NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 05-30-2015, 12:19 PM
Steve

Default Jerry Rice RC Altered Stock N5

I bought a Jerry Rice RC from a seller on eBay and just got the grade back from PSA - N5. The seller blew me off completely. Since I bought the card more than 60 days ago, I can't give negative feedback through eBay. I did report the listing itself, however. Good thing it was only $20 but has anyone else had this problem with altered cards?
Old 05-30-2015, 02:09 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

This happened to me with a 82 Topps Ripken 98T card. Bought it raw from a card shop along with a couple of other cards and was bummed when it came back as altered stock. I did not take it back to the card shop because he sold me a raw Marino rookie for 20 bucks that came back graded a PSA 9. I still made out overall so I just let it go. I tried submitting it a second time and got the same result.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:27 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
This happened to me with a 82 Topps Ripken 98T card. Bought it raw from a card shop along with a couple of other cards and was bummed when it came back as altered stock. I did not take it back to the card shop because he sold me a raw Marino rookie for 20 bucks that came back graded a PSA 9. I still made out overall so I just let it go. I tried submitting it a second time and got the same result.
Submit to a different grading company.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:53 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Never crossed my mind to use BVG or SGC since I never have used them. Which one would you suggest? I'm guessing BVG would be the one but not sure.

Last edited by jb67; 05-31-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:47 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Never crossed my mind to use BVG or SGC since I never have used them. Which one would you suggest? I guessing BVG would be the one but not sure.
BVG/BGS since it's modern.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 05-31-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:56 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I am no grading expert by any means but have had a couple thousand cards graded in the past few years. Any time I have gotten back an altered stock card (3 or 4 cards) it was because the card at some point in it's life was in a heavy screw down holder. The holder by putting pressure on the card can leave tell tale wrinkles that I think any TPG will detect. So submitting it to a different TPG has never worked for me but only tried a couple times. (then someone who worked for a TPG explained why they came back with altered stock). AND YES I know that there are other reasons why a card can come back altered stock but in my experience only reason my cards came back with grade. Hope this helps
J
Old 05-31-2015, 04:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

I had that happen with a raw t-206 card I bought on ebay. I didn't resubmit it to bvg or sgc because I didn't want to miss the deadline to get a refund. It was an expensive card.

I think beckett is a little more lenient on their standards and you would have a better chance of getting a numerical grade, but that's just from what I've heard and not personal Experience.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

There was an older type of holder that was thick plastic folded over. Protected the cards fairly well and was almost the only hard holder around for a couple years. But since it used spring like pressure to hold the card and it only gripped one end some people claimed they would make the cards tapered over time. *

Same thing, technically altered stock, and it could look just like an alteration where the card was pressed to enlarge the corners then ever so slightly trimmed back to size. They should be able to tell the difference by now, and I don't think it should be penalized for mid grade cards that have no deliberate alterations. Maybe some qualifier if the grade is ....maybe 7 or better?

* I think cardsavers will do essentially the same thing eventually but they're not as stiff so maybe not.

Steve B

Tags
alterations, rice