NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-01-2022, 06:03 PM
philliesfan philliesfan is offline
Robert J. Miller
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Philadelphia, Pa.
Posts: 1,514
Default Should I block this bidder?

I know almost everyone has dealt with idiot ebays at one time or another. Here is my latest.............
I have an item listed at $45.00. I made an offer of $39.00 to someone that had it on their watch list.
They countered at $25.00......ok no problem.
I countered with $35.00 and a note that said that was the best I could go.
They countered again....at $20.00. Yes $5.00 less than their first offer.
I am just so tempted to block them to avoid any hassles if they were to buy it.
Thanks,
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-01-2022, 06:31 PM
hockeyhockey hockeyhockey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 699
Default

if you're that concerned about it, then block the buyer. not worth your time to be hassled if you feel that way.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-01-2022, 07:21 PM
BobbyStrawberry's Avatar
BobbyStrawberry BobbyStrawberry is offline
♏︎™t✝️ℌǝɯ ♓︎ļĶℊℌ
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 1,507
Default

I would block, yes.
__________________
_
⚾️ Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-01-2022, 10:49 PM
NiceDocter NiceDocter is offline
Rocky Rockwell
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jacksonville , Florida
Posts: 736
Default not worth the hassle

Life is too short. Give em the block! I had a seller with an item priced at $599.... offered $400 (which was close to retail value)..... his response? A counteroffer of $598!!! haha no need to pursue this any further.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2022, 05:35 AM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
I know almost everyone has dealt with idiot ebays at one time or another. Here is my latest.............
I have an item listed at $45.00. I made an offer of $39.00 to someone that had it on their watch list.
They countered at $25.00......ok no problem.
I countered with $35.00 and a note that said that was the best I could go.
They countered again....at $20.00. Yes $5.00 less than their first offer.
I am just so tempted to block them to avoid any hassles if they were to buy it.
Thanks,
Bob
Definitely a douche move. Block.

Some buyers assume a seller is desperate if they make offers to buyers, so they try to push the price down further. Auto-decline weeds those idiots out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-2022, 08:10 AM
mrreality68's Avatar
mrreality68 mrreality68 is offline
Jeffrey Kuhr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I would block, yes.
+1 Agreed Block
__________________
Thanks all

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1917 Boston Store Babe Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
other Joe Jackson playing day cards
1925 Lou Gehrig Rookie Card
1908 Rose Postcard Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2022, 11:14 AM
philliesfan philliesfan is offline
Robert J. Miller
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Philadelphia, Pa.
Posts: 1,514
Default

thanks. That's what I figured. He is blocked.
Thanks,
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2022, 12:53 PM
gonefishin gonefishin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 319
Default

No doubt about it - block. I've blocked bidders for much less. I just don't want to deal with BS - too many other buyers out there.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-03-2022, 07:20 AM
nwobhm's Avatar
nwobhm nwobhm is offline
Chris Eberhart
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
I know almost everyone has dealt with idiot ebays at one time or another. Here is my latest.............
I have an item listed at $45.00. I made an offer of $39.00 to someone that had it on their watch list.
They countered at $25.00......ok no problem.
I countered with $35.00 and a note that said that was the best I could go.
They countered again....at $20.00. Yes $5.00 less than their first offer.
I am just so tempted to block them to avoid any hassles if they were to buy it.
Thanks,
Bob
You sent a potential buyer an unsolicited offer and didnít like the response so you blocked himÖ.. You gotta be kidding meÖ..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-2022, 08:03 AM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
You sent a potential buyer an unsolicited offer and didnít like the response so you blocked himÖ.. You gotta be kidding meÖ..
He sent an offer, the buyer countered, then countered again with a lower offer. Its a douchebag move.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-03-2022, 08:14 AM
nwobhm's Avatar
nwobhm nwobhm is offline
Chris Eberhart
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
He sent an offer, the buyer countered, then countered again with a lower offer. Its a douchebag move.
The douchebag move is blocking him after sending him offers he didn't request.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-03-2022, 09:19 AM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
The douchebag move is blocking him after sending him offers he didn't request.
EBay allows sellers to send offers to buyers, he did absolutely nothing wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-03-2022, 09:34 AM
D. Bergin's Avatar
D. Bergin D. Bergin is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 5,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
The douchebag move is blocking him after sending him offers he didn't request.
The only way you get offers is if you have something on your watch list. I hardly think that's "unsolicited".

I put items on my watch list, specifically hoping to get better offers from sellers sometimes. I "solicit" those offers, by putting them on my watch list to begin with.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-03-2022, 09:39 AM
nwobhm's Avatar
nwobhm nwobhm is offline
Chris Eberhart
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
EBay allows sellers to send offers to buyers, he did absolutely nothing wrong.
By that logic neither did the watcher. Ebay allows potential buyers to lower counteroffers.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-03-2022, 09:41 AM
Huysmans Huysmans is offline
Br.ent So.bie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,010
Default

Talk about overreacting....
He bid less while you both squabbled over pennies and it rubbed you the wrong way THAT MUCH?? Oversensitive maybe? I think you'll live...

It's safe to say that selling and dealing with customers isn't your forte, like most that sell on eBay... but it's your choice, so block away.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-03-2022, 09:49 AM
nwobhm's Avatar
nwobhm nwobhm is offline
Chris Eberhart
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
The only way you get offers is if you have something on your watch list. I hardly think that's "unsolicited".

