NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-03-2021, 03:03 PM
Ryan Phi

Default 1960's Mets Shea Stadium Tickets - written by hand?

Hello,
Ive come across some late 1960s Mets tickets for Shea stadium that are completed by hand, for example the section, seat and date of the game. Was this common? Can these tickets even be authenticated to the correct game if they were filled in by hand? Most seem to use a ball-point pen. thanks.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:26 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I went to an early 90s KC Royals game with a ticket like that. Some sort of group discounted program. Not sure about the Mets.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:55 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
Can these tickets even be authenticated to the correct game if they were filled in by hand? Most seem to use a ball-point pen. thanks.
You know the answer to that question, and you also know that the opinion sellers would love for you to pay them.

May we see a picture?

Doug
Old 05-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Just wait for one with the actual date on it.

Written in ones have very little appeal, and very little re-sale value.

1960's Mets tickets are some of the most plentiful tickets out there. Be patient and persistent and you'll see your game again soon enough.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:47 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
You know the answer to that question, and you also know that the opinion sellers would love for you to pay them.

May we see a picture?

Doug
Correct, I thought I would double check though since many of you are far more advanced than I am. Maybe there was something I was missing. I attached a photo, although I have a few others but this one gives an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Just wait for one with the actual date on it.

Written in ones have very little appeal, and very little re-sale value.

1960's Mets tickets are some of the most plentiful tickets out there. Be patient and persistent and you'll see your game again soon enough.
Thank you. Good advice. Was the first time I had seen hand-written tickets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (72.0 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by philo98; 05-03-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:02 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

....or buy it, if cheap enough, as a placeholder until you find one that's dated.

I don't think PSA would slab that, but who knows, they'd slab a Walmart receipt if it made them money.

Scott might now better, and may chime in.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:52 PM
And.rew Whi.te

These are likely replacement tickets for lost tickets, perhaps from a season ticket holder.

When I worked for a MLB team they would issue replacement tickets to season ticket holders who lost their tickets. If the original tickets showed up which was usually someone who bought them off the street, the holder of the originals would be shown the door or encouraged to purchase another ticket as they had no rights to that seat for that game.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
... they'd slab a Walmart receipt if it made them money.
I love that quote.

And, I like that ticket, too. Good day for the Mets, with 2 wins vs the Expos.

I would be happy to find something like that in a scored program, and would prefer it to a printed ticket. But, I don't buy things for their resale value, so my tastes are different than some collectors.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 05-04-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:15 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I recall going to games at Shea where the genius friend I was with discovered that if you didn't like your seat you could go to a window somewhere and exchange your ticket for an equally priced seat in another section. Pointless, but I remember one game where we moved like 3 times. Pretty sure they gave you something with handwriting on it as your replacement ticket.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:16 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I went to a game at Shea in 1983 or 84. It had rained hard before game time and the section above was leaking down on our seats. Saturday day game so pretty packed, I asked Usher for some help, He asked us to be patient and he would get back to us before game started. A couple outs into first inning He comes back apologizes and sits us right behind home plate 4 rows up. And he had a pad that he filled our old and new seats on and handed them to us. Last time I had a handwritten ticket at shea. I will try and post..
Now Shea was a leaky old girl and a number of other patrons complained and were neither polite or patient with the usher. They sat with program over their heads as umbrella.
J
Old 05-06-2021, 01:19 PM
Doug Goodman

I bought a bunch of programs a few years ago that had belonged to a sportswriter, most of the Mets games had handwritten passes like this one :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1974-04-14-Mets-Phillies-press pass.jpg (72.9 KB, 147 views)
Old 05-06-2021, 02:54 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Nice Doug... The Star Ledger was the morning paper for north Jersey...back when folks read papers. And Ike was covered lots of Baseball as well as other sports. And he did a fine job of it. Whoever got his press passes got a treasure trove.. Yankees Dodgers Giants Mets, Giants Jets, Knicks Nets.. Cosmos..
They had a circulation over a million a day. So his Star Ledger credentials pulled some respect as did his reputation.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:17 PM
Doug Goodman

All of the programs I got were very well scored, and included not only his pass, but also clipping from his stories of the game.

I think I have 2 dozen of his programs with passes, 19 Mets games, 4 Yankees games and (weirdly) 1 game with the Giants visiting Dodger Stadium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969-09-26-Dodgers-Giants-press pass.jpg (73.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-09-2021, 08:25 AM
Don

I know one of the Mets tickets outlets did handwritten tickets. So I went thru my old scorecards. From 1976 to 1978 the A&S department store was an outlet. If I remember the procedure correctly you would give the person the date of the game you wanted to go to. They would call the Mets ticket office to find out what was available. Then they would write in what I decided on. It was a drawn out process if you wanted multiple games.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210509_095341.jpg (42.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-09-2021, 12:05 PM
Doug Goodman

Interesting, thanks for the picture.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:31 PM
Ti.m O'Don.ovan

This is a bank ticket. It is legitimate. In the late 1960s and early 1970s you could purchase Mets tickets from a Bank. In this case, Manufacturer's Hanover Trust. In other years, Chase Bank. The employees from the Bank would handwrite the information on the tickets and put in the date.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:08 PM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I recall going to games at Shea where the genius friend I was with discovered that if you didn't like your seat you could go to a window somewhere and exchange your ticket for an equally priced seat in another section. Pointless, but I remember one game where we moved like 3 times. Pretty sure they gave you something with handwriting on it as your replacement ticket.
Correct. My cousin and I would do this until we got seats we liked.

Mike
Old 05-27-2021, 10:43 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCARDS View Post
I know one of the Mets tickets outlets did handwritten tickets. So I went thru my old scorecards. From 1976 to 1978 the A&S department store was an outlet. If I remember the procedure correctly you would give the person the date of the game you wanted to go to. They would call the Mets ticket office to find out what was available. Then they would write in what I decided on. It was a drawn out process if you wanted multiple games.
Yes, I remember this as well with A&S, back in the early 70's at least. Some were pre-printed and stored in little cubbyholes as well. I'd guess the farther out from the game you bought the ticket, the more likley it was pre-printed.