NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-22-2023, 06:10 PM
Jim Caravello

Speaking of charms - I won this the other night - probably overpaid? But love these old brown plastic gloves….will add to one of my pins…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28516761127...emis&media=SMS
Old 03-22-2023, 06:58 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
Speaking of charms - I won this the other night - probably overpaid? But love these old brown plastic gloves….will add to one of my pins…

Very nice Jim I believe we have re started your pin collecting...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 03-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Jim Caravello

I think so Al!
Old 03-22-2023, 08:22 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:

Nice buy!

I just picked up a glove charm last week myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 387EA26B-CF00-416C-94B2-5F4EC6EC788A.jpg (197.0 KB, 337 views)
Old 03-22-2023, 08:36 PM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Nice buy!

I just picked up a glove charm last week myself.
Love it! Congrats!
Old 03-23-2023, 02:31 PM
Jim Reynolds

HOLY CRAP!!! Now that’s a book!!!!

Just arrived, can’t wait!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0B3AEF31-B193-4177-8F58-15B40828F52B.jpg (174.6 KB, 322 views)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:38 PM
Jim Caravello

Nice! Enjoy!
Old 03-23-2023, 06:12 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I love it, too! Here's another:
Wonderful!
Old 03-23-2023, 07:22 PM
Jim H

Quote:
HOLY CRAP!!! Now that’s a book!!!!

Just arrived, can’t wait!

I look through it all the time. It is one of my favorite reference books.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:45 PM
Jim Reynolds

Living in Richmond, Va., I enjoyed seeing some of the Richmond. Va. pinbacks in the Muchinsky book for our old minor league teams. I did note an error though in his book. This Richmond Robins pinback is from our 1970’s era hockey team (I believe). Their colors were orange and black like in this other grainy pinback photo.

I could be wrong though, but I’m pretty sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 208E2675-A516-4185-BFDF-0310716FEAFC.jpg (195.3 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg DC602313-A857-47ED-87D6-5A79153A1810.jpg (18.3 KB, 304 views)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:50 PM
Al

Quote:
Living in Richmond, Va., I enjoyed seeing some of the Richmond. Va. pinbacks in the Muchinsky book for our old minor league teams. I did note an error though in his book. This Richmond Robins pinback is from our 1970’s era hockey team (I believe). Their colors were orange and black like in this other grainy pinback photo.

I could be wrong though, but I’m pretty sure.
Probably correct Jim I have found other errors also. I will post a few...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 03-23-2023, 07:50 PM
Jim Caravello

Just ordered my copy of the book - Natalie is off the charts nice….
Old 03-23-2023, 08:03 PM
Al

Here is another one Paul says its Churches Fried Chicken reality is the pin has no relation to the pittsburgh pirates.
The pin is for Cochrane Fountain City High School It a football pin for the Wisconsin pirates team... Like I said a good reference book for pics but not always correct...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awrong.jpg (63.9 KB, 311 views)

Old 03-23-2023, 08:23 PM
Al

Well on to a fun note lets try a put up some pins..... We havnt done that in awhile.. I will show a pin I have always loved The great walter johnson on the 1924 senators world series pin. Also a photo showing that very same pin with a very large paper mache ball.. The pin is rare to start with but look at that board! Loaded with this pin... In all my years of collecting never have seen the ball with the pin... They also used the same image on other pins of the era and after.. Love walter Johnson!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg johnson2.jpg (55.2 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg johnson.jpg (164.7 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 series.jpg (184.0 KB, 307 views)

Old 03-23-2023, 08:50 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Just ordered my copy of the book - Natalie is off the charts nice….
Yeah she’s a sweetheart.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:26 PM
Jim Caravello

Incredible - the photo is great - the guy wearing the pin with the two balls hanging…..just looks…..well, I’ll just stop there and say what a great photo….
Old 03-24-2023, 06:07 AM
Al

Quote:
Incredible - the photo is great - the guy wearing the pin with the two balls hanging…..just looks…..well, I’ll just stop there and say what a great photo….
You know Jim I was going to say something about that ! But Im glad you said it first...

Old 03-24-2023, 07:55 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Well on to a fun note lets try a put up some pins..... We havnt done that in awhile.. I will show a pin I have always loved The great walter johnson on the 1924 senators world series pin. Also a photo showing that very same pin with a very large paper mache ball.. The pin is rare to start with but look at that board! Loaded with this pin... In all my years of collecting never have seen the ball with the pin... They also used the same image on other pins of the era and after.. Love walter Johnson!
That's a world-class WaJo pin collection there, Al! With TWO of those great 1924 Pennant Winner pins? Wow! Here's what I'm down to after selling off my P1 and P2s some years ago. There were other configurations of the '24 pin, including this one with a smaller ball and one with three longer ribbons printed with "1924 World Series."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Congress Pins.jpg (42.9 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg WaJo pins.jpg (87.6 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 pennant winners pin.jpg (98.9 KB, 291 views)
Old 03-24-2023, 08:20 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
That's a world-class WaJo pin collection there, Al! With TWO of those great 1924 Pennant Winner pins? Wow! Here's what I'm down to after selling off my P1 and P2s some years ago. There were other configurations of the '24 pin, including this one with a smaller ball and one with three longer ribbons printed with "1924 World Series."
Very nice Hank! Had a feeling you might enjoy that....

