NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Dean

Default 1964 Topps Thickness & Color Variation

I recently sold a 64 Brock on ebay. Received a note from the buyer yesterday saying that he was returning card because of thickness of paper. I responded asking if he was saying card is not authentic. His response was that he was not contending that, but that there is a variant of 1964 cards. Thicker paper and lighter print and thinner paper and darker print. He only collects the thicker variant.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Kind of annoying that card is being returned for no issue. Seems like something to work out ahead of time, but I tend not to fight these kinds of things on ebay. Buyer is almost always right.

my eBay auctions
Old 09-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

I've never heard of that before, but it's possible. I'll have to check the few I have.

Even if it's not, you've got a great story about the most creative Ebay excuse yet.

Steve B
Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Al Richter

Default 1964

I have the set and most of my cards I bought from the Card Collectors Company in NY in full series groups back in 1964. Over time I have added variations and upgrades. I was not aware of this distinction and would be interested in anyone else can confirm
Old 09-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Doug Goodman

I put a raw set together a few years ago and never noticed any thickness differences. I'm too lazy to go check it again, especially since it would be virtually impossible for me to find the cards I would "need" if there actually is a variation of this type.

I don't really want to know.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 09-11-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Al Richter

Default 1964

I am going to check my set and dupes cards. I hope I find something, just to give Doug some aggravation
Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Tell him to soak it in a bowl of water for a few days and then let it dry! It will probably be a little thicker after that!!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
... just to give Doug some aggravation
Thank you, Al

Insert smiley face here.

Doug
Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dog View Post
Tell him to soak it in a bowl of water for a few days and then let it dry! It will probably be a little thicker after that!!
or have them laminated.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Honestly, that sounds like a load of crap from someone trying to pull a scam. If he was collecting this rare variant, why not ask for more scans or at least ask you about it prior to bidding. I have collected some master sets with variations and always ask on a specific card prior to bidding. Sometime the sellers have no clue, but it's worth it to avoid the hassle of returning a card and all the jazz that goes along with it.

Make sure to examine the returned card extensively.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Dean

Just for the heck of it, here are the messages I've rec'd from this buyer:

His first message stated he wanted to return card because of thickness. I replied asking if he was saying the card was not authentic. He replied with this:

Quote:
Hello Dean, Appreciate the communication. My knowledge of collectable cards is EXTREMELY limited. 1964 Topps baseball is it. There is no questioning the authenticity of your card, just an unexpected knowledge I became aware of a while back. There seems to be two printings w/in this series, noticed w/a consistent connection w/darker print & thinner milling of paper, & lighter print & thicker milling of paper, the latter is what I collect (not sell). Hope this helps,
I responded back saying it would have been nice to understand his requirements ahead of time, to which he replied:

Quote:
Hi Dean, Just wanted to share an addition bit of knowledge. To even consider a purchase of this type of product on line, the photo is the ONLY criteria. The color BEHIND the team at top of card will instantly show this FACTUAL difference (i.e. the green behind the Cardinals, the mustard behind the Giants, the blue behind the Dodgers, etc.) Being there is NO COLOR behind the Chicago Cubs team, I had no problem taking a chance w/your great ebay record. Sorry for any inconvenience, at least you now have the correct perspective, & no longer have to incorporate any INACCURATE ASSUMPTIONS!! Good Luck & take care,

Really not sure what to think...

my eBay auctions
Old 09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
David M.

Just be sure you get back the same card you sold him. Sounds like a flake.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM

WHAT????? LOL! I have no clue what "Behind" means in this case? AND...aren't the Dodger's cards red?

Last edited by k-dog; 09-12-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I think this buyer is full of it, examine the returned card very closely and block him from bidding on your future auctions. Mind sharing his ebay id?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Doug Goodman

I collect variations (although not nearly as many as Al), and whenever I'm "taking a chance w/your great ebay record" I consider it a gamble, and I keep the card whether I get the variation I'm looking for or not.

To me,that is the right thing to do. The only time I return a card is if it's not "as advertised" and if it cost me enough to be worth the bother.

Doug
Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
I think this buyer is full of it, examine the returned card very closely and block him from bidding on your future auctions. Mind sharing his ebay id?
cmcc2826

He's got a bunch of good, recent feedback, from buying 1964 Topps. I didn't look at everything he's purchased, but many seem to be in better condition than the card he purchased from me. I'm thinking maybe he just decided the condition wasn't good enough, but that would be an easy and valid reason for a return. No need to get creative.

Here's the card I sold him, fwiw:

my eBay auctions
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 AM

Maybe he blundered into some Venezuelan cards???????
Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

Well I'll be! I think he's right.

I had a quick look at my 64s and found a few things.

I've known about different cardboard, one is a bit whiter than the other.

I'm pretty surprised he found what he did, but I guess if all you do is 64s....

Anyway, measuing with some digital calipers I get cardboard thichness from .040 to .047 of an inch. And it does seem as if the thicker ones are slightly lighter.

Also, the team names are printed differently.
Some are one solid color, like the Cubs
Some are two colors combined.
The ones with two colors come three ways.
solid color over solid color
screened as a mesh - think window screen
Screened as a series of dots.

I don't have enough 64s, and only a handful of duplicates so I don't know yet if any of the cards come two different ways. But I do know the same team can be screened differently.

Looking for the duplicates, scans to follow if I find anything interesting in them.
(scans eventually either way)

Steve B
Old 09-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Al Richter

Default 1964

I have the set and a lot of dupes but so far all I have done is look at my variations for card 4, AL Pitching Leaders ( apostrophe or not) and 517, CL 7 ( different #s on backs), and found no differences there
Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 PM

I'm nearly done with the '64 Topps set and I've never heard this one before. What a quirky way to collect.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:13 AM

Default Fake 64s

I purchased a 64 mantle on ebay about 6 years ago and sent the card in for grading. The card was returned with a note saying the card was a fake, i.e., not authentic, and could not be graded. So yes, there are fake 64s.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:10 AM
Bob F.

I'm surprised he didn't return the Brock because of the photobucket overprinting. That would certainly have been a deal killer for me.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:58 AM
Al Richter

It’s the Photobucket Variation, Bob. You need one
Old 12-01-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevvyg1026 View Post
I purchased a 64 mantle on ebay about 6 years ago and sent the card in for grading. The card was returned with a note saying the card was a fake, i.e., not authentic, and could not be graded. So yes, there are fake 64s.
Is this stock noticeably thinner than other 1964 cards?