NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2021, 07:52 AM
Mark Fox

Default T212 1910 Obak Master Front-Back Checklist

A number of years ago I started to collect Obaks focusing mostly on the 1909 series and the 1910 series. Like most of my interests or goals, things changed with my collection and I pivoted to other interests. But recently my interest in the T212 1910 series has been rekindled. I did a search for a master front/back checklist but I could not find anything. So I took some time and after some internet sleuthing I was able to pull together a master front/back combination checklist.

Vintagecardboard.com which is a now a defunct website, had a simple and rather difficult to use basic table of the front/back combinations known at the time. The last cached version of the site I was able to access was dated from 2010 so much of the information in my table is over 10 years and and new combinations may have come to light since then...but this is a good enough start for me. Im sure after posting this someone will point out that there was an existing checklist and I simply overlooked it but I figured I would share my work anyways.

Here is the link to my checklist in Google Documents. Anyone can open and download the table so please feel free too.

T212 1910 Front/Back Master Checklist

And a couple pretty T212 pics to look at as well.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:54 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Wow, super helpful spreadsheet Mark, especially for us Obak fans. Thank you for posting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-10-2021, 02:15 PM

Great checklist! I'm comparing my set against it. I found one not on the checklist:

Armbruster (175) "Always with Mouthpieces"
Old 06-10-2021, 02:27 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks for the work. I don't know if the website you cited had any connection to VCBC, but there was a checklist compiled years ago by Jeff Obermyer in the Jan and March 2001 issues. Quite possible there are changes since then of course, but have you cross-checked against that list?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:03 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by t213 View Post
Great checklist! I'm comparing my set against it. I found one not on the checklist:

Armbruster (175) "Always with Mouthpieces"
I have updated the checklist, thanks for the information.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:12 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Thanks for the work. I don't know if the website you cited had any connection to VCBC, but there was a checklist compiled years ago by Jeff Obermyer in the Jan and March 2001 issues. Quite possible there are changes since then of course, but have you cross-checked against that list?
I believe the checklist I was working off of, which can be found here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100518...bkbk.htm#x1911

Is an updated version of the checklist that was printed in VCBC in the early 2000s:
Old 06-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I believe the checklist I was working off of, which can be found here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100518...bkbk.htm#x1911

Is an updated version of the checklist that was printed in VCBC in the early 2000s:
The January, 2001 VCBC provided a checklist by back totals only, i.e. not a list that associated backs with individual players. However, in the accompanying article Obermeyer states "When VCBC published my updated checklist (presumably the 2000 list in your scan), I asked the readers to help out and to send any additions that they had to me. I received 9 responses containing another 77 combinations, bringing the list of known combinations to 584--that's roughly a 40% increase to what was originally reported in the World Index".

I can't find my copy of the March 2001 VCBC right now to see what further elaboration might be there. Does your checklist show 584 (or more) different?

Thanks again for the work--it's always nice to have a working spreadsheet when dealing with a set this massive.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:28 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
The January, 2001 VCBC provided a checklist by back totals only, i.e. not a list that associated backs with individual players. However, in the accompanying article Obermeyer states "When VCBC published my updated checklist (presumably the 2000 list in your scan), I asked the readers to help out and to send any additions that they had to me. I received 9 responses containing another 77 combinations, bringing the list of known combinations to 584--that's roughly a 40% increase to what was originally reported in the World Index".

I can't find my copy of the March 2001 VCBC right now to see what further elaboration might be there. Does your checklist show 584 (or more) different?

Thanks again for the work--it's always nice to have a working spreadsheet when dealing with a set this massive.
Thats some good information there. The count in my sheet comes to just 513 so it would seem there are some holes to fill. Perhaps the March issue of VCBC will provide some more information, you dont think it contained an updated list...or you're just not sure?

Keep me posted if you find it, Im off to find a copy of that issue on Ebay perhaps.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:31 PM
Mark Fox

I found a copy of the March article which does contain a new table of combinations. I will work this evening to incorporate that updated list into mine. I'll post here again when it completed. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:43 PM
Todd Schultz

Great Mark--keep up the good work. I don't even collect Obaks, but I always love it when set info is developed and fleshed out. I started to save and organize scans from the 1910 set, but put it on hold a year or so ago. As you can see, I am not even halfway:
https://imageevent.com/imoverhere/scans/1910obak

BTW, I did not review your list closely and it's possible collectors couldn't care less, but have you noticed whether individual player/back combinations can carry the two different frame back designs. or instead is each such combination found with only one?
Old 06-11-2021, 02:26 PM
Mark Fox

So I was able to get my checklist updated with the checklist that was printed in the March 2001 issue of VCBC and my checklist is now up to 566 combinations.

While Jeff Obermyer stated in the March 2001 article that his table was up to 586 combinations, the player list checklist printed in that issue only shows 560 combinations, but the other table printed in that issue, updating how many of each back there are does total up to 586.

So it would seem his player list checklist never got updated in print unfortunately, and so the checklist I have pulled together is missing 20 combinations or so. Perhaps board members will help fill in some of these apparent 20 holes.

Last edited by markf31; 06-11-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:20 AM
Mark Fox

Some updates have been made to the table as a board member sent me 6 missing combinations, this pushes the total to 572 combinations.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:57 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Thank you for putting this together and publicly sharing the results. Sometimes I think checklisting master sets is as much fun as actually getting the cards
Old 06-23-2021, 10:36 AM
Mark Fox

Three more combinations have been added from a board member. The total number of front/back combinations now stands at 575.