NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Default Minor League Photo Request

I'm writing an article on a minor league ballplayer named Bill Niemeyer. He was killed in action in 1945 and I would like to write a story to remember him on Memorial Day. He played for a total of 7 teams and I'm coming up empty when it comes to finding and photo reference of any of the teams he played with. I want to illustrate him in the uniform of one of his old teams but so far nothing. I was wondering if anyone here might have something on one of these ball clubs:

1940 Erwin Mountaineers - Appalachian League

1941 Harrisonburg Turks - Virginia League

1941 Greeneville Burley Cubs - Appalachian League

1941 Kingsport Cherokees - Appalachian League

1941 Johnson City Cardinals - Appalachian League

1942 Greeneville Burley Cubs - Appalachian League

1944 Erwin Cubs - Appalachian League

I figure if anyone would have a team photo or something, someone on Net54 would!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Eric Nelson

Default Photo

Gary,
Not an easy task. You might try www.baseball-reference.com, type in his name (you may know all this) and then see who might have been his teammate on one of those clubs. (you can click on the team name and year to get the full roster). From there, you may have another angle at getting a photo--sometimes a prominent player is in the mix. A longshot but if you have the time and energy, there'll be a clue in there somewhere. But Memorial Day is coming up fast! Good luck
Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Eric,
I already went through the rosters for the teams he was on, besides Rube Walker and Billy Pearce there wasn't anyone else of note to give me a foothold in getting a picture. This is proving to be a tough one!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
pariah1107

Hello Gary, real tough project but I hope this helps. Stumbled onto this article about 1939 Appalachian League Yearbook with photos. Doubt there would be a yearbook produced during the war but you may get lucky with 1940. Might even try to contact the individual, Brumley Greene, since you are close. Sounds like he likes to talk baseball. Good luck, Ty

http://www.greenevillesun.com/Sports...e%0D-id-266220
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Ty,
That's a great lead! I'm going to try to track down a way to contact the guy in the article, thanks again, I knew Net54 would be the place to get a line on such an obscure request!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Bobw

Found this article from 2006, maybe you could contact the author and see if he could put you in touch with the family

http://www.baseballinwartime.com/in_...meyer_bill.htm
Old 05-26-2012, 05:04 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Thanks to everyone who helped me try to track down a picture of one of those obscure teams. No luck, but I decided to depict Bill Niemeyer in a Chicago Cubs uniform which he never got a chance to wear.

His story, in honor of Memorial Day 2012, can be seen here:

http://infinitecardset.blogspot.com/...-day-2012.html