I put items on my watch list, specifically hoping to get better offers from sellers sometimes. I "solicit" those offers, by putting them on my watch list to begin with.
Itís absolutely unsolicited. Being on a watch list doesnít mean someone wants to buy it. Many things on my watch list are overpriced items that I am curious to see if someone is stupid enough to pay the price. Many have been on there for years.

Ebay offers are fishing expeditions. 1 watcher is likely an unpopular and/or overpriced item.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-03-2022, 10:26 AM
Huysmans Huysmans is offline
Br.ent So.bie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
EBay allows sellers to send offers to buyers, he did absolutely nothing wrong.
Yeah, and eBay allows a potential buyer to counteroffer, so he did absolutely nothing wrong as well. It is a two-way street, no??
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-03-2022, 10:43 AM
D. Bergin's Avatar
D. Bergin D. Bergin is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 5,226
Default

LOL, nobody's getting arrested guys. He didn't get "cancelled". He's just getting blocked by a single seller. Who's oversensitive here?

Sometimes actions create consequences. Tiny....little....minuscule....consequences.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-03-2022, 11:03 AM
Huysmans Huysmans is offline
Br.ent So.bie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
LOL, nobody's getting arrested guys. He didn't get "cancelled". He's just getting blocked by a single seller. Who's oversensitive here?

Sometimes actions create consequences. Tiny....little....minuscule....consequences.
The seller is whining after sending an offer of a whopping $6 discount.
Talk about the deal of the century!!! How did the buyer not JUMP at that amazing saving???

And it's the seller here complaining, as well as wanting to block the person while the potential buyer isn't doing anything apparently other than counteroffering... so try living in reality.

It's easy to see who here in the comments are the oversensitive, whiny eBay sellers...lol

Can't take a counteroffer??? Get lost and don't sell, and save everyone from the offended, hurt little girl act.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-03-2022, 11:06 AM
D. Bergin's Avatar
D. Bergin D. Bergin is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 5,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
The seller is whining after sending an offer of a whopping $6 discount.
Talk about the deal of the century!!! How did the buyer not JUMP at that amazing saving???

And it's the seller here complaining, as well as wanting to block the person while the potential buyer isn't doing anything apparently other than counteroffering... so try living in reality.

It's easy to see who here in the comments are the oversensitive, whiny eBay sellers...lol

Can't take a counteroffer??? Get lost and don't sell, and save everyone from the offended, hurt little girl act.

LOL, I didn't block the guy. Hope you feel better now. Damn.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-03-2022, 11:16 AM
hockeyhockey hockeyhockey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
The seller is whining after sending an offer of a whopping $6 discount.
Talk about the deal of the century!!! How did the buyer not JUMP at that amazing saving???

And it's the seller here complaining, as well as wanting to block the person while the potential buyer isn't doing anything apparently other than counteroffering... so try living in reality.

It's easy to see who here in the comments are the oversensitive, whiny eBay sellers...lol

Can't take a counteroffer??? Get lost and don't sell, and save everyone from the offended, hurt little girl act.
i thought canadians were supposed to be all relaxed and kind? you're probably a leafs fan, so your angst is understandable
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-03-2022, 11:29 AM
Huysmans Huysmans is offline
Br.ent So.bie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
i thought canadians were supposed to be all relaxed and kind? you're probably a leafs fan, so your angst is understandable
And I thought Americans had common sense, and could conduct themselves like grown men and actually HANDLE something as simple as a counteroffer without being hurt and needing to block someone and vent here... I guess we all learn new things everyday.

While I'm not a Leafs supporter, I'm betting they're still better than your team
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-03-2022, 11:45 AM
hockeyhockey hockeyhockey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
And I thought Americans had common sense, and could conduct themselves like grown men and actually HANDLE something as simple as a counteroffer without being hurt and needing to block someone and vent here... I guess we all learn new things everyday.

While I'm not a Leafs supporter, I'm betting they're still better than your team
i'm getting a habs fan vibe. even better

my bruins are headed to the abyss, but was a good run.

as for the other stuff, if someone wants to block someone, so be it.
there's a lot of aggressive behavior everywhere these days - just
thought you were a little unnecessarily over the top. but just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-03-2022, 01:13 PM
Huysmans Huysmans is offline
Br.ent So.bie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
i'm getting a habs fan vibe. even better

my bruins are headed to the abyss, but was a good run.

as for the other stuff, if someone wants to block someone, so be it.
there's a lot of aggressive behavior everywhere these days - just
thought you were a little unnecessarily over the top. but just my opinion.
If the Habs were my team, I'd definitely have a LOT more to complain about.

And I love the city of Boston and the Bruins, other than the absolute worst "homer" announcers in the sport.

Finally, someone going out of there way to complain here about such a minor thing on Bay I felt was a major overreaction..... the OP asked for opinions, and I gave mine, so we can agree to disagree... Go Beantowners
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-03-2022, 01:30 PM
hockeyhockey hockeyhockey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
If the Habs were my team, I'd definitely have a LOT more to complain about.

And I love the city of Boston and the Bruins, other than the absolute worst "homer" announcers in the sport.

Finally, someone going out of there way to complain here about such a minor thing on Bay I felt was a major overreaction..... the OP asked for opinions, and I gave mine, so we can agree to disagree... Go Beantowners
fair enough. now i'm off to go block you on ebay.



cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-03-2022, 07:01 PM
philliesfan philliesfan is offline
Robert J. Miller
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Philadelphia, Pa.
Posts: 1,514
Default

OK To get one thing straight.....I could care less about the offers being too low or whatever. My point is that if I should block him because he could be a potential headache of a buyer. If he had no interest in my offer he could have just declined and moved on. Instead he lowers his previous offer?

