NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2024, 02:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post

I can't even imagine what the spread is like for someone who has overhead and does this for a living. In this ecosystem, the auction houses and eBay are the real winners.
If you are trying to make money, it is imperative to carefully choose where to sell. Some things are best sold on eBay, others on consignment. eBay and AH costs have been converging for some time, so much so that in some cases eBay is just as expensive as a consignment. As an example, here is the breakdown on a recent eBay sale of mine:

What your buyer paid
Item subtotal $99.00
Shipping $6.00
Sales tax* $10.15
Order total** $115.15

What you earned
Order total $115.15
eBay collected from buyer Sales tax -$10.15
Transaction fees -$22.57
Shipping label -$3.96

Order earnings $78.47

eBay takes a cut of the shipping and the sales tax, so my effective 'commission' was 22.57%. However, this is an item of the sort that an AH would bury in a big lot so the extra 3% cost is worth it to make the item a retail item instead. I probably netted 2x-3x what I could have gotten on consignment.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-09-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2024, 04:57 PM
Jeff Lazarus

In the last bunch of years ebay:
  • Removed the wildcard (*) search option making many searches more frustrating and difficult
  • Tried to make sure you don't miss anything and so made it far more difficult to just search for what you want by expanding the results in many ways
  • Made it that sellers can send offers to people who viewed they listings, even if they did not choose to watch them
  • Made it easy to list someone and leave it on eBay for ever for no cost

All told, eBay has created a huge percentage of items priced at a price that they will never sell, at no cost to the sellers. Then made it harder for buyers to sort through the listings to focus on the ones they want. And even if you do that work, you can get a slew of offers on items that you had no interest in (hence not watching it).

It's becoming harder and harder to just find what you are looking for. I know for me, as someone who is an avid collector and spends quite a bit of time on the hobby, I am spending less and less time with eBay. It's simply too unpleasant to want to deal with all the time.
Old 06-09-2024, 05:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
In the last bunch of years ebay:
  • Removed the wildcard (*) search option making many searches more frustrating and difficult
  • Tried to make sure you don't miss anything and so made it far more difficult to just search for what you want by expanding the results in many ways
  • Made it that sellers can send offers to people who viewed they listings, even if they did not choose to watch them
  • Made it easy to list someone and leave it on eBay for ever for no cost

All told, eBay has created a huge percentage of items priced at a price that they will never sell, at no cost to the sellers. Then made it harder for buyers to sort through the listings to focus on the ones they want. And even if you do that work, you can get a slew of offers on items that you had no interest in (hence not watching it).

It's becoming harder and harder to just find what you are looking for. I know for me, as someone who is an avid collector and spends quite a bit of time on the hobby, I am spending less and less time with eBay. It's simply too unpleasant to want to deal with all the time.
This describes my experience to a tee. The amount of time I spend searching eBay is probably one fifth of what it was 5+ years ago.

And even more so, with regard to selling. I have completely abandoned selling on eBay, and now only consign to auctions or sell outright to collector friends.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 06-09-2024, 05:53 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
This describes my experience to a tee. The amount of time I spend searching eBay is probably one fifth of what it was 5+ years ago.

And even more so, with regard to selling. I have completely abandoned selling on eBay, and now only consign to auctions or sell outright to collector friends.
It feels like they are making decisions with zero understanding of the experience of their user base and have gone backwards by prioritizing pushing as much as they can to people rather than prioritizing helping people get as close to the desired results as possible.

Additionally, their fees for ordinary sellers (not powersellers) are very close to what an auction house changes. (A 20% Buyer's Premium is 16.66% of the total paid ($100 + $20 = $120. $20/$120 = 16.66%) so they are really within range of each other.
Old 06-09-2024, 06:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The eBay motto:

"If it ain't broke, frickin' break it NOW and keep breaking it further!!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2024, 09:53 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
The eBay motto:

"If it ain't broke, frickin' break it NOW and keep breaking it further!!!!"
I agree, as I have long assumed that eBay's motto is:

"Never leave well enough alone."
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
I agree, as I have long assumed that eBay's motto is:

"Never leave well enough alone."
I generally don't fix what isn't broken. Many companies do the opposite, including Ebay..

