NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-25-2021, 09:33 AM

Default Baseball card hall of fame voting has begun

https://youtu.be/UJH9Kwpt3LA

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ting-underway/

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2021, 10:27 AM
Chris Counts

They let in Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe last year, so they've managed to do two things the other Hall of Fame has failed to accomplish.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:04 PM
Rich Klein

Dr. Beckett has done a couple of podcasts as he has enjoyed this concept as well.

This one ran today

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...EegQIBBAF&ep=6
Old 05-26-2021, 01:33 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I think it's a phenomenal idea, love it. Feed the nerd inside me to rank what interests me. Very cool that I have a majority of the cards, and I am sure this will spur interest in completing the HOFers even though some may be impossible.

I took the Democrat view point and voted twice...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-27-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Dr. Beckett has done a couple of podcasts as he has enjoyed this concept as well.

This one ran today

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...EegQIBBAF&ep=6
Thanks rich for voting.
I appreciate it.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2021, 05:57 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default HOF voting

Man its gonna be just like the real HOF..... first the greats, then the ones who dont belong..... I voted only for the Lajoie..... look at whats already in there, getting out of control fast. What next, every Mantle/Mays/Clemente/Jackie card out there? Junk wax will go in as an unopened case! LOL
Old 05-29-2021, 03:06 PM
Curt

Pretty much, like any other popularity contest.

What makes a specific baseball card worthy of "Hall of Fame" status outside the player shown? Rookie cards, short prints, high value to name a few, I am sure.

Does the image matter, such as the 53 Reese, 71 Munson, etc? Certainly appears it does, but it has to be a combination of a star and a great image. Will the 1973 Luis Alvarado make it simply based on the action shot with the very unusual background? What makes a 39 Play Ball DiMaggio all that special, besides the fact it is DiMaggio? It's rather boring looking actually, like a lot of the early Bowman sets. The 51 Doby is a great card, especially considering the rest of the set, but was he good enough to warrant HOF status with that exceptional card? Will Oscar "Mickey Mouse" Gamble ever qualify? how about Kurt "Bubble" Bevacqua? How iconic outside of the flipping, trading & bubblegum book is the very odd 52T Gus Zernial card?

The 1933 Delong, 1938 Goudey and 1951 Topps Connie Mack All-Stars were favorites of mine as a kid because of what I thought was over the top design and.or art work. At least 1 card from those sets belongs, so let me guess (Gehrig, DiMaggio & Ruth or one of the super SP modern AS cards.

Fun concept, but like the regular HOF, will be hotly debated for the choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Man its gonna be just like the real HOF..... first the greats, then the ones who dont belong..... I voted only for the Lajoie..... look at whats already in there, getting out of control fast. What next, every Mantle/Mays/Clemente/Jackie card out there? Junk wax will go in as an unopened case! LOL
Old 05-29-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
How is it just the greats? No t206 Plank, M101-4/5 Ruth, 1933 Goudey Lajoie. Baltimore News Ruth and 1925 Exhibit Gehrig not even eligible? Yet a card in because it has a cuss word on it as well as several worthless junk wax era rookie cards. Who is voting in this? It is more like Harold Baines and Jack Morris being part of the inaugural class and Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson having to wait years to get in. It is already a joke.There are lots of great cards that they are completely ignoring. Certainly no collectors are part of this.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
How iconic outside of the flipping, trading & bubblegum book is the very odd 52T Gus Zernial card?
Hey, that's canon for us card nerds. But the prophet Gus forgives you and wants you know on behalf of the secret world government that everything is

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-01-2021, 05:49 PM
Chris Counts

It seems to me that the Baseball Card Hall of Fame should be about the best cards, not the best players or most valuable cards. As for Ozark Ike's '52, I would put it in the first class of inductees. Is there a stranger card ever? I love it, and the book that inspired it, which suggests the balls are attached to the bat with postage stamp hinges, and the sign he is giving is an order for cinnamon doughnuts. "Goodnight Sibbi Sisti wherever you are ..."
Old 06-01-2021, 10:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
"Goodnight Sibbi Sisti wherever you are ..."
The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book was the first baseball card book I ever saw. My uncle got me a copy in 1973 and I read it until it fell apart. It jumpstarted my interest in older cards. It is still a great read because it is about the cards, not the hobby, not the money, the cards.

"In 1955, there were 77,263,127 male American human beings. And every one of them in his heart of hearts would have given two arms, a leg and his collection of Davy Crockett iron-ons to be Teddy Ballgame."

It is still one of my all-time favorite cards; when I got my first one around 1977 I was ecstatic because it was in the book.

Or not...
Old 06-01-2021, 11:53 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Teddy Ballgame has a lot of good-looking cards, but the 1955 is my favorite by a country mile. Perfect poses
Old 06-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Teddy Ballgame has a lot of good-looking cards, but the 1955 is my favorite by a country mile. Perfect poses
If you follow design theory at all, triangular composition is one of the most effective ways of presenting an image and this card has it. it conveys depth and balance. Your eye is drawn up and in towards the top center of the card. The 1954 #250, which is my second favorite card of him, is not as effective a composition because your eye is not drawn to a specific vanishing point:

it is more of an "11": two parallel tracks of vision. Now, the 1954 Wilsons Franks card that Topps made is a similar but more visually effective card because the single image draws your eye towards a single point:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-02-2021 at 11:11 AM.