Old 03-24-2023, 08:49 AM
Al

Quote:
Hank maybe that is why you dont see the large ball maybe they swapped it out for the smaller ball and that ribbon instead as sales with the large ball didnt go over well or people just didnt want to ware it like that.... just a thought...

Old 03-24-2023, 09:12 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Hank maybe that is why you dont see the large ball maybe they swapped it out for the smaller ball and that ribbon instead as sales with the large ball didnt go over well or people just didnt want to ware it like that.... just a thought...
Yes, we can only speculate. I've never seen the large ball, even if, as you point out, there's a whole board full of them in that picture. But I have seen a couple with the smaller ball, and at least one with the longer red, white, and blue ribbons and a beautifully printed "1924 World Series" on the white one. They would have had at most a few days to get those made and distributed, so it's a real mystery why there would be any variations at all. Considering I've probably only seen ten or so of these pins total, its rarity only adds to the mystery.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 03-24-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:32 AM
Al

Quote:
Yes, we can only speculate. I've never seen the large ball, even if, as you point out, there's a whole board full of them in that picture. But I have seen a couple with the smaller ball, and at least one with the longer red, white, and blue ribbons and a beautifully printed "1924 World Series" on the white one. They would have had at most a few days to get those made and distributed, so it's a real mystery why there would be any variations at all. Considering I've probably only seen ten or so of these pins total, its rarity only adds to the mystery.
agreed!

Old 03-24-2023, 12:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Back when Mastro was thriving, they had at least 2-3 of those Walter Pins. The Mastro examples all had the smaller Ball adornment. I was the high underbidder one time, and now I really wish I popped another bid or two. That ship has now sailed...

Another possible theory is that the big baseball charm was too heavy. It probably made the pin uncomfortable to wear, or perhaps the weight pulled the ribbon off completely. Looks very cumbersome and out of proportion, but great photo none-the-less!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 03-24-2023, 12:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Never Mind.... Computer froze and after a 20 second delay, I hit reply, only to duplicate the post. Ugh!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 03-24-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:18 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Back when Mastro was thriving, they had at least 2-3 of those Walter Pins. The Mastro examples all had the smaller Ball adornment. I was the high underbidder one time, and now I really wish I popped another bid or two. That ship has now sailed...Another possible theory is that the big baseball charm was too heavy. It probably made the pin uncomfortable to wear, or perhaps the weight pulled the ribbon off completely. Looks very cumbersome and out of proportion, but great photo none-the-less!
The smaller ball variation was also a feature of the 1925 Washington Pennant Winners pin as well as a white " Washington Senators" pin that was probably of that period. I think I've also seen the 1925 Pirates Pennant Winners version with that same small ball, so it seems to have been a one or two-year conception of whoever made these.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:11 PM
Mike Kendall

These are the two I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6BF9D8F2-090F-4A51-8DAA-DFCC05E3E81D.jpg (137.3 KB, 298 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 03-24-2023, 02:23 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
These are the two I have.
Wow! I rest my case! And there is another 1925 Pittsburgh Pennant Winners pin identical in design to the 1925 Washington Pennant Winners pin, both of which I have seen with the small ball and ribbons.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 03-24-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:22 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Back when Mastro was thriving, they had at least 2-3 of those Walter Pins. The Mastro examples all had the smaller Ball adornment. I was the high underbidder one time, and now I really wish I popped another bid or two. That ship has now sailed...

Another possible theory is that the big baseball charm was too heavy. It probably made the pin uncomfortable to wear, or perhaps the weight pulled the ribbon off completely. Looks very cumbersome and out of proportion, but great photo none-the-less!
Mark I totally agree it probably made the wearing the pin cumbersome and probably down right annoying.. But still would love to find one... Mike and Hank yes I to have those pins with the smaller ball for 1925. I have the other mate to the senators pin. Funny The 1934 tigers pin is such a fragile pin to find in condition. With the small pennant but that ball is damn near impossible to find.. Also that ball is about twice the size of the smaller ones used in the 1924 1925 pins. This is how it looked back in the day....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00221.jpg (184.1 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00222.jpg (174.9 KB, 295 views)

Old 03-24-2023, 07:34 PM
Hank Thomas

Who got this one that just sold on eBay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/35386309711...p2047675.l2557
Old 03-24-2023, 07:45 PM
Al

Quote:
Who got this one that just sold on eBay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/35386309711...p2047675.l2557
Wasnot me Hank I have mine.... The mate to the 25 senators
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00223.jpg (180.2 KB, 293 views)

Old 03-25-2023, 07:56 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Wasnot me Hank I have mine.... The mate to the 25 senators
Sweet!
Old 04-05-2023, 02:56 PM
Jim Reynolds

Anyone have a football pinback with a football like this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44E74AA1-9512-4A42-B60D-3E8FF950DA83.jpg (171.1 KB, 234 views)
Old 04-05-2023, 03:41 PM
Jim Caravello

cool charm....
Old 04-05-2023, 06:25 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Anyone have a football pinback with a football like this one?
I have this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 286FA39D-4710-403A-A057-77BBDFE734F8.jpg (112.3 KB, 217 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:44 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
I have this one.
Hard to tell with the lighting in your photo, but is yours that same brown plastic like mine?
Old 04-05-2023, 06:59 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Hard to tell with the lighting in your photo, but is yours that same brown plastic like mine?
Yes it’s plastic. Just a lighter brown.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:40 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Yes it’s plastic. Just a lighter brown.
Good deal, thanks!
Old 04-08-2023, 04:58 AM

I have always tried to pick up vintage 1970's Cincinnati Reds pinbacks when I can. Here is some of what I have plus a recent pickup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1320.jpg (216.3 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Go Big Red Machine Go.jpg (200.7 KB, 201 views)
Old 04-08-2023, 07:36 AM
Marty K.

Default Thirties Yankees

Looking for PM10’s of Gehrig, Dickey and any other 30’s Yankees
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D5BC8530-056B-496E-9A29-850F1970F48F.jpg (199.1 KB, 201 views)
Old 04-08-2023, 06:20 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red Machine View Post
I have always tried to pick up vintage 1970's Cincinnati Reds pinbacks when I can. Here is some of what I have plus a recent pickup.
Very nice assortment of pins.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:41 AM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red Machine View Post
Great Reds pins!!
Old 04-12-2023, 07:29 PM
Jim Reynolds

I was discussing this pin with someone and can’t recall who. I’m trying to find out if it’s real or a repop, and whether or not there’s any evidence that it actually has anything to do with the Chicago Cubs. I feel like I’ve seen it in the Muchinsky book but now can’t find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0BFA6A3B-EACF-4D83-AC40-07142AEB82FB.jpg (188.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 65C0AA5A-68E6-4B74-8947-B2A23100AE87.jpg (189.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 04-12-2023, 09:17 PM
Rob

I’d say it’s definitely real and was meant to appeal to Cubs fans, similar to how Bambino tobacco capitalized on the Ruth/Yankees connection. I don’t have an idea as to value. Isn’t MK a “Cubs guy”?
Old 04-13-2023, 11:34 AM
Mike Kendall

There were two different versions of the pin. They were definitely meant to be connected with the Cubs baseball team. They are in Paul’s book in Section Q, advertising. They are condition sensitive since they are lithograph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEDBC38B-7E70-4530-97EF-B473386819B4.jpg (201.6 KB, 114 views)

Old 04-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
There were two different versions of the pin. They were definitely meant to be connected with the Cubs baseball team. They are in Paul’s book in Section Q, advertising. They are condition sensitive since they are lithograph.
Thank you, Mike. Did you see the photos I posted above? Does that look like an original pin to you? If real, what do you think it a real world value would be?
Old 04-13-2023, 01:51 PM
Mike Kendall

I have no doubt it is real. I can’t see the entire pin so I don’t know about the condition. If it’s not scratched or otherwise damaged, I might say around $75.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:49 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
I have no doubt it is real. I can’t see the entire pin so I don’t know about the condition. If it’s not scratched or otherwise damaged, I might say around $75.
Thank you, Mike. That’s as much as I was able to photograph but I believe the condition to be as nice as the section you can see.

Appreciate your info!
Old 04-13-2023, 02:54 PM
Jim Reynolds

Picked up a new HOFer!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F4A74AF1-1B70-4D2E-8191-550C40CDFE37.jpg (205.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:08 AM
Rob

Quote:
Thank you, Mike. Did you see the photos I posted above? Does that look like an original pin to you? If real, what do you think it a real world value would be?
Hey Jim - I don’t think pins are faked as often as you might think. Oftentimes, the back is an easier way to identify a fake than the front. Pinzplus on eBay makes a lot of fakes and fantasies but the backs are always brown. A nice rusted back or paper label is a pretty good indication of the real deal.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:24 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Hey Jim - I don’t think pins are faked as often as you might think. Oftentimes, the back is an easier way to identify a fake than the front. Pinzplus on eBay makes a lot of fakes and fantasies but the backs are always brown. A nice rusted back or paper label is a pretty good indication of the real deal.
Good info, Rob. Thank you.

Every day is a learning experience!