NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Love all those Giants pennants -- had no idea there were so many variations.

I just bought a couple of antique frames at an estate sale -- they were covered in dirt. I cleaned them off and the wood was beautiful. I used them to frame the two pennants you see here.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg two banners.jpg (53.5 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg green banner.jpg (45.1 KB, 456 views)

Last edited by sayhey24; 09-25-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Mark - Do you think it's legit? the buyer obviously did. It looks awfully nice for being 100+ years old. Plus, the "moth hole" doesn't really look like a moth hole to me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _12.JPG (16.3 KB, 436 views)

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 09-25-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballdude View Post

This Dodgers pennant I can't see to find any information on, such as date. I've been told it dates to the 1950's. But they had just arrived in Los Angeles in 1958, so that is just a 2 year window. Not sure. I just loved the graphic of the sliding player, who actually looks quite a bit older than 1950's.
Hey Richard-

Your D**gers (sorry, can't type that word ) pennant reminds me a lot of a few Giants pennants I have; two of which are dated "1958." I've always been a tad suspicious of these pennants. They haven't been on ebay in awhile, but when they first popped up they all seemed to be pristine. Yours looks pristine, as well. The word at the time was "warehouse find." Possible, I guess, but also possible that they are re-pops...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2719.jpg (78.7 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2717.jpg (76.2 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2718.jpg (76.8 KB, 438 views)
Old 09-25-2014, 11:56 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree... It must have been a warehouse find...

Ebay sellers like to call it "New Old Stock". They always go for decent money, so the collecting consensus seems to be that they're legit. But to Rob's point... they're almost always NRMT or better.

For the record, there is a Cardinals Pennant from the same maker... same diagonal lines and all... I just can't seem to locate an image (and am short on time). It's definitely out there, though...
Old 09-25-2014, 12:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Mark - Do you think it's legit? they buyer obviously did. It looks awfully nice for being 100+ years old. Plus, the "moth hole" doesn't really look like a moth hole to me...
YES... no doubt... the oversized Cubs is legit. I previously owned a virtually identical White Sox example. Same structure, size, material, and even had the same leather Batter applique. Both are unquestionably authentic...

The White Sox came from a well-respected Board Member here, who had bought it contained within a patchwork quilt. The Quilt had been stitched together with this, and many other Pennants from the teens. The White Sox was the only Baseball example included within the Quilt, with the other Pennants being College or non-sports.

Below is an image of the matching White Sox. I assume the tassels were cut off, to enable the pennants to fit better within the framework of the Quilt....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White Sox 1.jpg (19.8 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg White Sox 2.jpg (14.0 KB, 429 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 09-25-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
YES... no doubt... the oversized Cubs is legit. I previously owned a virtually identical White Sox example. Same structure, size, material, and even had the same leather Batter applique. Both are unquestionably authentic...

The White Sox came from a well-respected Board Member here, who had bought it contained within a patchwork quilt. The Quilt had been stitched together with this, and many other Pennants from the teens. The White Sox was the only Baseball example included within the Quilt, with the other Pennants being College or non-sports.

Below is an image of the matching White Sox. I assume the tassels were cut off, to enable the pennants to fit better within the framework of the Quilt....
Maybe the buyer of the Cubs pennant is making a quilt!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Haha.... That's one you wouldn't want to drool on
Old 09-25-2014, 12:59 PM
chris

Here's a similar Reds pennant...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (18.7 KB, 430 views)
Old 09-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Mark - Do you think it's legit? the buyer obviously did. It looks awfully nice for being 100+ years old. Plus, the "moth hole" doesn't really look like a moth hole to me...
I was the under bidder and was buying it for resale. I think the buyer get a hell of a deal. That pennant was beautiful. I was surprised it didn't go for more. I love that sewn player on there.

