NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2023, 03:46 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: Detecting Fake Cards Using iPhone Flashlight???

I have a buyer who purchased several cards from me. He is claiming that they are fake. I asked him why he thought that.
He said that he placed his iPhone flashlight behind the card and he can see the light. In my 20 years of selling cards, I never heard of that.

I disagreed with him because the high intensity light from the iPhone actually passes through many different sets depending on the card stock. I tried it myself on atleast a dozen different sets and saw that the light came through on most of the sets but not all.
The cards that he was claiming were fakes were from the 79-80 O-Pee-Chee Hockey Set, 81-82 O-PEE-CHEE Hockey set and the 64 Topps Baseball set.

Am I wrong?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 03-21-2023, 04:02 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Yeah, I don’t think that’s any kind of useful test of authenticity for the most part. If someone comes up with something weird like that, probably should just approve a return and block the buyer going forward.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:07 PM
T0dd M@rcum

There is a lot of faulty advice being dispensed on Facebook groups.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:07 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
Yeah, I don’t think that’s any kind of useful test of authenticity for the most part. If someone comes up with something weird like that, probably should just approve a return and block the buyer going forward.

I already told him several times to return cards but he keeps claiming that the cards are fake. I am no longer responding to him but I just wanted to make sure that his claims made no sense.
I noticed that he left a negative for another seller claiming that their cards were fake also.
There is always 1 miserable person in the crowd.

Buythatcard

Old 03-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I already told him several times to return cards but he keeps claiming that the cards are fake. I am no longer responding to him but I just wanted to make sure that his claims made no sense.
I noticed that he left a negative for another seller claiming that their cards were fake also.
There is always 1 miserable person in the crowd.
Who is it so we can all block them?
Old 03-21-2023, 04:26 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Who is it so we can all block them?
PM sent.

Buythatcard

Old 03-21-2023, 04:41 PM

Maybe it's a new collector who misunderstands they need to use a black light.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:54 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Maybe it's a new collector who misunderstands they need to use a black light.
I don't think so. He's been buying on eBay for 4 years. I would be more tolerant if he questioned me instead of accusing me.

Buythatcard

Old 03-21-2023, 05:39 PM
J@mes In.gram

I think the idea was conceived back in the days of incandescent lamp light, not a modern high-intensity light that will penetrate basically any cardboard no matter how dense.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 03-21-2023, 07:07 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
There is a lot of faulty advice being dispensed on Facebook groups.
Faulty advice from Facebook groups you say? That is shocking!
Old 03-21-2023, 08:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

This is a valid technique for some things. For example, I have used a flashlight test a couple of times where I'm trying to determine if blank backed cards are skinned or not; as the lack of layers will let more light pass through than the control example that is definitely not skinned.

I strongly doubt this buyer is using it in a productive manner.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:01 PM
Frank Wakefield

For starters, my experiences with Howard have always been great. If all sellers followed his practices, then no one would have much of anything about which to complain. (That avoidance of ending that sentence with a preposition was for Barry Sloate!)

I've puzzled about using the light on an iPhone in the process of analyzing authenticity of a ball card.

Here's the best I can offer...

If someone has lost their black light, their uv light, then maybe they could use the light on their iPhone to help them find their black light. Otherwise, the fellow of which Howard mentions is someone who knows not of which he speaks.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:20 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
For starters, my experiences with Howard have always been great. If all sellers followed his practices, then no one would have much of anything about which to complain. (That avoidance of ending that sentence with a preposition was for Barry Sloate!)

I've puzzled about using the light on an iPhone in the process of analyzing authenticity of a ball card.

Here's the best I can offer...

If someone has lost their black light, their uv light, then maybe they could use the light on their iPhone to help them find their black light. Otherwise, the fellow of which Howard mentions is someone who knows not of which he speaks.
Thanks, Frank. I like the suggestion on what to use the iPhone light for.

Since I mentioned to him, that black light was the way to go and that he should research it on the Internet what to do, I have not heard a word from him.
He did happen to mention that he was waiting for 2 other cards from me to see if they failed his authenticity test. I found that strange since he already received those cards 2 weeks prior to his accusations.
He has been blocked and I have moved on.

Buythatcard

Old 03-23-2023, 04:40 PM
Dave

Nah, this fella is looking for a refund/partial refund/pinky finger/first born/etc.., without having to return any cards. Likely he's gotten free stuff and discounts with this act in the past.

I'd love to block if possible also.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:44 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Nah, this fella is looking for a refund/partial refund/pinky finger/first born/etc.., without having to return any cards. Likely he's gotten free stuff and discounts with this act in the past.

I'd love to block if possible also.
I agree. He was not the first, won't be the last.

Buythatcard

Old 03-24-2023, 06:12 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Sounds like one of those newfangled facebook experts....
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:21 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I'll take that Pm also please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
PM sent.
Would like to block him as well.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Sounds like one of those newfangled facebook experts....
LOL....FB is a conglomeration of the whole population. They are all experts on cards too!