NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: warshawlaw 

Still on the issue of my 1971 set: I've noticed many dealers selling high grade commons from sets in the 1970's at a huge premium over the "book" price. Personally, I won't spend $10 on a $1.50 book card when a nice example that I can live with can be found for $2, but that's me. I saw a lot of people buying these "ultra" commons at the show.

Has anyone else building sets noticed this type of pricing? Any theories as to why this is happening? Anyone out there (SCD, Beckett) studying this issue for upcoming price guides? Shouldn't the multipliers for high end cards be raised accordingly?

Old 09-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

I think it is entirely because of the set registries and people now trying to put together complete sets in graded form. Low Pop commons will sell for a huge premium. Dealers probably see the prices graded 9's and 10's bring and correctly or incorrectly price their cards with that in mind.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Several years ago, I was trying to amass money for a Lipset auction (in which i won a gorgeous radbourne--not the portrait), and the local card shop said, bring As and Giants (natch, I live in Berkeley). So I brought some, including a Goudey, and I threw in my best '71 Topps, which happened to be Bobby Bonds. Dave put his loupe on (this for a $3 card? I'm thinking), spends 5 minutes looking all around the edge, and then hands me my 3 dollars.

I spent a lot of time laughing about it, until someone told me that unchipped, mint '71s bring an ENORMOUS premium, especially when graded. I probably sold him a $50 card...

Old 09-12-2003, 02:58 AM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: jay behrens

High grade 71s have always commanded a premium, and now with grading, it's gotten worse. Especially High numbers, the Orioles team card (#1) and Dick Drago (#752 the last card). I have a bunch of high number 71s that graded out SGC 86-92, but haven't tested the market yet.

Jay

Old 09-12-2003, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: runscott

I have loads of these - if anyone needs specific cards, let me know. They are mostly ex or better, and I'm not looking for book.

I don't have a prepared list, or prices (not worth the trouble) - if you want something, send specifics and I will go dig up the card.

Old 09-12-2003, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

send me a list as I have a nice run of high numbers in EX to NRMT. And I'm nowhere near book on them.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Remember that both the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards and the Beckett Almanac price vintage cards in Near Mint condition. This is not the "high grade" that plastic collectors are looking for, and paying premiums for.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: yes but no too

Beckett does publish a chart in its vintage mag that shows multipliers for cards in different grades than listed. If what I saw is true, these charts are waaay off base for commons like the 71's. I realize that SCD's book does not use a chart like that. My question to you (SCD) was meant more as "is this a phenomenon that I am seeing that is going to be subject of commentary in the future" not as "why aren't you guys reacting to the market".

BTW, remember when near mint was the basic stock collector's grade? Sigh...

Old 09-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: warshawlaw

is that just because some dealer says the card is ultra-high-grade doesn't mean that the grading wonks will agree. I mean, I generally grade cards consistently with SGC, but I can't guarantee that a "really nice" card will pass muster. The "premium" commons I saw over the weekend ranged from ex-mt to mn-mt+. There were no cards I'd consider a "9" and certainly no "10" cards in there, yet many were priced at 4x and 5x "book".

Old 09-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default common pricing

Posted By: TBob

I put one together in 1981, card by card, searching through about 25 of each number to get the best card available, from a now defunct local card shop. I think my 71 set is one of the best around but as I think I might end up selling it to buy more vintage cards, I see the way to go is to have as many of the star and other notable cards graded. It's a shame to break it up but I agree, the money is definitely in low pop cards.