NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Robbie's Avatar
Robbie Robbie is offline
Rob Sl@+kin
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 142
Default I was on the World Series Broadcast last night!...Well at least my photo was.

Right before the game started last night (Game 4), Joe Buck was talking about how the last time the Nationals were in the World Series was in 1933. A graphic came on the TV showing the front page of the Sports Section of the Washington Post from September 22, 1933 showing Joe Cronin and Clark Griffith celebrating going to the World Series.

I turned to my Fiancee who I am forcing to watch the games with me (she's bored mindless) and said that I have the original photo used for that front page from 1933. That peaked her interest a little bit... ("What's that worth???" Nothing Dear... go back to sleep.). I'm sorry I said anything.

Anyway, I hardly ever post photos from my personal collection, but I thought it would be cool considering it has been so many years since the Nats have played this late in the year, and they need some positive mojo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 Cronin-Griffith Win Pennant (Newspaper).jpg (79.3 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg 1933 Cronin-Griffith (Front).jpg (47.8 KB, 542 views)
__________________
Focusing on Vintage Sports & Non-Sports Photography for over 20 Years.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2019, 07:35 PM
Robbie's Avatar
Robbie Robbie is offline
Rob Sl@+kin
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 142
Default

Here is the back of the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 Cronin-Griffith (Back).jpg (68.1 KB, 525 views)
__________________
Focusing on Vintage Sports & Non-Sports Photography for over 20 Years.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2019, 08:02 PM
Stampsfan's Avatar
Stampsfan Stampsfan is offline
Bob Davies
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,034
Default

Very cool. Nice piece.
__________________
Successful transactions on Net54 with greenmonster66; Peter_Spaeth; robw1959; Stetson_1883; boxcar18; Blackie
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2019, 08:34 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 7,028
Default

How is it that an expansion team was in the series in 1933?

Cool photo.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Robbie's Avatar
Robbie Robbie is offline
Rob Sl@+kin
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
How is it that an expansion team was in the series in 1933?

Cool photo.
Thank you Bob and Steve. There is a lot of joy expressed in that photo.

Not that it changes the purpose of my original post, but yes Steve... you are correct about it not being the Expos or an expansion team back in 1933. With apologies, please substitute "a Major League Baseball team in Washington DC" for "Nationals" or "Nats" if that level of accuracy in the my initial post makes a difference for you.
__________________
Focusing on Vintage Sports & Non-Sports Photography for over 20 Years.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2019, 12:21 AM
ValKehl's Avatar
ValKehl ValKehl is offline
Val Kehl
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manassas, VA (DC suburb)
Posts: 2,801
Default

Rob, I completely agree with you that the Nats need some "positive mojo," especially after the Game 5 loss in which Scherzer was unable to pitch. Here it is - it has just dawned on me that there is a pre-ordained pattern to this WS, that being that the Astros win all the games at DC, and the Nats win all the games at Houston - I wonder if a 7-game WS has ever worked out this way.
__________________
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2, 1931 W502, W504, W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 both versions, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad back, etc. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking of WaJo.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2019, 06:51 AM
ALBB ALBB is offline
Albert Bee
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 677
Default WS

Yea !, first question many people ask - " What's is worth ? " LOL
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2019, 08:13 AM
darwinbulldog's Avatar
darwinbulldog darwinbulldog is offline
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Rob, I completely agree with you that the Nats need some "positive mojo," especially after the Game 5 loss in which Scherzer was unable to pitch. Here it is - it has just dawned on me that there is a pre-ordained pattern to this WS, that being that the Astros win all the games at DC, and the Nats win all the games at Houston - I wonder if a 7-game WS has ever worked out this way.
That hasn't happened yet. And I'll eat my hat if it happens this year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2019, 09:09 AM
cubman1941 cubman1941 is offline
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kingsport Tennessee
Posts: 961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
That hasn't happened yet. And I'll eat my hat if it happens this year.
With or without ketchup? :>}
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2019, 09:19 AM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 7,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
Thank you Bob and Steve. There is a lot of joy expressed in that photo.

Not that it changes the purpose of my original post, but yes Steve... you are correct about it not being the Expos or an expansion team back in 1933. With apologies, please substitute "a Major League Baseball team in Washington DC" for "Nationals" or "Nats" if that level of accuracy in the my initial post makes a difference for you.

I probably should have left that bit out.... I figured it came from the TV people. Just one of those things that bugs me when journalists just get things way wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2019, 05:29 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 31,126
Default

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the "nothing dear, go back to sleep" comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
Right before the game started last night (Game 4), Joe Buck was talking about how the last time the Nationals were in the World Series was in 1933. A graphic came on the TV showing the front page of the Sports Section of the Washington Post from September 22, 1933 showing Joe Cronin and Clark Griffith celebrating going to the World Series.

I turned to my Fiancee who I am forcing to watch the games with me (she's bored mindless) and said that I have the original photo used for that front page from 1933. That peaked her interest a little bit... ("What's that worth???" Nothing Dear... go back to sleep.). I'm sorry I said anything.

Anyway, I hardly ever post photos from my personal collection, but I thought it would be cool considering it has been so many years since the Nats have played this late in the year, and they need some positive mojo!
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Gary Dunaier's Avatar
Gary Dunaier Gary Dunaier is offline
"Thumbs Down Guy"
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 728
Default

I also got a mention during the World Series.

In the top of the 7th inning of Game 6 of the 2019 World Series, Fox showed the clip from Game 5 of Washington fan Jeff Adams taking a home run ball to his chest because he didn't want to let go of his two cans of Bud Light. Budweiser rewarded him by sending him to Game 6, and after Fox showed the clip they had a live shot of Adams in the stands. Adams is looking into the camera, giving the thumbs-up.



That prompted broadcaster John Smoltz to say: "We had the Todd Frazier Thumbs Down Guy... hey, now we get the thumbs-up guy, or the two-beers guy."
__________________
My GIF has been viewed more than one quarter billion times!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Gary Dunaier's Avatar
Gary Dunaier Gary Dunaier is offline
"Thumbs Down Guy"
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 728
Default

I also got a mention during the World Series.

In the top of the 7th inning of Game 6 of the 2019 World Series, Fox showed the clip from Game 5 of Washington fan Jeff Adams taking a home run ball to his chest because he didn't want to let go of his two cans of Bud Light. Budweiser rewarded him by sending him to Game 6, and after Fox showed the clip they had a live shot of Adams in the stands. Adams is looking into the camera, giving the thumbs-up.



That prompted broadcaster John Smoltz to say: "We had the Todd Frazier Thumbs Down Guy... hey, now we get the thumbs-up guy, or the two-beers guy."
__________________
My GIF has been viewed more than one quarter billion times!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1933, cronin, griffith, nationals, world series



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1939 world series team photo minibatsman Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 4 09-12-2015 09:05 PM
1908 Cubs world series poster photo's ScottR81 Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 16 06-30-2011 03:33 PM
1909 World Series Photo Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 08-25-2006 10:04 AM
1909 World Series Photo Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 0 08-24-2006 09:14 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 AM.


ebay GSB