NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Default Who do you collect with?

Posted By: Sean

Okay so here it is...4 months in the making and my first post is ready. Maybe kind of lame but....be kind.

Who do you collect with?

Growing up I would collect cards with my younger brother and 2 friends from school, and every summer we would get a big "show" together in one of our garages and place an ad in the paper for a baseball card show (usually during the British Open, not sure why?). We would have great turnouts and we would sometimes find others who would want to buy a table at next years show and that was my group. They have since than all stopped collecting cards, but I'm trying to get my brother back in to it.

Today it's a bit different; I pretty much have my room in the basement with my box of cards and my computer. I guess my wife is kind of involved, usually asking "who is (insert name here) from PayPal for $129?" This summer I'm planning on going out to local shows and meet some hobby buddies again...I consider everyone here my hobby friends, but there is nothing like showing your fellow collector the great card you picked up yesterday.

Well that's it, I know many of you here probably have sons and daughters, husbands or wives and friends you collect with in person and just wanted to hear some stories.

Sean BH

Old 05-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

For me it is pretty much a solo venture. My wife is polite but not truly interested in my collection. She can however identify T206's, T205's, and T202's. I hope that as my son and daughter get older that they will show some interest in the hobby; they will certainly be exposed. Depending on your level of interaction on the board, you will find that there are a great number of individuals willing to share experiences, advice, and expertise in their areas of interest. Welcome aboard.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

My wife has a true appreciation for the asthetic and historical value of my collection. My daughters are gaining appreciation and showing moments of interest. They like to look around my office and ask about "things". They do enjoy stories that go with pieces and when I build up a game or rivalry we watch on the TV or in person. I collect both cards and memorabilia. Most of my serious hobby interaction however, is with collectors of like interests. This board is amazing. I wish the vintage memorabilia board had this level of participation. Maybe over time...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Mike H.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Williams

I collect alone, my stuff is in either an old card catalog file from a library, or in my office at work.

My oldest daughter, age 14, does like history, and likes occasionally to see some of the older stuff. My wife merely sees dollars going to waste that could have been spent on new carpet, kitchen cabinets, and Longaberger baskets.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I collect alone...my wife has no interest really...I'll show her some of the stuff I pick up and she feigns interest. She was a baseball fan at one time and she can tell you just about every player who played for the Braves from 1982-about 88...and she knows most NL players from that time period, but she really has shown no interest since I've known her. My 5YO has yet to show an interest, but I'm hoping someday that we'll be collecting buddies.

When I was much younger my brother and I used to collect together, but he lost interest over the years and it all became mine....it really became all mine when we were fighting one day and he started tearing 1965 Topps cards in half and sticking them underneath his locked bedroom door...that really got to be a panicky situation for me when he tore an Ernie Banks in half and shoved it under the door....Dad put an end to that very quickly. My brother still looks out for me though and has contributed a lot of great stuff to my collection that he finds at auctions/garage sales, et cetera.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I guess you could say I collect with Lee, but we have different tastes in cards. As kids, we collected together along with a bunch of kids from the neighborhood. We probably knew at least a dozen or more kids in town (pop under 6k) that collected and were also trading an competing. I remember when found out one of the kids was ordering complete sets from Renta Galasso(sp) in the 70s and thought that was cheating.

We bought everything. Baseball, football, basketball and hockey. I remember the first pack of cards I got was on the way home from a trip to the Twin Cities and we stopped in St Cloud for gas. It was a pack of 1969 Topps football and remember getting Larry Czonka, Jerrel Wilson and Jan Stenarud. That following summer we bought our first baseball cards and I remember Tito Fuentes being in the first pack I opened.

I remember my first pack of basketball cards and getting an Artis Gilmore card with monster afro. My first hockey pack I remember getting STan Makita and GUmp Worsley. He really should have worn a mask. He gives Yogi a run for ugly.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Then he lost interest. he was afraid to tell me; he thought I might die or something, sao he told his dad to tell me. Since then, it's me, myself and I.

NOW: My peer reader is Leslie Nicoll, as always I share my scans with everyone, and I go to the movies with Pete Tannen, Eric Hooper, Sid Melucci, Melidna Milks, CityGirl, Kirkmisic,, Michael--Hanratty?..and anyone else who shows up.
Monday, June 12, about 400 will show up. On the whole, it's cheaper than baseball cards, but MUCH more time consuming...

..and I think maybe I'd better read Mann's "The Black Swan" again...

Old 05-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Collecting was always a VERY solitary pursuit for me. I've had my collection since I was a kid in the early 80s, buying ratty T206s for a buck a pop from a local card store. As an adult I would sort of drift in and out of the hobby depending on what else was going on in my life.

It wasn't really until I discovered the collecting community on the internet a few years ago that I got into the hobby on a larger scale. Meeting collectors across the country and getting to know their interests and absorb that knowledge really added a whole new dimension to the hobby for me. The various hobby message boards have taught me a whole new way to collect - not only do I have a much greater appreciation for the historical significance of what I choose to collect, but I've met people that I now consider my friends. I never had any collecting friends before, and so there was never anyone to share enthusiasm with - which was probably why I drifted in and out of the hobby for so many years.

Discovering grading, and later discovering the auction houses I choose to buy from, has added even another dimension to the hobby for me. I'm happy to have met some great friends at all those different levels in the hobby, and as a reasult I can't imagine ever drifting out of the hobby again. I'm also very thankful to be able to work in the hobby to a small degree. To me, the hobby used to be just about cardboard - now it's about history and stories and conversations and people.

-Al

Old 05-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I don't know a single soul, outside this board, who even knows anyone that has ever heard of anyone that even knows vintage cards exist. (Well, except those that consider "vintage" to be 1970's, etc - but not the time periods we mostly deal with here.)

I took my cards to a restaurant to show some friends a few weeks ago, and had some of them spread out on the table. This guy and his family walk by the booth and he stopped like he hit a brick wall. Didn't quite know all of what they were (he was more into 1930's) but was excitedly explaining them to his son, about 7 or 8. I even took my N172 out of the toploader to let him hold it directly, and pointed out the the guy wasn't wearing a glove. hee. He was in awe. So at least I know there are other vintage collectors somewhere in my area.

Also, I have a friend at work with a 10-year old son that rabidly collects shiny cards. She has him up to about 14 vintage - mostly from things I keep an eye out for and pick up, or refer her to on BST- and he seems to have a true appreciation for them. I don't know if I would say she exactly "collects", but as we all know it is only a matter of time until the hook is set. lol. She likes to see the cards I pick up and can identify the major T sets, so there is some opportunity for conversation, anyway.

Joann

Old 05-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I have a wife and 3 daughters. 1 daughter has a passing interest in some cards, mostly ripping new packs. None have the slightest interest in vintage. That'a probably the reason Vintage boards have such a great following. All of us lone collectors have a place to show and talk about our passion and share it with someone that really does care. Joe

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

Thank god for the internet!

My fiance is tolerant so far ...she doesnt really care, but she at least will listen to me for a while...and she never asks how much they cost etc. She actually got me an ebay gift certificate.

My best friend collects comics , figurines and that sort of stuff...so we do talk about ebay, collecting etc ...but not actual cards.

I also collect coins to a lesser degree and you can always find someone in the family or at work who collects them as well.

I kinda of like being the only one who collects baseball cards...I dont think i would like it if they were too maintream.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

So far, just my e-mail pals. But I'm hoping at least one of these two grow up to be collectors. There's certainly hope, as Baby Drew is all boy while big sis Ella is already a big Cardinals fan and was pretty happy with the Fredbird and So Taguchi (her favorite player) cards I bought for her on eBay.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Old 05-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

My wife loves the cards.
As i've said before, we even take the things on vacations and take a look at them in between plays,musicals,movies,etc.
I am a lucky fella!
with Yawitz, i'm grateful for my email pals---Yawitz himself
has been my main trading pal---
and some b/s/t and board pals.

great hobby!!!

barry

Old 05-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Administrator

You're a lucky man, perfessor. No, I'm not talking about having me as an e-mail buddy, but about having a wife that has some enthusiasm for the hobby. Mine simply thinks I'm a total geek, which is probably at least somewhat true. But we have separate bank accounts, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

thanks, Steve.
I am lucky.
and you've been pretty lucky with those hockey cards lately!!
best,

barry

Old 05-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Not too shabby. Of course the thrill of the windfall wore off today when I wrote CitiMortgage an insanely large check. But I did squirrel some away for a Green Cobb, an E93 Wagner or something like that. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, ya know.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jason

My first foray into card collecting with friends was in 1981 with my next-door neighbors (Brother Bill & Casey) at The Old Mill convention in Mountain View California. Willie McCovey was there signing and I was really pleased that I was able to obtain a Vida Blue Rookie and a box each of the strange, new Donruss & Fleer waxes.

Bill & Casey remained my collecting buddies until I was about 1986 when they moved away and then I became friends with I guy on my baseball team (Kevin) who I am pleased to say is still a good friend even now. Kevin’s main focus is cards from the 1950’s but he also appreciates, and can converse on, the merits of my 19th century purchases.

More recently I have met and enjoyed the friendship of several early baseball collectors that I met through this very forum (Rob & Rob, Jimmy and Barry to name a few) - thanks guys for making the hobby more fun!

I guess we all need collecting buddies and without them to share in the joy of our pickups and research, the hobby would be a duller place.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

When I started to collect it was with my son.
Cards at first then expanding into autographs.
At first I would write to retired players asking for a signature. In those days, almost all of them willingly obliged. Even Joe DiMaggio. If you would send DiMaggio ONE item a month, he would sign it. But don't try more than that. . Joe Sewell would thank you for asking him.
I got an index card signed by Ted Williams. My son and I knew he was a tough signer (we used to read Baseball Hobby News), and one day I received a bunch of stickers in the mail. It was some type of charitable organization and the stickers were adorned with my name and address and an American flag. I got the idea, because Ted was an ex Marine that I should use these stickers, when I wrote him. It took one year, but he did return a signed index card for us.
We would keep charts of the date we mailed away to the player for an autograph and when we would get it back. I still have some of those charts . We would always get excited when a reply would come in the mail. Some never answered and that was always a disappointment.
Now my son lives in another state, works for ESPN on the Baseball Tonight show, does some blogging and Internet broadcasting also, and still collects. His collecting now centers around broadcasters, sportswriters and Peanuts. But we still fondly recall the old days of checking the mailbox and buying our first complete card set at a show (1975 Topps).

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 05-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

My wife tolerates my collecting and spending, I guess that is as good as it is going to get. Luckily she went to Chicago and met Tim Newcomb, Mike Peisch, Peter Thomas and a couple other guys and recognized them for the good guys they are so she doesn't think my fellow collecting buddies are geeks or have no lives.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: drc

I'm the only one I know in person who collects what I do, but I know a couple of people in the neighborhood who are knowledgeable collectors in other areas (antique silver, movie posters). We'll talk about new buys and stories in our respective areas, and I've learned about different areas from them.

I know a lot of people who don't collect anything. They have other interests, whether it's gardening or reading. My retired dad is one of those who has never collected. For his loose change and business cards, I gave him a little 1950s silver trinket box given as an award to NBA basketball George Senesky. I know dad is fond of the box, it sits on his desk with his change inside and he asked if he should polish it or leve it tarnished. So that box constitutes his entire sports memorabilia collection.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: george gogol

My father has always been involved in my collecting endevers, ever since he bought me my first card, 1972 topps Clemente, in 1986. However he has never collected for himself until three years ago when he discoverd T-cards. Him and I have been working together, chipping away at the set ever since. The hours we spend talking cards, auction, and laughing at Mr. Mint are truly priceless. We currently have about 150 tobacco cards, 130+ are T-206's.