Again, I perceive him as a potential headache if he makes a purchase which prompted me to ask the question.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-03-2022, 07:03 PM
philliesfan philliesfan is offline
Robert J. Miller
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Philadelphia, Pa.
Posts: 1,514
Default

Wow. Usually threads I start don't get this much attention or responses.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-03-2022, 08:11 PM
BobbyStrawberry's Avatar
BobbyStrawberry BobbyStrawberry is offline
♏︎™t✝️ℌǝɯ ♓︎ļĶℊℌ
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 1,507
Default

FWIW IMO Bob did absolutely nothing wrong and NOT blocking this person is just inviting trouble. Selling on eBay is enough of a PITA as it is...
__________________
_
⚾️ Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-03-2022, 09:21 PM
BobC BobC is offline
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
OK To get one thing straight.....I could care less about the offers being too low or whatever. My point is that if I should block him because he could be a potential headache of a buyer. If he had no interest in my offer he could have just declined and moved on. Instead he lowers his previous offer?

Again, I perceive him as a potential headache if he makes a purchase which prompted me to ask the question.
First off, the proper phrase is "I COULDN'T care less", using COULD is incorrect.

Secondly, YOU initiated the negotiation, not the potential Buyer/Watcher. Huysmans and nwobhm are on the money with their responses, putting something on a watch list is definitely NOT a formal, or otherwise, request for an offer to be made or to start a negotiation. I for one put lots of things on my watch list all the time to see what, if any, interest they may create, and how much a particular item might end up selling for. I have never put anything on a watch list with the intent of that somehow soliciting an offer from a seller. I would think most normal buyers with at least half a brain would simply send a message to a seller about their listed item if they were that interested in buying it and wanted to start a negotiation.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but a Seller can only make such a discount offer to potential Buyers if they haven't gotten a single bid on their item yet, correct? In that case, to a potential Buyer/Watcher receiving such an offer it may come across as a bit of a panic move on the part of the Seller to suddenly drop their price to sell something they're now fearful no one is going to buy at even their opening bid amount. Certainly raises the question to potential Buyers of why didn't the Seller just list their item with a "Make an Offer" option to begin with, and likely puts the Seller in a weaker negotiating position to start because now the potential Buyer/Watcher knows that Seller is even more motivated to sell their item for less than their asking price. So even when you come back and counteroffer, and say that is as low as you'll go, you've already demonstrated you don't necessarily mean that. Otherwise, why didn't you just list the item with the "Make an Offer" option to start? It is possible that by coming back with an even lower counteroffer, the potential Buyer/Watcher was trying to convey that the offer they initially made was their best offer, and were now hoping you would be even more fearful of not selling the item, and thus possibly lower your price further to accept what they originally offered.

So when the potential Buyer/Seller uses a technique like offering a lower amount to negotiate back, what makes make you suddenly and automatically think and be so certain they would be a problem Buyer just because of how they negotiated? For all you know, they could have even intended to counteroffer $30, and accidently made a typo they didn't realize. Or the potential Buyer/Watcher could be a dealer that needs to acquire things a certain percentage below market. Whatever the reason(s), was this potential Buyer/Watcher discourteous or insulting in their communications to you at all? And if not, I again ask why you feel such a need to put them down for how they may try to negotiate on an item that YOU started the negotiations on, not them.

One last question for you then. Are you really this mad and upset with this potential Buyer/Watcher, or are you possibly more mad and upset with yourself for possibly overvaluing what you thought the item you were selling was worth and would sell for?

Whether you block this person or not is totally up to you. Just some additional thoughts/perspectives you may not have considered.

Last edited by BobC; 10-03-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-04-2022, 10:05 AM
philliesfan philliesfan is offline
Robert J. Miller
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Philadelphia, Pa.
Posts: 1,514
Default

First off, I could care less for your opinion. OopsÖ.Couldnít care less. But thank you for the English lesson. As the husband of a teacher I should have known that.
Well, when you think about it, maybe could care less may also be correct. As inÖ.I could care less about something but I donít.
Anyway, Yes I initiated the negotiation but he ACCEPTED my negotiations with a counter offer. So with his offer it is no longer unsolicited. Technically you could say his offer to me was unsolicited because I did not ask him for a counter offer. I simply made him an offer to accept or decline.
I also put items on my watch list for different reasons. If they make me an offer I may accept, counter, or ignore. But never counter and counter again with a lower amount because I donít want them to think I could be a potential problem.
You are correct that one can only make offer to a potential buyer if there are no bids. You say he may interpret my negotiations as a panic move. Well I interpret his negotiations as a potential problem buyer. So what you are saying is that it is ok for him to interpret my motives but not ok for me to interpret his? We both could be right, we could both be wrong.
And yes maybe he intended the second offer to be $30.00 with a typo. However, giving him your best price on an item and for him to make an offer lower than that still makes me think he could be a problem.
I am not mad, upset, hurt or anything of the sort with his negotiations or thinking I overvalue my items. My whole point is if this buyer was a potential problem which I believe he could be. I would rather not have a sale than to have any headaches of return, refunds, partial refunds or whatever.
And for the record, I do respect all everyoneís opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-04-2022, 10:21 AM
jthorst75 jthorst75 is offline
Jason
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Beaverton
Posts: 705
Default

