NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Jimi

Default Building a "Top Ten" Collection

So, I have always loved HOFers and set collecting, but I really don't have the budget to collect EVERYTHING that I have typically wanted in the past, so I've decided I'm just collecting what I want at that particular moment instead of set guidelines. Those who have known me for awhile have seen me switch around my collection a bit weaving in and out of e98s, HOF RC collecting, 1945-46 Caramelo Deportivos, t206s, t205s, n28s, post war sets, T222 Fatimas, and plenty more.

So at the moment I'm focusing on HOFers in which I like the looks to, or have rare t206 backs, or a tough RC, and sort of building a TOP TEN of sorts. Basically, if I see something else that I'd rather have in my "top ten" then I will need to sell something to make it happen. SO, I don't consider any of my cards, necessarily, to be items that'll be stored away forever. No card is totally off the table, so long as there's something "cooler" out there I'd rather have. Make sense?

Anyone else doing a similar collection? Seems to me that I remember a guy on Net54 doing something like a Top 25 or something a few years ago. I could see my collection growing from "top ten" to "top 25" to building an insane HOF Collection, if I start making more money. I don't spend a dime of our income, so I have to make "wise choices" when I purchase things since there is a chance that the card would be sold some time down the road.

For what it's worth, I still LOVE HOF RCs, but knowing I'm not going to get 300 RCs anytime soon, I'm narrowing my focus for the time being.

There's got to be other freaks here like me RIGHT?!?!?

A handful in the top ten....for now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comiskey87PSAAUT.jpg (76.2 KB, 493 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle51SGC30.jpg (74.4 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb10SGC30.jpg (74.4 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg PlankSGC20.jpg (72.0 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg MattyCycleFrontANDBack.jpg (63.3 KB, 497 views)
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Great cards! I'm trimming down the dupes (errors/backs) to focus on my top 10 and back runs.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
So, I have always loved HOFers and set collecting, but I really don't have the budget to collect EVERYTHING that I have typically wanted in the past, so I've decided I'm just collecting what I want at that particular moment instead of set guidelines. Those who have known me for awhile have seen me switch around my collection a bit weaving in and out of e98s, HOF RC collecting, 1945-46 Caramelo Deportivos, t206s, t205s, n28s, post war sets, T222 Fatimas, and plenty more.

So at the moment I'm focusing on HOFers in which I like the looks to, or have rare t206 backs, or a tough RC, and sort of building a TOP TEN of sorts. Basically, if I see something else that I'd rather have in my "top ten" then I will need to sell something to make it happen. SO, I don't consider any of my cards, necessarily, to be items that'll be stored away forever. No card is totally off the table, so long as there's something "cooler" out there I'd rather have. Make sense?

Anyone else doing a similar collection? Seems to me that I remember a guy on Net54 doing something like a Top 25 or something a few years ago. I could see my collection growing from "top ten" to "top 25" to building an insane HOF Collection, if I start making more money. I don't spend a dime of our income, so I have to make "wise choices" when I purchase things since there is a chance that the card would be sold some time down the road.

For what it's worth, I still LOVE HOF RCs, but knowing I'm not going to get 300 RCs anytime soon, I'm narrowing my focus for the time being.

There's got to be other freaks here like me RIGHT?!?!?

A handful in the top ten....for now....
Hey Jimi,

Love the idea. I'm collection something somewhat similar. I'm strictly just collecting HOF autographed 'rookie cards', or the earliest signed card of said player
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Chris

I narrowed my rookie card goal to the top 24/25 players from the 40s-60s who wore New York uniforms (Dodgers, Yankees, Mets). I am also working on obtaining autographs for each of these players to accompany my set.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 04-16-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I narrowed my rookie card goal to the top 24/25 players from the 40s-60s who wore New York uniforms (Dodgers, Yankees, Mets). I am also working on obtaining autographs for each of these players to accompany my set.
Very cool! I see you are working on a Mantle run as well? What does that entail?
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM
nels0n aud.et

Nice collection jimi !
For my part i focus since 1 year now on my T206 set.. but sometime i have idea like you to buy what i want and have no guideline of collecting...
Perhaps some days....
I have many cards on my want list i would like to have someday ...
ruth goudey card....52 topps mantle or 51 bowman mantle.... cobb or jackson or other cracker jack HOF ... some caramel cards... a goudey lajoie !

anyway nice collection congrat
Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Dave H@rford

Default Losing my Focus

Jimi,
Several years ago I felt I was losing focus, getting too broad on my collection. I have narrowed mine to these and have done very well so far, with each set gaining several cards each year. I have given up on set collecting.

