NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2020, 10:27 AM
Michael G0nz@lez

Default T205 Bud Sharpe "variation" - stray line of stats on Honest backs

I recently noticed a consistent difference on the T205 Bud Sharpe with Honest back, in which a partial extra line of stats from Charles Hemphill appears below Sharpe's own stats.

I have only seen this on Sharpe cards with Honest backs, and every Sharpe Honest back that I have seen shows this partial line to some degree.

Here we see several T205 Sharpe Honest backs, each showing a partial line of text below Sharpe's 1910 stats. The height of the partial line varies from card to card, from a tiny sliver to a couple of millimeters.

There is enough of the partial line visible to see that it is not just a repeat of part of Sharpe's 1910 line, though it is for 1910. Note also that the partial line is very slightly further to the left than Sharpe's own stats. (We also see an extra row of stats that is not in line with the other stats on another card - the Wallace no Cap "2 lines of 1910 stats".)

We see that the 1910 "Games" stat is 117 for Sharpe, but the second digit of the partial line is rounded at the bottom, and the third digit definitely has a base line and is not a "7". Similarly, in the Fielding stat, the second digit of the partial line is not rounded at the bottom, so is not an "8", and the third digit has a baseline, so it is not a "7", but that baseline is smaller than that of a "2".

After comparing that line to other T205s, I found that Hemphill is the match. (Which is interesting in itself because Sharpe is NL and Hemphill is AL).

This animation shows how Hemphill's stats overlay onto the Sharpe partial line.

How many of these are there?

The grading company population reports aren't super-helpful. PSA doesn't break T205s out by back brand. The SGC stats will be very incomplete because nobody's been bothering to grade lower-condition Sharpe cards, and in any event SGC didn't always grade by brand. But we can at least compare Sharpe to other commons on those charts and get a sense of relative population.

Sharpe is what I would call a "less-common common", falling into the same group as Ames, Daubert, Devore, Jacklitsch, Pfiester, etc. It's not a "short-print" per se, but there are noticeably fewer of those than of, say, Bates, Bergen, Bridwell, Doyle, Mattern, etc.

For Sharpe, Honest is not the easiest back. In my experience, Sharpe is pretty common with Sweet Caporal black ink, and any other back is harder to find at any given time. If the Sharpe "partial line" were to be considered a "variation", I think it would be a difficult one, with perhaps a few dozen out there.

Is it really a "variation"?

I'm not super-concerned about whether a difference like this is an "official" "variation".
That said, I would consider it as much a variation as other differences in printed content that occur only on one back, like the Matty 1-loss (Cycle-only) or the Wilhelm missing "r" (Piedmont-only).

How did it happen?

This obviously isn't just a case of a stray line of type being left on Sharpe.
There must be something funky going on with an ink transfer cylinder and Hemphill being printed just before Sharpe, or something like that. Maybe someone with printing experience can suggest an explanation.

See the Want List for "Successful net54 transactions" list.

Last edited by gonzo; 10-31-2020 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Update Title
Old 10-31-2020, 06:17 PM
Ed Cavagnaro

Michael, You have a SHARPE eye! I would agree with you that this is indeed a variation. You obviously put a great deal of time into identifying where the line of type originated. The animation was a novel idea and was very well done. You have a solid case! Thanks for sharing... Ed
Old 11-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Rob

I have this one, had not noticed the extra line before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205sharpehlc802.jpg (68.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg t205sharpehlcb800.jpg (53.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg t205sharpehlcb2801.jpg (79.6 KB, 116 views)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think the problem happened in the layout of the plate/stone.

But it's a curious one, as it doesn't apply to the common conception that they were printed from type, or the way I believe it was done, transfers printed from type, or masters using transfers from printed type.

It "might" happen photographically, but there's little evidence that a whole lot was done that way at ALC despite their efforts at advancing technology of the day.
The black on T206s is a halftone probably done by a photographic process to make the masters. And ALC sued a couple guys who sold them a photographic process of making metal plates... a system which apparently didn't work, and couldn't work.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice observation. I think most of us collectors get a bit in the weeds with nuances in our little masterpieces. It's a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I recently noticed a consistent difference on the T205 Bud Sharpe with Honest back, in which a partial extra line of stats from Charles Hemphill appears below Sharpe's own stats.

I have only seen this on Sharpe cards with Honest backs, and every Sharpe Honest back that I have seen shows this partial line to some degree.

Here we see several T205 Sharpe Honest backs, each showing a partial line of text below Sharpe's 1910 stats. The height of the partial line varies from card to card, from a tiny sliver to a couple of millimeters.

There is enough of the partial line visible to see that it is not just a repeat of part of Sharpe's 1910 line, though it is for 1910. Note also that the partial line is very slightly further to the left than Sharpe's own stats. (We also see an extra row of stats that is not in line with the other stats on another card - the Wallace no Cap "2 lines of 1910 stats".)

We see that the 1910 "Games" stat is 117 for Sharpe, but the second digit of the partial line is rounded at the bottom, and the third digit definitely has a base line and is not a "7". Similarly, in the Fielding stat, the second digit of the partial line is not rounded at the bottom, so is not an "8", and the third digit has a baseline, so it is not a "7", but that baseline is smaller than that of a "2".

After comparing that line to other T205s, I found that Hemphill is the match. (Which is interesting in itself because Sharpe is NL and Hemphill is AL).

This animation shows how Hemphill's stats overlay onto the Sharpe partial line.

How many of these are there?

The grading company population reports aren't super-helpful. PSA doesn't break T205s out by back brand. The SGC stats will be very incomplete because nobody's been bothering to grade lower-condition Sharpe cards, and in any event SGC didn't always grade by brand. But we can at least compare Sharpe to other commons on those charts and get a sense of relative population.

Sharpe is what I would call a "less-common common", falling into the same group as Ames, Daubert, Devore, Jacklitsch, Pfiester, etc. It's not a "short-print" per se, but there are noticeably fewer of those than of, say, Bates, Bergen, Bridwell, Doyle, Mattern, etc.

For Sharpe, Honest is not the easiest back. In my experience, Sharpe is pretty common with Sweet Caporal black ink, and any other back is harder to find at any given time. If the Sharpe "partial line" were to be considered a "variation", I think it would be a difficult one, with perhaps a few dozen out there.

Is it really a "variation"?

I'm not super-concerned about whether a difference like this is an "official" "variation".
That said, I would consider it as much a variation as other differences in printed content that occur only on one back, like the Matty 1-loss (Cycle-only) or the Wilhelm missing "r" (Piedmont-only).

How did it happen?

This obviously isn't just a case of a stray line of type being left on Sharpe.
There must be something funky going on with an ink transfer cylinder and Hemphill being printed just before Sharpe, or something like that. Maybe someone with printing experience can suggest an explanation.

Tags
t205, t205 variation