NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-02-2022, 04:29 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Popular National Acquisition - Covid

Lots of reports of people getting Covid at National and bringing it’s home per Twitter. Could be a significant super spreader event if these stories are true. Shocked I tell you …. Shocked.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:34 PM
pete ullman

ya...been hearing this too...makes me rethink going to the MN state fair later this month!!!!!
Old 08-02-2022, 04:36 PM
David M.

Who could have seen that coming?
Old 08-02-2022, 04:37 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
ya...been hearing this too...makes me rethink going to the MN state fair later this month!!!!!

No chance I'm taking my family. Was thinking James J. Hill but not that either. Sucks
Old 08-02-2022, 04:43 PM

As an exhibitor, I expected this as less than 1% of customers wore masks. I should have worn one as I did last year, and now I will probably suffer for that. I've already had Covid once and took the infusion last time, which I would think about if I get it again.

Let's hope this isn't a rampant exposure where many get Covid!!!!

Stay safe.

Steve_NY
Old 08-02-2022, 04:47 PM
Bob McLean

Stuff was going around in my area a couple weeks ago. The people I knew who got it and had their shots recovered very fast and it only bothered them for about a day. I did not know anyone without their shots who contracted it. After their quarantine the ones who got it were just fine. I am done with the National and all bigger shows. Sticking closer to home.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:49 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Lots of reports of people getting Covid at National and bringing it’s home per Twitter. Could be a significant super spreader event if these stories are true. Shocked I tell you …. Shocked.
I saw a few people with masks on, but overall little to no masks, and big crowds in areas that weren't well ventilated. I'm vaccinated, I've felt fine since my return Sunday morning, and have tested negative but will continue to test throughout the week. We had to expect some cases to pop up.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:49 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NY View Post
As an exhibitor, I expected this as less than 1% of customers wore masks. I should have worn one as I did last year, and now I will probably suffer for that. I've already had Covid once and took the infusion last time, which I would think about if I get it again.

Let's hope this isn't a rampant exposure where many get Covid!!!!

Stay safe.

Steve_NY
I am skeptical that masks help.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:51 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hopefully it is minimal and hopefully those who got only have mild to minor symptoms.

I took some precautions as best I could but did not wear mask even though I had it with me.

I tested negative so I escaped luckily. Hopefully everyone here escaped it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-02-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
C'mon Pete...what's there to worry about?

Old 08-02-2022, 05:19 PM
A.J. Johnson

I think that twitter post said he personally knew 40 people from the show that came up positive. I know at least 2 so far. I took a test before getting on the plane and again when I got home and negative. Going to test for a couple more days. Hope I can dodge the bullet. But expect with all 3 shots even if I do get it, will only be minor symptoms. I'm more afraid of long covid than just the one and done version. yikes.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 08-02-2022, 05:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
The medical community for the most part says that N95s and KN95s do. I would agree that the cloth ones don't do much.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:53 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
C'mon Pete...what's there to worry about? ]
--
Attached Images
File Type: png alfred-neuman.png (76.7 KB, 1329 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-02-2022, 05:56 PM
George E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The medical community for the most part says that N95s and KN95s do. I would agree that the cloth ones don't do much.
If worn properly. I only recall seeing a few people over the last two years who I would judge as wearing a useful mask in a useful way. I tried to shake their hands, but they avoided me for some reason.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
If worn properly. I only recall seeing a few people over the last two years who I would judge as wearing a useful mask in a useful way. I tried to shake their hands, but they avoided me for some reason.
There seems to be less room for error with certain N95s with overhead straps. It's easy to get a tight seal. Not at all pleasant to wear, but to an extent one adjusts. Just an observation not a judgment, but with the continued aggressive presence of the virus even in the warm weather, I find it surprising that the vast majority of the populace has just abandoned masks even in indoor settings.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:19 PM
Bruce Mattioli

OMG not this again..
Old 08-02-2022, 06:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There seems to be less room for error with certain N95s with overhead straps. It's easy to get a tight seal. Not at all pleasant to wear, but to an extent one adjusts. Just an observation not a judgment, but with the continued aggressive presence of the virus even in the warm weather, I find it surprising that the vast majority of the populace has just abandoned masks even in indoor settings.
Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-02-2022, 06:25 PM
pete ullman

Did someone say”guns?”
Old 08-02-2022, 06:38 PM
Rich Klein

I know many of my fellow Hobby Hotline hosts who shared a beach house during the show have come down with the virus.

Frankly, as virulent as things were last week I was totally comfortable when the Dr told me NOT to go because of my wife's Covid diagnosis. Thankfully she is doing much better

Rich
Old 08-02-2022, 06:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I know many of my fellow Hobby Hotline hosts who shared a beach house during the show have come down with the virus.

