NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-01-2021, 08:19 PM
J.O.N

Default Storing or displaying round cards.

I’ve recently completed a set of round cards. Lots of double too. Not sure how to store or display these.

Any ideas or examples out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:55 PM
Bob C.

I believe they fit just nicely into 4 pocket pages. But if you're looking to display some separately on a shelf or elsewhere, your options are limited and you'll probably be stuck having to use oversized top loaders. Really isn't anything made specifically for them.

Are all of those just Isaly's/Sweet William discs, or do you have some of the other distributor's discs as well? There are quite a few different companies that put out the discs. They usually aren't overly expensive, but most of the different distributors were regional companies so some of the distributors/brands may be a little harder to find than most, but not ridiculously tough. I think they are very neat items, especially the Pepsi discs which were perforated and included as part of a large insert as if the discs, which look like baseballs, were sitting in the pocket of a baseball glove that had a really long tab below the glove that was then stuck/inserted into one of the slots in a 6 or 8 pack carton of bottled Pepsi back in the day. When you bought the carton of Pepsi you'd just pull out the insert with the glove and tab and just punch out the disc along the perforations so they'd end up looking just like the Isaly's discs you've got. These mid-70s disc sets includes some great 70s players, and because of their round shape, you can generally find them in really nice condition.

Last edited by BobC; 10-02-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:08 AM
J.O.N

They are not expensive. Which I great cuz I find them fun. What I pictured above is a complete set of Isaly’s I completed not long ago. I have a bunch of doubles.

I do have some others. Like these Pepsi ones.

The smaller Tony Perez one is fun with the coveted Mrs. Fangburger back.

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:15 AM
M@rk Comer

Personally I display in top loaders; look pretty good that way to me.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:03 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Drink coasters??
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-02-2021, 05:05 PM
Gary

As far as storage i have some boxes like these that I use for my 1976 Crane Discs.

https://www.amazon.com/Round-Paper-M...-crafts&sr=1-7

It holds one set in a box nicely.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

For a spur of the moment need, how about an old, cleaned-up Pringles can?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:12 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Good try, but don't think they'd fit. Also would need to really clean them well so no oil or residue from the Pringle's chips would get on the discs. You may be able to find some cardboard mailing tubes with the proper diameter to do the trick for storage, but won't help for display. For display, best is in 4 pocket page sheets, or use the oversized top loaders just wide enough to accomodate the width of a disc.

Nice group of discs the OP has. There are quite a few more brands of discs out there as well. Also, the Burger Chef (Fangburger) discs are smaller than the Isaly's and most other brands of discs, and were included as part of the kid's meals boxes, if I remember correctly. There were 9 discs to a box, and each box was for a single major league team. Would be great if you could display them as complete boxes, but they didn't have all 9 player discs on one side of the box, so you'd have to display the front and backs of the kid's meal boxes to be able to see all 9 player discs then. And they were perforated so you could punch the discs out from the boxes, same as you'd punch those Pepsi discs out from their carton inserts.

I noticed the OP also had some King-B discs as well. Those are different (and smaller) than the Isaly's discs which were produced for many different distributors (including Burger Chef) by Michael Schecter Associates (MSA). With the exception of smaller versions like the Burger Chef or Wiffle Ball version discs, most all other MSA produced and licensed discs were all the sams 3-3/8" diameter with identical black and white player portraits in the center of each disc. And the MSA licensed and produced discs themselves were most often portrayed as baseballs. And MSA even distributed their own blank-backed version of these discs as well, if memory serves.

Because of their smaller size, I believe the King-B and other non-MSA discs can be easily displayed/stored in either standard 9 pocket page sheets, or in regular card top loaders. I'd also suggest using a regulard card sized penny sleeve before putting them in the top loaders or pocket pages so they don't move around.

The various MSA discs are fun, and not expensive, Anyone collecting them should think about trying to go after the various other backs/brands MSA produced besides just the Isaly's/Pepsi/Burger Chef ones the OP is showing.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:30 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Or a clear plastic tennis ball can. Remove the label and you can see whats inside.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:15 AM
Alan Strout

The Boy Scouts of America have some top load 6 pocket sheets that are used for uniform patches. They work well for Dixie Lids and fit into a regular binder. I think they come 5 sheets per pack. Should work great for the Islay's discs.

1954 Dixie Lids #1.JPG

1954 Dixie Lids (Backs) #1.jpg
Old 10-03-2021, 02:01 PM
Curt

I have never seen in person or owned 6 pocket pages, so not sure if the common 70s MSA discs fit. I know they fit 4 pocket pages fine. Those are too big for any of the smaller discs (King B, Slim Jim, FBI, Burger Chef, etc) and some of those are small enough to fit in standard toploaders.

