NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-25-2020, 07:14 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Anyone here collect Topps Heritage?

2020 back to 2001?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 08:09 AM
Al Richter

I have all the Heritage sets, base and update, so far, in "master" form, in binders. Up to 2011 I also did all the variations but then stopped after they became too many, too scarce and too expensive. Ironically I have also kept my Topps run going by getting the Topps base and traded or update set as well. But from 1994 on they are still in boxes

I did the Hertiage sets because I had the underlying sets that they copied and liked them all. But am thinking I may stop doing Heritage sets after 1972, 1975 at the outside. Never had warm feelings about sets from the mid 70s through most of the 80s
Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

As a fun project in addition to the 1952 set, I have amassed some unopened 2001 heritage boxes. Hard to believe they are 20 years old.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I've got each years set and a sealed box of each year. Will probably stop after next year.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:22 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I wish I had paid attention to/discovered Heritage sooner. Last year was the first time I really noticed and paid any attention to it. As someone who has collected vintage for a while, I am finding that I have reached a point of exhaustion with it on a few levels. I grew up in the 80s and my collecting attention is starting to focus from that decade forward. I am a set builder at heart and not really into a lot of the modern gimmicks. Heritage strikes a real cord with me. It mostly isn't terribly pricey either. I still enjoy the modern game. I am putting together 2020 and will probably start working backward, just not sure how far back I can realistically go. I really don't want to just buy sets..while that is cheaper, it isn't as satisfying.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:19 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I collect the Mets team sets from all Topps Heritage years and any related inserts or specials that replicate the look of the original cards. I had a few years done and just ordered a bunch from teamsets4u actually, kind of a shut-in project for me at the moment. It's the only modern issue I have any interest in really.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:46 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I collect the Mets team sets from all Topps Heritage years and any related inserts or specials that replicate the look of the original cards. I had a few years done and just ordered a bunch from teamsets4u actually, kind of a shut-in project for me at the moment. It's the only modern issue I have any interest in really.
That's me, too. I really don't collect modern (except for 80s), but I really like Heritage. I am going for sets beyond my Cardinals players.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:46 AM

I get a few hobby boxes each year but have slowed down since 2015. I'm pretty good with 2001, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015. The gum-stained cards and seemingly infinite alternate poses/uniforms/intentional errors kind of killed the fun but I still pick up odds and ends from those sets.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:48 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I opened a few boxes i think a few yrs ago. Opened and threw back in closet somewhere as i dont pay much attention to the new stuff.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 03-26-2020, 09:56 AM

I love the look of Heritage; especially this year

I collect vintage and some modern. I understand modern cards can lose value, but because I like the modern game and most players, I have become drawn to modern cards.

Does anyone else lose focus and go back and forth between vintage and modern? I mostly collect Dodgers and with so many variations of sets, I tend to go back and forth.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:35 PM
Rick Seuferer

I've been doing Heritage since 2007. I buy a case each year. I am working on master master sets. All inserts, parallels, chrome, autos etc. It's become more daunting with all the parallel sets. Many of the other collectors that did the same have bowed out of the chase. I enjoy set building and love the look of the cards from when I was younger. Not that it truly matters but Heritage still retains more value than any other modern sets.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:41 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Heritage Cards

I started to collect full sets but, the short prints and all of the chrome, black borders etc.. got to be too much. I worked for three years 2011-2013 since they were also my favorite Topps sets (62-64). I now collect just the Detroit Tigers cards and the World Series cards.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:45 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrew View Post
I love the look of Heritage; especially this year

I collect vintage and some modern. I understand modern cards can lose value, but because I like the modern game and most players, I have become drawn to modern cards.

