NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2020, 01:19 PM

Default friend of Bobby Richardson

I've had the pleasure of knowing Bobby Richardson for a long time. Back when restaurants could seat people we had a Friday morning club called the romeos, (retired old men eating out). Of course I've collected his cards also. I do kid him that I can afford his cards, I can't Mickey Mantle.
But best of all the cards are the stories he tells. We treat him like anyone else because he values our friendship and can be himself.
He brought many a famous player to our small town. Back in the 60's a local reporter kept after Bobby to bring someone famous home with him. At a high school football game the reporter noticed Bobby across the way with someone. He later saw Bobby and asked who it was. Bobby replied, no one special. It was Roger Maris.
I also got to know Tom Brewer who played for Boston. He ate lunch every Sunday in my aunts restaurant in Cheraw, S.C. until he passed away.
Thanks for reading.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:51 PM
Al Richter

Thanks for posting

Saw him play in person in the 1964 series, but I was rooting for the Cardinals :-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-17-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:23 PM

I was lucky enough to drive him to and from the airport last year. He was signing at a baseball card show . What a nice man . He gave me a signed copy of his book and was nice enough to sign a card for me.
He played in 30 consecutive World Series games... that is one bb record that will never be broken !

Last edited by quitcrab; 05-18-2020 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:52 PM
Steve

Never forget watching the seventh game of the 1962 WS in a barracks dayroom at Stead AFB when Willie McCovey hit the screaming line drive that appeared about to give the Giants a win. But Richardson intervened. Nice personal account that you provided. I have to wonder if perhaps Bobby, knowing Maris well, wanted to spare him from having to deal with the press for any reason.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:57 PM
Mike Dugan

A number of years ago Mr. Richardson was in town for a paid speaking event. As he began his speech he stopped, stepped around the podium and called out to a local who was a former minor league team mate of his and walked down to shake his hand and give him a hug. That made that gentleman feel like a million dollars. What a class act.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:11 AM

Played against his South Carolina team in 1970 and my recollection is that his shortstop was Whitey Ford’s son. My grandfather always thought he was was the best player in the “clutch” he ever saw.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:27 AM

Default Prople are always amazed

at the sincerity and humbleness that Bobby displays. I've seen so many times someone hesitant to approach him particularly in a restaurant and in one minute Bobby makes the person feel Bobby is the one that wants to meet him.
You'll notice his autograph is precise. He said when he was a kid his dad took him to a Cardinal game and he got Stan Musial's autograph. Bobby was impressed that Musial took the time to sign his name clearly. Bobby told himself that if anyone ever wanted his autograph he would write it so it's exact. Check any Bobby Richardson autograph.
Around here he's known by Robert by his long time friends.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:41 AM
D@vid L@dd

I love stories like this... Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2020, 01:34 PM

Default My favorite Bobby Richardson story...and a Kaline one

Yankee stadium had a water cooler in the home dugout and when Mantle would strike out, he would often kick the water cooler several times and cuss.
Afterwards, he'd pass Bobby siting on the bench and say, "sorry Bobby."
Mickey respected Bobby and knew he was a man of Christian values.

It's been said in a game at Yankee Stadium, playing the Detroit Tigers, a kid was mercilessly taunting Al Kaline in the outfield constantly saying, "Kaline, you're not half as good as Mantle. Finally having enough of it, Kaline said upon trotting off the field, "kid, nobody's half as good as Mickey Mantle !"
Old 05-27-2020, 06:56 AM
Wayne V

Default World Series Hero

My first baseball recollections (however hazy) were of 1960 World Series. What a great hitter he was, at the greatest of times. His production was as good as anyone in the World Series.
He was my favorite player, back in those days.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:34 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

The other night my wife was looking over my shoulder as I was looking through my 1961 Topps set binder, and she stopped me..."WHO IS THAT? Those eyes, he is so good looking!" I chuckled, that's Bobby Richardson...I think that may be the first time she has commented on any of my cards...haha.

