NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2023, 05:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default The trend in Wagner cards

As we've discussed Wagner cards already were soaring to unheard of levels, but even in that context the Memory Lane sale of a PSA 3 Blue M116 for over 50K nevertheless seems astonishing. Do people think it was a one off fluke, or is this sort of pricing sustainable? Part of my question is admittedly driven by self interest as I have each of his M116s in 5 and while I've always thought of them as untouchable, at those prices I'd have to seriously rethink it.

Thoughts?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:52 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

You could always post them on eBay at those absurd museum prices you love to hate and see if you get any bites.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-10-2023, 05:55 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As we've discussed Wagner cards already were soaring to unheard of levels, but even in that context the Memory Lane sale of a PSA 3 Blue M116 for over 50K nevertheless seems astonishing. Do people think it was a one off fluke, or is this sort of pricing sustainable? Part of my question is admittedly driven by self interest as I have each of his M116s in 5 and while I've always thought of them as untouchable, at those prices I'd have to seriously rethink it.

Thoughts?
Feels like the portrait Wagner cards are drafting off of his T206. While there has always been demand and always will be demand for his cards, the uptick seems like it cannot be sustained. Then again I felt the same way about the 52T Mantle as it started to reach new highs.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Feels like the portrait Wagner cards are drafting off of his T206. While there has always been demand and always will be demand for his cards, the uptick seems like it cannot be sustained. Then again I felt the same way about the 52T Mantle as it started to reach new highs.
Then again, if you had called BS on the Jordan rookie prices two years ago, you would have been absolutely right. Tough to know. But Wagner selling for 20x Johnson or more just seems crazy to me.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:09 PM
Chase

Quote:
Then again, if you had called BS on the Jordan rookie prices two years ago, you would have been absolutely right. Tough to know. But Wagner selling for 20x Johnson or more just seems crazy to me.
Whenever I see a huge bump in price like we are seeing on the Wagners and as you point out the 86 Jordan (however in that case it was 100% manipulation), I feel it is a temporary state but prices have stuck for the 52T Mantle. I think the 33 Ruth also underwent a similar surge in price and believe those have held up too.

All I know is that I would not be a buyer at this point on the Wagners because I can't be. If I held any I would certainly be tempted to sell. If you do not need the money I would not consider selling. If they drop back down to 2020 levels it is a paper "loss". Sure ya might kick yourself for not getting out but presumably they are in your collection because you like them regardless of value.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:15 PM
James M

If you feel the prices are overheated, you can sell the card now. If you really miss it, you can always buy it back. That is tougher to say on cards that are super rare and may not pop up for years, but not for cards that sell more frequently.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:20 PM

There are a total of 62 M116 Blue Wagners on the combined PSA/SGC population report. That really is not a huge number, especially considering how many are in collections and not available for sale. By contrast, there are over 2,500, 1952 Topps Mantles on the combined PSA/SGC population report; and I am sure there are many more 52 Topps Mantles than blue M116 Wagners out there not reflected on the pop reports. It seems there are 2-6, 1952 Mantles in every auction.

According to VCP, the average price for a PSA 3, 1952 Topps Mantle is $66,500 (with sales ranging from $50k-$85k). While I acknowledge the 1952 Mantle dwarfs the blue M116 Wagner in importance/cache, is it so odd that a card of Honus Wagner, which is 40 years older and way more scarce, sells for $13k less than the average sales price of a like-graded 1952 Topps mantle?

I understand that does not answer your question, but it’s interesting to consider.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:25 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
There are a total of 62 M116 Blue Wagners on the combined PSA/SGC population report. That really is not a huge number, especially considering how many are in collections and not available for sale. By contrast, there are over 2,500, 1952 Topps Mantles on the combined PSA/SGC population report; and I am sure there are many more 52 Topps Mantles than blue M116 Wagners out there not reflected on the pop reports. It seems there are 2-6, 1952 Mantles in every auction.

