NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2020, 11:49 AM
Mike P.ap

[QUOTE=Vintageclout;2001831]Here are some solid options. Remember, great eye appeal is a “must” for any purchase:

- A dead-centered PSA 5 1951 Bowman Mantle Rookie - way undervalued vs. it’s 1952 Topps Mantle peer. Lots of growth potential. But, it has to have 55/45 to 50/50 centering.

I value your opinion, what do you think of this stained but very nice looking Mantle RC at around 8k on Ebay?

Just curious, I was contemplating it but the stains.......let me know what you think about future value on this one, thanks! Peace, Mike

s-l1600.jpg
Old 07-26-2020, 12:26 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Actually it sounds like an excellent response from someone with life experience that isn't swayed by what Gary Vee is telling people to buy this week,
Except the fact that buying 5 acres of land for $20k isn’t even remotely possible in easily 50% of the country. A quick google search shows that successful stories like this are extremely few and far between and more of an “old wives tale” than a reasonable source of income.

Not sure what Gary Vee has to do with anything though.

I’d love to go back 20-30 years and buy some vintage baseball cards. You could be very close to a millionaire if you kept the right cards until today...There’s not much else you could “invest” in that would give that type of return.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

55T Jackie Robinson and 49 Leaf Satchel Paige

Last edited by drcy; 07-26-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Anything Jackie Robinson and the 52T Mantle appear to be the early majority here and rightfully so.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
If....
Then I'd hope I talk myself out of it.

Don't invest in baseball cards. Recognize it's a hobby... a piece of cardboard, a bookmark. Buy a card for some intrinsic value: who it depicts, the history of the set it's in, how it was printed, the year of the card as it's tied with something the player or his team accomplished that year... but recognize that it's not an investment.

Here are investments...

An education
A home
Mutual funds
gold or silver bullion (not coin collecting)
Stocks, if you're gonna pay attention to the market, the company...
Bonds

If you're in your 20's and have that 20k to invest, I suggest this investment. Drive out into the country and find 5 acres to buy (this won't work in desert areas, some mountainous areas, so this terrain might not be available). Buy five acres, then plant a bunch of hardwood saplings. Walnut, Cherry, some kind of hardwood trees. Get an agricultural extension agent to get you information and advice. You'll have to go tend them the first year or two; maybe water them or protect them from rabbits or deer. After a few years you can leave them to their own, they'll grow. Wait 30 to 40 years (this is why you need to me a young investor). Then hire someone to harvest the trees and get them to a mill or market. This investment will yield money enough for retirement, putting grandkids through college and/or helping with a down payment on a home... and you still have the 5 acres that you could either sell or convince a grandkid to plant some hardwood saplings.

I'm all about collecting old ball cards. It just bothers me when I hear someone "needs" a certain card. I say it sometimes. I don't need the card, maybe I want it. When I hear a sorority girl say that she invested in some Guess jeans, or a guy investing in a motorcycle, or someone investing in a pontoon boat... or such. Those aren't investments. An investment is something that you and others recognize will grow in value for which there will remain a ready market. You have to live somewhere, so a home is a necessity, it's a special form of investment. An education is special, to... it doesn't mean you'll make more money, it does increase employment opportunities. The rest of the investments need to be something you're willing to part with. You could sell stocks, bonds, mutual funds. A certificate of deposit could be cashed in... do you really wanna be selling baseball cards as you would a few shares of stock? No, you'll be attached to the cards.

Invest in investments, not hobbies.
Good luck with that. We planted Walnut trees on a piece of family farm land 40 years ago. Asked a friend who owns a tree service and he says he has wood he has saved from trees that he has cut down and no one wants to buy it. Can’t sell the farm land. Can’t sell our house after a job transfer. Real estate is a terrible investment. I wish I had invested it all in old baseball cards and just rented. At least my cards are easy to sell and I will be set for retirement.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

The best '54 Bowman Ted Williams I could find. Love that card and its' story.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:39 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Except the fact that buying 5 acres of land for $20k isn’t even remotely possible in easily 50% of the country. A quick google search shows that successful stories like this are extremely few and far between and more of an “old wives tale” than a reasonable source of income.

