NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Chris

Default PSA 52 Mantle w/ frosted edges on ebay

This current auction for a 52 Mantle that is a $25,000+ looks to have some of the worst frosted edges I have ever seen. Has it been cracked open? I smell a rat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130423680314
Old 08-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Daryl

Yep, and the flip's fake.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Seller recently purchased this duesy,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120588499540
Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Tom Papa

Default PSA label

The "NM 7" on the label has the 7 close to being printed on the red part of the label.

Nice catch on the frosted flip. I think the label is a dead give away too.

Did you report the guy?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Rob G.

if the guy gets reported to ebay, what will happen? the listing gets removed, and he does a better job on the flip and in a few months we see it appear again, but better looking?

he should spend a few nights in jail for trying to steal $25k+
Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Doug C.

I saw this card a few days ago. I can't believe the people that bid on these things. This looks so fake it's not even close. If I was going to drop $25k on a card I think I'd have a clue of what I was buying.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Tom Papa

Default shills

Most of the bids are probably shills from his friends/partners in crime. Or his other eBay accounts.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSoxBoSox View Post
Most of the bids are probably shills from his friends/partners in crime. Or his other eBay accounts.
Probably. The bidder with the 95 feedback has bid on the card 4 times and has "100% bid activity with this seller" in the past 30 days. It would be nice if eBay paid more attention to these things instead of relying on users to report everything, but I guess they aren't worried about people getting scammed as long as the seller pays his eBay and PayPal fees.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Edward F.

wow, at least line up the numbers on the label.

and with the money he has he can't afford a scanner?

Last edited by T205; 08-25-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 View Post
wow, at least line up the numbers on the label.

and with the money he has he can't afford a scanner?
Maybe he can't afford a scanner and that's why he is trying to sell a $25k fake card. That and a large clear scan would make it look more fake than it already does.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Chris

I think ebay should let us see the people who are bidding on these scammers items so we cand send them a message and let them know whats going on. Also I wonder why the reserve? I would think that if it's a fake he would make $ if it sold for any amount over $10.

Last edited by hunterdutchess; 08-25-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 PM

hunter,

My guess is having the reserve adds an element of "realness" to the card.

How much do real PSA 7 Mantles sell for? Whatever it is, just imagine if this card only had a bid of $2,000 dollars and no reserve. People would look at that and think something fishy was going on. However, if the seller puts a reserve on the card and shill bids it up to $25,000, it looks more "real" to unsuspecting bidders.

This way, when the auction is over and the card does not meet the reserve, the seller can go back to whatever real bidder is out there and tell them a story about the high bidder not wanting the card after all and offering it for his lower (real) bid. This way, the seller STILL makes a buttload of money off a fake card.

David
Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 PM

hunter,

I agree that eBay should allow bidders ID's to be shown.

Back in the old days, I used to e mail people about scams all the time. Some took my advice and stopped bidding, others didn't and got taken. A few e mailed me back and told me to mind my own business. I took that as a person shill bidding his own auctions wanting me to butt out so he could rip people off in peace.

A month ago, I got lucky and saw that a person who had won a fake 1915 Cracker Jack Walter Johnson for $225 dollars had their ID in full view. So, I e mailed them and told them their card was fake and pointed them to THIS forum. After a few days, the buyer e mailed back and thanked me for the heads up. A few weeks later, the buyer e mailed me again and told me he had filed a claim with eBay and PayPal and he had gotten his money back.

So far, the seller (goodfind4u) has not listed anything to sell since then.

David
Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Bob

Default 52 mantle

The cert number is legit- I checked with psa database
Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19th century View Post
The cert number is legit- I checked with psa database
The label is fake. All the person that made it had to do is find a scan of a legit PSA 7 Mantle and copy the cert number so if anyone checks their "card" it will match up with a PSA 7 '52 Mantle on the PSA site.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Tom Papa

Default Mantle

Fake or not, nobody should ever buy a '52 Topps Mantle in PSA 7 or anything that cost near that much unless they buy it from a very reputable seller. The scan in that auction is laughable. We're supposed to believe the person can afford that card but they can't afford to spend $300 on a digital scanner or camera. I sure hope nobody gets ripped-off.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Doug C.

I reported it to eBay if that even does any good. The generic form of drop down menus they give you is stupid. If you select counterfeit item it gives you choices like bootleg DVDs or computer games. The closest thing I could find that didn't involve DVDs or video games was "counterfeit coupon". At least after you picked from all of their prefilled selections you did get a box to explain why you think the item is fake. Even though I put that it's obvious the card and PSA label are fake, some genius at eBay is probably thinking "What does that guy know?".
Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
I agree that eBay should allow bidders ID's to be shown.
David,

I disagree and here is why. A few years ago, I used to sell cars on eBay. I would have other dealerships/wholesalers/individuals email my bidders and offer to sell them a similar car outside of eBay. I am sure it happened with things other than cars as well. That's why I see the need to keep bidder's identities protected. That's just my $.02

David
Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Jim D

im on the fence about the bidders identity... i used to get "off ebay offers" all the time when they were exposed, but i also understand and appreciate the other side.

My suggestion, it should be a privacy section that you can choose to have your id shown or hidden for purchases.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Bob

Default 1952 mantle removed by ebay

They just took the card down
Old 08-25-2010, 07:34 PM

Just got in on this thread.

Missed the listing, it's been removed.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
im on the fence about the bidders identity... i used to get "off ebay offers" all the time when they were exposed, but i also understand and appreciate the other side.

My suggestion, it should be a privacy section that you can choose to have your id shown or hidden for purchases.
I think a good idea just for the card ebay market would be to still alow ebay members to sell there items and keep the bidders private during sale untill the item hits $100+ then it should become public to everyone. This could prevent other members from getting scamed and reduce shill bidding.

Last edited by hunterdutchess; 08-25-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Jim D

well you could say the same for any collectibles..

stamps, coins, comics, cars, antiques, etc.. saying just cards is un-realistic. It has to be everyone, no one, or a personal option on your account!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19th century View Post
They just took the card down
I guess eBay believed me after all. Hopefully the guy doesn't just keep relisting it everytime they take it down.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdutchess View Post
I think ebay should let us see the people who are bidding on these scammers items so we cand send them a message and let them know whats going on. Also I wonder why the reserve? I would think that if it's a fake he would make $ if it sold for any amount over $10.
+1