According to VCP, the average price for a PSA 3, 1952 Topps Mantle is $66,500 (with sales ranging from $50k-$85k). While I acknowledge the 1952 Mantle dwarfs the blue M116 Wagner in importance/cache, is it so odd that a card of Honus Wagner, which is 40 years older and way more scarce, sells for $13k less than the average sales price of a like-graded 1952 Topps mantle?

I understand that does not answer your question, but it’s interesting to consider.
Way too many instances in the hobby were scarcity plays no role in the eventual value of a card. It always comes down to a demand for that card. Maybe this new price point is just that--establishing a new demand for the M116s and other Wagner portrait cards.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Way too many instances in the hobby were scarcity plays no role in the eventual value of a card. It always comes down to a demand for that card. Maybe this new price point is just that--establishing a new demand for the M116s and other Wagner portrait cards.
The demand is obviously there. My point is the supply is scarce. I bet there are more graded 1952 Topps Mantles than all graded cards of Wagner combined. Wagner is a popular and desirable player- maybe bc he is a first 5, maybe bc of the t206, maybe bc he is one of the all time greats, and likely all 3. It’s tough to own a Wagner and tougher to own a Wagner portrait. Add that the sharp rise in value leads to Fomo - get one now or they will be out of reach- and bam, a value explosion. Will it continue? No clue. But I am not looking to sell mine bc I want them. But if I had a better use for/needed the money, I would sell given the sharp increase.

Peter, your blue Wagner is likely worth $70k+ based on the last sale. Do you want $70k+ or a blue Wagner? They both sound pretty nice.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:44 PM

Default M116 Wagner

In the perfectly insane world of card collecting in 2023, the prices for the Wagner portraits make perfect sense to me. They have very low pops, and I have actually been surprised at the relative 'undervaluation' of both the M116 and E90-2. Very few of us can have THE card, so why not "settle" for the next best thing, which is, currently, somewhat obtainable (or used to be).

I am biased on this issue, but my prediction is that they will either stabilize or continue to climb. (Note: my name is not Warren Buffett, so caveat emptor).
Old 09-14-2023, 11:08 AM
Carl

Quote:
Yeah - the Jordan rookie was insane. A simple look at the pop charts told us all that - NOT rare! (shhh, neither is that '80 Topps Henderson rookie - hah)

Re: Wagner, I've had this lovely card since trading for it at the '92 National in Atlanta. Had it graded just a couple of years ago.... prices recently for Authentic and 1.5s makes me very tempted to part with this fella! I still wonder if it's a good thought!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0145.jpg (161.2 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by CJinPA; 09-14-2023 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:34 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:

Thoughts?
Wagners are hot in my opinion. You really can’t go wrong keeping or selling, but I always have said that when the market trend have you thinking of selling a card, the time is probably right to do so.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:26 AM
Don

Think about how many cards Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, and even Eddie Collins have by extending their careers into the 1920s

Wagner thus doesn’t have all of those caramel issues and exhibits that other stars have.

The timing of his career plus the T206 make any Wagner that much more in demand. Not enough options to go around.

Here is my lone Wagner which SGC reholdered at the 2023 national

Last edited by theshowandme; 09-11-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
Think about how many cards Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, and even Eddie Collins have by extending their careers into the 1920s

Wagner thus doesn’t have all of those caramel issues and exhibits that other stars have.

The timing of his career plus the T206 make any Wagner that much more in demand. Not enough options to go around.
...and the fact that the only tobacco card sets that include Wagner are the T200 set (team set), T206 (the word iconic was created because of this card), and the scarce T216 sets, and you have one tough top tier HOF player with relatively limited card options.

Brian
Old 09-11-2023, 11:18 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Someone should overpay me for this one, I can handle the taxes.

Last edited by calvindog; 09-11-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:32 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Interesting that the blue Wags has recently outperformed the Cobb. In most sets, I believe, the Cobb fetches a higher price. I have always liked the E94 & E95 Wags and when the the next one comes up for auction, I bet they do well.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:58 PM

Right… unless there is a very compelling use of the funds, I do not advise selling a (historically) rare, appreciating asset just to have less spending power on a similar asset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2023, 06:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmanfan View Post
Right… unless there is a very compelling use of the funds, I do not advise selling a (historically) rare, appreciating asset just to have less spending power on a similar asset.

OK I understand that.

Old 09-11-2023, 06:04 PM

I’d like to know the answer for that myself.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:23 AM

Default Great Thread

Nicely entertaining thread, Peter.

The 1913 Voskamps Coffee card appears to be missing from the list (could just be my eyes). Great spreadsheet, BTW.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:33 AM

Default Wagner

Can there really be only 37 copies of the 1916 M101-4 Sporting News "golfing" Wagner (well, 38 if you include mine, which is, unfortunately, in the original GAI holder from 20 years ago)?
Old 09-16-2023, 09:22 AM
Bob

Default Wagner increase

I am not surprised at growth in Wagner prices. The t-206 has some influence on other Wagners. For example the Tip Top Wagner has about the same population as the T-206 and is a beautiful card but is still available at about 5% cost of the t-206. So not surprising there is room to go up significantly. I see the Heritage Tip Top is already at 100k.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:34 AM
Jim Reynolds

Has the updated spreadsheet been posted yet?
Old 09-16-2023, 11:24 AM
Seabr.en Re.eves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Has the updated spreadsheet been posted yet?
Yes I’ve updated the Excel with the Pinkerton Cabinets and Coffee cards. If any errors or omissions, please advise and I’ll revise further. In the meantime, I’m looking into the M101-4 issues and counts. Thanks and happy collecting!
Old 09-16-2023, 11:49 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
Yes I’ve updated the Excel with the Pinkerton Cabinets and Coffee cards. If any errors or omissions, please advise and I’ll revise further. In the meantime, I’m looking into the M101-4 issues and counts. Thanks and happy collecting!
Is there a link? I must have missed it.

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 09-16-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:49 PM
Michael

There is no link but there is a screenshot in post 15 that is updated as new information becomes available.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:38 PM
David H.

The authentic pastel M116 in REA looks to be headed north of 10k this weekend.

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
T206 NY Highlanders (100%)
1956 Topps Yankees (100%)
T210 Series 3 Orange Borders (9/20 45%)
Old 01-21-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper1927 View Post
The authentic pastel M116 in REA looks to be headed north of 10k this weekend.

Yup, currently at $11,700. The Colgans PSA 1 is just shy of $2000 with BP, a record. Wags is still hot
Old 01-27-2024, 06:17 AM
Seabr.en Re.eves

Updated version and a card to accompany the post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wagner e102.jpg (120.5 KB, 850 views)
File Type: jpg Wagner pop.jpg (109.4 KB, 789 views)

Last edited by brunswickreeves; 01-27-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:46 AM
David H.

The chart shows 29 for E103 Beckett. They show only 1 on pop report, I think the 29 is the “number” of the card for them.

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
Old 01-27-2024, 11:13 AM
Seabr.en Re.eves

Quote:
The chart shows 29 for E103 Beckett. They show only 1 on pop report, I think the 29 is the “number” of the card for them.

Good catch! Edited that one and doubled checked/updated other Beckett POPs.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:57 AM
David H.

Thank you sir!