By the way, great thread, it is good to hear how everyone collects.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joey

I started collecting when I was six (1981). I would get packs from behind the counter at my dad's gas station. When I was eight I really got into it. I had a friend and we were sorta in a competetion to see who could have the best collection. Every day after school one of our grandparents would pick us up from school and take us to their house so we could trade for and hour or two. We mainly collected cards from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. We would go to shows and so on together. When I was ten my dad got involved and really started to collect with me. I still have some of the 1987 cases we bought (Bonds rookie) still unopened. When I was fourteen and started high school I got away from cards and switched gears to girls. Also I had a sour taste in my mouth from the same friend I collected with stole my Rod Carew rookie, Johnny Bench rookie, and my Nolan Ryan rookie (although I couldn't prove it). He was the only one that knew where I hid them and I caught him hiding a 73 Willie Stargel under his dresser of mine while we were trading. He said he was going to hide it a see if I knew it was missing. I got my first tobacco card (T206 Abbaticchio, Brown sleeves - Sovereign back). In August of 05 I wanted to start collecting something again so I started with autographs. That did not hold my attention long. Then when I was cleaning out a junk room I came across my Abbaticchio again. I knew then what my goal was to collect...t206 with sovereign backs. I had one card in Jan. I made my first card purchase on ebay jan. 12, 06. I know have 53 total with six hall of famers. I collect on average 10 to 14 a month. I have became a t206 junkie. Also, I can appreciate the fact that most wives do not truely appreciate the true beauty of a good tobacco card. So if anyone comes across an extra sovereign back they need to get rid of, please keep me in mind.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I collect in competition with the other Gils. One collects coins, and the other non-sports. We all have similarly (un)advanced collections. The coin Gil is a real nut job, he has books of coins which are all alike, differing only by date, and sometimes mint mark. How boring! Recently he has branched out into type collecting for sets which he will never be able to collect 'em all. In some instances though, he is assembling multiple examples of the same date, produced by the same mint; varying only by changes in the actual dies used for striking the coins, or degredation of individual dies. I gotta keep after this twerp. He loses touch with reality.

The non-sports Gil assembles WWII related cards. For the most part, he has it easy! Entire sets can sometimes be bought for the price of a single nice baseball card. So he goofs off a lot, loses direction, and starts sets like American Indians and other stuff which is off focus. I have to keep after him too, in order to keep him on track.

No one else will have anything to do with us, or our collections. My wife has been convinced that even if this stuff is not a good investment, it is sellable. So, it is a method of forced savings (but she doesn't know where on my perception of the food chain my cards, pets, and other edible entities lie).

Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Gil,

The coin collecting Gil seems to have parallel interests as other card collectors. Collecting coins from the same year and mint mark with the only difference being die degradation is similar to those that collect T206 cards with the varying color variations. Just how many shades of pink, red or orange are there? Does the card collecting Gil do the same thing for baseball cards?

I collect mainly baseball cards but I do dabble in non-sports or other cards as well, nothing wrong with a diversion to break it up.

Your comment about your wife thinking that the stuff is "sellable" is very perplexing. I think most of us would rather get rid of our significant others (wives, husbands) rather than get rid of our collections. Your comment about the food chain kind of summed it up though, the only part missing was WIFE. Where does WIFE stand in the food chain of cards, pets and other things we cherish in life? Hmmm, time to get the priorities straight. Gil, if given a choice in life to have the one card (or set) you absolutely want or keep the significant other - what would you chose? Lets make this less volatile, the significant other gets to live happily ever after without harm (no alimony payments either). I don't mean to hijack this thread.

In my hometown I collect by myself. I used to collect with a lot of other kids when I started out but that was a while back. I've only kept in contact with one other serious collector from those days. Today I suffer through my addiction to cards in the privacy of my own office. My wife and kids don't know or understand my addiction other than they shouldn't play with MY CARDS. I do however belong to a very small support group of collectors that have an affinity for the same type of cards I collect and they also share the same affliction of collecting these little pieces of card board.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Edited to delete stooopidity beyond what I like to reveal.

As far as color variations for cards, my primary interest is in the variations of the entire card, rather than solely the background coloration. Surely the compatitively inexpensive sets like w517s and Batter Ups offer this collecting option at a much lower cost than Leader Novelty, UJs, and other less common options. But I like the OJ variations best.

I once viewed a color set of early 1800s copper cents at a show. Colors from yellow, thru tan, brown, red, orange, black and green made for an impressive display. Arguably blue and purple were also represented. The natural toning of silver coins can be quite awesome, with many colors represented on a single coin side or both sides.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

That Mark Simon; who's musings can be read on ESPN.Com as part of their "short hops" is your son. Wow, it's really a small world then

Rich

Old 05-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Yes that is my son.
He is the head researcher on Baseball Tonight.
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss