NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Sandy Schwartz

Mine was George Brett's pine tar game in '83. Sat 4th row behind Royals dugout. Amazing what unfolded that day. Memories:
- Gossage was throwing absolute beebies, only Brett could get around on smoke like that
- Fans really didn't have any idea what Brett was called out for. We knew it had something to do with the bat, fans were clueless about the pine tar rule prior to that day.
- When we left the stadium, we knew it was an interesting occurrence, but had no idea it would capture such attention for such a long time.

Fast forward to late 1984. I'm in a book store and I see a book called "Pine Tarred and Feathered", covering the 1983 season. I'm flipping thru the book, looking at pictures, and see photos to the pine tar game. After a minute or two, I think "Hey, I was at that game!". Lo and behold, there I am in 2 photos in the book in the background as Brett is storming out of the dugout. Then I look at the cover of the book ... and yes, there's me, front and center watching Brett run out of the dugout. My 2 minutes of fame! Needless to say, I bought the book and my kids have gotten a big kick out of it.

As with others on this thread, I was also at Seaver's 300th at Yankee Stadium, watching his White Sox beat the Yankees. Seaver was my childhood hero, so it was an amazing game to attend. Also, was the last game I ever went to with my folks.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Game 5 of the 1964 World Series

Yankees vs. Cardinals. Monday, October 12. I was 13 years old. My uncle had two tickets, but was called in to a business meeting at the last minute and couldn't go to the game. He dropped me and my 10 year old cousin (his son) off at the gate and picked us up after the game. Not many parents would be comfortable with that arrangement these days!

Saw Tom Tresh tie the game at 2 - 2 in the bottom of the ninth with a home run off Bob Gibson only to have Tim McCarver hit a home run in the top of the tenth to win it.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Having worked on major league baseball for 7 years I have seen all star games and playoff games. (Unfortunatly no world series as of yet) My most memorable game was the day I spent with Pete Rose being his shadow at Wrigley Field the weekend he tied Cobbs record. There were 2 of us assigned to be Pete's shadow because of death threats and other issues that came up. We were with Pete wherever he went including on the field. We were walking back from his press conference held under the right field stands when a 2 hopper came right at us and I grabbed it with my bare hand. Pete looked at me and said it was a nice catch but he had no clue my hand was now on fire!! When he tied Cobb's record I was in the dugout with the whole team and watched this record tying event with the Reds.

The interesting thing is a few months ago I found a Youtube video that show me in the dugout as Pete Rose was running out to the field on this day. You cant see my face all that well but it is definitly me standing there against the water cooler!! when I get home tonight I will link the video as the computers at work have blocked youtube.

I have seen at least 2 thousand games but that one was one of the best!!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

World Series game, late '70s. Being at the game was cool enough, but what made it great was that we sat behind a guy who kept trying to negotiate with the vendors walking the aisles.

"$4 for popcorn? I'll give you a dollar."

"I can't pay $6 for a beer. How about a discount ... $3?"
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
David M.

The most memorable game I actually attended was August 17, 1980. Went to the game where George Brett went 4 for 4 at the plate and moved his season batting average to .401. Brett had been on an incredible tear and everyone wanted to see him go for the elusive .400. We were only able to buy standing room only tickets, which meant we actually stood up the whole game. But the crowd was really electric and it was great to cheer on Brett and be there for the moment.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Dan Marke1

Mine would have to be Sept. 8, 1993 in the Astrodome where Darryl Kile no-hit the Mets.

Honorable mention would be my first game ever which was July 5, 1967 at Forbes Field where the Pirates beat the Reds 6-1. The highlight of that game was rightfielder Roberto Clemente throwing out a runner, Lee May, coming from third to home on a bloop single. In May's defense, the ball appeared to be catchable so he had to hold up at third until it hit the ground. Still an unbelievable play and it wasn't even that close as Clemente's throw was dead-on perfect to Jerry May.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default GasHouseGang

1980 was an exciting season, as I am a Phillies fan, it was great to finally see the Phillies win their first World Series
after their 100 year franchise. Sorry to recall this if you are a Royals fan.