The slurpee 3D coins fit in the 12 pocket pages nicely.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:34 PM
J.O.N

I went around to a few craft stores looking for options. I’d like to eventually put the set in pages. For my doubles I made this.

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:36 PM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
The Boy Scouts of America have some top load 6 pocket sheets that are used for uniform patches. They work well for Dixie Lids and fit into a regular binder. I think they come 5 sheets per pack. Should work great for the Islay's discs.

Attachment 481364

Attachment 481365

Love ice cream tops. I believe they are smaller than the Isaly’s. But still cool.

Kinda getting into these round cards the more I look around.

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:07 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I have never seen in person or owned 6 pocket pages, so not sure if the common 70s MSA discs fit.
The Boy Scout 6 pocket sheets will definitely hold the 1970's MSA discs.

1976 MSA Discs #2B.jpg
Old 10-04-2021, 07:00 PM
Curt

Is the page taller than a standard 3 ring binder or will they fit inside without poking out the top? I guess it would also be good to know if they are 3 hole punched as well.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I have never seen in person or owned 6 pocket pages, so not sure if the common 70s MSA discs fit. I know they fit 4 pocket pages fine. Those are too big for any of the smaller discs (King B, Slim Jim, FBI, Burger Chef, etc) and some of those are small enough to fit in standard toploaders.

The slurpee 3D coins fit in the 12 pocket pages nicely.
The 6-pocket pages are designed for cards that are long and not wide, stuff like 1994 Fleer Extra Bases or 1971 Topps Greatest Moments.

4-pocket work for me for the 1976 MSA disks.

I've been buying 25 packs of the odd size sheets on Amazon, not too crazy price wise. I always keep a stock of various sizes for all those weird Yankees cards I find.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:04 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Is the page taller than a standard 3 ring binder or will they fit inside without poking out the top? I guess it would also be good to know if they are 3 hole punched as well.
That 6 pocket page shown was especially for Boy Scout patches, and doesn't appear to have the punched hole to go in a binder. As homerunderby posted, the 6 pocket pages for binders won't hold the MSA discs and are made for cards like the 70-71 Topps basketball cards, or maybe unfolded matchbook covers, tall and thin. For the regular size MSA discs, they're 3-3/8" in diamter, and fit nicely in the 4 pocket binder sheet pages. For the smaller discs, like those King-B ones, they should fit in a regular 9 pocket binder sheet page.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:14 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
The Boy Scout 6 pocket sheets are 3 hole punched and nearly the exact size as standard 9 pocket sheets. I have my 1950's Orioles cards in a standard 3 ring binder, which includes 8 pocket, 9 pocket and the BSA 6 pockets sheets. The sheets line up nicely without sticking out either top/bottom or side/side.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:33 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
I went around to a few craft stores looking for options. I’d like to eventually put the set in pages. For my doubles I made this.

Hey Jon,

Funny thing, was going through some old bottles and cans and came across an empty can container for Pirouline creme filled wafers. The wafer part is hollow like a straw and they are filled with chocolate or some kind of creme filling. Anyway, the cans these are sold in are round, about 6-1/2" high, and the perfect diameter to store MSA discs in. If not for this thread, I never would have thought about trying it to see if they fit. The nice part is they are metal, so maybe a little sturdier than the card board tubes. And the cap is metal also and just snugly fits on the top. Thought I'd pass that on for anyone else looking to store MSA discs in something other than a binder. Not sure where these are sold, but you can probably check online. The brand name on the can is pirouline. And they make a nice candy/treat you can give to the wife/girlfriend, and then you can use the empty container for yourself. Just an FYI.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:02 AM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Hey Jon,

Funny thing, was going through some old bottles and cans and came across an empty can container for Pirouline creme filled wafers. The wafer part is hollow like a straw and they are filled with chocolate or some kind of creme filling. Anyway, the cans these are sold in are round, about 6-1/2" high, and the perfect diameter to store MSA discs in. If not for this thread, I never would have thought about trying it to see if they fit. The nice part is they are metal, so maybe a little sturdier than the card board tubes. And the cap is metal also and just snugly fits on the top. Thought I'd pass that on for anyone else looking to store MSA discs in something other than a binder. Not sure where these are sold, but you can probably check online. The brand name on the can is pirouline. And they make a nice candy/treat you can give to the wife/girlfriend, and then you can use the empty container for yourself. Just an FYI.

I’ve had those before. Never thought of those canisters working. The wife just had some of the pumpkin flavored ones. I will have to try those.

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:59 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
I’ve had those before. Never thought of those canisters working. The wife just had some of the pumpkin flavored ones. I will have to try those.

Yeah, who would have thought. I already have a small stack of MSA discs sitting in the can I found. Good stuff!