NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-30-2021, 01:17 PM

Default Any way to find out RBIs per PA for a player?

This is going to be a weird question or perhaps an odd way of going about it. There is a baseball set released in 2017 called Honus Bonus that has a large amount of 1/1 cards per player per a specific stat. Most of the sets are pretty straight forward, for example There are 240 1/1s for each of Matt Kemp's 240 HRs up until 2016.

There are three sets where RBIs are the stat that is tracked and they are for Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Miguel Cabrera. The official info from HBP is that there are 1180 cards for the Miguel Cabrera RBI set, which is less than the 1553 RBI on the stats on the back. This means that there are "combined stat" cards in these sets for RBI players, as evidenced by the fact that I bought a Cabrera which showcases RBIs 610-611-612 from a 3-run HR he hit off Alan Embree on August 9, 2008.

The problem now is that the checklist cannot be 1-1180 and instead has these combined stat cards in between. Presuming it would be possible to find a per-plate appearance RBI log for a player, a checklist could likely be determined... BUT this is what I do not know how to find. There doesn't seem to be a way to see this type of thing on Baseball-Reference.

If anyone has any idea of how to look up the per-plate appearance RBI log for these players up until 2016 it would help.

And I am under the impression that these RBI sets would have a card highlighting the non-hit possibilities of generating an RBI...

Last edited by Tripredacus; 09-30-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:13 PM
Scott Russell

Division?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-30-2021, 02:41 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian sports cards View Post
division?
rbi/pa

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:48 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I think OP is asking about a list of at-bats Miguel Cabrera had an RBI in. I looked at his game logs in Baseball-Reference and it lists his stat line for each game he appeared in, broken up by year. From there you could determine how many games he had an RBI in, and for multi-RBI games, how many at-bats he needed to drive in those runs. Alternatively, you could reach out to the manufacturer and ask for a checklist.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
I think OP is asking about a list of at-bats Miguel Cabrera had an RBI in. I looked at his game logs in Baseball-Reference and it lists his stat line for each game he appeared in, broken up by year. From there you could determine how many games he had an RBI in, and for multi-RBI games, how many at-bats he needed to drive in those runs. Alternatively, you could reach out to the manufacturer and ask for a checklist.
If you understand the point of this, you're a better man than I.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:24 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If you understand the point of this, you're a better man than I.
I am not so sure abut the last part but the first part I completely understood and believe to be the correct answer.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:48 AM

I have emailed the manufacturer, but we'll see if they even have the information anymore.

EDIT: the point of this was that the manufacturer did not release a checklist, only a print run. Each card is unique and for the RBI sets it is impossible to know what each card has printed on it. The only way I could think of manually making the checklist was to get a plate appearance log for the 3 players to put together a "best guess" as to the order of the cards, but I was not able to determine how to do this on Baseball-Reference or if there was another website that it could be done with.

Last edited by Tripredacus; 10-05-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:16 AM
Dave

Baseball reference gives the play by play for each box score of every game. It's time consuming as hell, but if you look that up for every game Cabrera has played, I assume that would give you your answers.

Control-F on your keyboard to search for the "Cabrera" name within each box score breakdown.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:59 AM

I did what you said, it took me about 2 hours to document all PAs with an RBI for Bryce Harper between 2012 and 2016. Very time consuming and a distraction messes me up and have to redo the entire year. I'm dreading to do the Cabrera one but this is the type of thing I think that if I don't do it, no one will.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:24 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

From the school of 'there's an app for that', I'm sure there is - or can be an algorithm for it.

Find a nerd and tell him what you want.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-11-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Find a nerd and tell him what you want.
That's why I posted a thread here.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:36 AM

I tried to use the same method to generate the RBI list for Miguel Cabrera as I did for Bryce Harper (but using a yearly total check to make sure I was being accurate) and ran into a problem. That is when a run scores during a player's at-bat, and the Run is attributed to them but doesn't count in their RBI total. This happened on July 30, 2003 where 4 runs scored during an at-bat for Cabrera but he only got 3 RBI.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00307300.shtml

This particular plate appearance was messing me up, while it shows RRO for Cabrera, only 1 of the RBI counted. Here are the details:

Quote:
Groundout: 2B unassisted/Forceout at 2B; Pierre Scores/unER; Castillo Scores/Adv on E4 (throw)/No RBI/unER
I had not seen the "no RBI" notation because widescreen view is disabled by default, and I wasn't verifying the RBI on the game log page vs the R on the R/O column of the play list.

Now considering it took me 30 minutes to only go through 2003 and backtrack every game to find the issue, I'm feeling like the manual approach is going to take forever. BUT, I did find that potentially I can just run a report on baseball-reference to find this information, but it is locked behind a subscription service.

https://stathead.com/baseball/event_...r_id=cabremi01

Is there anyone here that already has a Stathead Baseball subscription that can view the "Results" on this page?