And, it was exciting to follow George Brett flirting with a .400 BA. I still remember what he modestly said to the press
when asked how he just missed the .400......."I didn't have enough Walks".
Brett had only 58 BB's in 1980.

Indeed, the key to batting .400 (for the past 70 years) is to accrue a good amount of Walks....as it reduces your of-
ficial AB's.

When Ted Williams batted .406 in 1941, his numbers were very similar to Brett's; however, Williams Walked 145 times.

TED Z
Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 PM

I don't remember the specific games as they were all regular season or exhibitions, but I do recall seeing the players.

Lotte Orions vs SF Giants this was an exhibition game between the 1971 Japanese Pacific League Champions vs the SF Giants. The Japanese team came to train with the Giants in Casa Grande and they did an friendly game at Candlestick. It was memorable because this was the only time I saw Wille Mays play in person. Willie McCovey also played a few innings and a couple of Japanese hall of famers as well and George Altman who was a big american star in Japan at the time.

Pittsburgh Pirates vs SF Giants - I'm thinking this was 1972? Memorable because I saw Roberto Clemente play in person (his last year) and ofcoruse Pops Stargell. I recall Clemente made a rocket throw to home to prevent a runner from scoring.

Oakland A's vs Texas Rangers 1974. I recall it was Glenn Abbot vs Jackie Brown...Billy Martin had the Rangers competitive with Jim Bibby and Ferguson Jenkins that year. I saw Rudi, Jackson, Bando, Green, Tenance...the 2nd year of their 3 straight world series champions. I think Reggie hit a double and the A's won ofcourse.

Giants vs Dodgers 1978 ... I sat in the bleachers in the upperdeck in an August day game and it was still freezing cold! I don't recall the score, but I remember Ron Cey killing my Giants again!

Ricky Y
Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
JeR@Me

Default What was the most Memorable Game You have seen in person?

- Music City Miracle... This playoff game was by far the most memorable game I have ever seen and it was in Nashville!

-The second most memorable game for me was seeing Michael Jordan playing for the B-Ham Barons against the Nashville Xpress in 93-94ish... I had front row seats in Right field and a Hitachi 8mm in hand, and recorded the whole game as I sat and watched him play right field, bat, etc... (You gotta remember, at the time, he had just won 3 straight rings and was a living legend, so the ball park at Greer Stadium was sold out and rocking)

- My third most memorable game was probably an assortment of games I saw as a kid... The Big Red Machine in the mid to late 70's w/ Charlie Hustle, George Foster, and the HOF gang as well as the Atlanta Braves w/ Dale Murphy,Bob Horner, and Niekro... (I lived 3 hours between both cities, so it was an annual trip... Good memories - Great Thread!)
Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Paul

Mine was in September 1987, Cardinals at Mets. 3rd game of the series & the Mets were going for the sweep, & a 1/2 game lead in the division. However, Terry Pendelton drove a Roger McDowell sinker over the center field wall late in the game, & the Cardinals went on to win. It killed the Mets momentum, & they never recovered. I have never forgiven Pendelton for that. It was hard to be mad at McDowell. It was a nasty sinker that Pendelton seemed to golf off his shoe tops.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 AM
paulstratton

Default memorable games

Game 5 of the 1984 WS for me, when Gibby went deep off of Gossage the place went berserk. I ran out on the field after the game and snagged a piece of sod, which I then planted in my backyard the next day. My lifespan was nearly as short as that piece of grass, my pops was pissed about me running out on the field for at least a month.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 PM

I went to every game in the 1982 World Series, my father worked for the Cardinals back then and it was a treat for me growing up. The best game I remember and I was at was when Willie Mcgee hit a 3 run shot in Game 3....What a series and what a game!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Jeff

Default 1995 WS Game 6, ATL 1 CLEVE 0

Tom Glavine 8 innings of one hit ball, one single mistake by Jim Poole to Dave Justice brought Atlanta the championship.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM
D.B. Cooper

I was there to see Greg Maddux's 300th win. Also Barry's juiced 71st dong back in 2001. I also saw Johnny LeMaster get more than one hit in a game. But I have a feeling that nothing will ever top this one I attended back in 1982....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZCCAqoSwY

Last edited by Anthony S.; 07-14-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Ron Skaggs

Default Nolan Ryans 6th no hitter

For me was Nolan Ryans 6th No hitter. I had season tickets at the time. A Die Hard A's fan but also a die hard Nolan Ryan Fan. Thinking wow this 43 yr old man just blanked the league leading A's. Thinking I witnessed history. That this would never happen again. I waited over 2 hrs at the Hyatt where the rangers were staying and he was gracious enough to sign the ticket stub along with the Nolan Ryan hat I had on.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:35 PM
John Cook

Default Bucky Dent

October 2, 1978, Fenway Park.

9 years old

Bucky Dent

Took me 26 years to recover.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Jeff Obermeyer

Default 1995 Playoffs

I got laid off on a Thursday in October, 1995. The good news is I had already purchased my Seattle Mariners playoff package, with Game 3 scheduled for Friday!

Game 5, 1995, Divisional Series, Mariners vs. Yankees. As a Mariners fan, it was about as good as it gets. Randy Johnson comes out of the bullpen late in the game (I think the 9th) after pitching in Game 3 two days earlier. Cora's bunt single... Griffey's single up the middle... and Edgar's double down the left field line put the Mariners in the ALCS. Bedlam ensued. It was awesome.

Jeff

Last edited by jobermeyer2; 07-14-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Correcting stupid factual error...
Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 PM

growing-up in NY, i've been to a ton of Yankees & Mets games...one of the best i've seen in person, was Robin Ventura's "Grand Slam Single" in the 1999 NLCS...it was raining, and the game seemed to have lasted forever!

The Mets tied the score 3–3 with a bases-loaded walk with one out in the 15th, bringing up Ventura, he came thru with the first walk-off grand slam—and the first grand slam in extra innings—in postseason history, clearing the center-right field wall and forcing Game 6, but is officially credited with only a 1-run single after being mobbed by teammates upon passing first base.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8cc186caadb2058271ec6f182f168d18.jpg (42.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM

That's an easy one.

1961, Los Angeles Wrigley Field, Maris hits his 50th. home run.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Default Most Memorable Game

It was the summer of 1956 in old Crosley Field.After the Little League season was over,we all got on a bus and made the trip to Cincinnati to see a doubleheader between the Red Legs and the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Unfortunately,the Dodgers won both games,but the real highlight was seeing big Klu hit a grandslam into the Sun Deck in right field.I have always felt this 1956 Reds team was the first Big Red Machine.They hit more home runs in fewer games than any year of the 1970's BRM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Growing up in the DC area, didn't have a chance to attend meaningful regular games. Most memorable for me would be the 1962 and 1969 All Star games - back when the All Star game seemed to matter.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Fred

I can't remember all of the games I've been to. Here are a few:

Reuschel brothers combined on a shut out against the Dodgers at Wrigley Field. I think it was 1975 or 1976.

I saw a skinny/scrawny Barry Bonds play many games at ASU (1980, 1981 or it could have been 1982). Don Wakamatsu (Mariners Mgr) was on the team with Odibe McDowell (cool name, made it to the bigs with the Rangers I think).

Game 4 of the 1998 WS. Pads lost to the Yanks in 4 straight. Kind of a bummer to see the Yanks piling up in celebration on the Padres infield at the end of the game.

Closing Day at Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego)

Opening Day at Petco Park (San Diego) - David Wells started the game. Trevor Hoffman came in, blew the save but the Padres came back and won. I'll remember it because all of the fans were cheering wildly when Trevor came in. "Trevor, Trevor, Trevor". When the inning was over you could hear people screaming "Trevor, Trevor - YOU SUCK!". Kind of sad to see it but at least the Pads came back to win the game. Trevor is a great player and a ROLE MODEL. He's actually someone you'd like your kid to emulate.

Lots more playoff games and other neat games where cool plays took place... Soooooo many games.... Most I ever made was about 70+ home games (one season) for the Padres back in about 1977 or so.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Mark

Milt Pappas no hitter at Wrigley Field, 9-2-1972