NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-12-2014, 10:26 AM
David Seid.eman

Default Billy Crystal's Mickey Mantle Glove Gets Boost

For my Net54 friends, my latest Forbes post reveals that Mickey Mantle nicknamed his baseball gloves.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidsei...rom-rare-note/

Thank you, as always.

David
Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Belltown Vintage

What a great glove - seemed like a bargain at that price. Hopefully our resident Tresh collector won it.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:23 AM

Great article!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Nice article, but......

Years ago, shortly after the Sotheby's auction , glove authenticator Denny Eskin was raising questions about the authenticity of the glove that Crystal purchased. Anyone else hear or know anything about that?
Old 12-20-2014, 08:59 AM

Unfortunately that glove is a dog, at least for the price Billy paid. The game used equipment vetting of the Halper sale was embarrassing. There was a ton of bad uniforms especially the 19th century material and that glove is not alone by far. I have had a long list of clients who got burned buying jerseys especially. we are talking millions of dollars here lost by people who could not afford such a hit. As for the Billy Crystal Mantle glove it was sold as being from 1961 when it was used much later in his career and far less desirable for obvious reasons. I spoke to Billy and his wife several years ago about it. He was embarrassed and she was defensive. This kind of stuff is a crime figuratively and literally. When you turn people off like Billy Crystal out of greed you shoot us all in the foot.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Jake Cornwell

I enjoyed the article, too. I'm not sure what the author means by saying the Crystal's glove "gets a boost" because of Tom Tresh's gift from Mantle.

It's cool that Tresh's glove is likely a Mantle game-used piece, but how does that affect Crystal's Halper purchase?

I think the Tresh glove is a steal at under $8K, especially because it came from Mantle and might've been used by him.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Jeff

Me too, I fail to see the boost.
If I follow the chain correctly, the winner paid nearly $8000 for a glove that may have been used by Mantle but was for sure used by Tresh. Billy paid nearly a quarter of a million for a glove purported to be game used from the magical '61 season which most believe was from much later in the decade. It's going to be tough to give that a boost at those prices, right?

I have always thought the game-used niche suffered from a tad of euphoric-wishful-thinking.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 12-30-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Howard Chasser

Default an early article

Here's an interesting read about the glove:

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ticle-1.514248

Tags
baseball glove, game-used, mickey mantle, rawlings