I'm a big fan too...loved his book.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-31-2020, 07:48 AM
Jeff H

Bobby Richardson is a class act all the way. He was at a banquet at our church to raise money for a mission trip to Africa. Bobby was an absolute pleasure to talk with. My son and I got to set with Bobby during the meal. While we were setting there Bobby looks at my son and asks "How did a young man from Michigan become a Yankee fan". My son says to him "When I was younger I was watching a movie called Pride of the Yankees. I really liked the movie and became a fan that day". Bobby had a surprised look on his face says to my son "you know when I was a younger I went to the theater to watch a movie called Pride of the Yankees and when I walked out I said that I wanted to be a New York Yankee some day".
Bobby stayed for quite some time after dinner to sign autos for anyone that wanted one. He told stories from his playing days that were really fun. He sure played with some interesting characters.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:45 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
Bobby Richardson is a class act all the way. He was at a banquet at our church to raise money for a mission trip to Africa. Bobby was an absolute pleasure to talk with. My son and I got to set with Bobby during the meal. While we were setting there Bobby looks at my son and asks "How did a young man from Michigan become a Yankee fan". My son says to him "When I was younger I was watching a movie called Pride of the Yankees. I really liked the movie and became a fan that day". Bobby had a surprised look on his face says to my son "you know when I was a younger I went to the theater to watch a movie called Pride of the Yankees and when I walked out I said that I wanted to be a New York Yankee some day".
Bobby stayed for quite some time after dinner to sign autos for anyone that wanted one. He told stories from his playing days that were really fun. He sure played with some interesting characters.
Wow, thanks for sharing...
Old 06-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This thread was moved from the post war section so a few more members can read it. Great stories and thanks for sharing.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:11 PM

I remember him at the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates 50th anniversary reunion one month after the actual anniversary. He was the only former Yankees player at the event and said to Bob Costas while watching the replay of the game in the Byham Theatre, "This is exciting!" He was very nice and was a great story teller. He, Dick Groat and Bill Virdon were on stage with Costas. Mazeroski couldn't attend because of, I believe, a kidney stone.

In the audience were the now late Hal Smith as well as Joe Christopher, ElRoy Face, Vernon Law and Pittsburgh native Michael Keaton. Keaton quipped about his jealousy of Law's head of hair.

There is a recording on disc available online.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Don Hontz

Great Stories--I really enjoy reading them--I remember Bobby in I believe the 1960 World Series, I think he got 12 hits in the Series, a Record at the time.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:50 PM
John D.

I have seen him at a few shows over the years, but a few years ago he was in Scranton at the stadium for an old timers event that was held the day after the Yankees Old Timers day that year. We were at a reception after the game and he was incredibly kind. We were there till the end and as we were leaving the locker room, I noticed him standing out in the stands by himself. I went over to say thanks to him one more time and we ended up talking for about 20 minutes. I joked with him and told him that I always thought I was born too late and wished I was around to see the Yankees of the 50's play live in their prime.

The stories that he told were incredible, especially the Mantle ones. I was fortunate to be able to meet Mickey a few times, but told him I always regretted not meeting Maris. He took the time to tell me some really interesting stories about Maris that just made my day.

A true gentleman
Old 06-01-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
Great Stories--I really enjoy reading them--I remember Bobby in I believe the 1960 World Series, I think he got 12 hits in the Series, a Record at the time.
MVP of the 1960 World Series. I believe he is still the only player to hold that distinction. I haven't checked.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:57 PM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:17 PM
Bruce Fairchild

He was one of my favorites!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:50 PM
Bob McLean

I had the opportunity to meet Bobby Richardson at a card show in Orlando in the nineties. He was signing at a central location in Belz Factory Outlet Mall and a dealer across from me told him his son was disappointed that he didn't get to meet Bobby because somebody had to stay at the table while dad got the autographs. During a break Mr. Richardson took it upon himself to walk down to where the kid was and talk to him for a few minutes. When he walked by I commented on what a nice gesture that was. He stopped and talked with me for a few minutes. He can tell a great story and revered Mantle, although he stated that Mantle had a different lifestyle that Mickey was the best teammate you could ask for. He did not have that high opinion of Joe D however. Likely because of the aloof nature of the man.