This reminds of an issue I ran into recently. I was buying parts for my Honda on ebay. I noticed the seller had a best offer option so I made a lower cash offer. It was automatically declined so I came up a bit; once again declined. I had one offer left so I asked the seller what they were thinking on the price. They got offended and blocked me as a buyer. Confused, I asked them what the deal was but they took my offer so personally that there was no talking them off the ledge. I would've paid their full price but if the seller offers the option for me to make an offer than why take any offer given personally? They don't have to accept my offer but maybe, just maybe give the buyer an idea of the seller's price in mind and work from there. This is why Ebay allows multiple chances to offer. The situation sucked because they had the part I needed and no one else in this country did. The seller had a huge feedback score and a 100% at that so it seemed strange that they never ran into a lower offer???
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-04-2022, 01:00 PM
BobC BobC is offline
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
First off, I could care less for your opinion. Oops….Couldn’t care less. But thank you for the English lesson. As the husband of a teacher I should have known that.
Well, when you think about it, maybe could care less may also be correct. As in….I could care less about something but I don’t.
Anyway, Yes I initiated the negotiation but he ACCEPTED my negotiations with a counter offer. So with his offer it is no longer unsolicited. Technically you could say his offer to me was unsolicited because I did not ask him for a counter offer. I simply made him an offer to accept or decline.
I also put items on my watch list for different reasons. If they make me an offer I may accept, counter, or ignore. But never counter and counter again with a lower amount because I don’t want them to think I could be a potential problem.
You are correct that one can only make offer to a potential buyer if there are no bids. You say he may interpret my negotiations as a panic move. Well I interpret his negotiations as a potential problem buyer. So what you are saying is that it is ok for him to interpret my motives but not ok for me to interpret his? We both could be right, we could both be wrong.
And yes maybe he intended the second offer to be $30.00 with a typo. However, giving him your best price on an item and for him to make an offer lower than that still makes me think he could be a problem.
I am not mad, upset, hurt or anything of the sort with his negotiations or thinking I overvalue my items. My whole point is if this buyer was a potential problem which I believe he could be. I would rather not have a sale than to have any headaches of return, refunds, partial refunds or whatever.
And for the record, I do respect all everyone’s opinion.
That is very interesting, because when you started this thread that is exactly what you did, you asked people for their opinions. Oh, and your request for opinions was unsolicited by those who responded. So now I get it, you weren't really honestly asking for people's opinions at all, were you? You were just posting and looking for people to validate you and a decision you had probably already made, so you could feel better about yourself and what you decided? Hmmmmm, interesting!!!!!

And when people do respond to your unsolicited requests, it seems in your mind that somehow absolves you from being the one who started this whole thing to begin with? Sadly, this is almost the same thing you pulled on the potential Buyer/Watcher who responded to your unsolicited offer to start this all off. I'm guessing that you may not really have wanted any alternate opinions, or a negotiation of price, at all. And if not in either case, why did YOU initiate things in both instances to begin with then? What's the old saying, "Be careful what you ask for, because you might just get it!". If the people YOU are approaching don't respond in almost exactly the way you want or expect, so what, why get all worked up and upset about it?

This now appears to be a second recent instance of you taking offense at the way someone responds to you, over something you initiated, started, and ASKED for responses to. In which case it could make some observers liken it to a blossoming behavioral pattern. I had originally just offered some alternate thoughts and perspectives on your issue, and had not judged or condemned you at all. However, as it seems I come across in dealing with almost everybody here on this forum when there is a disagreement of opinion, I go out of my way to try and present facts and logical theories and arguments, and respond to and answer all questions posed. Yet appallingly, I rarely, if ever, get the courtesy of a similar reaction and response to my questions. So let me try asking this once again. Why exactly does a potential Buyer's/Watcher's response to YOUR unsolicited offer, and their negotiation technique in response, suddenly and automatically make them a bad buyer, needful of blocking?

And please don't say it is because you have a gut feeling, because that is really no answer at all. If that is the case though, then you need to ask yourself what is the real reason behind such a gut feeling to begin with.

And as for the improper use of that phrase, yes, there are instances where you could appropriately have used the word COULD instead of COULDN'T, except in the context and meaning of how you used it, that is not one of those instances. Ask your wife if you don't believe me.

Last edited by BobC; 10-04-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-04-2022, 01:36 PM
BobC BobC is offline
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
This reminds of an issue I ran into recently. I was buying parts for my Honda on ebay. I noticed the seller had a best offer option so I made a lower cash offer. It was automatically declined so I came up a bit; once again declined. I had one offer left so I asked the seller what they were thinking on the price. They got offended and blocked me as a buyer. Confused, I asked them what the deal was but they took my offer so personally that there was no talking them off the ledge. I would've paid their full price but if the seller offers the option for me to make an offer than why take any offer given personally? They don't have to accept my offer but maybe, just maybe give the buyer an idea of the seller's price in mind and work from there. This is why Ebay allows multiple chances to offer. The situation sucked because they had the part I needed and no one else in this country did. The seller had a huge feedback score and a 100% at that so it seemed strange that they never ran into a lower offer???
Good point(s)! And exactly why in the OP's case it was he who started and initiated the negotiation process. As a Seller on Ebay, he should know that when he makes an offer like that to someone who is watching one of his listings, that offer automatically includes the "Make an Offer" option back to him by the potential Buyer/Watcher. Therefore, it most definitely is the start of a negotiation process when he originally sent that offer, whether the Seller intended it to be or not. Why get upset and mad at a potential Buyer/Watcher if that is what your Ebay options limit it you to, and you don't like any of them?

If he truly didn't want to negotiate the price, why didn't he just cancel the auction, or wait till it possibly ran its course with no bidders, and then just relist the item with a BIN or initial auction price of the $35 he said he was willing to take? And if he says he was operating that way to try and sell his item for as much as possible, over his acceptable lowest price, that is great and perfectly fine. But then he shouldn't complain and against someone who is trying on their end to purchase an item for as little as reasonably possible either. Why is he right, and they're automatically wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-04-2022, 02:40 PM
philliesfan philliesfan is offline
Robert J. Miller
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Philadelphia, Pa.
Posts: 1,514
Default

That is very interesting, because when you started this thread that is exactly what you did, you asked people for their opinions. Yes I did. Oh, and your request for opinions was unsolicited by those who responded. They were solicited as I asked for responses. So now I get it, (no you really donít) you weren't really honestly asking for people's opinions at all, were you? Yes I was. You were just posting and looking for people to validate you and a decision you had probably already made, so you could feel better about yourself and what you decided? Nope. Hmmmmm, interesting!!!!!

And when people do respond to your unsolicited requests, it seems in your mind that somehow absolves you from being the one who started this whole thing to begin with? Sadly, this is almost the same thing you pulled on the potential Buyer/Watcher who responded to your unsolicited offer to start this all off. I'm guessing that you may not really have wanted any alternate opinions, or a negotiation of price, at all. And if not in either case, why did YOU initiate things in both instances to begin with then? What's the old saying, "Be careful what you ask for, because you might just get it!". If the people YOU are approaching don't respond in almost exactly the way you want or expect, so what, why get all worked up and upset about it? I have no idea where you get the idea I am all worked up over it or upset about it. I couldnít care less. I was just wondering if others here saw it as a potential problem. I got answers for both points of view which I do appreciate.

This now appears to be a second recent instance of you taking offense at the way someone responds to you, over something you initiated, started, and ASKED for responses to. In which case it could make some observers liken it to a blossoming behavioral pattern. Now that is funny. I had originally just offered some alternate thoughts and perspectives on your issue, and had not judged or condemned you at all. No you did not, nor did I of you. However, as it seems I come across in dealing with almost everybody here on this forum when there is a disagreement of opinion, I go out of my way to try and present facts and logical theories and arguments, and respond to and answer all questions posed. I listened to your responses and Yet appallingly, I rarely, if ever, get the courtesy of a similar reaction and response to my questions. So let me try asking this once again. Why exactly does a potential Buyer's/Watcher's response to YOUR unsolicited offer, and their negotiation technique in response, suddenly and automatically make them a bad buyer, needful of blocking? In negotiations, the seller has a starting point to make the sale and the buyer has his starting point to make a purchase. Normally, a seller comes down in price and the buyer goes up in price eventually meeting around halfway. Thatís the normal process for negotiations.

And please don't say it is because you have a gut feeling, because that is really no answer at all. If that is the case though, then you need to ask yourself what is the real reason behind such a gut feeling to begin with.

And as for the improper use of that phrase, yes, there are instances where you could appropriately have used the word COULD instead of COULDN'T, except in the context and meaning of how you used it, that is not one of those instances. Ask your wife if you don't believe me. What! Ask my wife? So she can be right again! Ugh. I donít need that. Iíll take your for it.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-04-2022, 03:09 PM
gonefishin gonefishin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 319
Default

First off, the proper phrase is "I COULDN'T care less", using COULD is incorrect.

So when the potential Buyer/Seller uses a technique like offering a lower amount to negotiate back, what makes make you suddenly and automatically think and be so certain they would be a problem Buyer just because of how they negotiated?

Would all parties please report to the principal's office!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-04-2022, 03:32 PM
timzcardz timzcardz is offline
T!M R10rd@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 942
Default

Yes, block him, be done with it, and sleep peacefully.
__________________
Collector of all things Ripken, Yankees, 1958.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-04-2022, 08:33 PM
BobC BobC is offline
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
That is very interesting, because when you started this thread that is exactly what you did, you asked people for their opinions. Yes I did. Oh, and your request for opinions was unsolicited by those who responded. They were solicited as I asked for responses. So now I get it, (no you really donít) you weren't really honestly asking for people's opinions at all, were you? Yes I was. You were just posting and looking for people to validate you and a decision you had probably already made, so you could feel better about yourself and what you decided? Nope. Hmmmmm, interesting!!!!!

And when people do respond to your unsolicited requests, it seems in your mind that somehow absolves you from being the one who started this whole thing to begin with? Sadly, this is almost the same thing you pulled on the potential Buyer/Watcher who responded to your unsolicited offer to start this all off. I'm guessing that you may not really have wanted any alternate opinions, or a negotiation of price, at all. And if not in either case, why did YOU initiate things in both instances to begin with then? What's the old saying, "Be careful what you ask for, because you might just get it!". If the people YOU are approaching don't respond in almost exactly the way you want or expect, so what, why get all worked up and upset about it? I have no idea where you get the idea I am all worked up over it or upset about it. I couldnít care less. I was just wondering if others here saw it as a potential problem. I got answers for both points of view which I do appreciate.

This now appears to be a second recent instance of you taking offense at the way someone responds to you, over something you initiated, started, and ASKED for responses to. In which case it could make some observers liken it to a blossoming behavioral pattern. Now that is funny. I had originally just offered some alternate thoughts and perspectives on your issue, and had not judged or condemned you at all. No you did not, nor did I of you. However, as it seems I come across in dealing with almost everybody here on this forum when there is a disagreement of opinion, I go out of my way to try and present facts and logical theories and arguments, and respond to and answer all questions posed. I listened to your responses and Yet appallingly, I rarely, if ever, get the courtesy of a similar reaction and response to my questions. So let me try asking this once again. Why exactly does a potential Buyer's/Watcher's response to YOUR unsolicited offer, and their negotiation technique in response, suddenly and automatically make them a bad buyer, needful of blocking? In negotiations, the seller has a starting point to make the sale and the buyer has his starting point to make a purchase. Normally, a seller comes down in price and the buyer goes up in price eventually meeting around halfway. Thatís the normal process for negotiations.

