NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default This Makes Me Cringe

TPGs shouldn't be doing this.....to me the picture is almost ruined.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ted-William...IAAOSwJjNcb3EO
Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
TPGs shouldn't be doing this.....to me the picture is almost ruined.
+1, but if card collectors can stomach all that stuff on the slabs surrounding their cards every time they look at them, this should be a relatively easy lift for photo collectors. Can't they put it on the back, though?
Old 06-19-2019, 06:44 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I completely agree.

Any stickers should be put on the back, NOT on the front!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Scott Russell

Also makes me wonder how the first name is that faded and the last name is that smudged and he thinks he's going to get $250, but I guess that's a different issue.

For my Auction I have photos stickered on front because it seems the standard, but other items like magazines I try not to ruin the appearance and have it stickered elsewhere. What's the consensus should I have the photos stickered on the back going forward?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Also makes me wonder how the first name is that faded and the last name is that smudged and he thinks he's going to get $250, but I guess that's a different issue.

For my Auction I have photos stickered on front because it seems the standard, but other items like magazines I try not to ruin the appearance and have it stickered elsewhere. What's the consensus should I have the photos stickered on the back going forward?
On the back absolutely unless there is some reason not to.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
On the back absolutely unless there is some reason not to.
+1
Hi Hank.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 AM
John Tess

I've seen some nice Mantle autographed photos for sale out there and they put the COA sticker right on the front. Why they do that, I've no idea. Kind of takes away from the picture. Put it on the back for goodness sakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190620-102854.jpg (10.5 KB, 267 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:07 AM

They ruined my Mickey too:

Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Scott Russell

I gotta say, for some reason I hate it even more on magazines.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

The sticker also covered a black pen spot and/or hole so it was welcomed by the submitter..
Old 06-20-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
The sticker also covered a black pen spot and/or hole so it was welcomed by the submitter..
Not for me. I was the submitter. That's how I got it back.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:43 AM
Ryan

It's even worse when they don't get the sticker straight or have it way too high/low/etc. I have seen some absolutely awful sticker placements that completely ruin items for me IMO.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:54 AM

I guess the sticker needs to be on the front as the submitter or future owner may want to frame them someday. If the sticker is on the back and the photo is professionally framed, you would need to compromise the frame job to verify authenticity.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:09 PM

The first person to ruin the value of that photo was Ted Williams when he signed it It is worth more unsigned.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:28 PM

I think the sticker should be larger, shinier, and placed closer to the autograph (preferably over the player's face) so that there is no doubt as to the authenticity of the signature. Yep, that should do it.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:24 PM
Larry Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
I think the sticker should be larger, shinier, and placed closer to the autograph (preferably over the player's face) so that there is no doubt as to the authenticity of the signature. Yep, that should do it.
What if they placed it over the auto? Here me out, it would prevent fading, smudging and tracing.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Gary McNabb

Default Photos

All my photos are a lot older and I always look to the backs for the history. The photographer stamps, agency stamps, sometimes baseball magazine holograms or auction stamps. It adds to the provenance ! No to the front !!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843...57704575151952
Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 PM

In my opinion, there is only one reason TPGers put a sticker on the front of a signed photo, album page, or other item - VANITY. I'm sure they see it as a form of advertising that they can put on and get the owner to pay for - but in my opinion it shows that they have absolutely no respect for the item.

Does anyone really think that 50 or 100 years from now anyone will know who/what PSA/DNA was, or be able to decipher the JSA signature on that sticker? Much less be able to check the item on the company's database?

I am almost 100% sure that if someone brought in the Mona Lisa to be authenticated by one of these companies, they would get it back with a sticker on the front.

I have never knowingly purchased an item with one of these stickers on the front, and see very few reasons why I ever would. And greater still, I can't imagine I would ever pay to have a single signature in my collection authenticated by one of these parties.