A. Not my "Top Ten", but my "Elite Eight" (player cards of ONLY their playing years-but this has given me a mini-type set as well)
1. Mordecai Brown
2. Frank Chance
3. Eddie Collins
4. Jimmy Collins
5. Nap Lajoie
6. Matty
7. Tris Speaker
8. Cy Young

B. T206 HOF's
C. T205 HOF's
D. E98 HOF's (all color variations)
E. Ted Williams (anything rare, cards or otherwise)

I think narrowing the focus made me appreciate my collection much more.
All the best,
Dave

Last edited by Harford20; 04-16-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harford20 View Post
Jimi,
Several years ago I felt I was losing focus, getting too broad on my collection. I have narrowed mine to these and have done very well so far, with each set gaining several cards each year. I have given up on set collecting.

A. Not my "Top Ten", but my "Elite Eight" (player cards of ONLY their playing years-but this has given me a mini-type set as well)
1. Mordecai Brown
2. Frank Chance
3. Eddie Collins
4. Jimmy Collins
5. Nap Lajoie
6. Matty
7. Tris Speaker
8. Cy Young

B. T206 HOF's
C. T205 HOF's
D. E98 HOF's (all color variations)
E. Ted Williams (anything rare, cards or otherwise)

I think narrowing the focus made me appreciate my collection much more.
All the best,
Dave
Very cool, Dave! Yeah, I've been narrowing down, too, BUT switching projects has been more of the concern. "MUST FOCUS!" I find myself saying, or, "Dude, you're almost there! Don't give up already!"

I am finding that I like collecting the bigger named HOFers especially on iconic cards like my '51B Mantle or with tough backs like the Cycle Matty.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Jason Stricker

Nice cards Jimi!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
Nice cards Jimi!
Thanks, Jason!

I know some of my cards are not RCs, but at some point I had to get really about owning prewar HOF RCs, right? So, settling in on some "almost RCs" or simply and image I like that represents the HOFer well works for me. Post war is a different ballgame.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Chris

Quote:
Very cool! I see you are working on a Mantle run as well? What does that entail?
Thanks. I figured it was an interesting approach to take and would allow me to just get the cards I really wanted. Beautiful cards by the way!

The Mantle run is a bit of a challenge. I am going after every card issued during his playing days, including all variations. To make it a bit more manageable, I'm not, at least initially, going to be purchasing most of the regional and test issues. In total, I think I will end up with about 187 or 188 cards when I am done, so roughly 30 more to add. It had been an exciting project and has really given me an opportunity to get to learn some more about oddball 50s and 60s cards.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have a list of my top 40 players through the 1967 set and my goal is to have at least one card of each (RCs from 1954 on), plus multiple cards of the very top players. I am up to 38 of 40.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Joann

That has to be one of the all-time great looking Mathewson - Blacks. What great color.

I used to collect pre-WWI cards of Detroit players. I wanted one from each set but ended up with lots of Detroiter commons from the larger sets - T206, etc. When I decided I wanted more focus, I thought I would go to a "Set of 25" but couldn't give up my Tigers focus.

So now I'm loosely working on two different sets of 25. One is 25 Detroit players, and the other is any 25 players. The second set is just nice cards that I've always wanted but never bought because they weren't Detroiters and didn't "fit" my collection - things like T206 Johnson Portrait, an E93 Phillipe at some point, etc.

good luck with your collecting. If you do as well on the rest as you did on the Matty, it'll be great!

J
Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Steve Murray

Mine was an "Elite 100". Keepers, never to leave the collection.

When I started to count them I was up to over 175 so I just changed it to my "Elite 200".

Keeps me going.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
Mine was an "Elite 100". Keepers, never to leave the collection.

When I started to count them I was up to over 175 so I just changed it to my "Elite 200".

Keeps me going.
Sounds like my elite 5478.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Steve

Jimi great topic. My situation is similar. I've been back in the hobby for just over a year and have really struggled to focus. After starting and eventually selling a number of sets I've come to the conclusion I'm just not a set collector. I respect those that are, but something about finishing the monster or another large set and having a bunch of cards sitting in my closet in a box doesn't appeal to me.

I do still have a passion for prewar cards though. What I have decided to do is rank the top 50 prewar players and get 1 card of each of these players. My eventual plan is to get a nice display case that holds 50 graded cards. This way I can always see/appreciate/show off my collection.

Everyone has a different ways they chose to collect, it's just about finding your sweet spot.