And please don't say it is because you have a gut feeling, because that is really no answer at all. If that is the case though, then you need to ask yourself what is the real reason behind such a gut feeling to begin with.

And as for the improper use of that phrase, yes, there are instances where you could appropriately have used the word COULD instead of COULDN'T, except in the context and meaning of how you used it, that is not one of those instances. Ask your wife if you don't believe me. What! Ask my wife? So she can be right again! Ugh. I donít need that. Iíll take your for it.
So what if the potential Buyer/Seller doesn't negotiate the way you like, or normally expect? Is there some law I'm unaware of that says they have to? I'm just trying to figure out what your reason is for thinking you have to ban them, and to this point you still really haven't answered that question. The only thing I have been able to take away from everything you've said so far is that for some reason you think this person is possibly a bad buyer because you apparently don't like the way they negotiated with you. But you haven't stated that exactly, and I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm just trying to understand how a person's negotiation technique possibly equates to how good (or bad) of a buyer they'd be.

What I have been able to get out of you is that this person did not act as you would normally act were you in their place, in regard to how they negotiate, and that is about it. If that is the underlying reasoning, and you have a natural distrust for dealing with those that may think or act differently than you in some aspects, so be it. Was just trying to understand where you were coming from. Though you downplayed possibly being mad or upset with this individual, the fact is they still got under your skin enough to prompt you to start a thread about it. So it seems you must have had some internal conflicts about what to do after all. I was merely offering some other points of view and perspectives to possibly help you see things from both sides, and better allow you to make the right decision for yourself. I was not expecting to be told my opinion doesn't matter to you though, just because it was not what you may have wanted to hear, or expected. But clearly I am not the sole person having or suggesting a somewhat different perspective and response to what you've apparently already decided. Good luck with the sale of your item. Hopefully you'll get some bidders bumping the price up over what you expected.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-04-2022, 08:58 PM
philliesfan philliesfan is offline
Robert J. Miller
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Philadelphia, Pa.
Posts: 1,514
Default

OK in brief, I thought his negotiation process in lowering his previous offer was not typical of how negotiations work so I was confused by this and figured he may be a problem.
I was not sure and that is why I started the thread. I heard opinions from both sides which is appreciated and what I asked for.

When I said your opinion does not matter to me was an attempt at humor. Yes it was. I used the could / couldn't comment in my response of your correcting my English and having an opposing point of view. That is why at the end of my comment I stated that I respect everyone's opinion. I thought you may have realized that.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-08-2022, 11:19 AM
Directly Directly is offline
Tom Re.bert
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 605
Default No pay

I do ban tire kickers who purchase items and after I try to communicate within 4 days asking if they still want the item then they don't have the curiosity to advise either way, I write them off!--NO PAY is now a common problem on eBay --

Last edited by Directly; 10-08-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-10-2022, 05:38 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 3,112
Default

  1. Was this an auction or a Buy It Now listing?
  2. If the OP was willing to take $25, he would have simply accepted that offer. The "buyer" offering $20 later in the process doesn't really make sense. The seller didn't accept a higher offer, so why send a lower one?
  3. Sellers on eBay have a "Tasks" section of their seller page. Within that section, there's a "Suggested actions" item. Some people, myself included, will routinely clear this by sending offers.
  4. Buyers shouldn't get offended because the offer they got was "unsolicited" and/or not a steep enough discount. Someone offered to sell something cheaper than it was before. $45 to $39 is a discount of 13.33% That doesn't seem like a valid cause for angst.
  5. The seller then went down to $35, a total discount of 22.22% Again, this doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to have done.

Candidly, I would have blocked the buyer, too. The unconventional negotiating "tactic" makes no sense to me. If I wasn't going to take $25 for that, why would I take $20? If it was a typo, then I've lost a customer...a tire-kicker who apparently loves to spend time haggling and doesn't spend time making sure they've typed their two-digit offer correctly.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (127/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (183/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 10-10-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-10-2022, 09:33 PM
BobC BobC is offline
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
  1. Was this an auction or a Buy It Now listing?
  2. If the OP was willing to take $25, he would have simply accepted that offer. The "buyer" offering $20 later in the process doesn't really make sense. The seller didn't accept a higher offer, so why send a lower one?
  3. Sellers on eBay have a "Tasks" section of their seller page. Within that section, there's a "Suggested actions" item. Some people, myself included, will routinely clear this by sending offers.
  4. Buyers shouldn't get offended because the offer they got was "unsolicited" and/or not a steep enough discount. Someone offered to sell something cheaper than it was before. $45 to $39 is a discount of 13.33% That doesn't seem like a valid cause for angst.
  5. The seller then went down to $35, a total discount of 22.22% Again, this doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to have done.

Candidly, I would have blocked the buyer, too. The unconventional negotiating "tactic" makes no sense to me. If I wasn't going to take $25 for that, why would I take $20? If it was a typo, then I've lost a customer...a tire-kicker who apparently loves to spend time haggling and doesn't spend time making sure they've typed their two-digit offer correctly.
I can understand that logic more if the potential buyer approached the seller first and initiated the contact. But not when the seller started it. It is hilarious how some people can only see this from one side of the story, and if it isn't from their side, the party they started the negotiation with must automatically be bad and worthy of blocking. Un-effing-believable!!!!!!