Frankly, as virulent as things were last week I was totally comfortable when the Dr told me NOT to go because of my wife's Covid diagnosis. Thankfully she is doing much better

Rich
Glad to hear she's on the mend Rich.

-
Old 08-02-2022, 07:07 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

After having cancer twice and now the luck of an absolute crap immune system from the chemo, I got the early shots for the virus as soon as it was allowed. Also had a booster last winter and another at my docs request this year.

Try to stay as safe as possible but still got a case last summer and am just now recovering from my second diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I will say that the infusion therapy is awesome on keeping it at a crappy flu level if your doc can get you in quick.

At this point and after all this crap, I just am throwing up my hands and living my life. I think this is now the world we live in and I am sick of hiding. Que cera cera.

Going where I want now whether my wife hates it or not, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:20 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I hear you. Stay healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
After having cancer twice and now the luck of an absolute crap immune system from the chemo, I got the early shots for the virus as soon as it was allowed. Also had a booster last winter and another at my docs request this year.

Try to stay as safe as possible but still got a case last summer and am just now recovering from my second diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I will say that the infusion therapy is awesome on keeping it at a crappy flu level if your doc can get you in quick.

At this point and after all this crap, I just am throwing up my hands and living my life. I think this is now the world we live in and I am sick of hiding. Que cera cera.

Going where I want now whether my wife hates it or not, lol.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:47 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Seriously? Are you in the medical field? If masks don’t help, the next time you have surgery or any type of medical procedure just tell the doctor not to wear one. Since you don’t think they really do much.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:51 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

Rich
Glad she is all right Rich.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:54 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Seriously? Are you in the medical field? If masks don’t help, the next time you have surgery or any type of medical procedure just tell the doctor not to wear one. Since you don’t think they really do much.
LOL, you seem to be quite the expert. I gave you my opinion, you don't have to like it but it is mine. I am skeptical of your medical credentials as well.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:58 PM
D@le Irv*n

Who would have thunk everyone who attended the National would have been unvaccinated.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:00 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default Covid is rampant

Covid is rampant again -take any precaution you feel is necessary and in your personal best interest --
Old 08-02-2022, 08:37 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
Covid is rampant again -take any precaution you feel is necessary and in your personal best interest --
It is around here to some extent. Not like the outbreak before shots and boosters. Also, I don't know of anyone dying like in the previous one, in early 2021.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Oh, for f***'s sake, haven't you learned by now: don't feed the trolls.

Or not...
Old 08-02-2022, 09:08 PM
A.J. Johnson

My thought process after playing it pretty safe for last two years is that this strain doesn't seem to be as deadly as the OG and Delta. I would rather not get it if possible but am tired of wearing the mask and am ok with relying on the 3 shots to protect me from a serious outcome. On the uber ride from Philly to AC, I read about POTUS doing ok after his two bouts and thought screw it...I'll do the show maskless. It's really tough to transact not to mention converse with people wearing a mask. Day 1 back in LA and so far so good. Tested twice and still in the negative. Will test again tomorrow just to be safe. Hoping all my fellow hobbyists who came down with it get well soon with mild symptoms!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 08-02-2022, 09:34 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
How is this website free? With takes like this Leon should be charging at least 19.99 per month for the laughs.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:01 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I brought a mask on Friday, of course I grabbed the one with a broken strap so it was useless. I got a very sore throat later that day and thought perhaps, but it was too quick for reaction from exposure. It was probably from not drinking any water during the day as my mouth and throat were dry. Wore one all day on Saturday. Sore throat went away on Sunday. Wife with severe anxiety insisted on test which was negative. My body temp runs low. It was 96.6º - 97.8º Sunday to Monday. Waiting for my wife's 50th birthday in a few weeks so we can get our second boosters together. Still wear my mask in the mall, grocery store and on the Metro. Cautious pragmatism is best.

Unless you are a pathologist or virologist your Qmoron conspiracy theory uneducated comments are just verbal diarrhea and I don't give a rat's rump what you have to say.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-02-2022, 11:25 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Quote:
LOL, you seem to be quite the expert. I gave you my opinion, you don't have to like it but it is mine. I am skeptical of your medical credentials as well.
+1 for you Bob...lack of even the tiniest bit of research is amazing.
(Firefighter emt)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:43 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
I agree. I’ll choose to listen to my friends and family in the medical field as well as the doctor I have to see monthly for a chronic Illness over some Jack ass on a baseball card message board. But Ike Adam said don’t feed the trolls. They live off fighting over things they aren’t qualified to discuss.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:06 AM

Personally, I don’t see what good will come from this thread or why it’s sitting on the main page of the WWII and Older BASEBALL CARD section. Let’s talk cards here not Covid. Can we banish this thread to the water cooler section (where it belongs) just like Joe Jax was banished from baseball?!?!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47C8D1A2-E53B-4E7B-B3E0-D7A634100FEA.jpg (154.9 KB, 1081 views)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Personally, I don’t see what good will come from this thread or why it’s sitting on the main page of the WWII and Older BASEBALL CARD section. Let’s talk cards here not Covid. Can we banish this thread to the water cooler section (where it belongs) just like Joe Jax was banished from baseball?!?!?
I wouldn't mind this Jackson being banished to my collection. I always consider cards that I end up with as serving a life sentence, with the occasional chance for parole for a few lucky ones.