As for the question about offers, I still make them sometimes. I also hit BIN's when it make cents to me.

I BIN'd on this for 495 plus tax, about 2 mos. ago...I thought it was a pretty good deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post.jpg (201.1 KB, 503 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-11-2024 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:20 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Reminder to sellers:

Don't forget to set your minimum dollar thresholds for offers so you don't have to deal with annoying lowballers.

I refuse to use the OBO option. Buyers can either pay my price or pass my listings by. Even with verbiage in the description that specifically asks people not to send lower offers via messages, I still get them. It's a combination of people not reading the descriptions, eBay blocking most of the descriptions on the mobile version (unless the viewer goes out of their way to click on it), and customers who just don't care and still try to get something for less. That's understandable, but not what I'm looking to deal with. I try to provide very personable customer service, but have tired of replying to "Will you take less?" queries when I've sepcifically said I won't in each listing. So, unfortunately, I have stopped even answering such messages, as I already answered before they even asked.

Also, many years ago, I tried that experiment that the one poster wanted to utilize. I set everything to auction with opening bids close to my BIN price. It was a complete waste of time, and really, rightly so. Auctions are a game. To succeed, you have to play by auction rules: ridiculously low opening bids are key. From there, you have two choices: stay honest and let the cards fall where they may, or shill away. I don't like either option, so auctions aren't for me. The bigger the seller, the better odds of success with the first option (and second option, lol). You may as well consign your material to one of the big guys if you want the best results via auction-style listings.
I did this recently. Ridiculously low openers (99 cents). Ended up giving the cards away. Granted, these were non sports cards, but still.....
Old 06-14-2024, 04:25 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Just checking in since testing the auction theory, have actually made two ebay item sales. One to a forum member and one on ebay. So I'm not sure if that was a coincidence, luck or it actually worked. I'll check in again next week.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Last edited by Lucas00; 06-14-2024 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2024, 04:44 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Just checking in since testing the auction theory, have actually made two ebay item sales. One to a forum member and one on ebay. So I'm not sure if that was a coincidence, luck or it actually worked. I'll check in again next week.
I’m guessing your sense of decorum might prevent you from providing a link here to your eBay items but I wouldn’t mind seeing what you have ,
If not maybe somebody else will post it
Thanks
Eric
Old 06-14-2024, 06:48 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
I’m guessing your sense of decorum might prevent you from providing a link here to your eBay items but I wouldn’t mind seeing what you have ,
If not maybe somebody else will post it
Thanks
Eric
It is on my n54 profile (for some reason the two hyphens turn into 1 long one on here so it's hard to search). I admittedly don't want to post a link and get a bunch of inorganic exposure because I'm testing it but I have no problem in sharing it. Most of what I have for sale is also on the site, but there's some that's not.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/lucas--d

If anybody sees something they like I'd obviously rather sell here and skip ebay altogether 😂.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Last edited by Lucas00; 06-14-2024 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:55 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Thanks
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...&_ssn=lucas--d
Old 06-15-2024, 01:49 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Culture in the US doesn't put much emphasis on bargaining. Not like in Europe or Middle East. Many people I know are just totally incapable (or disinterested) in bargaining/negotiating. Many other cultures you walk into a shopping mall and a TV is marked at 699 something, you offer 200. And threaten to walk away at 300. Not how we typically operate in the US. Walmart and Target don't really care how much you think something is actually worth.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-15-2024 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 02:06 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

For all of the slamming of ebay, I remember several years ago, when people were complaining about them collecting sales tax. In my home state, I have to send in sales tax collected, in late January, for the previous year. I am SO THANKFUL I don't have to deal with collecting and sending sales tax revenue to dozens of other states, to comply with the law. All I have to do is remit to my state the sales tax collected for my non-ebay transactions. The rest is taken care of.

I'm happy to pay a little marginal fee on that collected sales tax, considering the headache it saves me.
Old 06-15-2024, 02:38 PM

Advantage to the seller that doesn't need to worry about inventory turnover. At least that's how it works for me.

I haven't had anything for sale on EBay for a while, but I had some BIN stuff with relatively high (not crazy) prices that I did not care at all whether it sold quickly.

I put the stuff up and priced it above the current market, waiting around for any potential surge in hobby or item interest to claim it.

It is absolutely 0 issue for me to have these cards in a few large cardboard boxes waiting for a purchase and package. The slow pace of sales actually makes things less annoying.
Old 06-19-2024, 02:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A lot of sellers do the same thing you do. It's America...
People can still make offers if they want to, whether an OBO option is listed or not. I have done it and succeeded many times.

There are tons of neat things in the museum called Ebay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
Advantage to the seller that doesn't need to worry about inventory turnover. At least that's how it works for me.

I haven't had anything for sale on EBay for a while, but I had some BIN stuff with relatively high (not crazy) prices that I did not care at all whether it sold quickly.

I put the stuff up and priced it above the current market, waiting around for any potential surge in hobby or item interest to claim it.

It is absolutely 0 issue for me to have these cards in a few large cardboard boxes waiting for a purchase and package. The slow pace of sales actually makes things less annoying.
Old 06-24-2024, 03:58 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Check in #2 on the second time of the auctions ending.
No sales this time.

Old 06-28-2024, 01:35 PM
Larry More.y

I try to price my listings at or very close to market as I don't make money via card selling letting items sit around at high prices. Based on my pricing, most all of my items sell within 12 months of listing, with the majority in the first 3 months. Therefore, I see no need to consider offers. In each of my listings, I point out that the price is firm.

Even with this firm pricing statement in each listing, I still receive offers, several a day in some cases. Most of my responses to these offers are typically along the lines of: "As mentioned up front in the listing, prices are firm. Thanks."

For a while, I simply responded with "no thanks" on the first offer, however that response would inevitably lead to a follow-up offer. On the follow-up offer, I then would go back and point out the pricing is firm and noted up front in the lising

The number of NASTY responses I receive back just amazes me. At least half of the responses end up with the user blocked for their nastiness.

So, with all that said, what is a polite response (that will not lead to another pricing query question) to a user who sends over an unsolicited offer?
Old 06-28-2024, 01:55 PM

Default We collectors are also prone to dealers who

Buyer walks into the store and sees an item he wants. He knows it is worth about one hundred dollars, but he wants to haggle. The dealer tells him the price is one thousand. Buyer tells him that he is out of his mind, the item is only worth about eighty dollars -- why are you asking one thousand? Dealer says -- "you look like someone who would like to brag about owning a one thousand dollar card."
Old 06-28-2024, 02:39 PM

Is there really another way of saying it that won't make them try again? Not that I can come up with. I think at that point, it's your choice to block them or not. They don't wish to pay your price and you don't wish to keep hearing their lower offers. They will likely continue to try this with your other offerings, so it's up to you if you want to hear more from them or not. You were already clear twice: once in your description and again very directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I try to price my listings at or very close to market as I don't make money via card selling letting items sit around at high prices. Based on my pricing, most all of my items sell within 12 months of listing, with the majority in the first 3 months. Therefore, I see no need to consider offers. In each of my listings, I point out that the price is firm.

Even with this firm pricing statement in each listing, I still receive offers, several a day in some cases. Most of my responses to these offers are typically along the lines of: "As mentioned up front in the listing, prices are firm. Thanks."

For a while, I simply responded with "no thanks" on the first offer, however that response would inevitably lead to a follow-up offer. On the follow-up offer, I then would go back and point out the pricing is firm and noted up front in the lising

The number of NASTY responses I receive back just amazes me. At least half of the responses end up with the user blocked for their nastiness.