Truth seems to be we don't really know the complete other side of the story as I don't believe the OP ever asked the other party why they came back with an even lower price offer. I had already wondered if it was possibly a typo and they meant to type $30. I don't know, and apparently neither does anyone else. But if some people want to rush to judgements without knowing the full story from both sides, so be it.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-10-2022, 10:32 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 3,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I can understand that logic more if the potential buyer approached the seller first and initiated the contact. But not when the seller started it. It is hilarious how some people can only see this from one side of the story, and if it isn't from their side, the party they started the negotiation with must automatically be bad and worthy of blocking. Un-effing-believable!!!!!!

Truth seems to be we don't really know the complete other side of the story as I don't believe the OP ever asked the other party why they came back with an even lower price offer. I had already wondered if it was possibly a typo and they meant to type $30. I don't know, and apparently neither does anyone else. But if some people want to rush to judgements without knowing the full story from both sides, so be it.
Bob,

I'm not sure anyone will ever know the full story from both sides. Absent complete information, those who have discussed the topic up to this point have likely filled in the information gaps through their own individual paradigms.

In my particular case, personal experience has likely colored my opinion. I've been selling on eBay for 20+ years. During that time, I've occasionally dealt with would-be scammers. Along the way, I've made a few observations. Among these, I've noticed that scammers often exhibit odd behavior. Although this isn't always the case, and they don't always provide the luxury of revealing this before making a purchase, I've had more than a few instances of "...should have seen this coming, the signs were there..."

So yes, some people rush to judgment. Since you were quoting me as you made that statement, it is reasonable to surmise you've drawn that conclusion about me. I understand why one might rush to that judgment. If they didn't know I've spent two decades forming my opinion of odd eBay buyers, they wouldn't possibly have the full story.

This has been quite an interesting thread. What surprises me most is the amount of apparent passion from many of the people posting. I would not have expected this by simply reading the original post.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (127/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (183/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-11-2022, 01:37 AM
BobC BobC is offline
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Bob,

I'm not sure anyone will ever know the full story from both sides. Absent complete information, those who have discussed the topic up to this point have likely filled in the information gaps through their own individual paradigms.

In my particular case, personal experience has likely colored my opinion. I've been selling on eBay for 20+ years. During that time, I've occasionally dealt with would-be scammers. Along the way, I've made a few observations. Among these, I've noticed that scammers often exhibit odd behavior. Although this isn't always the case, and they don't always provide the luxury of revealing this before making a purchase, I've had more than a few instances of "...should have seen this coming, the signs were there..."

So yes, some people rush to judgment. Since you were quoting me as you made that statement, it is reasonable to surmise you've drawn that conclusion about me. I understand why one might rush to that judgment. If they didn't know I've spent two decades forming my opinion of odd eBay buyers, they wouldn't possibly have the full story.

This has been quite an interesting thread. What surprises me most is the amount of apparent passion from many of the people posting. I would not have expected this by simply reading the original post.
Eric,

I understand where different people can be coming from, and at least you have said that you have had personal experiences that affect your own opinion on this topic, and I can respect that. I just didn't understand why the others are so quick to vote to ban this person because of their possible way of negotiating. Nobody was really giving any solid meaningful reasons, aside from basically the person didn't seem right or normal somehow. What I don't see is the correlation between how one negotiates or barters, and what that has to do with what kind of buyer they're going to be.

Think of it like this, a guy's walking down the sidewalk next to a used car dealer, just minding his own business and looking at the cars as he's walking by. All of a sudden a salesman runs up to him and grabs him and says come on, I'll make you a special deal on one of the cars I saw you looking at as you walked by. The guy walking by goes along just to not make a scene. So the salesman drags him over to a red sporty car marked $5K, and says to the guy I can let you have it for today for $4,200. The guy, who really wasn't initially interested in actually buying the car, figures OK, he'll offer a price where he actually would consider buying the car, and gives the salesman his top offer, $3,500. Well, the salesman quickly thinks to himself there's no way he'll let that car go that cheap, but instead of just thanking the guy for at least listening to him and letting him go on his way, he comes back and pushes at the guy some more to still try make a sale. And this time it is with another even lower offer of just $4K, but with the salesman now telling the guy that is his final lowest offer, take it or leave it. So now the guy is perturbed and thinking, he wasn't that interested in the car to begin with, and he already made this salesman his best offer, which he doesn't want to take. Instead, he got a lower counteroffer and ultimatum thrown back in his face by the salesman, who can't take a hint and is still trying to push a deal. So the guy thinks, how can he get his position across to the salesman? He just wants to get this over with, but since the salesman is still pushing to make a sale, he wonders if maybe he drops his offer even lower, the salesman may be desperate enough to sell and comes back to see if the guy will take the car for his original offer price of $3,500 after all. So the guy counters back at the salesman with a $3,200 offer, figuring the salesman will either lower his asking price again, or realize he isn't getting what he wants for the car from this guy, and finally terminate the negotiating. And of course, finally let the guy continue walking on his way on the sidewalk. Except the salesman has a screw loose and gets upset with the guy not agreeing with what he thinks is such great deal, and daring to negotiate back against him. So he tells the guy that he made the offer to, to get off his used car lot and don't ever come back, or he'll call the cops on him trespassing. Even though it was the salesman that dragged the guy onto his car lot to listen to his deal to begin with. Then a month or two later, the guy ends up finding a similar car, at a different dealership, asking about what he was willing to pay for such a car in the first place when talking to the salesman that has now banned him. So he cuts this new dealership a check for the full amount they wanted, and drives away a happy owner, while the dealership gladly deposits his check in their bank. And then take a story like that to Reddit's "Am I The A$$hole" site and see who the majority over there sides with.

