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Not sure what the seller is looking at, but I see an amblem on both Gowdy cards. If look at the Lewis card, the emblem is clearly missing. Just looks like the Gowdy is missing some inking on emblem and a lot wishful thinking on the part of the seller.

Jay

Old 07-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

Missing ink, or the red could just be faded away. Afterall, it is only SGC 1.5 Fair, so it does have some wear!

Old 07-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Seller hype is great, isn't it? I guess most of us indulge every so often. This one seems a big stretch. The emblem is there, it's just not clearly printed. I'm skeptical. Anybody know the seller?

Tim

Old 07-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tbob

Reminiscent of the Stovall T207 in which the color blue was no misaligned that the StL on his unie floated right out of the picture. This is depicted in Lipset's book and is correctly termed a freak printing not a variation.
Speaking of T207 freaks, when will Bob remove the Carrigan/Wagner wrongback as a separate card listing in SCD? There are several other pairs of wrong backs floating around and this should not be listed and given special notice.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Administrator

I think the emblem is still there but the red ink is missing. However, it is funny that the red in "BOSTON" still fully there.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

My first impression is that this was indeed a true variation but now I'm thinking somthing is fishy.

Look at the little pictures the seller supplied of the two emblems - of course they are VERY small - but forget the emblem and look at the surrounding area. In the picture of the "regular" card the creases in the unform are dark, clear and well defined. In the "no emblem" version those creases in the uniform, which should look the same, are light, very blurry and poorly defined. Possibly because that area of the card was cleaned or worked on?

Also, SGC graded the card, which they should have, but didn't make note of the variation in their label. Wouldn't a variation like this be worthy of noting on the label?

Old 07-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Administrator

I guess the look of "light, very blurry and poorly defined" might due to a low resolution scan and scanning with a thick SGC holder. In my opinion, it would be virtually impossible to doctor a T207 (due to its glossy surface) and without leaving any trace. Needless to say, if such Gowdy has been doctored, there's no way it can pass those tough SGC grader. Also, people due with SGC before know that they don't fool around their labelling system as PSA or GAI. They don't do special variation label unless such variation is being mentioned on the SCD bible price guide.

Old 07-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Scott Bob,

I'm in the graphic arts field and no, scanning low resolution doesn't remove details of an image in the manner that we are seeing certainly not to that extant. Also, I've scanned several hundred cards, low and high resolution, in SGC, GAI and PSA holders and being in the holder doesn't produce those types of results.

Old 07-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

SGC will put various identifying labels in their holders. I believe I have several. I know they look in the SCD (big book) but they also use common sense too and will deviate when it makes sense.... regards

Old 07-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

And it is being shilled!

Old 07-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

And the seller must read this board! The shilling ID just mysteriously retracted his bids. Maybe he needed money for all of that shiny junk he usually buys based on his feedback.

Old 07-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Mr. McKee, I see where you are bidding on this card. This card must be very special to you. I believe indeed it is.

Old 07-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge

I guess someone is trying to interference other bidders and win the card himself in lower price.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Looks like the seller ended the auction since it wasn't getting the action he expected. Looks like he will have to set up at a show and hope to find a sucker there.

Jay