So, with all that said, what is a polite response (that will not lead to another pricing query question) to a user who sends over an unsolicited offer?
Old 06-28-2024, 03:51 PM
Jim Reynolds

I just started selling on eBay again after a many year gap. So far, I’m not impressed.
Old 06-28-2024, 05:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post

The best response is to simply send them back nothing but a completely random (and decently long) Bible verse.
The random part is key.
That way it means absolutely nothing about any part of the situation, but they'll go bananas racking their brain trying to figure out what it is you're trying to tell them.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2024, 04:57 AM
Banned

Am new here ,ave been trading on ebay for like 2 years now but nothing to be impressed on....

Sent from my Huawei using Tapatalk

Last edited by jomikramirez; 06-29-2024 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 06:39 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomikramirez View Post
Am new here ,ave been trading on ebay for like 2 years now but nothing to be impressed on....

Sent from my Huawei using Tapatalk
I wish I got this new ebay "trade" update! Hilarious how obvious scammers are these days.

Old 06-29-2024, 12:22 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
I wish I got this new ebay "trade" update! Hilarious how obvious scammers are these days.
You’d think they would change the birthday
Old 06-30-2024, 12:26 PM
Matt

Default Offers

Personally, if there’s an option to make an offer, I do that all the time. I try not to lowball anyone, but try to come up with a number that works for me and the seller. I also collect music related stuff that doesn’t show up very often, so that’s tough to determine a price sometimes.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants, 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:44 PM
Jim Reynolds

I have a bunch of auctions up now. Random stuff. One item was priced at BIN $49.99 or best offer. Guy offered me $40 and I took it. He’s happy and I’m happy. My value may not be your value. We may be way off or within inches of each other. Some of my prices are simply guesses. If I didn’t take offers, I’d never know what buyers may be thinking.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:03 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

There's a GU bat on ebay that's been there a few years, priced at $489. I have mild interest in it. I have offered $350 a couple times, and been countered in the $450 range. Which might be a fair number, but more than I want to pay. So, about every year I again offer $350, to see if he wants to make a sale or keep holding it. I figure eventually he might block me but that would be okay. He also might realize, if mine are the best, or only, offers he's getting, that moving the bat might be the thing to do.

I don't feel like I'm being a jerk, because my interest is not strong and my offer is reasonable, and he's had it listed for years. There's opportunity cost being lost the longer he holds it. But he might think I'm a jerk...
Old 06-30-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
There's a GU bat on ebay that's been there a few years, priced at $489. I have mild interest in it. I have offered $350 a couple times, and been countered in the $450 range. Which might be a fair number, but more than I want to pay. So, about every year I again offer $350, to see if he wants to make a sale or keep holding it. I figure eventually he might block me but that would be okay. He also might realize, if mine are the best, or only, offers he's getting, that moving the bat might be the thing to do.

I don't feel like I'm being a jerk, because my interest is not strong and my offer is reasonable, and he's had it listed for years. There's opportunity cost being lost the longer he holds it. But he might think I'm a jerk...
Same thing over here with multiple items. Sellers still not budging. I hit them up every 6-12 months so I don't bug the hell out of them. I imagine a lot don't remember it's "that guy that offered 8 months ago" and no one's blocked me yet.
Old 07-22-2024, 11:32 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default One reason why BINs proliferate

I decided to move into an eBay Basic Store. I need more 'free' listings. I get the same 250 auctions plus 1,000 BINs. I'd prefer auctions but if BINs are what I get, I will make it work. I'd guess that the basic store is what most part-timers would use. That's a 1:5 ratio, so little wonder that eBay listings skew towards BINs.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-22-2024 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2024, 06:45 PM

I usually only pay attention to BIN if it has Best Offer listed or I will just watch BIN items and wait to see if I get an offer, gotten some decent deals just waiting. I would rather do that than auctions since I'm not that great at those last second bids.
Old 07-23-2024, 03:04 AM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
COMC is probably selling a lot more from their own website than on eBay since it's cheaper to buy directly from their website.
Ironically you get your faster if you buy from eBay. They prioritize the eBay orders.