NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Gavelsnipe failed me.

I know this has happened to others, but a card I was bidding on, and had set a healthy snipe on was lost about two hours ago. I then received a message from Gavelsnipe saying eBay was currently blocking all bids from Gavelsnipe and please do t use them on suctions you hoped to win. That message would have been handy before the auction ended, not afterwards.

Well, I’ve always said I would get all of Howe’s cards back, but this one was tough to take as my snipe was quite a bit higher than what it sold for and in my imagination, that Heine would be in its way to me now.

Sorry to vent but if you’re using Gavelsnipe right now, you might want to check in to this.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:01 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howe’s Hunter View Post
I know this has happened to others, but a card I was bidding on, and had set a healthy snipe on was lost about two hours ago. I then received a message from Gavelsnipe saying eBay was currently blocking all bids from Gavelsnipe and please do t use them on suctions you hoped to win. That message would have been handy before the auction ended, not afterwards.

Well, I’ve always said I would get all of Howe’s cards back, but this one was tough to take as my snipe was quite a bit higher than what it sold for and in my imagination, that Heine would be in its way to me now.

Sorry to vent but if you’re using Gavelsnipe right now, you might want to check in to this.
While I understand the desire to get cards as cheaply as possible, this right here is the MAJOR DISADVANTAGE to sniping!!! In the future Ed, might I suggest using GIXEN....or even a combination of the two. They are both free. Gixen has never failed me. Not saying they never fail....but it is miniscule.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:02 AM
Robert Williams

If it is something you want badly enough, there is no harm in setting different ones up. Don't worry....you won't be bidding against yourself. Not as long as you have them both coming through the same Ebay account.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 09-15-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Dan Bretta

This has been the case with Gavelsnipe for more than a month now. They have had this message in big red letters at the top of their website for weeks now. I stopped using the service after being burned 5 or 6 times in one week.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Others ?

A bit off topic but does anyone know if eBay is declaring "War" on all snipe services ?? I can see them doing just that. I use Bidnapper and have always been pleased with their service but have not used them in many months. So I am not up to date with what is going on. If they fight the use of sniping many collecting live will be impacted.....we will be sitting, at odd hours, with a stop watch to manually snipe . So....anybody else have a surprise in bidding with another service?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:23 AM

It has been happening with Gavelsnipe for several months.

Gixen has just changed their policy as well. You're entitled to 4 free snipe wins per month; anything after that and they demand you pay their annual subscription rate of $6 (recurring) or $8 (one time payment).
Old 09-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Rich Klein

What's wrong with, you know, actually putting in a bid in advance of what you are willing to pay. As long as you don't feel you will go over the number; lock in your bid and either win or lose.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Venting is good . It relieves stress.

If and when I can't live without something I usually set a snipe and also manually bid.

Quote:

Old 09-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Scott Russell

I will never understand why ebay doesn't switch to a dynamic ending (or soft close if that's a term you're more familiar with) They leave a LOT of money on the table and I stopped doing auctions for the most part after a series of expensive sales resulted in under-bidders messaging me offering me more than the winning bid for the item.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-19-2019, 05:17 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I will never understand why ebay doesn't switch to a dynamic ending (or soft close if that's a term you're more familiar with) They leave a LOT of money on the table and I stopped doing auctions for the most part after a series of expensive sales resulted in under-bidders messaging me offering me more than the winning bid for the item.
They tried it for a while, it didn't work.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:39 PM
Scott Russell

When? I have been on since 1998 and never saw it. I know for some big clients they did simulcast auctions but it was never available for ebay only auctions that I'm aware of. With technology today I don't even understand how it could "not work." If there's a bid the auction keeps going.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-19-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
When? I have been on since 1998 and never saw it. I know for some big clients they did simulcast auctions but it was never available for ebay only auctions that I'm aware of. With technology today I don't even understand how it could "not work." If there's a bid the auction keeps going.
I honestly don't remember exactly when it was. I think it was around 6-7 years ago and didn't last very long because people hated it.

Anybody else remember this failed eBay experiment?

EDIT: Done a google search and didn't find anything, maybe I am misremembering them extending auctions if a bid was placed in the last minute of the regular time.