Does anyone else lose focus and go back and forth between vintage and modern? I mostly collect Dodgers and with so many variations of sets, I tend to go back and forth.
Trust me when I say that you are not alone. I have collected vintage for many years, but I have increasingly been drawn back to cards from the 80s and some forward. I was starting to think I might be the only one. While not necessarily interested a million different colored parallels and stuff /1, /5, etc. from other projects, Heritage is a lot of fun for me. I still really enjoy the modern game and like keeping up with it this way. I don't care too much about the value. I just enjoy set building, and the Heritage projects are relatively inexpensive projects for me compared to what I have spent in the past.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:48 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmrsport View Post
I've been doing Heritage since 2007. I buy a case each year. I am working on master master sets. All inserts, parallels, chrome, autos etc. It's become more daunting with all the parallel sets. Many of the other collectors that did the same have bowed out of the chase. I enjoy set building and love the look of the cards from when I was younger. Not that it truly matters but Heritage still retains more value than any other modern sets.
Good stuff, Rick! I agree, even Heritage is bordering on "too much stuff," but one can choose of skip parts he doesn't like I suppose. I like set building, too. Heritage, for me, represents a relatively affordable way to feed my set building "needs."
Old 03-26-2020, 03:32 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I've been skipping parts that seem a bit too crazy as well- SSP's, gum stains. when Alex Gordon with the middle entirely cut out was going for $200 I decided to chose for myself at what point to call the set complete.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:45 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
I've been skipping parts that seem a bit too crazy as well- SSP's, gum stains. when Alex Gordon with the middle entirely cut out was going for $200 I decided to chose for myself at what point to call the set complete.
Yep, I will get to that point as well. I will be satisfied with base sets, SPs, and whichever of the insert sets I like and not feel like every single action variation or whatever needs to be purchased. I will also hunt autos of certain players that I like...mainly Cardinals I suppose.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 PM
Rich Klein

I play with Heritage every year and do what I like. This year bought 2 Hobby Boxes and one Mega Walmart Box. Will probably get one more Mega box in the near future and they buy some singles as the year goes on.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:58 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Topps did not have a choice on the Alex Gordon cards. They printed them and then oops were not able to put them into packs. And they had to be extra careful in that period because the 1st "contraction" from the licensors had just occurred. Donruss/Leaf/Playoff -- which we know today as Panini had lost the right to print baseball cards in 2006 and the last thing Topps needed was an excuse for someone to show they had goofed up royally.

Oh as to the overdoing of the parallels, to borrow a comment I hear from my friends at Panini with some frequency when I complain about their parallels; their focus groups tell them to make sure there is something in every pack and parallels are cheaper to print than anything else as the photos are already paid for.

So some of the parallels we don't like -- other collectors love.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 03-28-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:37 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I play with Heritage every year and do what I like. This year bought 2 Hobby Boxes and one Mega Walmart Box. Will probably get one more Mega box in the near future and they buy some singles as the year goes on.
Good stuff, thanks for jumping in. Good to hear from collectors who have experience with Heritage! I have purchased a couple of 2020 blasters lately as well as some singles. Also bought a 2001 master set.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:38 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Box toppers

One of the things I have been drawn to is the Boxtoppers from Heritage. One of my favorites is the 1964 Giant set. I purchased a small lot of them and tried to put the set together but proved very difficult. I think the Trout is one of his nicest cards and last year I bought a jeter still in the wrapper. I also like the punchouts and the posters. Anyone else collect the Toppers?
Old 03-29-2020, 06:26 AM
Al Richter

The only Topper set I have attempted is the Topps Teammates, because I was never able to get the original set. It has been a slow endeavor
Old 03-29-2020, 06:35 AM
Albert Bee

Default Topps Heritage

I was drawn in a few years ago..by the retro design

started going crazy buying packs in Walmart and Target... the 66T, 67, 68,..and on and on...in the end got rid of most of them

If anyone is into it, I have a couple hundred " 67 T look a like " that I will give them... I realize these cards are not worth all that much.

Id just ask for a few bucks for shipping
Old 03-29-2020, 09:52 AM
Rich Klein

I'll take any Heritage you want to get rid of. PM with details and I'll get you what you need for shipping.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I collect Topps salesman samples that were issued '52-67, so when Heritage came out with the ad panels in '08 I was all over those. But I seem to be the only person collecting those, and I'm still missing a few from '09 and '10 despite searching ebay a few times a week. I learned that if you don't complete the set within 3-4 weeks of it being released you'll never find the ones you need, as they just aren't worth listing for most people.
I'm betting I'll finish the T204 or Kalamazoo Bat sets before I find those last few Heritage panels.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:52 AM
Mike

I still need a few of the 2007 Topps Heritage ( 1958 Topps Style) of the #'d 558 and the black #'d to 58. Also have some for trade.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:15 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I am loving this thread, guys! Please keep it going! I can't remember what I have posted and what I haven't. Sorry if this is a repeat, but I purchased a 2001 master set the other day. Can't wait to see it! I am also working on the 2020 and will also be working on picking up all of the sets over time. Really, really good stuff! I will just have to pace myself!

Old 03-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
One of the things I have been drawn to is the Boxtoppers from Heritage. One of my favorites is the 1964 Giant set. I purchased a small lot of them and tried to put the set together but proved very difficult. I think the Trout is one of his nicest cards and last year I bought a jeter still in the wrapper. I also like the punchouts and the posters. Anyone else collect the Toppers?
I love the toppers. From my experience, they dry up pretty fast.

The originals with the gold stamping really add nothing. I've yet to see a major star on the market. The condition leaves a lot to be desired also.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:28 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
I'm betting I'll finish the T204 or Kalamazoo Bat sets before I find those last few Heritage panels.
Keep watching COMC as well. There are a lot of sellers who put the panels for sale there. Easiest way to dispose of a collection without nearly as much hassle as eBay.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Surprised nobody has mentioned the image short prints much yet. Up until two years ago, you had to know which cards were the variations. Those of you with bulk commons or sets put together a while ago may have the Jeter Red Sox card or one of the Throwback uniforms hidden in them (worth hundreds or thousands each). Always check the code on the back of the card in the super tiny print to find out. But then again, sometimes even those codes are the same...

So you have to look at the visual checklists like the ones on baseballcardpedia.com to make sure you have the right versions.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:20 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned the image short prints much yet. Up until two years ago, you had to know which cards were the variations. Those of you with bulk commons or sets put together a while ago may have the Jeter Red Sox card or one of the Throwback uniforms hidden in them (worth hundreds or thousands each). Always check the code on the back of the card in the super tiny print to find out. But then again, sometimes even those codes are the same...

So you have to look at the visual checklists like the ones on baseballcardpedia.com to make sure you have the right versions.
I try to get the Cubs/Sox variations if possible. I like the on card autographs more.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:05 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I think the Heritage set is great because it allows you to "collect" the older designs using modern players. This can be a gateway set to introduce younger fans, and newbie adult collectors, to the idea of collecting the original vintage designs.

The one thing I hate - and I do mean hate - about the set is that they didn't wait a year before starting it. If Topps had waited until 2002 to introduce Heritage, they'd be able to say they're using designs from 50 years ago. "49 years ago" doesn't have that same ring.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:46 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I think the Heritage set is great because it allows you to "collect" the older designs using modern players. This can be a gateway set to introduce younger fans, and newbie adult collectors, to the idea of collecting the original vintage designs.

The one thing I hate - and I do mean hate - about the set is that they didn't wait a year before starting it. If Topps had waited until 2002 to introduce Heritage, they'd be able to say they're using designs from 50 years ago. "49 years ago" doesn't have that same ring.
Great point! I have thought about how the 50 year celebration could have been a thing every single year.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:10 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
2020 back to 2001?

Yes, past three years.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:28 PM
Jonathan Sterling

These are some examples of Heritage Boxtoppers. There are also 3 card salesmen sample panels and random cards from the set the heritage set was based on ( so this year there are 1971 cards with an embossed symbol inserted as a box topper.
But most of these examples are limited to between 50 and 100. And as someone else noted they dry up quickly in the market place. So I just try and get a few cards of players that I started putting away for my grandkids like Trout , Gleyber Torres, etc.
I have always enjoyed larger format cards and posters despite them not being as popular or valuable as regular issues. (There are some exceptions and a couple of these Trouts cost quite a bit on secondary market).
Anyone else with Heritage cards they enjoy and want to share?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15856893573891351457272839089330.jpg (75.8 KB, 664 views)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:30 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post

I found you need about three different sources to get full lists, especially if you just collect a specific team or player. Topps really went overkill on the variations and extras starting about 6-7 years ago and hasn't let up.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:52 PM
Jeff Carlson

I'm mainly a vintage collector, but would love to collect Heritage. I love that the cards are actual cardboard. In fact, I actually started putting some of the sets together. But, I just got completely annoyed with the artificial scarcity of the high number short prints. When I multiplied out what I would need to finish a Heritage set, I decided I could better use that money on my vintage set building. So, I just stopped and haven't really looked back. I've occasionally bought a blaster or two the last few years, but no serious collecting.

I still have several 800 count boxes of the early Heritage cards that I keep meaning to sell, but have never gotten around to it.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 04-03-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:09 PM