I’d love to go back 20-30 years and buy some vintage baseball cards. You could be very close to a millionaire if you kept the right cards until today...There’s not much else you could “invest” in that would give that type of return.
I do agree $20k for 5 acres seems highly under priced. In WA State, most rural areas have 10 acre minimums for subdivision. Thus 5 acres would be closer to a city, increasing the property value significantly.

However, regardless of price, the advice to invest in land that is usable is good advice in and of itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-26-2020, 03:33 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Actually it sounds like an excellent response from someone with life experience that isn't swayed by what Gary Vee is telling people to buy this week,
No, it's not. It's mostly conjecture.

I'm not going to break it all down, because that would take forever. But a couple of highlights: the lack of enough intrinsic value does not mean that something is not an "investment". Many collectibles, including comic books and baseball cards, have had a generally strong and liquid market for at least 40 years now. Anyone not categorizing goods like those as investments being highly unrealistic.

Sure you could lose your shirt if something highly unexpected goes really wrong. Just like you if you bought GE stock in the last 20 years (which was considered for decades to be the hallmark of a "safe", low risk stock of an impenetrable conglomerate behemoth). Or if you ventured into the restaurant business and that new place went belly up.

And yes, I know, diversification and the long term returns of the overall stock market. But tell me how your stock portfolio did if you needed to grow you money from 1930 to 1950. Or from 1960 to 1980. Even if you could count on the future results of the market being as amazing as the last 100 years overall (which you can't, or even close), there could easily be long problematic periods that ruin your expectations.

Anyway....there is nothing wrong at all with conflating hobby and investment. And that's how many of them function, regardless of what anyone's opinion is.

But there's a lot wrong with categorizing all these different ventures that fit the conventional wisdom of "investment" as rock solid ideas that could never hurt you that badly, while brushing off other ideas that not even be any riskier in the end.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:33 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I thought the question was POST WAR....
Uh, I guess you read the original post, huh.... didn't really specify "which" war...

Last edited by Fred; 07-26-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:25 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Ana.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Uh, I guess you read the original post, huh.... didn't really specify "which" war...
Oh....War in Afghanistan? I'd go with a shiny Zion then.......oh wait 20K can't buy one! lol

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 07-26-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:26 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
No, it's not. It's mostly conjecture....

And yes, I know, diversification and the long term returns of the overall stock market. But tell me how your stock portfolio did if you needed to grow you money from 1930 to 1950. Or from 1960 to 1980. Even if you could count on the future results of the market being as amazing as the last 100 years overall (which you can't, or even close), there could easily be long problematic periods that ruin your expectations.
Or 2000 - 2009 when 10 year Bond Yields were beating the market! (2000-2009 my dad refers to as the lost decade)

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-26-2020, 07:28 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Mmm

Quote:
This response seems very out of touch and dated.
Franks response is 100% spot on. Collecting is a lot more fun than investing or selling on eBay.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:30 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Walnut trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Good luck with that. We planted Walnut trees on a piece of family farm land 40 years ago. Asked a friend who owns a tree service and he says he has wood he has saved from trees that he has cut down and no one wants to buy it. Can’t sell the farm land. Can’t sell our house after a job transfer. Real estate is a terrible investment. I wish I had invested it all in old baseball cards and just rented. At least my cards are easy to sell and I will be set for retirement.
That is interesting. In this area of Wisconsin we can easily get $1000 or more for a mature walnut tree.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:51 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Any answer that does not conclude with one card produced between 1945 and 2020 obviously does not answer the OP's question.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 07-26-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:36 PM
A.J. Johnson

Default this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Leaf-J...4AAOSwdg9fEzlw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (79.3 KB, 300 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 07-26-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:36 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
That is interesting. In this area of Wisconsin we can easily get $1000 or more for a mature walnut tree.
Walnut still pulls a premium in SE WA too!

