NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 PM
Bry@n

Great thread! I have three things to add:
  • 1922-23 Type 1 photo of Jim Thorpe, Joe Guyon, Elmer Busch, and Peter Calac from their brief time on the Oorang Indians
  • RPPC of Elmer Busch from his time at Carlisle
  • Photo of Thorpe with the Giants - not sure of the type
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elmer Busch - Carlisle c.jpg (69.9 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg Thorpe c.jpg (73.4 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Oorang Indians Thorpe Guyon Busch Calac a.jpg (73.7 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by Jobu; 01-06-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:23 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Runred41 - The item from Nicaragua is called a souvenir sheet to stamp collectors. The reprint photo you have with Thorpe just above the souvenir sheet was taken June 12, 1912 at the Olympic tune up meet at Highland Park in New York City.. This was a Bain News Service photo. I have the right and left continuations of this photo. There are four members of the New York Athletic Club to the left of Thorpe. The two in the middle are brothers Ben Adams and Platt Adams. They both won medals in Stockholm. Other athletes in this photo are Hal Heiland, Xavier Athletic Club, on the far right, George Horine, Olympic Club, next to him, Tell Berna, Cornell, second from the left and Walter McClure, Multnomah Athletic Club, third from the left.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-06-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Runred41 - The item from Nicaragua is called a souvenir sheet to stamp collectors. The reprint photo you have with Thorpe just above the souvenir sheet was taken June 12, 1912 at the Olympic tune up meet at Highland Park in New York City.. This was a Bain News Service photo. I have the right and left continuations of this photo. There are four members of the New York Athletic Club to the left of Thorpe. The two in the middle are brothers Ben Adams and Platt Adams. They both won medals in Stockholm. Other athletes in this photo are Hal Heiland, Xavier Athletic Club, on the far right, George Horine, Olympic Club, next to him, Tell Berna, Cornell, second from the left and Walter McClure, Multnomah Athletic Club, third from the left.

Thanks for the info! I always wondered about the photo with the track athletes..a type 1 came up for sale 8-12 years ago but just didn’t have the funds. I was selling my major Thorpe items at the time and not buying. Maybe one will come along once again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2019, 02:28 AM

Here are some more track photos. The semi-nude photos are right after the Olympics. Sports scientists which was in its infancy took body measurements of Thorpe for reference due to his dominating performance in the Olympics. I did get permission from Leon to post them.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:23 PM

Just a step back as I found my 1912 Inauguration of Olympic stadium ticket...hope to find my opening day ticket at some point! I have a piece of history relating to the building of the stadium in the form of a ‘lottery ticket’. A lottery was instituted to raise funds to build the stadium.

Lottery ticket and information about the lottery:

Inauguration ticket and postcards of inauguration:

Postcards etc...

Other:

Cards:

Different reprints:

More cards:

Old 01-12-2019, 11:11 PM

After the Olympics the track team went on a 3 track meet and reception tour before returning to the U.S. One of those meets was on July 23, 1912 at Parc Pommery near Reims, France. Interesting to note is that a rested Jim Thorpe won the 100M Hurdles at the meet defeating Fred Kelly who was the Olympic champ. In a reception given by Coubertin the team and dignitaries were given bronze medallions/plaques to commemorate the event. Following is a postcard of Parc Pommery track meet and a medallion from the reception.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:01 PM

This is a 1912 Olympic Games Report Book Presentation Edition. It is one of 2500 deluxe copies that was bound in leather. These copies were presented to special dignitaries and financiers for the Olympics. This copy is attributed to Herman Gotthardt who was a world renowned art collector of Swedish, Finnish, Danish and Norwegian art who helped finance the Olympics. These presentation editions along with those sold to the general public without the leather covers are some of the very few reports that list James Thorpe as winner of Pentathlon and Decathlon as early January 1913 is when the professional baseball scandal broke which led to his disqualification at the time. Any report after January 1913 didn’t list him as the winner. This one is in fantastic condition.

August 24, 1912 original photos of Thorpe in the New York ticker tape parade held for the victorious Olympic athletes. Thorpe is in lead car with the hat on.

Various reprints of pre/post Olympic meets:

Cards:

Last edited by runred41; 01-17-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 PM

My collecting focus is to try to recreate through items/memorabilia from events of Jim Thorpe’s life. Although this medal is not attributed to Thorpe himself..the following was a medal given to the victorious athletes from the citizens of NY upon their return from the Olympics. Thorpe would have received one just like it. The medal had a horizontal top bar with a pin in order to attach it to one’s clothing. I’ve been fortunate to pick up 2 of these. I’ve seen a pennant that was sold to commemorate the occasion also..just didn’t win that one. On the front it says...’New York Greetings’. On the back it says..’Presented By The Citizens Of The City Of New York Commemorating The “Home Coming” Of The Victorious American Team From The Olympic Games Stockholm 1912’

Cards numbered to 25,50,100:

Cards numbered to 99, 10:

Cards numbered to 5, 25:

Cards numbered to 25(spotlight), 25(Hawaiian), 50, 100, 599:

Old 01-25-2019, 11:10 PM

After a huge greeting by the citizens of NY, a ticker tape parade and meeting the mayor..the team sat down to Reception and Dinner at the Terrace Garden. Shown here is a program and dinner menu of that occasion. Take note of one of the menu items....’Sorbet—-James Thorpe ‘!

Original drawing by Pat Crowe that he made one of his cards from:

Old 02-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Next up is an original Postcard of Thorpe posing at the Hensel studio in Carlisle, PA.

Remake of postcards of the homecoming at Carlisle. Pierson K Miller was a councilman in Carlisle, PA who made these reprints happen. Anybody know anything else about them?

Cards numbered 2000, 100, 50:

Old 04-19-2024, 08:11 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

I’ve seen this 1956 Lejano Oeste #158 (passing) sticker/whatever in PSA slabs but had never seen this #157 (rushing) sticker anywhere, didn’t know it existed until I saw this album.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

a kind of beat up postcard..

Old 04-22-2024, 11:33 AM
Mark

Neat postcard Leon. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-22-2024, 04:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1953 Esso

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...