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
Old 01-27-2024, 04:20 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

I found it interesting (puzzling?) that the e106 Wagner batting in Heritage last night sold for more than the e106 Cobb leaning in bat. While it was $120 more for the Wags, I thought the Cobb to be in better condition although I’m biased as I bought the Cobb (both are pictured below). Have we reached the point where Wags outsells Cobb in similar (non Wagner portrait) issues? If so, I’ll take Cobb 10 out of 10 times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8CC6E116-4F10-4315-8F18-D59C9ADEA070.jpeg (79.8 KB, 762 views)
File Type: jpeg DCCD62A5-C322-427D-A208-39AC76B0579D.jpeg (76.0 KB, 759 views)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:43 PM
Mac Wubben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
I found it interesting (puzzling?) that the e106 Wagner batting in Heritage last night sold for more than the e106 Cobb leaning in bat. While it was $120 more for the Wags, I thought the Cobb to be in better condition although I’m biased as I bought the Cobb (both are pictured below). Have we reached the point where Wags outsells Cobb in similar (non Wagner portrait) issues? If so, I’ll take Cobb 10 out of 10 times.
Well, I needed the Wagner for my set, but not the Cobb...so I'm partially to blame. Still lost it though.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Besides the crease, Cobby has a nice bright look to it. Congrats!
Old 01-29-2024, 10:13 PM
Jay Cee

Aaron, very nice Cobb and Congrats. I was thinking the same thing on the Novelty Cutlery postcards, where the Wagner went higher than the Cobb.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:01 PM
Mike
mi.ke gia.m

m116 sporting life blue Wagz going strong in REA...
Old 02-18-2024, 05:03 PM
David H.

I’m waiting to see what happens in overtime. A lot of them have shot up in extended bidding.

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
Old 03-13-2024, 06:40 PM
David H.

Seems the market keeps booming in Wagner’s - especially portraits. Any additional insights?

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
Old 03-13-2024, 09:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Seems the market keeps booming in Wagner’s - especially portraits. Any additional insights?

My insight is that I would probably sell mine now if it weren't for taxes.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Very true, the cost of exiting in the collectible category is a big hit to the pocket.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:52 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Very true, the cost of exiting in the collectible category is a big hit to the pocket.
To me it beats taking a loss on an item. Gladly...well maybe not gladly but willing to pay taxes on a gain over taking less than I paid. Even after taxes, we still get to keep a majority of the gain.

Signed,
Goodie goodie
Old 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

To be more accurate, what I meant to say was that after taking taxes into account, the profit is not large enough to entice me to sell. As Lorewalker says, it wouldn't really be a hit to the pocket, it would still be a nice gain.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
you dont have to be a goodie goodie... you can get cash for that at the national
Old 03-15-2024, 01:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The effort to purchase a Wagner nowadays is Wagnerian.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-15-2024, 01:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandrus1 View Post
you dont have to be a goodie goodie... you can get cash for that at the national
And then you have to transport and launder the cash. If you just deposit it into your account, there will be a report generated and the authorities may want to have a word, and you better have reported the income when they come knocking. "Any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you're gonna f**k up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius - and you ain't no genius." Body Heat, 1981. The algebra of deterrence at work here. Avoiding a bit of capital gains tax is not worth risking a professional license (Peter is a lawyer) and possibly one's liberty. It also isn't being a goodie-goodie. It is being a good citizen. "Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society"--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Compania General De Tabacos De Filipinas v. Collector of Internal Revenue, 275 U.S. 87, 100, dissenting opinion, November 21, 1927.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-15-2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:26 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
And then you have to transport and launder the cash. If you just deposit it into your account, there will be a report generated and the authorities may want to have a word, and you better have reported the income when they come knocking. "Any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you're gonna f**k up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius - and you ain't no genius." Body Heat, 1981. The algebra of deterrence at work here. Avoiding a bit of capital gains tax is not worth risking a professional license (Peter is a lawyer) and possibly one's liberty. It also isn't being a goodie-goodie. It is being a good citizen. "Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society"--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Compania General De Tabacos De Filipinas v. Collector of Internal Revenue, 275 U.S. 87, 100, dissenting opinion, November 21, 1927.
Bonus pro tip:

If you're going to do something illegal, then best practices are not to post about it in a public online forum.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel