NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Default O/T Frustrated eBay seller

Posted By: David Smith

I know this is off topic and I apologize but this seller, I think, represents the frustration with eBay, the new management, their ideas and the wrong (my opinion) direction the company is going.

Here is his farewell auction and his reasons for leaving. Item number: 280240449881.

This guy routinely bought items at a local auction and turned around and sold them for much more on eBay. He really did make his living by selling items on eBay. So, his making this decision and saying what he does IS serious and eBay's new management SHOULD take this guy and what he says into consideration before they make nay MORE changes.

Just my two cents,

David

Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

Okay, My bids IN! I've heard a seller say that last yesr alone he gave ebay $40,000. WoW.... But this year he'll have to give them upwards of $80,000, and he just can't afford to pay it, so he's completely bringing back his business to his website. He added that he knows that in the begining he'll take a loss, but hopes that in the furture he'll be able to drive business towards his website by conventional internet means.

I feel their pain.........

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

"responce"

Sorry to be that guy, but it drives me crazy when people don't spell check before listing.

In all seriousness, good luck to the seller

Old 06-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Ebay's new policy sucks. Period. Check out the negative that someone just left him....They left a negative because he doesn't take Paypal???? WTF? He clearly states in his auctions that he doesn't take Paypal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270241901181

Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

This man has b---s and my respect....

E bay is WRONG about their new policy, wrong about giving some abusing buyers the upper hand and everyone that sells on e bay should thank this guy that makes a stand for what is right, fairness. E bay should allow sellers to leave negatives when someone does not pay and has filed FVF....feedback really does not matter anymore and since the "fvf discount" is a blatant BS tactic, most buyers will only leave 4 stars and 4.6 is needed for all categories, not weighted average as it should be.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I could see leaving when your expenses are doubling (40k to 80k) but I can't see leaving on the basis of the new feedback policy.  I buy 99% of the time. The last time I sold anything on eBay was over a year ago so these new feedback policies mean little to me.  When I bid on a card, I look for a feedback number and percentage, It is an extremely rare ocassion that I go into the feedback center and read what was left by previous buyers..  I know that if you sell enough on eBay someone is gonna leave negative feedback.  Its a fact, so I don't use negative feedback as a basis for not bidding. 

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com

Old 06-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Perhaps I've missed some rule(s), but it appears a glitch in the feedback system that, if you are a horrible unethical cheating slimey buyer-only, when you turn to sell you'll have a 100% feedback. Also, if two people are equally good sellers, one will get a higher feedback rating as he use his seller's account to buy, while the other doesn't buy. It's true information on selling history is available, but, as noted above, many just look at overall feedback score. All these people will notice is that the horrible unethical slimeball has perfect feedback.

My opinion is if there isn't honest feedback for the buyer, there should be NO feedback for the buyer. In the current system, buyer's feedback is meaningless (Everyone gets 100% buyer's feedback in our lollipop world!) to deceptive.

Under the current system, if bank presidents were the sellers and John Dillinger was the buyer, John Dillinger would get 100% buyer's feedback. How does John Dillinger or Charles Ponzi having a perfect buyer's feedback rating help anyone on eBay (other than John Dillinger or Charles Ponzi)? What useful information can any eBay buyer, seller or browser get from Ponzi's 100% buyer's rating? What useful information does one get from anyone's 100% buyer's rating, knowing that everyone has the same rating?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

It's funny that until David mentioned it, I didn't realize that Buyer's feedback ratings are absolutely worthless since they can ONLY be 100%.

And just for the heck of it, I told the person who left that feedback that they were a bad person.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

What some people do to circumvent ebay's new rules is to leave "positive" feedback but leave a negative message. It doesn't factor into the average rating, but if someone looks through the feedback they see it.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Matt, from what I understand Ebay will take those types of feedbacks down.

Sellers are making too much of this feedback situation. Who cares what some
mutt says? As long as one is getting a fair price for items and acts professionally
they should have no problem. IMO those freaking regarding the Ebay changes
bring it on themselves.

The guy shown here who got a neg for not taking paypal is a perfect example.

Would anyone here not buy from him simply because of that neg? You may not buy from him because
he doesn't take paypal but that is a whole another story.

Sometime I think many take feedback personally when it is business.....