There have been some great pennants on eBay over the last couple months. It's funny how I just mentioned that we were going through a "dry" stretch and then "Bam" out of the dry stretch. I will not highlight some of the other pennants I am speaking of, but I think some of the collectors know what I am referring to. Jason
Old 09-26-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Hey Richard-

Your D**gers (sorry, can't type that word ) pennant reminds me a lot of a few Giants pennants I have; two of which are dated "1958." I've always been a tad suspicious of these pennants. They haven't been on ebay in awhile, but when they first popped up they all seemed to be pristine. Yours looks pristine, as well. The word at the time was "warehouse find." Possible, I guess, but also possible that they are re-pops...
Thanks for the info. I didn't even think of a warehouse find. My first thought when I got it was the "Los Angeles" looked more modern than what the player graphic looked. So I kind of figured it might be from the 70's, from one of the "old timers" games they use to have. It looks pristine, but in actuality it looks to me like someone had it rolled up at one time.
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -
Old 09-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I was the under bidder and was buying it for resale. I think the buyer get a hell of a deal. That pennant was beautiful. I was surprised it didn't go for more. I love that sewn player on there.

There have been some great pennants on eBay over the last couple months. It's funny how I just mentioned that we were going through a "dry" stretch and then "Bam" out of the dry stretch. I will not highlight some of the other pennants I am speaking of, but I think some of the collectors know what I am referring to. Jason
Hey Jason-

I am a TEAM collector, whereas other guys (you, I think) concentrate of specific THINGS (pennants, pinbacks, figurals, etc). I won't ask for your trade secrets but it leads blows my mind that the THING guys can track down the "good stuff" on eBay. For example, I search Giants pin, Giants button, Giants pinback, etc. and get thousands of results. I can't even imagine how many results "baseball pin (or pennant)," etc. would get without the TEAM qualifier......
Old 09-26-2014, 02:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Below is an interesting image for Richard and Rob (and anyone else who might care...)

It's the same exact design Dodgers Pennant... However this one is dated "1958", has significant wear, and appears to be on softer/earlier vintage felt. So this might actually raise more questions than it answers about the newer looking/more plentiful NRMT examples out there... Warehouse "finds", or newer reproductions?

I think I'm leaning towards the latter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgers 58.jpg (72.3 KB, 450 views)
Old 09-26-2014, 03:05 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default pennants

looking for american nut and chocolate full size pennants 17x7
please post photos
thanks
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
Below is an interesting image for Richard and Rob (and anyone else who might care...)

It's the same exact design Dodgers Pennant... However this one is dated "1958", has significant wear, and appears to be on softer/earlier vintage felt. So this might actually raise more questions than it answers about the newer looking/more plentiful NRMT examples out there... Warehouse "finds", or newer reproductions?

I think I'm leaning towards the latter
Always keeping me busy, Mark.....and you may be on to something.

I checked the three I posted on the previous page....the middle one, blue and white, is by far the softest felt. The other blue one is kinda soft. The black one is that stiff, crappy "felt." Blue and white I think is definitely vintage; black undated is not; the other, I'm not sure.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Giants pennant

The two dated Giants pennants (1958) were part of a larger warehouse find in the Los Angeles area. It comes from the same find of the Rose Bowl pennants that you see from the 50's and 60's that are seen in quantity. I had the fortune to be one of the first to speak with the "finder" and bought all that if could of the tougher / rarer items. Both versions were in this group and both dated 1958. I probably had at least 20 at one time. Kind of like the 1963 Dodgers / Yankees World Series that I remember picking some out of a group of about 100 or more.

I do not believe there were any of the dated Dodgers version in that find and the Dodgers have always been a much tougher to find pennant both with and without the color. I believe that colorful Dodgers pennant is from that late 50 to early 60's era like the Giants. It is a great pennant. By the end of the 60's they started using brighter colors.

