NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 AM
€d M!££w00D

Default BVG grading

I also posted this on post-war side to get a variety of opinions. Let me start out by stating that I don't currently own any graded cards nor have I ever submitted a card to a TPG. I am, however, considering submitting a few of my higher-end cards from 1952-56 sets. From reading threads on the post and pre-war forums, I am well-aware of the PSA vs. SGC arguments. I don't see much discussion about BVG. Why is this? What are your thoughts about BVG for vintage cards?

Thanks,

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 05-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Alex

I don't know much about the BVG grading standards but I think the holders look nice.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think BVG does a good and conservative job of grading in the vintage arena. I don't think, at a corporate level, they are as interested in the vintage market as they used to be. And I am not a fan of their executive management whatsoever. From what I hear Neither are some of their employees. Their holders are bulletproof but not that aesthetically pleasing to me. But to each their own on that. I regularly buy BVG graded cards with no qualms or concerns. That being said, yes, as all other grading companies (and humans) too, they have made a few mistakes. Overall they grade well, to me.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:27 AM

After purchasing a T206 O'hara ST Louis that turned out to be FAKE and taking a $1k loss on a $8.8k investment because Beckett refused to refund any expenses incurred in finding out the card was fake I would NEVER buy a card graded by them again. It is obvious their graders are clueless with pre-war. There was a fake Joe Jackson recently pointed out that I put into managements radar (as I believe several other members did as well) - I believe it is still available...

Edited for grammar.

Last edited by Sean1125; 05-10-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Den.nis Mos.ley

Ha, Sean, I will take all of your Beckett graded cards. For free that is. Being you have such a low opinion of them.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:45 AM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
It is obvious their graders are clueless with pre-war...
Some buyers are as well.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Alex

Quote:
After purchasing a T206 O'hara ST Louis that turned out to be FAKE and taking a $2k loss on a $8.8k investment because Beckett refused to refund any expenses incurred in finding out the card was fake I would NEVER buy a card graded by them again. It is obvious their graders are clueless with pre-war. There was a fake Joe Jackson recently pointed out that I put into managements radar (as I believe several other members did as well) - I believe it is still available...

Edited for grammar.
They didn't buy it back?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Sean, I'm sorry to hear about your situation with Beckett. Unfortunately, all of the top TPG's make mistakes, and there was a recent thread where PSA botched it, and holdered a fake W551, Link, admittedly a lower cost card than the ones that you mentioned. I use all of the TPG's, including PSA, SGC, and Beckett. In fact, I just sent a twenty card submission to Beckett a couple of days ago. Sean's examples notwithstanding, I've found that cards that are slabbed by Beckett are authenticated correctly. Sometimes Beckett is a half grade to a grade generous w/ their grading, so as with any graded card, you need to judge the card and not just the holder. As most everyone has said, Beckett's holder is the best in the business. It is rock solid, practically impossible to crack without noticeable compromising the holder, which you could do relatively easily with the old PSA holder and the SGC holders. Due to the Beckett insert, there is no float for cards, which happens quite frequently for PSA and SGC cards which do not fit their standard size inserts. Most collectors do say that SGC's holder looks the best of the three, which is probably true, and some say that Beckett's looks the worst, but it's pretty close w/ PSA. On resale value, PSA owns vintage (say 1950-1980), SGC (probably slightly ahead) and PSA own prewar (1950 and previous), and Beckett owns modern (1980+). Therefore, if you are looking for later re-sell your 1950's cards in the future, PSA will probably give you the most return, especially given that many collectors are looking to fill in their 1950's Topps sets through the Registry. However, if you like the look of one of the other holders better, or they make more sense from a cost perspective, that would be fine also. Frankly, even if you use the Beckett raw card services to get a grade, that would probably be fine for most collectors since they will know that the card is authentic and what the grade would probably be if they send the card into a TPG. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by glchen; 05-10-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
They didn't buy it back?
They bought it back but refused to pay any expenses from regrades etc.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Alex

Quote:
They bought it back but refused to pay any expenses from regrades etc.
The 2k loss was in grading fees?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Barry Arnold

Default bvg

I have bought bvg cards without any problems. I prefer sgc for the holder aesthetics and for good customer service.

best,
barry
Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The 2k loss was in grading fees?
It was grading fees and expenses to bring the card out to the show (I had brought 3 cards, this accounted for roughly 50% of the value). Also, I mistyped it should not have said $2k, it was $1k. I edited the previous message to reflect that. I had gone to the show to grade out 2x E90 Joe Jackson's and the O'hara, and would loved to have walked the floor and hopefully made some deals. Since I ended spending the entire day at the SGC booth, the auction house where I purchased the card (Bill Goodwin did all he could to help in this situation), and then later the Beckett booth before I had to leave. I was unable to walk the floor or do anything due to the problems arising from the O'hara, I viewed what I was asking for as fairly reasonable - but they wouldn't even pay the $250 regrade fee.

Last edited by Sean1125; 05-10-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Alex

Quote:
It was grading fees and expenses to bring the card out to the show (I had brought 3 cards, this accounted for roughly 50% of the value). Also, I mistyped it should not have said $2k, it was $1k. I edited the previous message to reflect that.

That would be frustrating but I can understand why they might not refund those expenses.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
That would be frustrating but I can understand why they might not refund those expenses.
I edited in some more details for clarity as to why I felt what I was asking was justified and reasonable. I do get what they said, but it would have been a great gesture (and kept me a customer) had they actually made me 'whole'.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Bvg

There were several of these on eBay a while back. Beckett never responded to my emails. I know this is an obscure issue, but you would think they could get it right.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1921 Holsum Graney.jpg (76.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 1921 Holsum Graney back.jpg (77.0 KB, 132 views)

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.