NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-26-2020, 06:20 PM
Rich

Default Conundrum Looming

I have been collecting baseball cards since 1976. I am a player, team and set collector. I am closing in on finishing a number of sets from the 1950s and 1960s. Here is where the issue comes into play. There is one star from the 1950s and 1960s that I do not like and played for a team that I hate. I have never intentionally bought any of his cards specifically, only those that have come in collections I have purchased. So, I have a number of his cards in my sets already. I am having trouble getting past my dislike of the player to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for each of his cards that I do not have in the 1950s and 1960s. I mean when you spend 1K on a card - most people would like to be happy about it, right?

Anyone else ever have this problem? If so, how have you resolved it?

(Player and team have been intentionally omitted, although many could probably figure it out easily, do to desire not to offend any other board members.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:26 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

I’m a life long Met fan and consider myself lucky that I don’t have to worry about adding certain iconic players/cards to my PC. I’d make an exception for Gehrig but don’t feel particularly compelled.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
I have been collecting baseball cards since 1976. I am a player, team and set collector. I am closing in on finishing a number of sets from the 1950s and 1960s. Here is where the issue comes into play. There is one star from the 1950s and 1960s that I do not like and played for a team that I hate. I have never intentionally bought any of his cards specifically, only those that have come in collections I have purchased. So, I have a number of his cards in my sets already. I am having trouble getting past my dislike of the player to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for each of his cards that I do not have in the 1950s and 1960s. I mean when you spend 1K on a card - most people would like to be happy about it, right?

Anyone else ever have this problem? If so, how have you resolved it?

(Player and team have been intentionally omitted, although many could probably figure it out easily, do to desire not to offend any other board members.
For me it was the umpires in the 55 Bowman set. Not only are they umpires but they are the most expensive cards in the set besides a couple mega stars and a super star rookie.

I bought them to complete the set but honestly cringed when I bought most of them.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:08 PM

Man you gotta get over this hatred. Let it go !
Finish up your sets.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:13 PM
Rich

Scott,

Generally, I would agree with that. But I came by my hatred honestly, as my dad had the same issue with the player and the team in question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Man you gotta get over this hatred. Let it go !
Finish up your sets.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:55 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

As a Mets collector, it bothered me to pay for Nolan Ryans early cards. Not because I dislke him, I just feel his cards are way overpriced. My collection was not complete without them so I bit the bullet.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:17 PM
Tim Odeen

I'm selling much of my collection but not everything. My problem is I'm a quantity over quality type guy. I have two or three pieces that I ought to keep above all else, but then my collection would be quite small. I think I'm a type collector, but don't want to believe it. I have a money figure I'm hoping to reach as a goal, and I can sell a lot to get there, or just a few items. So I understand you not wanting to spend a lot of money for a player's card you don't like, and wanting to be happy with your collection.

In my case, I have a 1921 Ty Cobb exhibit. I collect Tris Speaker and I've chosen to keep his items; 1 item is the 1921 Speaker Exhibit. Ty Cobb would look awesome next to Speaker on the shelf. Especially if I could pick up a Speaker/Cobb type 1 photo. But I also collect Reds items, and I'd have to part with my most favorite Reds' items to match how much Cobb is worth in order to get to my ultimate goal.

Decisions decisions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-26-2020, 08:25 PM
�tis J�hns�n

When I was 16 I hated everyone. Now I'm 74 and I love everyone. Collect everything forever and let your heirs sort of out.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:45 PM
Bob Andrews

This has been discussed here a few times and my feelings have always been the same. As a set collector I buy the cards in the set, no matter who they depict. I'm not a Pete Rose fan and I'd rather not own cards of OJ Simpson and a few others, but I have cards of both in multiple sets.

Does it bug me to lay out cash for a card of someone I dislike? Sure. Last week I spent $50 on a '67 Rose and it wasn't nearly as much fun as buying the Clemente for example, but the alternative is an empty slot in the binder and then why collect the set at all?
Old 09-26-2020, 09:42 PM
+0m J()rd@N

There are some really good reprint cards out there. Maybe just spend a little scratch on a reprint and put it in your set.

An alternative would be to buy a lousy/altered/worn/marked up/trimmed copy of the card, and put it in your set. Maybe you could even find a copy of one where some kid drew a moustache on the player, or glasses, or ripped it in half. That way you've got the card that completes the set, but you've not spent nearly as much of your resources on the player. And in comparison to all the other cards, it would be a misfit.

And why do you hate Brooks so bad? He's really a nice guy, and a pretty good ballplayer to boot.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 09-26-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
There are some really good reprint cards out there. Maybe just spend a little scratch on a reprint and put it in your set.

An alternative would be to buy a lousy/altered/worn/marked up/trimmed copy of the card, and put it in your set. Maybe you could even find a copy of one where some kid drew a moustache on the player, or glasses, or ripped it in half. That way you've got the card that completes the set, but you've not spent nearly as much of your resources on the player. And in comparison to all the other cards, it would be a misfit.

And why do you hate Brooks so bad? He's really a nice guy, and a pretty good ballplayer to boot.
I've always been a fan of the old "pencil jabbed through the eyes" especially if it's combined with other odd additions.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:30 AM
Rich

LOL - about the Brooks comment.

I have thought about both of those ideas before.
Right now I have reprints or modern versions of the players cards in a few of my sets. I have thought about buying "Authentic" versions. Less expensive may be what makes it palatable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post

Old 09-27-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
This has been discussed here a few times ... ... ... why collect the set at all?
Sort of this (granted, taken a bit out of context). My advice is to forget about set collecting entirely: come to the other side and become a player collector.

(much more fun and mostly eliminates your problem, unless your guy is on a LL card with the other guy, but at least in that scenario you have a much stronger justification to tell yourself).
Old 09-28-2020, 09:25 AM
Steve Birmingham

All this just makes me wonder who, and why he's hated enough that people don't want to buy his cards...
Old 09-27-2020, 05:43 AM
Al Stein

If you don't like the guy don't buy his cards. It's your set, why be pissed off whenever you look at it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 06:19 AM

I like the “reprint” idea. You can even draw in a fake mustache if it makes you feel better!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:52 AM
Justin

I dont collect sets, so I don't have any great advice.
However I do sympathize because I am such a huge yankees fan it pains me to buy anything Red Sox.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 07:55 AM
James M.

The reprint idea that other's have mentioned is something I like. I'm not much of a set builder, so I can't definitively say how I would handle this. I will say though that over time my views on cards have certainly changed. For the longest time I didn't like the 53 Bowman Color Set or the 55 Bowman TV Stand Set and now I've warmed up to both of them.

At the end of the day, your collection is exactly that, your collection. If you don't want to add those cards you don't have to.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

if it is who i think it is, I did exactly the same thing, and i happen to like the team in question, i just (1) could not stand the smug jackholes who were fanboys of his and (2) thought his cards were way overpriced. I ended up capitulating and buying what I could afford several years ago and resigning myself to never owning his key card or his RC.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-27-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:58 AM
Howard Chasser

Default It's simple really

You need to decide if honoring your hatred of said player and team by not purchasing any of his cards individually is a higher priority than finishing your sets.

An option - per your statement you have purchased groups with his card in it in the past and felt better about that, so maybe consider buying groups with his card in it for the ones you are missing and sell off the rest of the group!

The above presumes the issue has nothing to do with spending hundreds to thousands on a card.