Default 2012 Heritage

I just started the 2012 Heritage set. I traded two people for sps and NAPs so far. I'm collecting the 2012 set, because it covers the 1963 Topps set. 1963 was the year I was born.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:27 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerfan74 View Post
I just started the 2012 Heritage set. I traded two people for sps and NAPs so far. I'm collecting the 2012 set, because it covers the 1963 Topps set. 1963 was the year I was born.
That is a great Heritage set! It's one I don't currently have, but I hope to someday. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:15 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
These are some examples of Heritage Boxtoppers. There are also 3 card salesmen sample panels and random cards from the set the heritage set was based on ( so this year there are 1971 cards with an embossed symbol inserted as a box topper.
But most of these examples are limited to between 50 and 100. And as someone else noted they dry up quickly in the market place. So I just try and get a few cards of players that I started putting away for my grandkids like Trout , Gleyber Torres, etc.
I have always enjoyed larger format cards and posters despite them not being as popular or valuable as regular issues. (There are some exceptions and a couple of these Trouts cost quite a bit on secondary market).
Anyone else with Heritage cards they enjoy and want to share?
That punchout Trout/Harper is sweet. I have some of the Greatest moments coming, will post them when they arrive.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:33 PM
Phil

Until recently when I decided to assemble my 1953 Bowman color set, I had all of the master sets from 2001- 2019. I was able to collect the SSP variations through 2008 and then 2010-2011. For my 2012 set I'm missing the Francoeur color swap and the Perez with the minor league stats title. Likewise, in 2015 Heritage I am missing the Donaldson and Miller traded cards to call it complete.

I am selling my master sets from 2001, 2016, 2017 and 2018. I have the logo variations for 2009 and 2014, the color swap variations for 2013 and action cards for 2013 and 2014 for sale as well. I'm almost done with my 53 Bowman set and am planning on purchasing 71 Topps complete sets in baseball, football and basketball to remember my childhood.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:25 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I need a Jeter/Wright Punchout if anyone has one FS.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:35 PM

Has anyone opened any of the Heritage boxes from 2017 and below and received the mail in card for the autos? I believe they out them in some early print packs...or maybe I am mistaken.

As I understood it, they expire after 2 years. I was thinking to get a few older boxes from 2015 and before but would be sick if I received a mail in superstar auto/relic but it was expired. Maybe it is also me hoping /chances as I have never received one of these mail in cards after thousands of packs.

Best,
Ed

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2020, 09:40 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstel View Post
Has anyone opened any of the Heritage boxes from 2017 and below and received the mail in card for the autos? I believe they out them in some early print packs...or maybe I am mistaken.

As I understood it, they expire after 2 years. I was thinking to get a few older boxes from 2015 and before but would be sick if I received a mail in superstar auto/relic but it was expired. Maybe it is also me hoping /chances as I have never received one of these mail in cards after thousands of packs.

Best,
Ed

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I once was told that if you receive a mail-in card that you might not get the card advertised, but that they usually still send a replacement. I was told this probably in the early 2000s. Don't know if it's still true or not. But it's still worth sending it in if you get something!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-27-2020, 05:53 AM

I got a couple of boxes of the 2001 when they came out. I still need Jeter and Ripken, if anyone has them for trade. I have a bunch of duplicate high numbers, would probably trade in someone's favor just to finish the set.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:28 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds View Post
That punchout Trout/Harper is sweet. I have some of the Greatest moments coming, will post them when they arrive.
I actually completed the 2020 boxtopper 55-card Greatest Moments set, only 50 of each made. Will post the set here in the next week.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:36 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I actually completed the 2020 boxtopper 55-card Greatest Moments set, only 50 of each made. Will post the set here in the next week.
Now that is a good one.

I opened an entire case of 2020 Heritage; 1971 Topps has long been a favorite set. Didn't even manage a full set from the case. No real good hits either, though I did end up with the full number of hits averaged for a case.

i appreciate that the nature of the variation is spelled out right next to the card number this year. Those tiny codes were killing my eyes.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-22-2020, 07:33 AM
Trevor Hocking

The 1971 design is very nice! For those who collect Heritage we know how truly hard it is to get good hits. The pack odds are very difficult.

The last set I was working on before I left cards was the 2006 set (1957) design. I loved the look but most important for we was the HOF players in the set were stacked. My guy before Griffey and my first guy I collected was Duke Snider and this set had a lot of tough cards for him plus autos for both Robinson’s Banks Berra Musial Ford. It was stacked for sure. But after two cases I realized how hard Heritage was to pull good cards from all the sp ouch. So I have recently picked it back up and have made some serious progress. So yes I collect Heritage like the pre war guys collect T206’s.

Last edited by snider4prez; 09-22-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:58 PM

I am looking forward to the 2021 set but with a little trepidation about the sheer number of inserts/variations/manufactured errors. But I do like the '72 design both front and back.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:43 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
I'd still like to see this if you get time.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:54 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I'd still like to see this if you get time.
I will get this up ASAP. Work finally slowing down.

There will be an extended series coming out around December I imagine.