NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Mike Navarro

Default Making the purists cringe

I know a lot of collectors cringe when they see "custom cuts", but I think sometimes they can be quite attractive. I think a lot of times, people can take this hobby way too seriously. Collect what is fun and attractive to you, and enjoy the ride. Most of the items we collect are not the Magna Carta

Here's a Cobb I recently picked up from Stinson:

Here's a custom cut I'm having made from it (not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me)

Old 03-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Jeff

Mike,
That looks nice. I think the main point is that you are not "cutting" up anything with historical significance really. The signed piece in its current state is already cut so to speak. If you like nuttin' wrong with that.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I'm not one for cutting stuff, but in this case it's very very nice and well done.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I'm not one for cutting stuff, but in this case it's very very nice and well done.
Ditto
Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 PM

My objection with the card companies is when the don't show the full signature (Ted Willams = ed Willia"), when they cut up a full item like letter, contract or check, and then it looks butt ugly.

Your is cut, but from an already cut out picture, and it's nicely done. You have talent.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I agree, nothing wrong with using a cut for a cut. It's typically the act of destroying something whole to create the cut in the first place that will draw jeers and criticism. By mounting your cut (that was already a cut) in a card, you're basically making a choice on how to present it for viewing/display (more akin to framing a photograph), and you've done quite a nice job of it from the look of your mock-up. Is this something that you designed yourself and are sending to someone for execution, or was the design done by the "card builder" as well? Just curious. (Also, is there a better term than "card builder" that I should use?)
Old 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM

I'm not taking a stand one way or the other, but...

That's not a "cut." It's a signed magazine or book photo. (And I'm sure Jim listed it accordingly.)
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Wayne Walker

I think it looks great and deciding how to display acquisitions is a hobby within a hobby.

I would get rid of that 1/1 up in the corner, though. That card company hucksterism isn't necessary with a personal, custom cut, but that's just my opinion. I like everything else about it.

Sweet Cobb!

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 03-10-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:37 PM

By cut, I meant cut out picture. The Cobb pic had already been cut out of something long before he got it. As opposed to him cutting the signature off a whole postcard or full bank check.

I'll be careful in my future use of the term cut.

Last edited by drc; 03-10-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:40 PM
$teve O.

That looks nice Mike!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I have no problem with this... whatever makes you happy as a collector... it's all good.

What would bug me personally, is that they had to just barely cut off the left side of the paraph. They never seem able to quite get the entire autograph in for some reason. Just my personal pet-peeve. Looks really nice otherwise!

Last edited by perezfan; 03-10-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
you've done quite a nice job of it from the look of your mock-up. Is this something that you designed yourself and are sending to someone for execution, or was the design done by the "card builder" as well? Just curious. (Also, is there a better term than "card builder" that I should use?)
oh, the card builder definitely wasn't me. I'm not that patient or talented enough, LOL. It's a guy that goes by "knuckles" on some other boards. He makes some neat "custom cuts"

mike
Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 AM
qualitycards

Mike, that piece is well done & a keeper. Garret does great work.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
I'm not taking a stand one way or the other, but...

That's not a "cut." It's a signed magazine or book photo. (And I'm sure Jim listed it accordingly.)
Agreed. I wouldn't mess with the original signed item at all, but if you are going to, my suggestions would be to remove the 1/1, and I would also take off the 'HOF-1936' part, maybe replace with the years he played. After all, everyone knows he made the HOF.

Very tastefully done.