Last edited by bnorth; 09-19-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:24 AM
Dan Bretta

I’ve been selling on eBay for 20 years, they have never had extended bidding. I would really hate this as a buyer but would love it as a seller. I would be torn if they did this.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I’ve been selling on eBay for 20 years, they have never had extended bidding. I would really hate this as a buyer but would love it as a seller. I would be torn if they did this.
100% same. It would prevent me from sniping stuff cheap, but it would totally help out with giving my own stuff away. So for that, I vote for extended bidding.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:

Hi Ed,

I just got back from a quick vacation (my son got married last Saturday and the wife and I took a few days away in Portsmouth, NH). I was the winner of the Howe McCormick Heine Wagner (the only reason that I was bidding on it was that this was the last Red Sox player that I needed for the T206 set). The card was waiting for me when I arrived home and is yours, as I love your collection and the story behind it!! Just let me know your mailing address and I'll send it out tomorrow morning.

Best,

Steve
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Jay Cee

Auctionsniper has never failed me. They do charge more than others, but I like the reliability.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Steve, thanks so much.

PM sent.

Ed
Old 09-20-2019, 02:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a nice gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
Hi Ed,

I just got back from a quick vacation (my son got married last Saturday and the wife and I took a few days away in Portsmouth, NH). I was the winner of the Howe McCormick Heine Wagner (the only reason that I was bidding on it was that this was the last Red Sox player that I needed for the T206 set). The card was waiting for me when I arrived home and is yours, as I love your collection and the story behind it!! Just let me know your mailing address and I'll send it out tomorrow morning.

Best,

Steve

Last edited by Leon; 09-20-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM
Mike

There has never been extended bidding on ebay. Not sure why ? Should be 30 seconds added after the last bid . This would be more money for the seller , which means more money for ebay ! They are too dumb. I talked with them years ago about this. Not good for the buyer.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That is a nice gesture.

Agreed! It’s great seeing stuff like this happen.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Agreed! It’s great seeing stuff like this happen.

+ 2
Old 09-21-2019, 05:19 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
What's wrong with, you know, actually putting in a bid in advance of what you are willing to pay. As long as you don't feel you will go over the number; lock in your bid and either win or lose.
This

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:27 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That is a nice gesture.

Very nice gesture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

In my hey day of rabid collecting I would very often lock in spots. If something went for more I usually didn't go back to it. (unless I couldn't live without it, of course )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Old 09-25-2019, 05:59 AM
Ed Woelfle

FWIW I had used Gavelsnipe for years and started encountering same/similar problems with not going through months ago.

Switched to Gixen, no issues since
Old 02-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Another victim of GavelSnipe not going thru due to CAPCHA.
I have not used this i a long time, saw something last night (from PWCC)
Knew if i had a shot, it needed a snipe.
Well, I would of beaten the winning bid if it went thru 'supposingly' if not the others would of topped it maybe.
Defintelty looking at other methods of sniping next time.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 02-12-2020, 12:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

GIXEN just completed their successful interface with eBay.

It has failed me one single time, in about 850 - 900 instances. Very reliable, and worth a try, if you're seeking alternative options.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:03 PM
Howard Chasser

Default My recollection as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Been selling and buying since 1998
Old 02-12-2020, 02:35 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I have not used this i a long time, saw something last night (from PWCC)
Knew if i had a shot, it needed a snipe.
why, oh why?

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-13-2020, 12:27 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
why, oh why?
I dont know why, i saw a card, about what i was looking for (psa 2)
I guess i could always wait to see REA has in store.

I signed up for Gixen now, it was simple to do. So, next time is shame on me.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 02-14-2020, 05:46 AM
Bruce Fairchild

A month or two ago I lost 4 items because Gavel Snipe failed to execute.
This past Tuesday I won 8 items of 32, a result of signing up with Gixen.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:33 PM

Anyone here tried https://www.auctionsniper.com/ ?
Is that currently working on eBay?
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 PM
Jerry

JFYI ... I too was having problems off & on with Gavelsnipe for about a year (CAPCHA) so after posting here & then seeing this thread I recently signed up for Gixen. I've only used it once so far but it worked on eBay a couple days ago. FWIW.

