NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Mark Fox

Default how tempted are you to stray from your "sets" or "types" as you collect

As I've mentioned in threads before, I'm a couple months along on my journey of getting back into collecting and vintage cards are really completely new to me. I started off doing a lot of reading, research and browsing before settling on a 3 sets that really caught my eye and interest, those being T205, 1934 Goudey and 1948 Leaf so I decided to concentrate on those to start with and see where it takes me.

As I browse the auctions sites and the threads on here I always come across issues and cards I've never seen or that spark my curiosity for 1 reason or another. Something will catch my eye, I'll look into the player or issuing company and take an interest in the topic.

So I keep having to constantly remind myself to stick to my 3 sets of interest, it's not that I have lost any interest in those sets, far from it! But with access to so much knowledge and information I suffer from the kid in a candy store syndrome.

Anyone else suffer from this wonderful dilemma?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Ed McCollum

Default I'm pretty much OCD

or CDO as my son refers to it, because it should be listed alphabetically.

But I have no trouble sticking to my one goal. I admire others sets and collections, and even specific examples, but always go back to that's not what I set my focus on, and my collection will mean more to me long run if I stick to the goal.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

And.... I'm the exact opposite. I pretty much collect everything, with little focus. I have a few long term goals, but to me long term is a decade or more. Reality has meant setting a few of those aside, but that's not so bad.

Steve B
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Jeff P

Default My two goal system

I have two levels of goals. One a high level set of goals I want to accomplish over time and the second a near term set of goals focused on particular sets or cards I want to obtain. That way I stay pretty much on point with whatever I am focusing on but if a great opportunity presents itself to fulfill a longer term goal, I don't pass it up and regret it later.

Put another way, I'll spend a bit more on near term items to make some progress but won't pass up good deals that are aligned with longer term goals.

jeff
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Josh Margolin

I collect basically anything that catches my eye. There are some sets that I like more than others, but on the whole, I think there are great looking cards in most sets (besides Delongs, I hate those things). I wish I had some focus, it would make figuring out what to acquire a whole lot easier.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Steve Freedman

I'm collecting a type set - 1 of every type of card made up to 1980. That way my scattered approach gives the appearance of focus. It's scattered in that I'm not doing it in any particular order, just whatever happens to come up that I can afford, but focused in that I'm not getting anything that does not "fit" into my collection.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Tony Ooten

I usually only stray when The well dries up, or the water in the well gets deeper than my rope.

I'm alot closer to CDO than not, plus I'm a bit on the cheap side, so I'm pretty good at focusing as long as there are cards available and affordable in my cross-hairs.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 AM
JeR@Me

Default Tempted ?

I am very tempted to stray these days, as I lack just a couple of types for my Nashville Type collection and I will probably be waiting for years to pick up the last few pieces (which is ok... as they are super rare. My straying starts bleeding into other Southern Teams as I have to quinch my collecting thirst somehow...
Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I am pretty good about focusing...but I also think it is my collection and I should build it in the way that pleases me and if a stray Dick Bancroft that does not fit into my collecting interests crosses my way and I find it appealing, I go for it.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Zach

I stray here and there when collecting my HOFer subsets. While I was trying to build my 1938 Goudey HOFer subset I went ahead and bought two dream hockey cards a 1966 Topps Bobby Orr and a 1958 Topps Bobby Hull. I just could not resist the auctions.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my focus

My focus is "straying." When I see something I like and think it's an ok price, I don't mind adding it to my collection.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM

My problem is every time I collect a couple of cards as types or just because I really like their looks, I find myself driven to complete the set. That is why I never ventured in to the E100, E107 or T211 sets
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

As the prices escalate beyond my limits on T206 errors & rare backs I have started to look at other error types.

Scrap or just MC, neat either way?

Last edited by atx840; 05-15-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Steve Freedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
My focus is "straying." When I see something I like and think it's an ok price, I don't mind adding it to my collection.

Leon, do you consider that a baseball card or just an interesting piece of ephemera?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrister View Post
Leon, do you consider that a baseball card or just an interesting piece of ephemera?
It's ephemera but since there are many collectors who collect tickets, that is really what it is. I don't consider it a card but I have seen weirder items considered cards.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Steven

I have "prioritized" my focus and as others have said I will not pass up a good deal on a lower goal but try to stay focused. Usually Ill get all jacked up for a day on something and then it fades. If it stays, I will start to include it in the focus if the budget allows which hasnt been the case with the surge of CJs. I learned this from my wife...If I am undecided I will try to let it sink in. Sometimes this takes hours and other times weeks but the gut feeling emerges and I have never been led astray. I just realized how much I love t200s with REA coming and going, but theyll have to wait...unless someone has a BOston NL they want to part with!