Now take the "car" that was being sold in my example, and add a "d" to the end of it to make it a "card" that was being sold instead..........................

Last edited by BobC; 10-11-2022 at 01:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-11-2022, 09:52 AM
philliesfan philliesfan is offline
Robert J. Miller
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Philadelphia, Pa.
Posts: 1,514
Default

Bob C. - Here is another version of your story.
Think of it like this, a guy's walking down the sidewalk next to a used car dealer, just minding his own business and looking at the cars as he's walking by. All of a sudden a salesman thinks he will help this guy out by offering a lower price than he was asking. So the red sporty car marked $5K is offered for $4,200.
The guy figures OK, since I am interested, I will offer a price where he could steal it from the salesman and offers $3,500.
Well, the salesman thinks to himself there's no way he is able let that car be stolen that cheap, so in his kind heart he lowers it one last time and lets the gentleman know he cannot go any lower.
So now the guy is perturbed that he can't steal it. And thinks the salesman may be desperate enough to sell at any cost and completely rip off the salesman and comes back with a paltry offer price of $3,200.00
Confused by the buyer and realizing that the potential buyer may have a screw loose and does not want any possible aggravation, decides to stop this and any future negotiations. He leaves the original price on the car and it sells a week later for the full amount.

Now take the "car" that was being sold in my example, and add a "d" to the end of it to make it a "card" that was being sold instead..........................

Last edited by philliesfan; 10-11-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-11-2022, 02:22 PM
BobC BobC is offline
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Bob C. - Here is another version of your story.
Think of it like this, a guy's walking down the sidewalk next to a used car dealer, just minding his own business and looking at the cars as he's walking by. All of a sudden a salesman thinks he will help this guy out by offering a lower price than he was asking. So the red sporty car marked $5K is offered for $4,200.
The guy figures OK, since I am interested, I will offer a price where he could steal it from the salesman and offers $3,500.
Well, the salesman thinks to himself there's no way he is able let that car be stolen that cheap, so in his kind heart he lowers it one last time and lets the gentleman know he cannot go any lower.
So now the guy is perturbed that he can't steal it. And thinks the salesman may be desperate enough to sell at any cost and completely rip off the salesman and comes back with a paltry offer price of $3,200.00
Confused by the buyer and realizing that the potential buyer may have a screw loose and does not want any possible aggravation, decides to stop this and any future negotiations. He leaves the original price on the car and it sells a week later for the full amount.

Now take the "car" that was being sold in my example, and add a "d" to the end of it to make it a "card" that was being sold instead..........................

LOL

Bob, Bob, Bob!

Absolutely true and fine to change my example, but you completely missed my point, while also conveniently leaving out the most important part of the story, about the car salesman taking umbrage and banning the guy forever from his used car lot, after it was the salesman who originally talked the guy into coming onto his lot to start negotiations to begin with. The point in my example of mentioning that the guy could then turn around and do a different, smooth and seamless deal with another car dealer was merely to demonstrate that regardless of what the first salesman thinks, the whole episode doesn't automatically make the guy a bad buyer. But you're right, that first car salesman could push his aggressive sales technique on the next guy just walking down the street and end up making a deal for what he originally was trying to get for the car. And yes, that is great for the car salesman, but does it excuse and justify his treatment of the first guy he ended up banning? NO!!!!!! The banning of the first guy and subsequent sale to another guy have absolutely no correlation or anything to do with each other.

My entire point is that there are a lot of dealers on here that may share a lot of myopic viewpoints when it comes to dealing and engaging with potential customers, but that those viewpoints may not be so universally embraced by society in general. And exactly why I mentioned the possibility of telling such a story on Reddit's AITA site. I would not be surprised to find the general public consensus would be to find that the salesman banning the guy in my story would in a majority of their minds, be the a--hole.

I am in no way looking to disparage any dealers, and truly believe they have the right to sell their stuff for what and how they want. But they should at least be aware that how they may act and treat customers can possibly make them look like a--holes to a large number of people. The old adage is supposedly, "The customer is always right.". I know in real life that is certainly not always true, and there are definitely a lot of crappy customers out there. However in a case where a potential customer did not initiate the interaction, and then technically did nothing wrong, deceitful, or illegal, but still gets banned by the seller as a result...................well, try thinking about how that may look to the general public. And for those that come back and say they don't care what the general public may think, that is fine. Just don't also complain and argue about how the general public may view you then, because doing so may also tend to make one look like an..................................

And if someone wants to label me the same way for bringing up and questioning something like this, I'm perfectly fine with that. Just have the courtesy to actually respond to questions asked, and try to be open minded enough to realize yours may not always be the only acceptable opinion out there, nor necessarily the majority opinion. And this is not specifically directed at any one person. As I said, I respect people's opinions being based on past issues and incidents you may have encountered. I may not understand them, but you are entitled to them.

Last edited by BobC; 10-11-2022 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One for the block bidder list bobbyw8469 WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics 4 01-04-2019 02:35 PM
A bidder to block!! bobbyw8469 WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics 2 07-01-2017 02:15 PM
Another bidder to block!!! bobbyw8469 WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics 6 11-02-2015 04:24 PM
How to block ebay bidder caramelcard Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 04-04-2011 08:20 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 AM.


ebay GSB