Selling: Cards and memorabilia I'm weaning from my collection to fund other collecting interests.
https://www.ebay.com/str/recollectionantiques/
Old 02-18-2020, 01:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I used auctionsniper for years but then found all of the free services. I don't know anything about them any longer but they used to charge for wins. I still use gavelsnipe for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Anyone here tried https://www.auctionsniper.com/ ?
Is that currently working on eBay?
Old 02-19-2020, 12:04 PM

Thanks, Leon -- been using GavelSnipe for eons but their recent difficulties in sniping eBay auctions
had us looking for a free/cheap alternative. AuctionSniper does appear to charge (a nominal pittance)
for winning snipes, but what we were wondering was whether they, too, were now having their snipe attempts
blocked by eBay.
Gixen is probably the better way to go (for now), but we managed to win a couple auctions last night
with manual snipes anyway...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 02-19-2020, 03:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Does anyone know how instantaneous these sniping programs are?

I don't utilize any of them, so in bidding the traditional way on ebay, I used to manually 'snipe' at the ten seconds left mark, then I moved to 4 seconds, and last night I threw in a bid on the downside of 3 seconds. It always seems to take a (mind numbingly anxious) second or two for my bid to catch and go through, so I have to be careful how long I wait to jump in. (The goal, obviously, is to get my bid in just as the auction closes, in order to shut out other bidders.) The question is, if someone is using a sniping service, does it even matter how long I (or other people) wait to pull the trigger, or is it moot, since their electro-bid (just coined that phrase) will be a nearly instantaneous, split second hit??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:47 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Does anyone know how instantaneous these sniping programs are?

I don't utilize any of them, so in bidding the traditional way on ebay, I used to manually 'snipe' at the ten seconds left mark, then I moved to 4 seconds, and last night I threw in a bid on the downside of 3 seconds. It always seems to take a (mind numbingly anxious) second or two for my bid to catch and go through, so I have to be careful how long I wait to jump in. (The goal, obviously, is to get my bid in just as the auction closes, in order to shut out other bidders.) The question is, if someone is using a sniping service, does it even matter how long I (or other people) wait to pull the trigger, or is it moot, since their electro-bid (just coined that phrase) will be a nearly instantaneous, split second hit??
From Gavelsnipe's FAQ

GavelSnipe has a user defined snipe time that defaults to 20 seconds prior to the auction end. GavelSnipe allows a user setting as low as 5 seconds prior to the auction end.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
From Gavelsnipe's FAQ

GavelSnipe has a user defined snipe time that defaults to 20 seconds prior to the auction end. GavelSnipe allows a user setting as low as 5 seconds prior to the auction end.
Thank you, that's good to know. I wrongly assumed it was something like 1/100 of a second.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:53 AM
Bob Davies

Has anyone been using GavelSnipe lately? Have there been successes or are there continued failures?

What are peoples latest experiences?
Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Has anyone been using GavelSnipe lately? Have there been successes or are there continued failures?

I've been using Gixen the rare times I snipe. Nary a complaint.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:23 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

I've used Gavelsnipe several times in the last couple of weeks.

No issues and won a couple of cards.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post

Has worked fine for me lately.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:47 PM

Default sniping

How is sniping different than just hitting the bid button a few seconds before the auction ends with a max bid ( other than not having to be there and physically hit the button ) ?
Old 06-17-2020, 02:38 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilly View Post
How is sniping different than just hitting the bid button a few seconds before the auction ends with a max bid ( other than not having to be there and physically hit the button ) ?
Was just thinking the same thing . . .

If I know I will bid up to say $1500 for something on eBay and not a penny more, why not just wait until their is 10 seconds left and enter my max bid? Never got the sniping thing. if others are willing to pay more I wont get it.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:02 PM
Al Richter

Comes in handy if you forget about an auction or are not in a position to make that last second bid.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Comes in handy if you forget about an auction or are not in a position to make that last second bid.
Sure, I get that. Don't have to hang over an auction. But, isn't that 90% of the fun?
Old 06-18-2020, 12:27 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Which was my situation.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:29 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Sure, I get that. Don't have to hang over an auction. But, isn't that 90% of the fun?
Playing golf in the Rocky Mountains today was also a lot of fun.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
90% of the fun is WINNING an auction!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
90% of the fun is WINNING an auction!
The other 10% is sales tax