Steve

Old 06-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

A seller can't warn others, nor can a buyer warn others. Sellers can't leave negative feedback. Buyers can no longer email a bidder to tell them that what they're bidding on is fraudulent. Win-Win situation for eBay.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

In typical fasion...

eBay sent this message to lance galloway (bamacollection).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
MC024 eBay Listing Removed ( 218271777)

Dear bamacollection(lrgalloway36@bellsouth.net),

Thank you for your bid on the following auction-style listing:

280240449881 - Hand Written & Signed Good-By to Ebay Note, NR

Unfortunately, eBay has removed this auction-style listing. All bids or offers on this listing have been canceled. Because the listing was ended, you no longer have any obligation to purchase this item. If the seller chooses to relist the item, you're welcome to bid on it again.

Listings are removed for different reasons. For example:
- The way the item was listed may violate eBay policy.
- The removal may be part of a separate action taken by eBay that is unrelated to the listing itself.

We hope you understand that, due to privacy concerns, we're unable to discuss the details of why this listing was ended. However, please note that the removal of this listing should not suggest that this seller's standing in the eBay Community has been called into question.

For more information on why eBay may remove a listing, please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/listing-ended.html

For information on how you can protect yourself and help ensure a positive buying experience in the future, visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/buyer_checklist.html

We're sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety

No wonder the guy is upset. He can't even sell a piece of paper without Ebay getting involved!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I don't understand why people gripe and complain about ebay. Ya it sucks that they have raised there fees, but what alternative do 99.9% of us have. Where else do you find a place where you could potentially have millions of people looking at your auction. The fees for ebay (listing and sold) are around 7%. Where is there an auction house or auctioneer that charges that little.

Ebay has opened our hobby to set the prices realisitically and to give us all a chance at winning cards we would have never dreamed of 20 years ago. Alot of ebay's policies make no sense and Paypal really sucks, but I see no other better alternative to selling and buying items.

Lee

Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

to be fair, a large part of what this seller is offering attract the 50+ menopausal women age demographic...so random acts of unpleasantries and neg feeds are to be expected.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

For most mid-range items, if you accept Paypal the combined fees between Ebay and Paypal are going to run between 12%-18% plus a couple more points for the 3rd party listing service I use. It's going to be more if you use other Ebay services such as extra pictures, bold, International visibility, 10 day auctions, etc...

If you're lucky you can offset some of this if some customers choose to pay with a check or money order.

Here's a full fee conversion chart.

http://www.powersellersunite.com/ebayfeechart.php

Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

To all,

I posted this auction and my message to show how some eBay sellers are getting so upset with the company that they are just quitting altogether.

I only know this seller because he used to go to a specific auction and buy a lot of items and then put them on eBay to resll (one of which was a Cameo Pepsin McMann pin in REALLY nice condition that was in a lot of political pins. I was going to go to the auction that day but, at the last minute, decided not to. I KNOW he bought the Cameo pin CHEAP and it sold on eBay for over $300 dollars).

I found out his eBay name and watched those items to see how well he did with them. For the most part, he did OK and was able to make selling things on eBay a full time job. Most weeks, he listed over 100 items.

So, there HAD to be more than just one Negative Feedback that made him take the drastic measure of quitting eBay. I know he used to accept PayPal, so maybe he got burned on some of those deals?

David

Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

"Alot of ebay's policies make no sense and Paypal really sucks, but I see no other better alternative to selling and buying items."

Lee is right, but eBay has to be very concerned about the auction site in distant second place that is quickly moving up on them. iOffer continues to gain tremendous ground and at the current rate will overtake eBay in listings by the end of this year.

eBay view charts 13,624,274 -52713 -0.39% July 3, 2008 12:07 pm

iOffer view charts 4,785,924 14690 0.31% July 3, 2008 12:15 pm

I am still selling on eBay, but have had a rash of zero feedback bidders since the new policy changes that are obviously deadbeats. Here is a response from a zero feedbacker I blocked yesterday. They opened their account in March, but just now started bidding on a bunch of auctions all at once:

HAY! I WANT THIS CARD. YOU BLOCKE MY FROM BIDDING ON IT?! HOW CUM? YOU UNBLOCK ME NOW OR YOU BE SOREY!