Good luck with your project.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtricks View Post
Jimi great topic. My situation is similar. I've been back in the hobby for just over a year and have really struggled to focus. After starting and eventually selling a number of sets I've come to the conclusion I'm just not a set collector. I respect those that are, but something about finishing the monster or another large set and having a bunch of cards sitting in my closet in a box doesn't appeal to me.
Steve, your story mirrors mine. I've been back into the hobby just about a year, in fact next Tuesday the 23rd is my one year mark here on Net54! I've also come to realize I'm not a set collector, I started 7 different sets but lost interest in all but one pretty quickly and sold them off to fund new endeavors. I'm still chipping away at a T209 B&W Contentea though, its the only set that has maintained its grip on my interest. Generally having a stack of George Mullin and Harry Howe type cards just didn't appeal to me as I attempted sets.

My only focuses right now are the previously mentioned T209s, Max Carey cards, and a loosely defined HOF collection that I'm assembling, in that any HOFer in any set/series if I like it becomes part of the collection. I've found a very zen and laid back approach to my collecting now as a result.

Find your happy place.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM
Ad@m Be11

Jimi, the idea of owning only 10 cards is pretty sweet, but I could see myself wanting to expand it to a higher number. 10 cards is such a narrow focus that I'd drive myself crazy trying to decide which one gets the axe. Then i would find myself regretting decisions to get rid of cards down the road. The one good thing is that it should allow you to afford some pretty cool cards as your card budget wouldn't be spread as thin.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 04-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBST95 View Post
Jimi, the idea of owning only 10 cards is pretty sweet, but I could see myself wanting to expand it to a higher number. 10 cards is such a narrow focus that I'd drive myself crazy trying to decide which one gets the axe. Then i would find myself regretting decisions to get rid of cards down the road. The one good thing is that it should allow you to afford some pretty cool cards as your card budget wouldn't be spread as thin.
Exactly, Adam! Sort of condensing the collection a bit in order to own some cards I normally couldn't have. I must admit though that my "Top Ten" has already expanded to a "Top 12" as there are 12 I just don't want to unload yet. I think that's the cool thing about it though for me. I'm ok expanding the list to 15 or 20 or even more as this project goes along. Someday I hope to have enough coin though to have an insane collection. Now is just not the time, my friend!
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Er1k Greeρ.w00d

I am loving the Top "n" collection concept, but I am afraid I would be in the same boat as Leon. Besides, how could I part with my Oscar Gamble collection?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGreenwood View Post
I am loving the Top "n" collection concept, but I am afraid I would be in the same boat as Leon. Besides, how could I part with my Oscar Gamble collection?
Well, for me, at least for the time being, I still have a bunch of unfinished projects including newer stuff, too. However, my Top 10 (now Top 12 LOL) is where my money goes, and the rest is stuff I trade for. I am just not going to spend money on my 1961 and 1963 Fleer sets, the 1983 Topps McGee RC I still need to complete that set, or a million other "low cost" projects I have. I belong to 3 trading groups online, which is a ton of fun to do while collecting an eclectic mix of things. Most of those guys are not spending much money on cards, and just enjoy swapping to fulfill list needs. Who doesn't like to trade....I mean c'mon?!
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
That has to be one of the all-time great looking Mathewson - Blacks. What great color.

I used to collect pre-WWI cards of Detroit players. I wanted one from each set but ended up with lots of Detroiter commons from the larger sets - T206, etc. When I decided I wanted more focus, I thought I would go to a "Set of 25" but couldn't give up my Tigers focus.

So now I'm loosely working on two different sets of 25. One is 25 Detroit players, and the other is any 25 players. The second set is just nice cards that I've always wanted but never bought because they weren't Detroiters and didn't "fit" my collection - things like T206 Johnson Portrait, an E93 Phillipe at some point, etc.

good luck with your collecting. If you do as well on the rest as you did on the Matty, it'll be great!

J
From one Detroit collector to another "Where have you been Joann"?

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Exactly, Adam! Sort of condensing the collection a bit in order to own some cards I normally couldn't have. I must admit though that my "Top Ten" has already expanded to a "Top 12" as there are 12 I just don't want to unload yet. I think that's the cool thing about it though for me. I'm ok expanding the list to 15 or 20 or even more as this project goes along. Someday I hope to have enough coin though to have an insane collection. Now is just not the time, my friend!
I've considered this idea many times over. 25 is probably the fewest I could do. And even at that, I think it'd be a 'Top 25' and side-projects x, y and z.

A slight spin put on the Top n, by a collector here a few years ago, was to increase n by 1 every year, on his birthday. I always thought that was an interesting idea.

Anyway, good luck with your to N's, folks. I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines

Regards,

Richard.

Last edited by cdn_collector; 04-18-2013 at 09:01 PM.