Brian (warden of the brianp-beme penitentiary for wayward cards)
Old 08-03-2022, 06:10 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

I assume we can all agree guns should be restricted, Warren Spahn was better than Sandy Koufax, masks should be worn, and Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame?
Old 08-03-2022, 06:58 AM
Frank Wakefield

Pete gets in the Hall 363 days a year... any day they're open if he's bought an admission ticket for the day. Read The Fix Is In, then you'll be hard put to think he should be inducted.

I don't think the thread should be banished. Collector Folks here that have been to Atlantic City for the National, or in close continued proximity to those that did, would benefit from being aware of the situation. A week or so before the National, I flew from Nashville to Philadelphia, and back. Signs in the Nashville airport said masks were required in the airport. Maybe one in 15 people had a mask on. I wore an N-95. In Philly airport I saw no signs, and about the same ratio of masks on people. Last month I was in about a dozen different courtrooms. Masks were required in one of them, where case numbers were way up and the state had designated the county a 'red county'. It's been a while since the courts were first not open for in person attendance, allowing telephonic or virtual appearances only. After courts reopened they required masks for a while. I think folks should mask when bunched together, let others know if you test positive, and self quarantine if you've been exposed. I'm not saying to like that... just do it.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:14 AM
Tom Boblitt

of the guys I hung around most, 3/6 wound up with COVID. Not great odds.

I've tested 3 times since returning home, all neg, and have now returned to the office today (Wednesday) to work.

I had COVID OG Last January, got two vaccinations, a booster and had COVID Omicron this January. Hoping that lingering antibodies saved me from round #3 in Atlantic City.

Most all I know have just mild cold-like symptoms. I do have a friend that got heavier flu-like symptoms with high 103+ fever but he's getting better.

It's the new normal.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:21 AM
Jason Seidl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I told my friends this was going to be a super spreader event. Only like 10% of people had masks. I just got over COVID two weeks prior so I was ok.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:45 AM
D@le Irv*n

Anyone who was there and even those that weren't should take Vitamin D and Vitamin C+ Zinc daily or insure you eat enough of the proper foods that contain these vitamins. Get fresh air and exercise if you are able.

Despite the mass vaccination effort, covid, although much milder now (cold/mild flu like symptoms) is running rampant again and has been, despite not a lot of media coverage about it for sometime now.
What is zinc plus vitamin C good for?
Vitamin C and zinc play important roles in providing adequate nutrition and immune defense. This supplement may be given to prevent or treat certain deficiencies caused by poor nutrition, different diseases, medications, or pregnancy.Feb 25, 2022

https://people.com/health/us-covid-c...l-day-weekend/
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/u-c...9.html?src=rss

Last edited by irv; 08-03-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Wait, Joe Jackson was banished because he had Covid? I gotta read more...

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-03-2022 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:52 AM
Rob

Oy vey...Who cares? It's not 2020 any more. The symptoms have become so mild. Why is it even still a story? People brag about getting covid like they brag about being at Woodstock.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Bill Roberts

Oh good. Another Covid thread. On a supposedly prewar baseball card forum.

Clicks are clicks, I guess.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:58 AM
T!M R10rd@n

And the 400+ people dying each day appreciate that at least it is a mild death.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 08-03-2022, 08:11 AM
Gary McNabb

Default I got sick

I'm the collector who was being pushed in a wheelchair looking for Highlanders. When I got home I started to get sick and tested positive for covid.Because of my other medical problem I have to go to the hospital for a treatment. Sill very happy what I got !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_2a92.jpg (196.7 KB, 824 views)

Last edited by garymc; 08-03-2022 at 10:40 AM. Reason: PHOTO
Old 08-03-2022, 08:13 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Oy vey...Who cares? It's not 2020 any more. The symptoms have become so mild. Why is it even still a story? People brag about getting covid like they brag about being at Woodstock.
20 people in the state of NJ yesterday would beg to differ.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
Oh good. Another Covid thread. On a supposedly prewar baseball card forum.

Clicks are clicks, I guess.
and ignorance is bliss
Old 08-03-2022, 08:30 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Monster card Ryan.

-
Old 08-03-2022, 09:19 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
And the 400+ people dying each day appreciate that at least it is a mild death.
I'm sure they were all very healthy going in too.