NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2021, 09:30 AM
Robert Williams

If I do another group sub with them, I have no one to blame but myself. Of course, if they make this right with me, I would be tempted. Leon nailed it. You hate to use anyone else, because PSA cards are getting a premium. If this isn't the proverbial "catch 22", I don't know what is......
Old 07-21-2021, 09:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
If I do another group sub with them, I have no one to blame but myself. Of course, if they make this right with me, I would be tempted. Leon nailed it. You hate to use anyone else, because PSA cards are getting a premium. If this isn't the proverbial "catch 22", I don't know what is......
Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:34 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

PSA has had my submission of about 50 really nice vintage post-war Hof'ers since May of 2020. The cards now appear to be in grading, but who knows? This will be my last submission to PSA.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:49 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
PSA has had my submission of about 50 really nice vintage post-war Hof'ers since May of 2020. The cards now appear to be in grading, but who knows? This will be my last submission to PSA.
Here is praying that the package doesn't wind up missing.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:47 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Your sanity is worth something too, not just the cards.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:50 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Your sanity is worth something too, not just the cards.
Thank you Conor. I am at my wits end thinking about this.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:00 PM

I still chuckle about the title of this thread.

Most people use PSA because their expectancy value is higher than their grading fees, discounted for inflation and risks of loss. Taking a highly simplified example, if you have a raw card worth $1000 and you think there is a 50% chance it will be worth $2000 after grading and a 50% chance it will be worth $1000 after grading, your expectancy value is $1500 less grading fees, inflation (while you wait) and risks of loss. Let's say inflation and risks of loss total $200, reducing your expectancy value to $1300. You will still pay up to $300 in grading fees (maybe somewhat less if you are risk averse, as most of us are) because your expectancy value will still be greater than the value of your ungraded card.

I am sure there are collectors who have legitimate moral concerns about PSA but this is how many people, myself included (and probably PSA) view the situation.

In sum, it's fine to complain about how PSA has "screwed" collectors, but that sentiment needs to be balanced against the value that PSA has created for collectors.

And, no, I am not on PSA's "payroll." I have met Joe Orlando and David Hall but neither one ever offered me a dime. I do, however, have cards that are worth a lot more because they are in PSA holders.

Last edited by sreader3; 07-27-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:44 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I still chuckle about the title of this thread.

Most people use PSA because their expectancy value is higher than their grading fees, discounted for inflation and risks of loss. Taking a highly simplified example, if you have a raw card worth $1000 and you think there is a 50% chance it will be worth $2000 after grading and a 50% chance it will be worth $1000 after grading, your expectancy value is $1500 less grading fees, inflation (while you wait) and risks of loss. Let's say inflation and risks of loss total $200, reducing your expectancy value to $1300. You will still pay up to $300 in grading fees (maybe somewhat less if you are risk averse, as most of us are) because your expectancy value will still be greater than the value of your ungraded card.

I am sure there are collectors who have legitimate moral concerns about PSA but this is how many people, myself included (and probably PSA) view the situation.

In sum, it's fine to complain about how PSA has "screwed" collectors, but that sentiment needs to be balanced against the value that PSA has created for collectors.

And, no, I am not on PSA's "payroll." I have met Joe Orlando and David Hall but neither one ever offered me a dime. I do, however, have cards that are worth a lot more because they are in PSA holders.
And your point is what? Mr. Chuckle. As I said I collect track and field cards (hardly an investment decision) I just wanted some nice cards encapsulated. No cards here that I am boasting are worth 50K. So yes they are screwing the average person who does not make a living buying and selling (investing) in cardboard.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:49 PM

My name is not "Mr. Chuckle." Please do not engage in ad hominem. It just makes you look bad. If you are not happy with PSA , I suggest that you use other grading services.

Edited to add: I think it's cool that you collect track and field cards. I love 20th century American ephemera from T206 to Warhol paintings. Good luck with your collecting pursuits.

Last edited by sreader3; 07-27-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:00 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
My name is not "Mr. Chuckle." Please do not engage in ad hominem. It just makes you look bad. If you are not happy with PSA , I suggest that you use other grading services.
regardless of how i look. PSA is a down the line company and if the economy fell apart tomorrow they would be done and all the cards on this board would not be worth the heat they would generate if lit on fire. PSA should be grateful for the business. so posit whatever you want. PSA should do their job. end of story
Old 07-27-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm412 View Post
regardless of how i look. PSA is a down the line company and if the economy fell apart tomorrow they would be done and all the cards on this board would not be worth the heat they would generate if lit on fire. PSA should be grateful for the business. so posit whatever you want. PSA should do their job. end of story
I agree that PSA should "do their job." And I think they do. They make very serious mistakes, like grading the T206 Doyle (N.Y. Nat'l) Polar Bear which I pointed out to David Hall personally (although after they had already corrected the error and made amends). But they try to get it right--even though they blow it sometimes. If the economy falls apart tomorrow, I think all of the cards on this board will still be worth far more than the heat they would generate if lit on fire. So I will keep mine. Light yours on fire if you want.

Last edited by sreader3; 07-27-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:36 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
I agree that PSA should "do their job." And I think they do. They make very serious mistakes, like grading the T206 Doyle (N.Y. Nat'l) Polar Bear which I pointed out to David Hall personally (although after they had already corrected the error and made amends). But they try to get it right--even though they blow it sometimes. If the economy falls apart tomorrow, I think all of the cards on this board will still be worth far more than the heat they would generate if lit on fire. So I will keep mine. Light yours on fire if you want.
they do not do their job. unless their job is fantasy. they have left the average collector behind. they got caught up or created the REA auction frenzy. this is another form of crypto currency. inflated values with no true underlying value. in fact they have left vintage cards behind. can a Tom Brady autographed card really be worth $1 million dollars. Come on now. there are people who do real work in this world. this will end in tears.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:25 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
I think this was disproven in March 2020 when the economy was toast and cards shot up in value
Old 07-29-2021, 03:25 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I think this was disproven in March 2020 when the economy was toast and cards shot up in value
And now cards have shot back down in value.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:36 PM
J@son Per1

They are still a small company $35m in a quarter is really peanuts for most businesses as is $10m operating income and the profit margin is nothing wild either. The premium the cards get over SGC which grades every bit as tough but has a much less checkered background is mind boggling to me.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
They are still a small company $35m in a quarter is really peanuts for most businesses as is $10m operating income and the profit margin is nothing wild either. The premium the cards get over SGC which grades every bit as tough but has a much less checkered background is mind boggling to me.
i just don't understand how anyone can defend them. they created the graded market messed up the graded market and now they want people to be patient with them. and as an added layer of BS they went private so as not to answer to anyone. you can say it just business but i have noticed its mostly you all with the high end cards who don't want to mess up a good thing. and hell i don't blame you
Old 07-27-2021, 08:56 PM

Again, I suggest that you do not use PSA if you think they do not provide a valuable service. I have personally stopped using them while this all sorts out. But I think the notion that they should not capitalize on the price premium that some collectors are willing to pay at the National for premium service is absurd.

You have a personal choice. It’s hot that hard. Do nothing.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:58 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Again, I suggest that you do not use PSA if you think they do not provide a valuable service. I have personally stopped using them while this all sorts out. But I think the notion that they should not capitalize on the price premium that some collectors are willing to pay at the National for premium service is absurd.

you seem angry. is the value of your cards being jeopardized.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:01 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:

it's not that hard do nothing. do you and you alone know whats best?
Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:

Lets parse some of your BS statements

"I am sure there are collectors who have legitimate moral concerns about PSA but this is how many people, myself included (and probably PSA) view the situation."

these aren't moral concerns. these are basic service concerns. bottom line you pay for a service they should attempt to deliver. when you say you are making a best effort and then you throw out a sidebar "to make a little extra cash" you are a jagoff in pittsburgh parlance. plain and simple. and if you defend the practice you are either benefitting from the nonsense or you are a nincompoop.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:27 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Don't let your anger towards the current environment cloud your love of collecting cards. Make your collection exactly what you want and nothing else.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-27-2021, 10:19 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Don't let your anger towards the current environment cloud your love of collecting cards. Make your collection exactly what you want and nothing else.
Honestly no anger. There are individuals who make a living at this at all costs. and they take advantage. and whatever.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:24 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Honestly no anger. There are individuals who make a living at this at all costs. and they take advantage. and whatever.
And those people should not matter when it comes to building your personal collection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-