NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

PSA charges $5K to grade high value cards? So it is in their best interest that their cards get record prices and those prices in turn raise the values on cards in general so they can charge more for grading them. Well, there's some motive for you to believe they could be in on the whole scheme with PWCC and Moser (and others). PWCC consistently gets them record prices way over current market values and PSA keeps feeding them high end cards to sell to get those record prices. Hmmmmm. It's late and I'm tired so forgive me if I'm way out of line here. Just thinking out loud I guess.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 PM
+0m J()rd@N

So what happens to all the 'altered' cards that have been identified? Do they get the Scarlet Letter - 'A' for Altered - stamped on them? Do they continue to reside in their current holders? I would assume that if (and I don't see this happening anytime soon) PSA buys back the cards, then would they regrade them with an 'Altered' designation on the flip. And sell them back into the market?

If so, what would keep someone from breaking one out and resubmitting? Maybe ruffing up the edges a bit and looking for a numerical grade?

I believe Operation Bullpen items got stamped and donated to kids (at least the bats and balls). I assume the paper items were destroyed.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 06-03-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:39 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.psacard.com/fees/

CARD AUTHENTICATION & GRADING
PREMIUM ELITE *$5000
Any card with a declared value of $100,000 or higher must be submitted at this service level.

PREMIUM PLUS *$3000
Maximum declared value of $99,999

PREMIUM *$1000
Maximum declared value of $24,999

WALK-THROUGH *$500
Maximum declared value of $9,999

SUPER EXPRESS *$200
Maximum declared value of $4,999

EXPRESS *$75
Maximum declared value of $1,999 and all T3s must be submitted at this service level or higher.

REGULAR *$20
Maximum declared value of $499

The really interesting thing is that not all cards are $50K cards or $1K cards. There is a wide mix of values of these cards. So if Moser or PWCC were submitting them properly, they would be in multiple orders all the way up and down this list. So the theory that 1 rogue grader would get all of Moser's submissions and pass the majority of those altered cards seems pretty shot. And the theory that this is only happening because of the 2018 grading backlog and the hiring of new employees this winter caused it, well many of the Certs found already were from 4+ years ago.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
So what happens to all the 'altered' cards that have been identified?
I asked that as one of about 100 questions I submitted for PWCC to answer in the Blowout thread in the Member Feedback section. I presume PSA will hold onto them currently in case the FBI comes knocking.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:46 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Here's a new wrinkle:
https://twitter.com/brentandbecca/st...22959170560000

Happened 10 years ago at a company that presumably gives out 9.5 grades, per the link. Basically, "Spend a bunch of money with us, and I can promise you great grades that get better over time." Brentandbecca is a card seller that busts hundreds of cases of product annually and sells sets and inserts/autographs from those online. Doesn't grade because he didn't like being promised grades.

This was mentioned in the thread about the former Beckett employee that is continually getting BGS 10 Black Labels on such a high percentage of his submissions that it would be statistically impossible. For those that think there is no discernible difference between a PSA 9 and 10, BGS scores cards on a 9, 9.5, 10 subgrade system in four different components: centering, surface, edges, and corners. If your card gets an average of 9.5 on those subgrades, it gets a 9.5 Gem Mint. If it has three 10 subgrades, and one 9.5, it gets a standard Pristine 10. If all four subgrades are BGS 10
"quality", it gets a Pristine 10 BLACK LABEL.

Brian Gray of Leaf Trading Cards, checkered history he has as well, currently employs the former Beckett employee, and intends to look into the submissions for any funny business. But an audit of BGS's process in giving out grades to customers is coming.

Last edited by swarmee; 06-04-2019 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

D304 Wagner 2.5 to 4.5

Now working to regain your trust.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=100

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
https://www.psacard.com/fees/

CARD AUTHENTICATION & GRADING
PREMIUM ELITE *$5000
Any card with a declared value of $100,000 or higher must be submitted at this service level.

PREMIUM PLUS *$3000
Maximum declared value of $99,999

PREMIUM *$1000
Maximum declared value of $24,999

WALK-THROUGH *$500
Maximum declared value of $9,999

SUPER EXPRESS *$200
Maximum declared value of $4,999

EXPRESS *$75
Maximum declared value of $1,999 and all T3s must be submitted at this service level or higher.

REGULAR *$20
Maximum declared value of $499

The really interesting thing is that not all cards are $50K cards or $1K cards. There is a wide mix of values of these cards. So if Moser or PWCC were submitting them properly, they would be in multiple orders all the way up and down this list. So the theory that 1 rogue grader would get all of Moser's submissions and pass the majority of those altered cards seems pretty shot. And the theory that this is only happening because of the 2018 grading backlog and the hiring of new employees this winter caused it, well many of the Certs found already were from 4+ years ago.
That is also one of the things that has stopped me from getting my more valuable cards graded.
My Mantle is likely worth anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 dollars but it would only take anyone of us or the TPG's about 30 seconds to determine that it is either going to get a PSA 1 or authentic grade?

I've never understood the higher fees for the more expensive cards. Do they actually spend more time evaluating them than they do less expensive cards, and if so, where is that line drawn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM1.jpg (78.0 KB, 754 views)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
That is also one of the things that has stopped me from getting my more valuable cards graded.
My Mantle is likely worth anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 dollars but it would only take anyone of us or the TPG's about 30 seconds to determine that it is either going to get a PSA 1 or authentic grade?

I've never understood the higher fees for the more expensive cards. Do they actually spend more time evaluating them than they do less expensive cards, and if so, where is that line drawn?
It's more a liability issue of having an expensive card in their possession and it getting lost or damaged. Do you insure your Yugo and your Ferrari for the same price?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-04-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Higher fees for more expensive stuff is pretty standard for authentications in other hobbies too.

If the expert is a real expert, the authenticity end of things can be very fast in a more informal setting. The guy who looked at a couple stamps for me at the 2006 international show took less than a minute for both. He didn't grade, but recommended getting a formal certificate for one but not the other. (One a fairly expensive and totally genuine stamp, the other an india paper proof that had been altered to appear to be the issued stamp (perforations added) a difference of a couple hundred at catalog value, and way more with the apparent centering. That centering was actually his first point against as they rarely come that well centered, and sell for multiples of catalog value.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Barry Sloate

I think the grading companies are well aware that they are minting money for their customers, so wouldn't these higher fees be more in line with "we're making a lot of money for you, therefore we want a piece of the action too."
Old 06-04-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
D304 Wagner 2.5 to 4.5

Now working to regain your trust.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=100
A true crime of the worst degree.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I think the grading companies are well aware that they are minting money for their customers, so wouldn't these higher fees be more in line with "we're making a lot of money for you, therefore we want a piece of the action too."
I think that's exactly right.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree.... Barry nailed it.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

I tend to agree with Barry as well as it makes no sense to me that I have to pay a higher grading fee just to protect my own card?

I would think they would have insurance in case something were to happen to my card, no?
Old 06-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I tend to agree with Barry as well as it makes no sense to me that I have to pay a higher grading fee just to protect my own card?

I would think they would have insurance in case something were to happen to my card, no?
That insurance would cost more the more value you have in the building.

If I'm grading cards, and you've sent in a nice 81 topps common... and I spill my coffee... I pretty much just pay you a few bucks for the wrecked card and maybe decide to not drink coffee at the desk. I probably don't even tell the ins co.

If you've sent me a Wagner... even a total rag of a card is what half a million?
If I tell the ins co that I'll regularly have a million + of other peoples stuff in the building at any time, they'll want a whole lot to insure that.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Scott Russell

I have 6 figures of consigned goods insurance costs me barely $1,000/ year
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-04-2019, 03:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Make an 8 into a 9. 1950 Otto Graham.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2496

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:

And makes tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands. That fake rough cut has been fooling PSA graders for years it seems.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:

What’s crazy is that he took a large slice off one side to make it centered and he KNEW it would get past the graders!
Old 06-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
What’s crazy is that he took a large slice off one side to make it centered and he KNEW it would get past the graders!
Evidently, a rough cut means a factory cut to all the graders at PSA.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
PSA charges $5K to grade high value cards? So it is in their best interest that their cards get record prices and those prices in turn raise the values on cards in general so they can charge more for grading them. Well, there's some motive for you to believe they could be in on the whole scheme with PWCC and Moser (and others). PWCC consistently gets them record prices way over current market values and PSA keeps feeding them high end cards to sell to get those record prices. Hmmmmm. It's late and I'm tired so forgive me if I'm way out of line here. Just thinking out loud I guess.
oh you're not out of line. In fact I think youve hit the bullseye. This is exactly what I feel has been happening way before this trimming and flipping PWCC scam has been proven. They are 50% there, IMHO. Maybe Brent Mastro will sing like a canary? I can't see that priss wanting to go to jail. He would not do well there. They would wipe that s*** eating grin right off his face in a hurry.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:44 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I prefer "this stupid" to which my answer is yes, yes, they are this stupid.
Newsflash!! Brent doesn't give a shit people....
Old 06-04-2019, 05:24 PM