Old 07-26-2020, 10:05 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Franks response is 100% spot on. Collecting is a lot more fun than investing or selling on eBay.
As noted above, his response is nearly the opposite of spot on. There's no point in breaking down even more of the misconceptions than I already did. Others have already gotten into major possible issues with the real estate and tree part of it since.

Yep, if someone wants to collect for just the fun of it, then that's great. But that has nothing to do with the viability of cards functioning as an investment, or so much else that was said.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:13 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
That probably comes from the general views of the crowd that doesn't like talking heads like Gary Vee causing price increases and possible speculative bubbles.

It's as if the very shiny other side of that coin (it causing your own cards to go up in value and providing more liquidity for the market) doesn't even matter much.

Too easy to focus on just the negative sometimes, I guess
Old 07-27-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
completely agree...but that's not a very nice 5 so 20k may get you that specific card. No way a nice psa 5 is less than 20k, but a 48L Jackie is the way to go for sure.

Last edited by investinrookies; 07-27-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:57 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Yep, sound logic and common sense.... for the majority of us anyway.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:01 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I just wouldn't do it right now. The market is moving too fast which is normally a bad time to buy anything.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:

Gary Vee has brought in the Day Trading and Gambling "Bros". Hypes up junk wax to his huge audience to raise the prices and then dumps the mass quantities he bought dirt cheap. The bubble bursts on that card and he starts the cycle over again with another card.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Frank Wakefield

A gentleman once told me that as a kid in 1953 he was taken to a Yankees game. He had saved money to buy stuff. Outside Yankee Stadium, on his way in, he saw a vender had 1952 Topps cards for sale. He bought a pack, and found they were high number cards, cards he and his friends didn't know existed... Mantle was in that pack. He pulled out his saved money and bought the whole box. I mention this to get to something he told me. In the long run, he'd have more value had he saved the box and all of the wrappers, kept them nice and protected, and thrown away the cards....

I'm a bit of a dinosaur and a curmudgeon. But golly, the mass printed cards of the 80s and 90s sure deflated a bunch of would be kid card collectors. COVID isn't helping. We need young kids to care about the game, its history, and old cardboard so we can sell this stuff to someone else one day...

If I had $20k to spend on collectables and I didn't need the money for living expenses, bills, debts, or investments.... I'd try to buy a green white border Cobb, an Old Judge Delehanty, and a T210 Stengel. But I wouldn't call that investing.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:16 PM

*** W600 Mr Christy Mathewson! ***

Very Limited in Both Quantity & Availability ~

And When They Make His Movie Depicting His & Mr McGraw's
Completely Different Live together Family Life Styles,
Durin' Their Playing Days...

"It'll SkyRocket!!!"

You Jus Need to FiND One Now!
Old 07-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecow View Post
1952 Topps Eddie Mathews, in as high a grade as 20K would get me.
This is what I would buy.

Think we may need a primer on meaning of Post-War.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
This is what I would buy.

Think we may need a primer on meaning of Post-War.
Correct me If I'm wrong, I always thought Post-War referred to WWII. At least that's what I've been led to believe.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Correct me If I'm wrong, I always thought Post-War referred to WWII. At least that's what I've been led to believe.
It does, but many people are listing prewar cards, not postwar cards.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:13 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Yep, sound logic and common sense.... for the majority of us anyway.
Of course it is. An "investment" plan that's highlighted by the assumption of buying real estate for a fraction of market value (and then going to the trouble of managing what's going on with the planting and eventual selling off of trees for 30 years).....that's much more logical than putting away a '52 Mantle for a long time.

It's one thing to go along with his many misconceptions about the topic. But it's simply comical to snidely hint that those who disagree aren't using sound logic or common sense
Old 07-30-2020, 11:21 PM
A.J. Johnson

This one would have just fit into your budget @ $19,350

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Leaf-J...4AAOSwdg9fEzlw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (79.3 KB, 103 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 07-31-2020, 04:47 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Whatever it is, make sure it was not sold by pwcc. In the future, and currently, at least a minority of collectors are avoiding cards previously sold through them.

I'd go with a solid centered Aaron RC, or 52 May's. Both will come into the spot light in the next decade.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors