NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Dave Fa*st

Default 1900 Brooklyn Baseball Team Schedule

Hello guys. I had asked a couple different folks who I'd consider to have about as much knowledge as possible in this hobby and whom have seen about everything there is to see and still haven't been able to acquire too much info on this item.

What I know -

Not a "cabinet" size you might associate with many of these team portrait cards. It's only about 5 1/2" by 5 1/4" or so when opened.

The photography was done by Gardner and Co, out of Brooklyn and it was printed by F. Collyer.

Below is the subjects on the portraits. My thought right now is it may have been handed out at the first game of the season...(based on Doc Casey being featured, when he only played one game in 1900).

Cather - J.T. (Deacon) Mcguire

Outfielder - J.J. (Joe) Kelley HOF

Outfielder - J.T. (Jimmy) Sheckard

Outfielder - W.H. (Willie) Keeler HOF

Outfielder - F.A. (Fielder) Jones

Third Base - L.N. (Lave) Cross

Pitcher - J.H. (Jerry) Nops

Pitcher - W. (Brickyard) Kennedy

Pitcher - F.R. (Frank) Kitson

Catcher - C.A. (Duke) Farrell

First Base - Hughie Jennings HOF

Shortstop - W.F. (Bill) Dahlen

Second Base - E. (Gene) DeMontreville

Second Base - T.P. (Tom) Daly

Third Base - J.R. (Doc) Casey

Pitcher - J. (Jack) Dunn

Pitcher - H. (Harry) Howell

Pitcher - J. (Joe) McGinnity HOF

Manager - E. (Ned) Hanlon HOF

President - C.H. (Charles) Ebbets

Would love to hear if anyone has seen these before, has one or has any info on them. If you have seen them in what condition? I wish the front of this one wasn't messed up from being in a scrapbook but that's the case, ow does it affect the value on these types of schedule cards?

Thanks for any help or info.

P.S. - my scan with the players' portraits didn't quite come out right color wise...it's actually closer in tone to the back scan...but I didn't want to fudge with the image.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Barry Sloate

As I told you most schedules from that era do not picture the players, and that is a big plus. There are also five HOFers on the team, not too shabby. I also think some of the scrapbook paper can be removed from the front. Not sure of the vaue though, or for that matter how much of the front is actually missing. I think it's a great piece.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Dave Fa*st

Barry -

Yes a couple spots of paper may be removeable by an expert...after looking closely I would NOT be that expert.

From what I was told this came from a scrapbook from someone on the West Coast that was filled with all sorts of things from the Brooklyn-New York area. Could have been someone that maybe made a trip east and had a souviner from each place they visited?

And it would appear Brooklyn had a heck of a team that year.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

great piece, I really like it!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
great piece, I really like it!

Thank you Jeff. For the record, I won't try soaking it.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

It's a keeper, for sure.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Ken Wirt

Nice!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Frank Wakefield

Seriously, have you put it under a black light?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Seriously, have you put it under a black light?

Um, no.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Shawn England

Default Brooklyn

David,

Nice Schedule... I have been searching far and wide trying to find another one like this... So far nothing. I am afraid I can be of little assistance on this one. I would be interested if you decide to part with it!

Shawn
Old 12-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

It might be worth posting this on the memorabilia side so even more folks will see it. To get their opinions on it.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Jon Canfield

It's unfortunate there is so much paperloss on the front. Would have loved to see what it looked like without it. I agree with Barry though - a little distilled water on a q-tip dabbed along the paper still stuck to the front should easily remove it. No professional needed.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
It's unfortunate there is so much paperloss on the front. Would have loved to see what it looked like without it. I agree with Barry though - a little distilled water on a q-tip dabbed along the paper still stuck to the front should easily remove it. No professional needed.

Jon -

If you scan down to the bottom of this page there is an 1895 scorecard with the same ad, other than it's Eastern Park instead of Washington Park.

http://www.covehurst.net/ddyte/brooklyn/dodgers.html
Old 12-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Shawn England

Default Joe Mcginnity's Rookie Card!

Hey,

After taking another look dave, i'm almost wanting to say this would be Joe Mcginnity's rookie piece, yes it's not an actual card...but I dont know if there is any earlier items with Mcginnity???

It is amazing to me how new things (new to me anyway) pop up like this every once in awhile... I have never seen this schedule before.

Shawn
Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Hey,

After taking another look dave, i'm almost wanting to say this would be Joe Mcginnity's rookie piece, yes it's not an actual card...but I dont know if there is any earlier items with Mcginnity???

It is amazing to me how new things (new to me anyway) pop up like this every once in awhile... I have never seen this schedule before.

Shawn

You may be right, i'm not sure if there's something that was earlier for McGinnity or not.

It his is same post from the E103, as it is for some others who are also featured on the E103, Keeler looks the same I know.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Phil Garry

Shawn:

Excellent observation but, while 1900 is Joe's rookie year, this item is a team composite besides not being a "card" so it would not really qualify as a rookie piece. Joe's M101-1, also issued in 1900, would be his true rookie.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Shawn:

Excellent observation but, while 1900 is Joe's rookie year, this item is a team composite besides not being a "card" so it would not really qualify as a rookie piece. Joe's M101-1, also issued in 1900, would be his true rookie.
m101-1 also not a card though. Both items still very cool.

Last edited by Bicem; 12-05-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Frank Wakefield

Well if you have a black light, take a moment to illuminate that schedule with it. Let us know if it fluoresces. And where did you acquire that schedule??
Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Well if you have a black light, take a moment to illuminate that schedule with it. Let us know if it fluoresces. And where did you acquire that schedule??

I don't have a black light Frank. What exactly are you seeing as an issue? It's fake? ? It would be easier if you'd just say....

Last edited by asphaltman; 12-05-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Frank Wakefield

I don't think it's fake. But I'm not certain as to authenticity. The address is correct for the 2nd Washington Park. And the chronology of the year, dates,and days of the week are correct, I checked.

It looks like a pocket schedule... like the ones we see now, and they've been around for about 60 years or so. That one you have would be twice that old. Anyone here see a pocket schedule that folds like modern ones for the 1910's, or 1920's??

If it doesn't glow then we're good. A black light is one fine tool for a vintage collector, everyone fooling around here should have one. The lights are cheap. And one glowing card will pay for the cost of the light. The TPG guys should use one EVERY time; it would avoid the embarrassment of having something in a slab fluoresce, or maybe they'd not be embarrassed by that.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Dave Fa*st

Well as I said Frank I appreicate any input. I do find it a bit confusing what would be the difference in you not thinking it's fake but questioning the authenticity?

As far as the size...5 1/2" by 5 1/4" or so...that was actually my very first eye brow raiser. I thought it was the smallest item I've seen that had the team portraits laid out like a team cabinet card.

I did ask who a couple folks that I'd label as probably some of the smartest and most educated in the hobby their thoughts...and I've heard the size wasn't "that unusual".

It feels real to me....and looks real to me...but I'm not an expert and if it left my hands and went into the hands of someone that is more educated they'll have to determine that....compared to what else? I don't know.

The greatest tool of this forum is to educate hopefully.

As far as where it came from, it was in a scrapbook on the west coast that had items from the Brooklyn-New York area from 1900. It would have appeared that someone may have taken a trip to NY and possibly kept items from the different places they visited.....it was the only baseball item.

Last edited by asphaltman; 12-05-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:32 PM

Its definately a pocket schedule. The front is the same design as a 1900 Brooklyn program. I use to own a 1903 Yankees (Highlanders) schedule that had a somewhat similar picture on the inside. If yours did not have the scrapbook damage I would say it would be worth $300 to $500.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:59 AM
Shawn England

Default Schedule

Dave,

If you intend on letting it go for the above mentioned prices, I may have something for trade you might be interested in?

Shawn