I am pretty sure Mark and some others see most of the same stuff I see on eBay, it just depends on who's interested an that item. I do collect Yankees items, but it is tough to compete with the big spenders unless I REALLY want an item. Pennants have always been a passion for me and I think they are very under appreciated in most collections.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great info Jason, and very interesting about the Warehouse find. That clears up a lot of the questions. Thanks for the informative post
Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Michael Osacky

Default 1947? Cubs pennant

Any idea what year this is? I think it is late 1940's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.0 KB, 400 views)
Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

That is a nice pennant and a tougher style. Generally you would think that a simple style like this would be 1940's, but I would lean late 50's to early 1960's because of the style and some similar I have seen in the past. I think they were a premium of some kind, although I can't recall. Just my opinion though and maybe others can provide more detail. Jason
Old 10-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Michael Osacky

Thanks Jason for your input.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It's a surprisingly rare one, and I agree with mid to late '50s.

It is not common, so there is some mystery around it. There is a 3/4 size (typically burgundy felt) and this full size version (I've only seen the blue).

Both are equally tough, but not impossible. I remember it taking me about 2 years to track down one of these, but a few have surfaced since then.

That doesn't add much insight here, but hope this helps a bit!
Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Shale Levine

Anyone able to tell me when this one was made. Considering the poor condition what would you value it at.
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dod.jpg (66.3 KB, 736 views)
Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Ryan

Hey guys,

I'm not very knowledgable with vintage pennants, and I'd love some help with this one. The letters are stitched, and the condition, aside from 2 pinholes, is great with great color.

Any help I could get with not only value, but ballpark year(s) it was made would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.nhcardguys.com

Old 10-12-2014, 12:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Late 1950s on the Dodgers. A great Dodgers Variation, but in that condition, it's worth very little. I would say $10 - $15 at best... it's just too faded and rough to be worth much more

In NRMT Condition, that one would be $125 - $150. I have also seen that same pennant with a "1959 NL Champs" overlay.

On Notre Dame, it's a tougher call. That embroidered, generic style spanned a few decades. Based on style and that type of thin cloth tassels, I would estimate 1940s, but there's a big potential variance on this one.

It could actually range from the 1920s - 50s. Sorry I cannot be of more help on that one. Neat pennant!

Last edited by perezfan; 10-12-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Ryan

Quote:
Late 1950s on the Dodgers. A great Dodgers Variation, but in that condition, it's worth very little. I would say $10 - $15 at best... it's just too faded and rough to be worth much more

In NRMT Condition, that one would be $125 - $150. I have also seen that same pennant with a "1959 NL Champs" overlay.

On Notre Dame, it's a tougher call. That embroidered, generic style spanned a few decades. Based on style and that type of thin cloth tassels, I would estimate 1940s, but there's a big potential variance on this one.

It could actually range from the 1920s - 50s. Sorry cannot be of more help on that one. Neat pennant!
Thank you for your help; my best guess was the 40's, as well.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I see you have it in a top loader which tells me it's in the range of about 30 inches. I agree that it could be anywhere from the 1910's to the 50's, but based on the size it is most likely 1930-40's and if I had to be exact I would say 40's. Earlier versions would more likely be made longer and by the 40's most schools had gone to screened graphics. Nice pennant in great shape. As for price, I would say $75-100 would be fair given it is Notre Dame. Jason
Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I see you have it in a top loader which tells me it's in the range of about 30 inches. I agree that it could be anywhere from the 1910's to the 50's, but based on the size it is most likely 1930-40's and if I had to be exact I would say 40's. Earlier versions would more likely be made longer and by the 40's most schools had gone to screened graphics. Nice pennant in great shape. As for price, I would say $75-100 would be fair given it is Notre Dame. Jason
Absolutely great information! Thank you, Jason!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Rob

Quote:

NY Giants used the same "star" motif in 1954.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14112_vintage_pennants.jpg (81.6 KB, 669 views)
Old 10-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Skip

Default Pelicans Pennant

I'm not sure if this is a New Orleans pennant or not. If it is it could be from the 1950s, but most likely from 1977 when the team was resurrected for one season. Any ideas? Skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PelsPennant4.jpg (66.4 KB, 629 views)
Old 10-21-2014, 03:51 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

1977 is much more likely on the Pelicans Pennant, given the graphics and design.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
1977 is much more likely on the Pelicans Pennant, given the graphics and design.
For sure....plus, it looks like that modern "felt."
Old 10-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Skip