I saw this posted somewhere else but what is PSA's tolerance for size of the card? I think it was 1/32 or 1/64 of an inch but can't find it. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:45 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I remember reading through the fake autograph thread a couple months ago with many people claiming “this is why I don’t buy autographs” etc. Also all the comments about PSA being the undisputed king for life. Figured at some point the graded card world would come crashing down to earth. Don’t get me wrong I dabble in autographs, raw and graded cards but I don’t/won’t pay huge premiums if a card is an 8 versus a 9 versus a 10. I’ve never understood the intrigue of the registry. Will be curious what this will all look like a year from now.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Newsflash!! Brent doesn't give a shit people....
It pains me to say it , but I agree with you on that.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
They charge more because if they screw up (like put a numerical grade on an altered card) they're on the hook to return more money if a buyer uses their guarantee.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Dennis Winters

Default whats next?

started with autographed cards....then high end (and lower) cards....and then autographs?

imagine if psa is this bad, how many fake autos are certed by them?

psa authentication is worthless.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Whether we want to admit it or not, this is where we are. NOWHERE!! I have been on the board for 10 years and the topics of Rick Probstein and Brent Huigens always, always, always keep coming up, since day one...And not a freaking thing gets done, period, end of story. This is a corrupt hobby, and the rich just keep on keepin on getting rich....We have thread after thread, but what in the Hell gets done? NOTHING Rick Probstein is the biggest dick in the Hobby, and he loves it....Brent is a chronic liar and he's used to it by now and laughs....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 06-04-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:13 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Kevin, part of me says you are probably right. But I’ve read on BO that folks are planning to distribute flyers at the National to get the word out and create an Altered Cert Number website to ensure items get removed from the Registry. That would be interesting especially if one of the insiders admits all their cards were altered in every submission, even where there is no “Before” picture.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I have 6 figures of consigned goods insurance costs me barely $1,000/ year
That's a pleasant surprise.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:58 AM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Recommended Reading

Anyone following this story should definitely read this recently revived post and PWCCs response:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...09#post1885409

The funny thing is when I first was reading this post, I thought it was brand new and a little behind the curve because it seemed to be referencing something that everyone already knows is going on.

Now I realize it was 2-years ahead of its time!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Kevin, part of me says you are probably right. But I’ve read on BO that folks are planning to distribute flyers at the National to get the word out and create an Altered Cert Number website to ensure items get removed from the Registry. That would be interesting especially if one of the insiders admits all their cards were altered in every submission, even where there is no “Before” picture.
some people are planning on giving away these cards at the National
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cards we'd like to see.jpg (32.6 KB, 779 views)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

VERY NICE! Have Scissorhands do some recoloring and trimming and you'll be around 15-20K. Send it in to brent mastro, he'll walk you through it.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
Advertisement as a whole not just one client...we have many SCL, PSA, Lelands, PWCC, Just Rip It, R & R, etc...all those combined make up 7%
So why did you reinstate PWCC ads on your website? Do you think they're a good company to be promoting after all you've seen recently?

Old 02-02-2023, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid54 View Post
From a pure business standpoint why would PWCC want to be linked to known card doctors who I believe are committing FRAUD?????? I think altering a card and misleading a potential buyer should be a punishable felony.
I disagree if a refund was given. Pwcc refunded all people who weren’t happy with their purchases. Nothing was ever sold as “not altered”. When you buy an expensive graded sportscard you should expect that is altered to some degree. So after a few people got upset, I spoke with Brent Huigens and agreed to buy back anything customers weren’t happy with.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Brent is not a victim of Moser, he's a co-conspirator. There's a reason why he only sells through Brent.
What proof do you have of this? Aren’t you an attorney for the MOB lol?
Old 02-02-2023, 07:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Correct. PSA's multiple failures are the bigger threat to the hobby.

This widespread problem transcends PWCC. As long as the "card modifiers" continue to dupe PSA, these issues can and will rear their ugly head potentially anywhere.... eBay, Auction Houses, net54's BST, direct sales, trades, etc.

And why can't PSA just measure the cards, again? Has there been any response from them at all? It will be interesting to see if they ever acknowledge it, and how much their attorneys spin/downplay it. The power they have within the hobby is disgusting and shameful, and I wish that someone, somehow, some day could take them down.
There is so much more to catching alterations than simply measuring a card. Psa is inept at catching alterations and also are suspected of backdooring grades.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
I’m not concerned about Brent staying in business. I’m concerned about him going to jail. You can worry about PSA.
Why does Brent deserve jail time? Wasn’t he selling an authenticated 3rd party asset? And to my knowledge anyone who was unhappy with their purchase was given a refund. So if no one got hurt financially where is the punishable crime? Half the people on here have done worse things than this.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Martin, you’re aware that trying to stop discussion about Brent’s fraud wouldn’t stop a criminal investigation, right? Just checking.
From what I’ve heard Jeffrey, you’re the one who needs to be investigated. I’d chill out on casting stones from your glass house. I know what you did and you’re a total piece of garbage. I’m not going to expose it here because it’s not my issue but you are a dispicable human and deserve to spend the rest of your days in a box.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:25 AM

Interesting thread bump, with 5 very provactive posts. Lots of new members on the board since the last post in July of 2019… this should be interesting.

I have only two comments/questions: (1) why on earth did you dig this up after 2.5 years? (2) I believe Jeff knows his stuff and is smart enough fully to comprehend what he posts on a public chat board.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 02-02-2023 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:26 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willjaimet View Post
I disagree if a refund was given. Pwcc refunded all people who weren’t happy with their purchases. Nothing was ever sold as “not altered”. When you buy an expensive graded sportscard you should expect that is altered to some degree. So after a few people got upset, I spoke with Brent Huigens and agreed to buy back anything customers weren’t happy with.
So are you someone who altered and sold a lot of those altered cards through PWCC? That is what your post sounds like so figured I would ask.

I do agree that the majority of high end sports cards are altered in some way, especially vintage cards.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Feels like Mastro and Allen all over again.
How does this compare? The Masteo issues were so much worse if he did what they accused him of. A true shill bid is when a seller knows how much a buyer is willing to pay and then bid him up which is 100% theft. Pwcc offered refunds and also it would have been impossible for them to truly shill people because eBay was in the middle hiding the bid amounts.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:44 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

How about putting your name on your posts?

Do you happen to work for Brent?
Old 02-02-2023, 07:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
How about putting your name on your posts?

Do you happen to work for Brent?
His full name is his ID. I have known Will, through the hobby, for many years...
Old 02-02-2023, 08:23 AM
pete ullman

https://www.sportscardradio.com/hero...up-break-scam/

not sure i'd want to do business with Will.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:30 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
From what I’ve heard Jeffrey, you’re the one who needs to be investigated. I’d chill out on casting stones from your glass house. I know what you did and you’re a total piece of garbage. I’m not going to expose it here because it’s not my issue but you are a dispicable human and deserve to spend the rest of your days in a box.

This is absolutely uncalled for

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2023, 08:54 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Why does Brent deserve jail time? Wasn’t he selling an authenticated 3rd party asset? And to my knowledge anyone who was unhappy with their purchase was given a refund. So if no one got hurt financially where is the punishable crime? Half the people on here have done worse things than this.
I only truthfully know of one...now.

Has PWCC contacted the buyers of your consignments and asked the buyers if they would like a refund as of yet? I could post the BODA Blowout thread if you would need help creating a list.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:09 AM
Rhett Yeakley

*grabs popcorn*

This is going to go well.

Why bump a 3 year old thread that wasn’t being discussed?

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 02-02-2023, 09:15 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Nobody really cares anymore. Opinions have been formed people have drawn their conclusions and that’s that The hobby/industry has moved on.

Next

Last edited by Johnny630; 02-02-2023 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:43 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default realated to Scott Jaimet?

Curious :-)