Yes, the pennant I have is not the same type felt as for vintage ones. I'm agreeing that it's from the 70s. Thanks guys! Skip

Last edited by Nashvol; 10-25-2014 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 11-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Rob

WOW!!! Glad I didn't have my heart set on this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-NY-SF-G...vip=true&rt=nc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _12.JPG (46.8 KB, 652 views)
Old 11-04-2014, 12:27 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Rob, I have always been fascinated by these 3-D pennants. I thought it was strange how, a couple months ago, after not seeing any for years there were two NYY 3-Ds up at the same time on eBay, then one got pulled.

The coolest thing about them IMO is that the printing on these pennants have a felt surface, but it cracks like the screenprint.

Has anyone ever seen a 3-D pennant outside of the NY teams???

Last edited by thetahat; 11-04-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
WOW!!! Glad I didn't have my heart set on this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-NY-SF-G...vip=true&rt=nc
Yeah Rob, I bowed out at around $1500, but thought it was cool nonetheless.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Mike

I have seen Stanford and Illinois 3-D pennants but that is it. Not sure if Ames made them or not.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Same here... and perhaps a few more colleges, but as for the major leagues, it's only the 3 NY teams.

Would love to know where these were sold originally. Something has to explain the combination of high quality and scarcity. Maybe Macy's or FAO Schwarz (higher-end NYC Dept/Toy Stores?)

Last edited by perezfan; 11-04-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:37 PM

There were made by collegiate of ames. They made several 3D pennants for universities. In fact these are the only professional sports pennant I have ever seen made by collegiate of ames.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 PM

Here is a tougher pennant.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:43 PM

Here is one more that is not real common.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Nice pennants Dan
Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 PM
jerry

Old 11-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Joe

Mrmantle - I live in NJ now, but growing up in Columbus I became a big Bucks fan. Love the pennants. If you wish to part with any, PM me. I recall standing with Art Schlichter at the betting windows at Scioto Downs - when he was still QB
Old 02-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Rob

Huggins and Scott has a previously unseen 3D pennant to go with the NY teams....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81202_red_sox_pennant_with_bat.jpg (75.5 KB, 550 views)
Old 02-01-2015, 02:50 PM

mr. mantle

Do you have any OSU pennants with a mascot that look like these? I been looking for a one for years. The one I have now is a little newer than the others..

Please delete that boston pennant! I was hoping nobody would see that

Old 02-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Jordan Gluck

They also have a nice 3D Yankees one up for auction

Last edited by Teamgluck; 02-02-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrab View Post
mr. mantle

Do you have any OSU pennants with a mascot that look like these? I been looking for a one for years. The one I have now is a little newer than the others..

You know that never happens! Even on ebay, something good with terrible pictures and description still attracts attention.

You have a great group of pennants there!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:46 PM
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrab View Post
mr. mantle

No all mine are bowl game pennants.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Mikeknapp

I had to post this pennant that arrived today. This has to be the worst packing job I have ever seen. I knew the pennant was in rough condition and I wanted it as a filler so I am more amused than dismayed. However, since the seller mangled it further by packing it this way I am tempted to clean it and try to remove the ink notation and multiple stains. Has anyone ever had any success pressing, soaking or cleaning a 1970’s era pennant like this one? If so what worked and didn't work? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graphic2.jpg (74.1 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg Graphic1.jpg (69.3 KB, 464 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 02-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Default Pennant

I have had more than 1 pennant arrive that way too. Very frustrating. I can't believe how some ebay shippers put zero effort into their packaging. The other thing that sellers notoriously pack very poorly are early cabinet photos. Despite my message to the sellers about packing them with rigid support, I have received a handful just thrown into a bubble envelope or priority mail envelope, only to have them arrive in pieces.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:06 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Mike, what a cool pennant! I absolutely love the cloth pennants from the late 60s-early 70s era, they have such a nice texture and feel to them. I've never seen that Pirates pennant before. Unfortunately, on the cloth I can't imagine that the writing can come off without serious damage.